• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ivysaur was really tagged along, and Jigglypuff was the franchise's first proper semi-clone who was even a low priority character in Brawl.

We have Pokken for all those desires of having Pokemon as Chandelure, Suicune and Gardevior playable. I doubt it's gonna be better than that. And I really am not hoping for characters as Nidoking, Meganium and Absol playable in Smash Bros.

What I like about the current cast of Pokemon is how complete it feels, much like the Mario roster. I really don't think they should add another character without extreme care. And I'd much rather have them focus on other veteran Nintendo franchises who need a new character far more.
The current Pokemon roster in SSB4 still feels incomplete to those who misses Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu in Melee and Brawl. I don't care how they got in Smash in the first place (tagging along with Charizard or being a clone) they still were fun to play.

I also don't like the mentality of "this Pokemon isn't being promoted by Pokemon Company so let's not bother supporting that Pokemon for Smash". It's like a self fulfilling prophecy. If I like the Pokemon itself, I'm supporting it whether Pokemon Company promotes it or not.

Luminario

Smash Lord
I think Animal Crossing might just get two newcomers in Isabelle and KK Slider.
Both have something unique to them other than "Animal Crossing-stuff" and Animal Crossing is one of Nintendo's biggest series.
Ofc I might be biased because if you visit Badge Arcade you can't not see Isabelle's doggo face.
How would KK Slider play though? would he just have a multitude of musical note and sound wave disjoints?
If he got in though his taunts better have him either play a piece of one of his many songs or just sit down and straight up play an entire song.
So, what are your opinions about Waddle Dee, Magolor or other possible Kirby characters?
Bandana Dee is clearly the Kirby frontrunner, while Malogor is likely to be AT at best. Dee has the popularity and the makings of a good moveset, and has essentially become player 4 in the Kirby world.
To be honest though, I'm still stanning for Adeleine. She'd have a fantastic painter summoner set going on.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
So, what are your opinions about Waddle Dee, Magolor or other possible Kirby characters?
On the topic of Kirby characters, I believe that Dark Matter (Blade?) is more likely than Magolor now, it's relevance is renewed and it's future, while uncertain, is a lot more hopeful than Magolor's, not to mention it's past importance is on par with Bandana Dee's unlike Magolor. Honestly, if Dark Matter returns as the main antagonist next Kirby game like I'm thinking it will, Bandana Dee might have some serious competition.

Also, Kirby character next game or riot.:mad088:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd like to see Bandanna Waddle Dee; it feels like, ever since Return to Dream Land, he's become part of the core cast (to the point where he was playable in Kirby and the Rainbow Curse when even Meta Knight and Dedede weren't, and Waddle Dee was one of the four Kirby amiibo).

As far as other Kirby characters, I'd like to see Dark Matter - I feel like the Kirby's Dream Land 2 version (the swordsman who also appeared in another recent Kirby game) would make for an interesting playable character, but that seems relatively obscure compared to the floating eyeball/cloud of darkness version.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
On the subject of third party characters for s5?
:snake::4bayonetta::4ryu::4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::5rayman: :5bomberman: :5agnes:

I don't really want Cloud,
I'm incredibly stingy when it comes to 3rd Parties. I'd love for Sonic to stay, that's for sure, but I'm not really sure who else I'd pick. I think I'd go with Banjo & Kazooie and Pac-Man, although I'd only support the latter returning in Namco returnsto help with development. Otherwise, Snake or Bomberman would be nice to see.

I wouldn't complain if Bandanna Waddle Dee got in, although there are other characters from other series I'd rather see before him. As Kirby characters in general, the only one I know and would be alright with would be Bandanna Waddle Dee.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
So I'm just going to come out and ask. What are y'alls thoughts on Snake returning? So far I feel that the general consensus is that people want Snake to come back but don't see him as particularly likely, which I understand completely.

There are a few exceptions I've noticed where individuals absolutely despise the thought of Snake returning. I remember vividly that back when Pac-Man was announced someone tweeted "Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Mario in the same game! Sakurai if you cut Snake this'll be the best game ever made" I'm paraphrasing of course as I don't remember the exact tweet but how many of you share this viewpoint and if so, why?

Just wanted to get feedback on my personal favorite character without forcing you guys into the Snake thread. All replies are, of course, greatly appreciated.
Snake being in Smash was so weird to me, but that along with his unique moveset grew on me over time. I wouldn't exactly call myself a Snake fan, but he was fun to play, and it wouldn't bother me to see him return, unless the dev team later wrote something like "We received a ballot submission from KniteBlargh requesting Muddy Mole and planned to include him, but ultimately decided to drop him for Snake." Oooooooh maaaaaaan. LOL

I'd like to see Bandana Dee and definitely feel he's the main candidate to appear next from the Kirby series. We could use more cutesy characters anyway. xP

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
Putting that subject behind us, what would you guys say to a new Zelda rep? People always go over the one and done characters, or recurring side characters like Impa and Tingle. I know we already have two Links and two Zeldas but I've always been interested in adding Ganon. Not Beast Ganon mind you, but the classic bipedal trident-wielding pig demon.

As another form of Ganondorf (the original form series wise, I know in terms of canon Dorf came first), he's pretty important and has more appearances than his Gerudo form too. He could be resized to be around that of Bowser, DK, and Dedede as another heavy.

I'm working on some ideas for him , so hopefully I can open a support thread once I've finished that if anyone's interested.
I've always liked the idea of adding a version of Ganon to the roster from the old 2D games and it would be a great way to honor those games, since they rest of Zelda's roster tends to take its cues from the 3D Zelda games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've just been thinking, Marshadow has just been officially announced, and he's like the only mythical Pokémon of the 7th Generation, right?

Maybe it's a sign the 7th gen will not last very long (unless they'll do something with Necrozma)...

D

Deleted member

Also to come back to the FE discussion earlier, I think the only way people would accept a FE newcomer is if this character is an axe user.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Also to come back to the FE discussion earlier, I think the only way people would accept a FE newcomer is if this character is an axe user.
Why not a lance user? We have not had one in the series yet, and Lucina was a Lance user as a Great Lord.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
I've just been thinking, Marshadow has just been officially announced, and he's like the only mythical Pokémon of the 7th Generation, right?

Maybe it's a sign the 7th gen will not last very long (unless they'll do something with Necrozma)...
I think Gen 7 will be like Gen V and be over in a few years. Gen V came at the very end of the DS' life, and Gen VII is in the same boat coming in the twilight years of the 3DS.

Plus, Nintendo will want to push sales of the Switch. I think Gen VII will be a quick gen, and we will move on to Gen VIII as quickly as possible.

D

Deleted member

Why not a lance user? We have not had one in the series yet, and Lucina was a Lance user as a Great Lord.
Because :4corrinf:'s arms can be used like lances (sort of), and we already have a staff user as well :4palutena:, while we only have :4villager: who use an axe only as a part of his down-special.

Caryslan

Smash Apprentice
Because :4corrinf:'s arms can be used like lances (sort of), and we already have a staff user as well :4palutena:, while we only have :4villager: who use an axe only as a part of his down-special.
So, the question is this. Who would be your pick for an Axe user? Change Ike's moveset to some degree to allow him to use axes, add someone like Hector, or do something unique and add a villian from the series who uses Axes like Garon?

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Personally, I think the only way people will accept a FE newcomer has more to do with what the other franchises get next game than what Fire Emblem gets itself. If all the large franchises get playable characters (the content most people actually care about) and the additions to Fire Emblem aren't as big as and/or over-shadowing them, then I feel all would go relatively swimmingly. However if the big franchises that didn't get much cool stuff this game don't get any of the content they want next game, I really don't think there's going to be much that can actually get the majority of us disgruntled fans of those franchises to be content with a/the new Fire Emblem character/s.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I like this group better

:4sonic::4megaman::4pacman:
:4cloud:
I think Rayman is the next obvious 3rd Party to get in. I also think that Bomberman wouldn't get in without bringing Snake along with him so your lineup would end up looking like:
:snake::4sonic::4megaman::4pacman::4ryu::4cloud:

Which is probably one of the most solid Icon lineups of all time, barring Banjo-Kazooie and Simon.

I find it funny that :4bayonetta: has been left out of these convos entirely. All things considered though, if we get Bayonetta 3 as a Switch exclusive she'll basically be a Nintendo character at that point.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Same situation as Donkey Kong honestly. Both are strong running Nintendo franchises, very popular, and with a wide cast of possible characters. If both series get a full-edged newcomer with a unique moveset, count for King K.Rool and Bandana Dee. Otherwise, semi-clones as Dixie and Galactia Knight will do.

Honestly, I want all of these characters. The more the merrier, and if it takes semi-clones to strenghten up a current veteran franchise, I'll take it. Cause think about it, a lot of likely characters from veteran Nintendo franchises could be easy semi-clones.

Stating the obvious:

StarFox: Wolf :wolf: - I doubt if Wolf where to return his moveset would change much. He was a low priority Brawl character after all, and was even planned on having even more moves in common with Fox, namely his AAA combo as is seen in beta data.

Pikmin: Alph :4alph: - He was an alt to Olimar after all. With just Rock Pikmin as a new element instead of the Purple Pikmin, I guess Alph could already count as a semi-clone. Are there better Pikmin options? Don't think so.

Donkey Kong Country: Dixie Kong - She could borrow about half of Diddy's moveset and still make for an interessting character due to her hair and it's atributes. If they wanna make it even easier for themselves, they could borrow DK's Up B as a move (aerial) and his grab mechanics.

Legend of Zelda: Impa - As a Sheik semi-clone depening on the version of the character. Skyward Sword Impa only becomes relevant if it'll get a Switch port (which could happen in fact). Otherwise, we could have Hyrule Warriors Impa who is harder to make a semi-clone out of (guess it would work with using Cloud as a base however!).

Toon Zelda - Easy clone of Zelda. :4zelda: Was almost expecting this to happen due to Zelda's new Down B.

Kirby: Galactia Knight. Using Meta Knight as a base, somewhat slower, far more powerful and has more reach and more cool down on his moves.

Fire Emblem: Alm & Chrom make for easy semi-clones of Marth and Lucina, maybe borrow some from Ike's moveset as well. Down B Counter, and viola, new character.

-I think that these characters are easy choices to add new faces to older franchises that lack a newcomer otherwise. At most I expect 3 of them to appear. If they are going to decide to add more clone characters at all, and expand the roster of course.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not just any axe user, it gotta be Hector. Or at least, give Ike the Urvan for a couple of moves.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
So, I want to know from other people...

Aside from new characters, what is the one thing most people would want in a Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Switch?

I thought a bit about what they have not done yet in these games, and from the looks of it, I am drawing a blank of any new features, modes, or who knows what else.

The whole Conquest was a pretty novel idea, considering that you took your favorite characters from one side of a conquest and fight online with them in order to establish a winner for a week. It was rather unbalanced at times, and it really tended to be a glorified popularity contest at times, but it still worked, for the most part.

I think we could do with a return of it if they could iron out some possible-to-fix issues...

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Better single-player mode. Smash Tour was awful.
Well, it was something you'd probably play with friends rather than the CPU. The AI is rather nasty on smash tour, so it was not much of a success as the people behind Super Smash Bros. would like it to have been.

That being said, Smash RUN was fantastic. Even though it was on a 3DS and you'd probably only play the 3DS version if you were going out away from your Wii U or something, the whole concept borrowed from Kirby Air Ride's City trial was nice. I'd like to see a return of this mode, unless somebody reveals something far-far better. (Which is rather unlikely)

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312

Aside from new characters, what is the one thing most people would want in a Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo Switch?

I thought a bit about what they have not done yet in these games, and from the looks of it, I am drawing a blank of any new features, modes, or who knows what else.

The whole Conquest was a pretty novel idea, considering that you took your favorite characters from one side of a conquest and fight online with them in order to establish a winner for a week. It was rather unbalanced at times, and it really tended to be a glorified popularity contest at times, but it still worked, for the most part.

I think we could do with a return of it if they could iron out some possible-to-fix issues...
In terms of completely new content, I'm still unsure of what I'd like to see as well, but based on what we've gotten in prior games I'm pretty much gonna spout the usual:

-Break the Targets with a unique challenge for each character like in Melee.

-An Adventure Mode of some kind, whether it be closer to Melee's or Brawl's SSE doesn't really matter to me. (Though I do prefer Melee's)

-More actual costumes. They've taken some decent baby steps, but I still feel they're lacking in this department.

-The return of offline Tourney Mode like in past Smash games.

-A Boss Battles mode just to have a bit more variety. Even if there's no Adventure Mode to place them in, I think they could work as fun Event Mode challenges.

-A revised Smash Tour. It's clunky and awkward and not that fun, but I feel there's some potential there if they put some more work into it.

-And speaking of Smash Tour, I guess one new mode I'd like to see is the option to pick several characters for each stock. They did it for Smash Tour already, why not make it a proper multiplayer option?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I don't know what to call it, but I've been using the name "Tag Stock Battle."

Basically a type of battle where each stock you use is a different character, kind of similar to what was done in the Subspace Emissary.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman

For me, GameCube controller adapter compatibility. Yes, I went from the N64 to GameCube, but I really don't like the thought of a different layout at this point...

After that, I have a lot of (probably kind of boring) wants, but none as important to me as the controller bit. I'd like My Music to at least allow for an overall playlist that governs the selection for all stages, team AI to be less determined to destroy their own partner when team attack is on so they're more useful for practice/experimenting, 1-player options to be less infuriating and actually fun, a 1-2 player adventure mode akin to Melee's, etc.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I find it funny that :4bayonetta: has been left out of these convos entirely. All things considered though, if we get Bayonetta 3 as a Switch exclusive she'll basically be a Nintendo character at that point.
The way I see it, :4sonic: and :4bayonetta: are likely a package deal - they're from the same company, so there doesn't seem to be any reason why they wouldn't get both at once. Besides, Sonic seems like the closest there is to a "sure thing" as far as third party characters are concerned, and they have objective proof that Bayonetta's a popular choice among the Smash fanbase with the Smash Ballot.

I'd be disappointed if they didn't bring Bayonetta back, but then again, she's one of the characters that I voted for and I'm a fan of her franchise.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just remove the poor man's Angry Birds and give us a normal Break the Targets again.

Oh, and please fix Trash Tour into something that isn't as broken. All of that trouble for a stage, one track, and a couple trophies.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'd be disappointed if they didn't bring Bayonetta back, but then again, she's one of the characters that I voted for and I'm a fan of her franchise.
They pretty much have a requirement to bring Bayonetta back. You don't cut the character that won the Ballot unless you have a damn good reason.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Another Kirby related idea I would throw out there is Susie Haltmann from Planet Robobot. She was notable enough to get her own Japanese 3DS theme, which says a lot about her popularity. Not sure if she had a bunch of stuff in the Nintendo Badge Arcade (haven't used it in a while to be honest).

Though with her uncertain future and how long it's taking for the announcement of a new Kirby title, she's probably Assist Trophy material at best.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I know it would never happen (ever), but I've always been fond of the idea of having Zero as a playable Kirby villain. A big floating ball accompanied by Dark Matter that he manipulates in order to attack.

D

Deleted member

Other than buffed old modes, I just want a Battlefield form for every stages, why not even a Big Battlefield form too for 8-player havocs, along the FD form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom