• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero

A CHAD and his wife

Do you think he is a compassionate lover?

Can you survive in the pungent cloud that is his masculine musk?

I don't think so...

Last edited:

NastCF

Smash Apprentice
I want to make an argument I haven't seen anyone making yet.

There's a lot of resistance to the idea that this leak is "too good to be true", especially as it contradicts Sakurai's statements to not expect too many newcomers, and that reveals would slow down. Many people are willing to believe he could have just been lying.

Putting aside how sad it is that people aren't even willing to trust the director of the game they're so excited for, let's assume that he actually was lying and we have a whole 7 newcomers left to be revealed in a single month.

If that was true, how in the world would it benefit Nintendo for Sakurai to make that lie?? If they had that many characters in the roster wouldn't it make so much more sense, marketing-wise, to spread them throughout the game's promotional time period so as to keep people engaged, as opposed to concealing almost half of the entire roster until barely over a month before release, which also resulted in the so-called "drought" of news people are complaining about?

That's why I do legitimately consider Sakurai's statements as a big counterpoint to this leak, no matter how much people like to dismiss it as "B-BUT SAKURAI SAID". Besides, god forbid we trust the man responsible for the series this whole forum is dedicated to.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
I'm leaning towards real but I am always open to the possibility of it being fake.

Pretty sure this would be the most elaborate hoax in video game history if it's fake.
my boi (and friend for over a decade) artsy omni is gonna have to step up his game HARD LOLOLOL

(except he wouldn't want to play chess on this level)

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I made a joke about organizing a carpool for the Grinch in my Smash discord, and at least 2 other people are seriously interested. This is the best timeline.
Pull out my Pink Hoodie Little Mac cosplay and dress up for opening night! Everybody remember to bring their own gamecube controllers with them!

The confused children and parents when a million smash players attend the grinch movie this year. glorious.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
oh, so he MIGHT have info if you interpret his message of "I don't leak stuff because I don't have info and my fansite nearly got shutdown by Nintendo merely for reporting on a leak" as "I have information but don't leak it"
No, you misinterpreted what I wanted to say.

There is a contradiction there. He says he needs reputation, but only a leaker needs reputation... else he would be an official source (or almost).
Then he says he doesn't leaks anything. Why? Because most of his info come from official sources.

That's why it's posible (and it has happen in the past) that he was contacted to stay shut on the matter, like with the sun/moon leak. He DEPENDS on Nintendo sources (and he wont confirm it because of DNA if the policy is still the same than years ago) so he doesn't want to ruin his relationship with them.

Mind you too that the black/white stuff happened more than 4 years ago and he didn't get C/D in the end... because you know, serebii is another marketing vector, serebii is as good as a third party can get to be official.

Although I don't exactly know if they are being blackmailed to help discredit the leak, that's far from true. I'm just hinting that it's easy to do that, very pausible (have seen it done in my sector, not gaming, a much less secretive sector aaaand yeah, influencers and tech people will change their opinions if an official mail arrives, I tell you) and the connection is there. Gameexplain stance on all of this only further proves that something fishy is going.
I don't know what, right now is all hypothesis and I think is the BIG question mark of this leak, and not the leak itself.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Sure!

I mean legit I was not interested in the grinch movie and after all this I have an urge to go see it JUST for the potential smash jokes I could make while watching.
I can't wait for someone to film the movie in theaters with the Smash Ultimate Special Edition box within the frame the whole time but only kinda visible enough to notice one of the sides of the box is totally different in design than what we know

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel the same, Illumination movies are okay for what they are, but they usually lack soul. I would've loved to see Laika Studios (or anyone else tbh) handle the Mario movie, but I can see why Nintendo went with Illumination. They're a money-making machine.
At the very least, if they're able to make a successful Mario movie, we could see more Nintendo properties turned into movies.

Not sure if more of something mediocre is worth getting excited about, but I'd be happy if Nintendo found success in the movie industry.

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I have respect for the guy, I'd just like to hear one single solid argument from him as to why he thinks the banner is fake. A "it's fake because it's fake guys lol" doesn't work for me.
These owners of big sites or these big names aren't genuinely going to know whether it is or not. They're just going with their gut feeling.

I remember during the S/M speculation cycle, Serebii called a leak of the final evos of Popplio, Rowlet, and Litten fake and dismissed it immediately. Turned out to be real later on.

I'm just guessing a large portion of people assuming this leak is fake are just going to the safe side of "Assume every leak is fake until proven otherwise."

osby

Smash Obsessed
Not to play mod, but the quality of Illumination movies is only tangentially related to Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
A few days before I found out Illumination was making a Mario movie, I was thinking about a Mario movie done by the guys who made The Lego Movie.
I jinxed it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Someone pointed out that the banjo render has immense detail, image included

Just like how there are some intersting details with Isaac's Djinn and The Chorus Kids being with the Conductor...
Unless this leaker was a huge fan of each of these franchises, I don't see how people aside from Sakurai could put that much detail into a mural...
Wait the Grinch comes out Nov 9th...

The next smash direct plays at the beginning of The Grinch. You have to go buy a ticket to The Grinch, in order to see the direct, calling it now.

Nintendo is gonna make illumination a ton of money even before they make the Mario movie hahaha (im kidding btw)
Watch all of the little kids be confused and ask their parents "What's a Bayonetta?". only for the parents to google the term and... yeah

Last edited:

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
So.... where's the counterargument to the ridiculous idea of pointing out that you're trying to say a 50 year old with a family to feed who doesn't speak English posted on snapchat "**** Nintendo" with an accompanying emoji?
We don't need to waste time coming up to a counterargument to an argument which is fundamentally unsound. Him being 50 literally changes nothing. Your pre-existing biases that the older generation never uses Snapchat or uses emojis are simply the result of your own flawed stereotyping of an age-group. And "doesn't speak english"? Have you even seen the original leak you're arguing so adamantly about? It was in French.

D

Deleted member

Artsy Omni: i made a fake change on the character select screen to promote a series.

Grinch: I BECAME MOTHER****ING JOKER IN TWO DAYS.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Just had a realization.

What if the mural is in the game...

And the *characters flash in* thing from the trailers are actually generated using the game's engine? In theory, the scenes would play in Spirits Mode if the mode plays a part in unlocking characters, especially if you can unlock them in bulk.

radBoss

Smash Cadet
I can't believe I made an account just to say this, and I bet someone already bought it up, but...

The Mario movie is being made by Illumination Studios.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Just had a realization.

And the *characters flash in* thing from the trailers are actually generated using the game's engine? In theory, the scenes would play in Spirits Mode if the mode plays a part in unlocking characters, especially if you can unlock them in bulk.
That'd actually be really cool.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
At the very least, if they're able to make a successful Mario movie, we could see more Nintendo properties turned into movies.
But that's implying any other Nintendo franchise (that isnt Pokemon) is really prepared or ready to be a movie. I mean, Zelda's got a complicated ass plot half the time, Metroid's probably gonna turn into the baby part 2: child support, and Kirby-
wait if we get kirby back we get ted lewis back
Kirby movie sounds good, yup.

Noipoi

Howdy!
But that's implying any other Nintendo franchise (that isnt Pokemon) is really prepared or ready to be a movie. I mean, Zelda's got a complicated *** plot half the time, Metroid's probably gonna turn into the baby part 2: child support, and Kirby-
wait if we get kirby back we get ted lewis back
Kirby movie sounds good, yup.
It's called the Kirby movie, but really it's Dedede's journey of self discovery.

(1) Multiple trademarks got renewed, not just the ones related to this leak and Smash. Wario Land was one of them.

(2) Illumination is sponsoring the whole event. It's not exclusive to just Nintendo.
How many times do I have do I have to repeat myself? I never said this was exclusive to Nintendo events, I'm saying this confirms Nintendo will have hold of Grinch material for one reason or another. Which would explain why ANY Grinch material would be found near Smash material in the first place. Thus helping the probability of the Grinch leak.

Mango The Magician

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mango_Magician
Okay

- Was proven to be too hard to move and look well by a Reddit post that was posted here not too long ago. He tried moving the characters around and ended up overlapping nearly all of them. He concluded the person is either a master grade artist, insane, or the banner is real. So not "disproven".
In fact, it's quite the opposite:
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...f_the_leaked_mural/?utm_source=reddit-android

- the background is different, that's all. "Disproven", it is not.

- still exists and are present in the leak. It was never claimed to be new or original, random people started doing that, so you have no idea what you are getting at. "Disproven" it is not

- Uh, he worked for that company 2 years ago. They are not responsible for the leak. The place he works at now has not responded, at all. So "disproven" it is not.

- exactly my point
-I've moved characters on the mural it's not hard.
-The background isn't just different it's missing major pieces that would be obscured by characters.
-Plenty of people in this thread have used the "they're new renders" argument to try and validity this leak. If they're not new then they're meaningless.
-The importance of the first company was that said company had ties to Namco, the new company doesn't have any visible ties.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
HOW FAST IS THIS THREAD LIKE SLOW DOWN PEOPLE GEEZ.

>Grinch promotions at London Nintendo event
>GS, RH, Mach Rider, Banjo, and Shadow The Hedgehog all conveniently being renewed this year.

Grinchboards is gonna drive to me insanity before we get official news.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Pull out my Pink Hoodie Little Mac cosplay and dress up for opening night! Everybody remember to bring their own gamecube controllers with them!

The confused children and parents when a million smash players attend the grinch movie this year. glorious.
Real Smash players bring their Joy-Cons with them.

Last edited:

GenoToto

Smash Journeyman

I have to say, if this whole leak situation was just a pull to get people interested in watching a mediocre Grinch movie, even if just ironically, then I can only applaud the impressive scope of this event to just score some ticket sales. :starman: Now I want to go see it. I wonder if my local smash buddies would be into an upcoming Thanksgiving Christmas movie...

The magic must be working.

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Just had a realization.

This would be ****ing awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom