• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
And just as I ****ing post the source, he add something else, interesting.

Source
I just can't reconcile the possibility of someone knowing all of the August and September character reveals in advance and deciding to lie about the rest. It's also hard for me to think of any potential technical issues that would lead to one of the characters being cut and omitted from the Grinch leak.
I got :4greninja:

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
So, I know we are joking about the Grinch being a character in Smash, but if he were in, what would his moveset be like?

D

Deleted member

But do you believe that is truly the most likely scenario? To you, it's much more likely a large, well thought out conspiracy over actually being real?
It is a possible one for sure. I've said it many times now, but people really, really underestimate the lengths people will go to for attention and 5 minutes of fame.

And the individual behind this, if it's fake, has gotten that and then some.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I'm leaning towards real but I am always open to the possibility of it being fake.

Pretty sure this would be the most elaborate hoax in video game history if it's fake.
I’m pretty much in the same boat that you are.
This is where I am as well.

It's Team Cautiously Optimism.
I work IT. You don't want to know what people who should know better are capable of.
Also, it's assuming that with age automatically comes wisdom (it doesn't, necessarily).

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
Short answer, yes.

You'd be suprised how far people will go for a week or two of internet fame. And that's not exclusive to the Smash fanbase either.
But does that really seem like the most likely scenario? I'm not saying it's impossible it's a hoax, but it seems it lining up so perfectly with so many details seems more likely to be real than an elaborate conspiracy. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are.... It's probably a duck.

Last edited:

Tyrathius

Smash Cadet
I really want the leak to be real, but I am leaning fake right now. Thus far, there has not been anything proving it that cannot be explained by coincidence or the leaker doing his research/being really good at his job.

Now, is it hard to swallow that all of these things could happen at once? Definitely. But I think that's true of it being legit as well.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Yes but thats extremely time consuming and tedious task, As a digital artist, let me try to EXPLAIN is possible but would requires days even weeks of work:

-Even if you had the blank canvas, you would basically had to crop EVERY single character from the illustration that has them all. Or you would need access to the layered PSD file, of the ORIGINAL illustration and this is extremely unlikely since it would require the original artist/artists sharing the original file so would be almost impossible.

-Then clean those crops since the original illustration is extra busy and cluttered, we are talking of hours or even days of work (assuming you are a professional or a very good amateur). We are talking of 70 crops, 70 cleanups.

-At this rate we would have need about 3 MAJOR LAYERS/folders in photoshop: The blank battlefield, a carpet with ALL the 70 crops of the characters and another layer in between that needs to be created just for shadows.

-Then, positioning in a very meticulous way every single crop and adjusting the shadows accordingly, this would need a eagle eye precision and working with the original image side by side.

-You would need to prepare the render/illustrations of the newcomers in a way they have the same or a very similar artstyle to that one of smash (even tho is very tiny and pixelated so this could be kinda easy).

-Afterwards, youll require to position the renders/mockups/illustrations of the newcomers in a way they feel interactive with the rest of the roster, adjust their positioning and do final retouches to the file.

-Then printing this file in such a way that it makes sense as a decorative banner for the round adornments.

The staggering amount of work required to do that just to troll the internet, would be borderline maniac ( wouldnt be surprised tbh).
I know how Photoshop works, thanks.

Chrollo.

fka president wario
I think Nintendo making multiple fake “complete” murals as leak bait is unlikely, but I don’t think its impossible. After all, they have the announcers record a bunch of random names to try to curb leaks, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they had a few mockup murals made for the same thing as unlikely as I think it is. However, as I said earlier, if what these insiders saw were GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, then I heavily doubt what they saw was fake.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
A lot of you keep posting this to try and debunk the leak as fake:

https://i.imgur.com/n3xve9P.jpg

From Reddit:
View attachment 172353

I mean, I know it's been stated here before. But there you go, from a photography expert. I think you can all drop the background nonsense now. It's your own opinions about how cameras work and such, vs the words of someone who makes a living off of photography and understands this very well.
I can believe some of the clouds were smudged a bit by the camera + lighting and such, but there are 100% some actual changes to the background, the missing castle and right crystal formation being the most notable ones. Whether that's a significant hit to the leak is up to each individual, I don't personally think it's enough to put the leak down as there are possible explanations for the changes, but it's for certain not just all camera stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

In other words, he's not willing to admit that him and his source were fed bait leaks to hide the final surprise of the roster from the public. The only way to make people believe fake leaks, or that the sources with those bait leaks are legit, is by making part of those leaks be true so people think they're legit.

That's pretty much what's happening here. No characters were omitted. His information simply isn't fully accurate, and intentionally so. Why is so hard for "leakers" to admit this simple possibility is very plausible given the circumstances?

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
But does that really seem like the most likely scenario? I'm not saying it's impossible it's a hoax, but it seems it lining up so perfectly with so many details seems more likely to be real than an elaborate conspiracy. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are.... It's probably a duck.
It is a possible scenario, regardless of how likely or unlikely it is.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I have the furthest thing from steady hands. Even the ESRB leak had a slight blur to it. Trying to take a nice clear picture on my average (not newest of the new) cell phone camera is a nuisance. I have to lean my elbows on my hips just to get the fuzziness to go away and that is only after the camera focuses on the right spot..

I am 50/50 on this leak btw. Could go either way at this point. If it is real then Nintendo kind of deserves this for waiting so long, but if its fake...then oh well. K. RoOl is already in the game. I have what I want.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
That's pretty much what's happening here. No characters were omitted. His information simply isn't fully accurate, and intentionally so. Why is so hard for "leakers" to admit this simple possibility is very plausible given the circumstances?
Because Visual proof seems to be in the game. Not just words. VISUAL proof, as we're now at 2 insiders saying that it doesn't match not what they HEARD but what they SAW

KMDP

Smash Legend
Ryce said:
I just can't reconcile the possibility of someone knowing all of the August and September character reveals in advance and deciding to lie about the rest. It's also hard for me to think of any potential technical issues that would lead to one of the characters being cut and omitted from the Grinch leak.
And here we are, even Ryce isn't sure.

This is actually what I was arguing, someone might have known all the Character Reveals, and lied about them past a certain point (maybe because he was told to?)

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Heh. Sorry TB. I am all of team fake now

Source?
I find it interesting how insiders seem to be colliding now. KH Insider and Papagenos are for it, for instance.

Yep, because most fake leakers want fame.
And this guy got it.
Reffering to your point about insiders colliding... Yeah not really. Saying KH insider is a stretch - Mystic's last tweet about it literally says some of the characters. That's not all nor does is support it in the same way Papagenos.

And no offense to Papagenos, but he's a fairly new youtuber who is citing an anonymous source he hasn't met before who is a second hand source from a supposed Microsoft source. I'm just saying, its not as credible as people we have relied on all speculation season.

Insiders aren't colliding. Every insider we keep track of says something is wrong. And it is my oppinion and my choice to believe that means this ain't it.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Can someone translate, I dont get the point of the new statement
He's saying his source knew about every character that's been revealed so far, but the remaining characters don't match the leak, so he can't reconcile the leak being correct with his source when his source has been 100% accurate up to now.

JacobLeBeauOFFICIAL

Smash Lord
NNID
JacobReal!
Switch FC
SW-4350-2362-0253
Because Visual proof seems to be in the game. Not just words. VISUAL proof, as we're now at 2 insiders saying that it doesn't match not what they HEARD but what they SAW
Honestly, that's what makes what they said seem suspicious to me, almost as if it's damage control. Wouldn't they both hear AND see stuff?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What does a marvel character have anything to do with smash bros
What does context that this very page including my previous posts about Ryce, the guy who leaked pretty much everything about Marvel VS Capcom Infinite, claims this is bull have to do with Ant Man? Hmmmm, can't say
"B-but MvCi was supposed to be the best fighting game ever..."
Say what you want but Ant Man getting cut was what ruined the game. Yes, Ant Man had stolen the good graphic assets on his way out

SuperNintendoKid

Smash Lord
So, I know we are joking about the Grinch being a character in Smash, but if he were in, what would his moveset be like?
stealing projectiles like villager

and he'd be one of those characters who suicide to kill like ganon and kirby

stuff the characters in his santa bag and jump out of the blastzone

final smash is him pushing the sleigh with opponents in it off the mountain top

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Why are people still listening to Reset Era?
Because some of the mods have a very strong track record of leaking things correctly. The site itself is a bit of a mess, but the likes of Ryce and Jonneh are worth listening to when they're actually bringing up what they've been hearing from their sources. That's not to say you should follow them blindly, but it's definitely worth taking into consideration.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I think Nintendo making multiple fake “complete” murals as leak bait is unlikely, but I don’t think its impossible. After all, they have the announcers record a bunch of random names to try to curb leaks, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they had a few mockup murals made for the same thing as unlikely as I think it is. However, as I said earlier, if what these insiders saw were GAMEPLAY FOOTAGE, then I heavily doubt what they saw was fake.
Would they be allowed to use characters they don’t have the rights to for that?

Chrono.

Now it seems like he’s just trusting someone’s word instead of seeing actual evidence of it. And I’m assuming that someone getting cut is Incineroar. I don’t doubt his word, but it does seem like has less evidence of believing its fake than we thought.
Yeah that's my take on it.

Which falls in line with Mystic saying it was real, then going unsure due to conflicting sources on the matter.

It seems like nobody is truly sure what's going on, even if they say they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom