• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'm back home fellas what's going on with the leak today
Still goin' strong. Some people have noticed more little details on the poster that would be insane for someone to do if it was fake, and the Nintendo booth at London Comic-Con is handing out Grinch posters.

Take it as you will.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Man, everybody that says the leak is fake seems to think this was some amazingly elaborate set up for what? A smash leak? You really think somebody or a group of people went through this much trouble and did this much research to make a smash leak? The simpler explanation is that it is real that's why it lines up with so much information. There is a small chance that it could have been a hoax, but to really think that's the most likely scenario is silly. You are just trying to not believe it.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
In general nothing new.

But Ryce, the guy who leaked basically 99% of the MvC:I roster said that the mural is bull**** and basically look like nothing he SAW back in August before the Direct.
TL;DR we know that Insiders seems to have seen VISUAL proof, which is probably the reasons as of why they are so hard on their position to say "It's BS"

Last edited:

Fane

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the most surreal thing here is that-

This is going to go down, not as "The Snapchat Leak", "The Frenchman Leak", or "The Mural Leak"...

It's going down as "The Grinch Leak".

In the great cycle of Smash speculation, we've had things like "The Gematsu Leak" and "The ESRB Leak", and now we're already escalating to this... Huh...

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
The leak is getting bigger

The Grinch is is getting larger!
And if the Grinch gets large enough, he will stomp Christmas out of the picture, and maybe replace it with Smashmas.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
This town ain't big enough for the two of us
Heh. Sorry TB. I am all of team fake now

In general nothing new.

But Ryce, the guy who leaved basically 99% of the MvC:I roster said that the mural is bull**** and basically look like nothing he SAW back in August before the Direct.
TL;DR we know that Insiders seems to have seen VISUAL proof, which is probably the reasons as of why they are so hard on their position to say "It's BS"
Source?
I find it interesting how insiders seem to be colliding now. KH Insider and Papagenos are for it, for instance.

Man, everybody that says the leak is fake seems to think this was some amazingly elaborate set up for what? A smash leak? You really think somebody or a group of people went through this much trouble and did this much research to make a smash leak? The simpler explanation is that it is real that's why it lines up with so much information. There is a small chance that it could have been a hoax, but to really think that's the most likely scenario is silly. You are just trying to not believe it.
Yep, because most fake leakers want fame.
And this guy got it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The last thing I want to happen is threads being shut down because mods deemed this leak real or fake. That happened with the ESRB leak, and boy was that super embarrassing on their behalf once Shulk came out from his little tea room. If you're gonna pick a side, that's fine, but don't say that it's final to be on that side when we still have no clue until we're actually shown some new things.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hypothetical effort doesn't it prove it being real

Sincerely,
Someone who is on team real for fun

beans

Smash Lord
Just the normal civil war on it.
Also if you dont know, a new item has appeared in a trailer in the side of the screen.
It looks like Golden Sun psienergy symbol but still no consensus on it

Ignoritus

Smash Journeyman
Him being 50-or-so changes a lot, because he's not going to make the mistakes a 20 year old would. Even Vergeben protects his sources and waits for sound so he doesn't compromise any identities. In no universe is something with 50 years of experience and mistakes on the face of this planet actually going to do something as stupid as this probably fictitious version of him did?
The "**** you" actually translated more towards a "**** nintendo looool". If he was attempting to leak characters why would he take such zoomed out pictures in the first place instead of focusing on the banners? If this comes from Eric then the likely story being shown here was that he had no idea the relevance of what he was looking at to the internet and took the snapshots to complain about the workload or similar. Yes, this is still a breach of NDA, but I imagine someone in that sort of position handles a lot of promotional materials which are technically not revealed to the world-at-large but have absolutely no significance that the owning company would hunt someone down over (ie, back renders of the Grinch) nor would spread on the internet anyways. Eric likely had no intent to leak anything and had no idea this backlash would occur.

And before you go "you're making assumptions about what had to have happened", consider that the alternative requires the assumption that a literal psychopath sought out a person working at a print shop to associate with incriminating material. I don't think that's any less of an assumption.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
HOW FAST IS THIS THREAD LIKE SLOW DOWN PEOPLE GEEZ.

>Grinch promotions at London Nintendo event
>GS, RH, Mach Rider, Banjo, and Shadow The Hedgehog all conveniently being renewed this year.

Grinchboards is gonna drive to me insanity before we get official news.
wait woah woah woah hold up

Sega renewed Shadow's copyright?? When

And is this for the character or for the old game itself?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
You mean THIS ONE?

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/...f_the_leaked_mural/?utm_source=reddit-android

LOL he recreated what he could and said it's almost impossible to do as well as the leak has done.
Guys, pay the hell attention, you keep arguing the same things and it's not working
No, it was an high quality picture of literally half ot the mural, it was splitted and only the left half was edited.
The edited part was perfect though, except for the missing "newcomers"

I can't find it in 300 or so pages, I would link it if I could.

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
In general nothing new.

But Ryce, the guy who leaked basically 99% of the MvC:I roster said that the mural is bull**** and basically look like nothing he SAW back in August before the Direct.
Yeah, that's a given. I dunno if Nintendo had might changed plans or it was a fake mural shown to insiders... (or maybe the leak is fake, who knows) but is intriguing.

D

Deleted member

A lot of you keep posting this to try and debunk the leak as fake:

https://i.imgur.com/n3xve9P.jpg

From Reddit:
look.JPG

I mean, I know it's been stated here before. But there you go, from a photography expert. I think you can all drop the background nonsense now. It's your own opinions about how cameras work and such, vs the words of someone who makes a living off of photography and understands this very well.

Zenos

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xenos15
Also wanted to add that the leak being blurry sort of works both ways to me, if that makes sense.

There are a lot of details that would honest to God be unnecessary because it's so blurry that they wouldn't even need to bother. There have been less convincing mockups that people have believed.

It's also true on the other hand that making it blurry could hide potential blemishes on the whole thing, but then I wonder why they would bother giving themselves that big a margin for error?

Why not add less characters to move less characters? Why even have the empty background (and I'm not fully buying they NEVER saw the empty variants from before, if people who aren't savvy enough to make a leak like this could find it in a few days, surely this fabrication took a few weeks?)

Phyr

Smash Journeyman
In general nothing new.

Yeah, that's a given. I dunno if Nintendo had might changed plans or it was a fake mural shown to insiders... (or maybe the leak is fake, who knows) but is intriguing.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
Grinch appeared at the Nintendo booth at London’s comic con but turns out the entire event is sponsored by the movie. Also a bunch of trademarks of characters in the mural were renewed all around the same time this year. And another Resetera admin called the leak fake and said the roster doesn’t line up with what he saw. And I don’t know if you seen the Mystic tweets from last night, but he said he had a **** ton sources telling him that the leak is both real and fake.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In general nothing new.

Adding on to Ryce, for those who don't know, the only thing Ryce got wrong was Ant Man being playable, Ant Man didn't appear at all, but in the previous game, he appeared as Hawkeye's Level 3 Hyper, which is basically what he did in Civil War only shooting Giant Man, which suggets Ant Man was scrapped later in development

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
wait woah woah woah hold up

Sega renewed Shadow's copyright?? When

And is this for the character or for the old game itself?
Didn’t Sega say they were close to emulating the old games on the Switch, so it could be because of that.
Either way, it’s definitely something to take note of.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
A lot of you keep posting this to try and debunk the leak as fake:

https://i.imgur.com/n3xve9P.jpg

From Reddit:
View attachment 172353

I mean, I know it's been stated here before. But there you go, from a photography expert. I think you can all drop the background nonsense now. It's your own opinions about how cameras work and such, vs the words of someone who makes a living off of photography and understands this very well.
Background still stands. Best points against the leak imo.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Everyone's trying to argue one way or another and I'm just here trying to process it all.
b41.gif

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Short answer, yes.

You'd be suprised how far people will go for a week or two of internet fame. And that's not exclusive to the Smash fanbase either.

alemerltoucanet

Smash Lord
NNID
AngrySilverBird
Still goin' strong. Some people have noticed more little details on the poster that would be insane for someone to do if it was fake, and the Nintendo booth at London Comic-Con is handing out Grinch posters.

Take it as you will.
Wait, they're giving out fricking Grinch posters? Hmmm...

Can someone go there and get one for me plz? I needz.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Source?
I find it interesting how insiders seem to be colliding now. KH Insider and Papagenos are for it, for instance.
Source

None of that matters to me. The Grinch roster has practically nothing in common with the roster that I was shown a few months ago by someone I consider very trustworthy, and that's why I'm calling bull**** on it. You're free to believe what you want, but please remember in a few weeks that some of us tried to warn you.
The only way the Grinch leak is real is if Nintendo intentionally fed a partially correct roster to unrelated sources shortly before the August Direct, but that's an even bigger conspiracy theory than anything that's being posited here.

D

Deleted member

Taking time and effort isn't an argument.
The "leaker" is a professional graphics artist, he does stuff like this for a living.
Ok, so a 50 yo frenchman who doesn't speak English decided to troll a bunch of kids by making fake Smash promo art for no goddamned reason. Sure sounds plausible, I believe you.... :eyeroll:

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
But that's implying any other Nintendo franchise (that isnt Pokemon) is really prepared or ready to be a movie. I mean, Zelda's got a complicated *** plot half the time, Metroid's probably gonna turn into the baby part 2: child support, and Kirby-
wait if we get kirby back we get ted lewis back
Kirby movie sounds good, yup.
Zelda has complicated lore, sure, but the individual games tend to have pretty simple stories. As for Metroid, complaints about "The baby" seem to forget that that's basically the plot and emotional crux of Aliens, and that movie rules. Better writers and actors could sell it no problem.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Ryce just posted this.
I just can't reconcile the possibility of someone knowing all of the August and September character reveals in advance and deciding to lie about the rest. It's also hard for me to think of any potential technical issues that would lead to one of the characters being cut and omitted from the Grinch leak.
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14246367/

D

Deleted member

Background still stands. Best points against the leak imo.
How does it stand when a photography expert already confirmed these sorts of changes are natural when you record with a ****ty camera and have artifacting?

Unless we've got another photography expert in here who wants to counter-argue this with detailed explanations of how cameras work, I think it's better people just concede that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom