• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
PsychoJosh PsychoJosh for the record, I like the idea of a Wario Land Wario moveset better then the Wario we have. Would've supported had the thread not got locked. Ideally I feel PM got it right.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I do think people sleep on Isabelle in general. Animal Crossing is too massive to just say "Villager is all we need" and Isabelle may as well be one of Nintendo's major mascots nowadays with how much they promote her.

I could see her getting a Phoenix Wright type of moveset (with paperwork and whatnot) mixed with terraforming (by her enacting special Smash ordinances like building constructs on the battlefield), intermixed with more playful and inoffensive close combat.
I'd love this. But I've also had an incredibly meaningful revelation... You know how King Dedede flies by in the background of Dream Land? He became a playable character two games later... Guess who flies by in Smashville? Pete the postman! He skipped this entry in the series, merely delivering Villager's invitation, but the facts all point to him being our new AC character next game.

Yes, I'm kidding. :p I definitely think Isabelle has a chance of getting in at some point, or at least of being considered. Tom Nook and Rover seem kind of disliked by some, but I've actually liked them quite a bit ever since the beginning. However, outside of Villager, I don't think any character has stood out as representing the franchise quite as much as Isabelle.

D

Deleted member

Incineroar getting a decent spot in the new pokemon movie trailer

My tinfoil hat is on now. And nothing will get me to take it off. Except the reaility I will inevitably face tomorrow after im not tired anymore
I already acknowledged the trailer in the Incineroar thread, but I'm legitimately in tears of happiness now.
One of my newer favorite Pokémon that I've been wanting to see in Smash since I first saw it is getting major spotlight.

I still think Tapu Koko is the most likely, but this pushes up mah tiger up to a very high chance in comparison to other Alola options.

.....though Marshadow being featured in the same film means it's a major competitor as well.....

Last edited by a moderator:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
If there's any more 'Mons, it's going to be either a Gen 7 mon, most likely one that's proven to be highly popular, or another 'mon that's had a lot of requests.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I prefer history over "oh look I am popular and new"
It's all well and good if that's what you prefer, but keep in mind that "popular and new" has pretty much been Sakurai's MO with Pokémon newcomers (well not "popular," exactly, but "hot").

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Requests mean jack when it comes to Pokémon newcomers.
We don't know that for certain. I mean sure Mewtwo was a veteran but he only got in because of fan demand. The fact that he was left out of the base game is enough of a testament towards that. Newcomers are a bit different I'm sure but there's really no telling if popularity is a factor or not. I don't know how popular Lucario was back in the Brawl days but that could help determine your point.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Lucario was pretty popular, from what I remember. Maybe not to the levels of, say, Sonic, but decently well-wanted.

It helped that he was the first exposure of Gen 4 that we got. :p

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Can't say popularity doesn't matter for sure. Due to timing the last choices have been prior to the gen releasing, so decisions needed to be made somewhat prematurely. All there was to go on for the gen was who was going to get promotion, and who would work in Smash, not necessarily who would be popular. If we get a Gen 7 Pokemon that might be the case again, it might not be. Depends when the character was chosen...

I see no reason popularity couldn't be a factor if that character also fits the other two categories.

Also Lucario was a fairly popular pick pre-Brawl. He was definitely up there. Though comparing him to Sonic is unfair, as no character will ever match Sonic's demand.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So I'm just going to come out and ask. What are y'alls thoughts on Snake returning? So far I feel that the general consensus is that people want Snake to come back but don't see him as particularly likely, which I understand completely.

There are a few exceptions I've noticed where individuals absolutely despise the thought of Snake returning. I remember vividly that back when Pac-Man was announced someone tweeted "Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Mario in the same game! Sakurai if you cut Snake this'll be the best game ever made" I'm paraphrasing of course as I don't remember the exact tweet but how many of you share this viewpoint and if so, why?

Just wanted to get feedback on my personal favorite character without forcing you guys into the Snake thread. All replies are, of course, greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
So I'm just going to come out and ask. What are y'alls thoughts on Snake returning. So far I feel that the general consensus is that people want Snake to come back but don't see him as particularly likely, which I understand completely.

There are a few exceptions I've noticed where individuals absolutely despise the thought of Snake returning. I remember vividly that back when Pac-Man was announced someone tweeted "Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Mario in the same game! Sakurai if you cut Snake this'll be the best game ever made" I'm paraphrasing of course as I don't remember the exact tweet but how many of you share this viewpoint and if so, why?

Just wanted to get feedback on my personal favorite character without forcing you guys into the Snake thread.
I wouldn't mind him coming back. I didn't play as him much, but he was a really unique fighter, and I think his fans deserve to have him back.

D

Deleted member

We don't know that for certain. I mean sure Mewtwo was a veteran but he only got in because of fan demand. The fact that he was left out of the base game is enough of a testament towards that. Newcomers are a bit different I'm sure but there's really no telling if popularity is a factor or not. I don't know how popular Lucario was back in the Brawl days but that could help determine your point.
Lucario was pretty popular, from what I remember. Maybe not to the levels of, say, Sonic, but decently well-wanted.

It helped that he was the first exposure of Gen 4 that we got. :p
Can't say popularity doesn't matter for sure. Due to timing the last choices have been prior to the gen releasing, so decisions needed to be made somewhat prematurely. All there was to go on for the gen was who was going to get promotion, and who would work in Smash, not necessarily who would be popular. If we get a Gen 7 Pokemon that might be the case again, it might not be. Depends when the character was chosen...

I see no reason popularity couldn't be a factor if that character also fits the other two categories.

Also Lucario was a fairly popular pick pre-Brawl. He was definitely up there. Though comparing him to Sonic is unfair, as no character will ever match Sonic's demand.
It wasn't any sort of requests that got him in, though.

Lucario became a notable request after he had already been picked for the game before his movie was released.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It wasn't any sort of requests that got him in, though.

Lucario became a notable request after he had already been picked for the game before his movie was released.
So, here's the thing, you could very well be right but trailers and advertisements for the Lucario movie would have started ramping up around late 2004 early 2005 in Japan due to its debut in theaters in July. Our first viewing of Brawl didn't come until E3 2006, a year later, if memory serves and it was quite early in development. A year at most. So maybe Lucario being chosen wasn't a matter of demand at all or maybe they did take some input from fans. It could really go either way. Just playing a bit of devils advocate here.

D

Deleted member

So I'm just going to come out and ask. What are y'alls thoughts on Snake returning? So far I feel that the general consensus is that people want Snake to come back but don't see him as particularly likely, which I understand completely.

Just wanted to get feedback on my personal favorite character without forcing you guys into the Snake thread. All replies are, of course, greatly appreciated.
Snake is one of the few remaining veterans that would excite me if he returned. As for his actual chances, I can't really say for sure. All I can really do is wait and see what happens.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

For me, your first paragraph pretty much sums it up. I'd love for him to return, but given the circumstances between Konami and Kojima, Konami's generally poor course of actions over the last few years, and the unknown circumstances of why Snake was cut, I don't know how much of a chance he may or may not have.

As one of my favorite video game characters, and one of my most played characters in Brawl and PM, I hope that whatever kept him out of Smash For, won't be an issue going forward. Ideally if we do get that port, I'd like him (along with Wolf and Ice Climbers) to come back if possible, but it's hard to say as things currently stand.

Last edited:

Luminario

Smash Lord

I remember thinking he was so out of place in Brawl but I do certainly miss his unique moveset.
While probably unlikely as you've said, I'd like to either see him return or his moveset on a different character. I'm leaning more to the side of just bringing back Snake.
I gotta be honest though, I especially miss Calling to the Night on Shadow Moses Island. That song was quality and suited the somber atmosphere of the snowy stage.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I've always found it strange that Bomberman is generally considered likelier than Snake just because of Super Bomberman R. Not that I'm ignoring that it sold well as a Switch launch title.

Though to be fair, the original creator of Metal Gear had long left Konami and the new game (which is a controversial spinoff) won't even feature Snake. I do still want him and think he has a decent shot if Konami would put effort in wanting to strike a deal with Sakurai.

Staarih

Smash Master
I do think people sleep on Isabelle in general. Animal Crossing is too massive to just say "Villager is all we need" and Isabelle may as well be one of Nintendo's major mascots nowadays with how much they promote her.
I agree, Isabelle could definitely make it and Animal Crossing is big enough to warrant a second character. A clumsy, playful moveset would work great on her. She's indeed becoming a mascot of sorts - she has peaked #1 as favorite video game character in THIS Japanese girly magazine for example, and has for several issues along with Kirby and some Splatoon characters it looks like.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think Animal Crossing might just get two newcomers in Isabelle and KK Slider.
Both have something unique to them other than "Animal Crossing-stuff" and Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's biggest series.
Ofc I might be biased because if you visit Badge Arcade you can't not see Isabelle's doggo face.

Snake's nice.
Nice moveset.
Would prefer Bomberman but that's because of my personal nostalgia.
Snake's cool.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'd love Snake to return.

Far as I'm concerned, the more icons the better.

Something special seeing someone truly legendary show up.

:snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

Snake is the only guest character I really desire at this point. There are other 3rd party characters who would be nice additions, but
:4pacman::snake::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4cloud:
is the perfect 3rd party line up to me.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
PsychoJosh PsychoJosh for the record, I like the idea of a Wario Land Wario moveset better then the Wario we have. Would've supported had the thread not got locked. Ideally I feel PM got it right.
Yeah I don't know. I thought it was okay to do such a thread because there's a 4 page thread on BotW Link, which is a mostly cosmetic change for a veteran. WL Wario, the way I picture him, would be a totally different character from Wario Ware.

D

Deleted member

:snake::4cloud::5spyro::5crash:

Now this would be a hilariously ironic third party lineup for Smash.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Yeah I don't know. I thought it was okay to do such a thread because there's a 4 page thread on BotW Link, which is a mostly cosmetic change for a veteran. WL Wario, the way I picture him, would be a totally different character from Wario Ware.
I think it's because you mentioned you'd have him replace Wario, unfortunately. For the record, I still think it should've be fine.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Greninja isn't going anywhere. Like Lucario, he got lasting popularity and is easily the most popular Pokemon from his Generation. Personally, I think Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja are by far the most recognisable and popular Pokemon overall. Having them alone would be more than enough representation. Anything else is just a plus, including Jigglypuff.

D

Deleted member

In all seriousness, though, my ideal third party lineup would look like this:

:snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud::4bayonetta::5simonbelmont::5crash:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I'd like to see a western game character get in, but not Rayman. Currently I'm thinking of Master Chief, Crash Bandicoot, or Banjo Kazooie.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I just want these three Konami characters in Smash.

Snake
Bomberman
Simon Belmont

They were in a Gamecube game called DreamMix TV World Fighters but it was Japan-only. It was like a Smash game but with Konami and Hudson characters and Takara toys. It would be amazing if they were in a real Smash game with dozens of Nintendo characters and several iconic third-party characters.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I want Snake cause of veteran status, Banjo-Kazooie cause of nostalgia status, and Yooka-Laylee cause of new factor status and out of respect of Old Rare. I want nothing more, but I'd accept the likes of Bomber Man because of his old connection to Nintendo. I just am not a big fan of third party character in general, and rather see them all gone altogheter. They take way too much attention away from Nintendo characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Why everyone gotta hate on Rayman?
I just want these three Konami characters in Smash.

Snake
Bomberman
Simon Belmont

They were in a Gamecube game called DreamMix TV World Fighters but it was Japan-only. It was like a Smash game but with Konami and Hudson characters and Takara toys. It would be amazing if they were in a real Smash game with dozens of Nintendo characters and several iconic third-party characters.
You're gonna sit there and bring up DMTVWF, and not mention Megatron? We all know he's what's really missing here.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Greninja isn't going anywhere. Like Lucario, he got lasting popularity and is easily the most popular Pokemon from his Generation. Personally, I think Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Lucario and Greninja are by far the most recognisable and popular Pokemon overall. Having them alone would be more than enough representation. Anything else is just a plus, including Jigglypuff.
It's the pluses that make me really appreciate the Pokemon lineup in Smash.

While I like Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, and Mewtwo in Smash, it's always nice to see Pokemon that aren't being promoted by Pokemon Company in Smash as playable characters.

I just wish that we had more random Pokemon besides Jigglypuff and Ivysaur as playable characters.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd love to see Rayman in Smash - Rayman Legends was one of the best 2D platformers that I've ever played, he's clearly notable enough by the development team's standards (seeing as he's been in Smash in some form), and Rayman Origins/Legends gives us at least 80% of his potential moves on their own.

I'd also love to see Snake return, since he was so much fun to play as in Brawl and Metal Gear is such a fantastic series. (Though in general, I want all of the third party veterans to return)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's the pluses that make me really appreciate the Pokemon lineup in Smash.

While I like Pikachu, Charizard, Lucario, Greninja, and Mewtwo in Smash, it's always nice to see Pokemon that aren't being promoted by Pokemon Company in Smash as playable characters.

I just wish that we had more random Pokemon besides Jigglypuff and Ivysaur as playable characters.
Ivysaur was really tagged along, and Jigglypuff was the franchise's first proper semi-clone who was even a low priority character in Brawl.

We have Pokken for all those desires of having Pokemon as Chandelure, Suicune and Gardevior playable. I doubt it's gonna be better than that. And I really am not hoping for characters as Nidoking, Meganium and Absol playable in Smash Bros.

What I like about the current cast of Pokemon is how complete it feels, much like the Mario roster. I really don't think they should add another character without extreme care. And I'd much rather have them focus on other veteran Nintendo franchises who need a new character far more.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You're gonna sit there and bring up DMTVWF, and not mention Megatron? We all know he's what's really missing here.
Now I'm reminded that someone tried to make a case for Optimus Prime to be in Smash purely because Splatoon had an Autobot vs Decepticon thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom