• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
ugh. Looks like I waon't be able to get it for a long, long time @ jdawg99 jdawg99 . Sorry.
That stinks :(

Almost 200 downloads for the free version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.impactgamesstudio.games.supersmashclashappfree

Almost 150 downloads for the paid version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.impactgamesstudio.games.supersmashclashapp

It's doing very well for it's first week. We are also in the top new releases :D I'm hoping to eventually get to the general top charts.

I move in to the university Thursday, so after everything settles down I'll start to implement multiplayer and the updates listed above (last page in the thread).

Hope you guys are all doing well :)

Joe.

Karakato Dzo

Smash Cadet
Hey @ jdawg99 jdawg99 I just want to tell you I am currently dealing with my finals so the past week has been hectic. I'll have to work on my projects for the next week, after that, I can say I'm finished for the term.

Anyway yes, the sprite size is accurate to his other sprites, but he is larger compared to the others. Expect new attacks after my finals, I had to put whatever I was working on hold for the moment.

Also, I just saw the free version and that's great to hear. Will be Getting it asap :D

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
I've played the free version, and unfortunately it's not very impressive. The controls are really awkward, and the attacks rarely hit the opponents, and even if they do hit someone, it's really hard to tell.

Sometimes when I try to do a down smash attack, my character just walks off the screen. Why does this happen?

Items also appear way to often. The stage gets so full of those rocket items that I can hardly see what my character is doing.

I think you might have to consider changing up the controls up a bit. There's this 2D mobile platformer called Super Jump Bros, where the character can only do one attack. It may sound simple, but I think that could work for a game like Smash Clash as it could allow newcomers to pick up and play the game easier.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I've played the free version, and unfortunately it's not very impressive. The controls are really awkward, and the attacks rarely hit the opponents, and even if they do hit someone, it's really hard to tell.

Sometimes when I try to do a down smash attack, my character just walks off the screen. Why does this happen?

Items also appear way to often. The stage gets so full of those rocket items that I can hardly see what my character is doing.

I think you might have to consider changing up the controls up a bit. There's this 2D mobile platformer called Super Jump Bros, where the character can only do one attack. It may sound simple, but I think that could work for a game like Smash Clash as it could allow newcomers to pick up and play the game easier.
I don't think having 1 attack button would be a great idea as of now(If that's what you mean by "1 attack"). Probably too late for it since the 2 buttons are already implemented and would be a downgrade where people would complain since the game has already been released. Honestly, I don't mind the buttons at all and having less attacks kinda makes characters less unique and wouldn't have much time to master the one you really like. That's just me though.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Hey @ jdawg99 jdawg99 I just want to tell you I am currently dealing with my finals so the past week has been hectic. I'll have to work on my projects for the next week, after that, I can say I'm finished for the term.

Anyway yes, the sprite size is accurate to his other sprites, but he is larger compared to the others. Expect new attacks after my finals, I had to put whatever I was working on hold for the moment.

Also, I just saw the free version and that's great to hear. Will be Getting it asap :D
Awesome :) Good luck on finals. I moved in last Thrusday and things are getting pretty hectic. I've finally gotten some time to work on online mode some more tonight. Hopefully it will be done my September :)

Those are all good points. I don't know what you are talking about with the character walking off the screen though. Could you be a bit more specific with what happened? Was it down B ("fireball button") or down A ("punch button")?

I don't think having 1 attack button would be a great idea as of now(If that's what you mean by "1 attack"). Probably too late for it since the 2 buttons are already implemented and would be a downgrade where people would complain since the game has already been released. Honestly, I don't mind the buttons at all and having less attacks kinda makes characters less unique and wouldn't have much time to master the one you really like. That's just me though.
Great answer.

I'm so glad we launched this summer. I'm so busy at the University. I'm focusing on multiplayer, adding a few things such as an item and fixing glitches. There will be a 1.5 update including these updates which will be hopefully ready by September sometime.

When one of you finishes (or gets close to finishing) a new character I will prioritize that for a Christmas update and maybe make a holiday sale too :)

Stats on SC in the first 2 weeks
- 279 downloads
- 4.76/5.00 stars (83 ratings)

Stats on SC free version in first week
- 1,151 downlaods
- 4.08/5.00 stars (51 ratings)

Very impressive guys! Great work! Once we get enough revenue I can afford to get some ads and servers up for multiplayer :)

CrossoverMan

Smash Ace
It mainly tends to happen when I try to do Flare's down attack. Might just be because of my fat fingers, though.

By free demo standards, I will say the game is pretty good though. I can't buy the full version, unfortunately. Maybe you guys could also implement a more pronounced 'whack' sound effect whenever someone is hit, so it's easier to tell if the attack connected.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Do you plan on making the next version IOS compatible?
The website should say that it's coming soon. Jdawg said awhile ago when the game was about to release on google play, that he was having problems with Apple and until the whole Apple problem is over, he should be able to release it. But I'm not sure if he is still having that problem today since it's been awhile.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Do you plan on making the next version IOS compatible?
I'm working on it. I'm having to use my brother's mac at home, but I live on campus. Right now I can only develop on weekends mainly. Things are busier than I thought at the university.

Btw, stats are amazing on Google Play.
Paid: 800+
Free: 10,000+

I have fall break coming up soon so I can wrap up iOS soon!

Undead_terror

Smash Cadet
NNID
Undead_terror
3DS FC
5198-2827-6360
Sadly you can now pirate the game, you can download the game for free on some sites.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone,

I know it's been awhile since anything has happened, so I'm going to just give some updates, and a little information about where I would like this project to go.

Updates
  1. Stats - The paid version has nearly 1,000 downloads and the free version has over 16,000 downloads.
  2. Check your email/messages - I will be contacting each developer individually in the next month.
  3. iOS is still in the works
Where Smash Clash is headed
  • Updates - I am adopting a monthly update system. Both the free version and paid version will receive an update on the first of each month. The updates for October first are as follows.
    • Paid: Easier to unlock Mr. Randoms and LJM. Colors are randomized when you do a quick match
    • Free: You can unlock the penguin by winning three matches in a row.
  • Multiplayer - nope. Latency is too bad. Look at any fast paced smash like game and you will see latency sucks for smash games
  • iOS - I don't have a mac..and therefore can only work on it when I'm with my brother who has one. Over fall break I'm going to try and finish the port and get it live on the store
  • College life - I'm busy. We're all busy. But I think we can spare enough time to regularly update this app. It will greatly increase our user base and make it all the more fun to play!
  • New characters - Please! If anyone still wants to make a character I will gladly add one if you sprite him or her. A sixth character would be amazing!
That's it for now! I'll be working on updates for version 1.2 in November :D

God bless,

Joe.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Quick update...I've finally gotten around to learning git, and it's beautiful :D

So I'm currently in the process of making two repositories, Super Smash Full and Smash Clash Free. I will be able to export both to iOS and Android using the same files. Once I finish this today, you're going to see me updating very rapidly as I can then develop for iOS and Android at the same time :D

Joe.

DemonApple

Smash Rookie
Hiya! :dr^_^: I'm Christina, SheldonRandoms' little sister, and I have fulfilled the great prophecy! I finally finished the Sprites for Ziggurat! I put all the sprites in a giant folder like SheldonRandoms told me to and whatnot, I made a smashboards, and then, much to my dismay, there was no attach files button. :drsad: I don't know why it would want to hide from me like that, there's no need for it to be so shy.

DemonApple

Smash Rookie
(Double Jump)
(Special)
(Damage)
(Down Normal)
(Run)
(Stance)
(Falling)
(Normal)
(Up Normal)
(Forward Special)

Here is a sampling of what I've worked on. :drflip:

Last edited:

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
@ DemonApple DemonApple :drifloon::dr-_-::drfacepalm::drflip::dr^_^::drohmy::drohyou::drsad::drshrug::drwtf:

Anyway, here is Ziggurat that I showed before, and he's pretty much wrapped up, and ready to go! Stuff got in the way (as usual), but thankfully he's done, and will hopefully be another great addition to Smash Clash :4shulk:I'm really feeling it!

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
(Double Jump)
(Special)
(Damage)
(Down Normal)
(Run)
(Stance)
(Falling)
(Normal)
(Up Normal)
(Special)

Here is a sampling of what I've worked on. :drflip:
Looking amazing! This will be a great addition to the roster. I'll post some alluding tweets during development ;) Get some hype going :D

DemonApple

Smash Rookie
Is there a limit to how many alternative colors there can be? If there is, I'll just make the first three alternatives and if there's ever an update for more alternatives I'd make the other ones.

This is Ziggurat's Up special. The last two sprites repeat and he can fly around the stage for a bit

...Until his tail gives out and he falls down. :drfacepalm:

This is his hanging.

Jump

Also, his special repeats a few times until this lil twister is made that moves around randomly for a few seconds

This is the projectile thrown in his forward special

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
Also, speaking of alternative colors, would it be possible if I could make alt. colors for Mr.Randoms, that could be added in an update?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Is there a limit to how many alternative colors there can be? If there is, I'll just make the first three alternatives and if there's ever an update for more alternatives I'd make the other ones.

This is Ziggurat's Up special. The last two sprites repeat and he can fly around the stage for a bit

...Until his tail gives out and he falls down. :drfacepalm:

This is his hanging.

Jump

Also, his special repeats a few times until this lil twister is made that moves around randomly for a few seconds

This is the projectile thrown in his forward special
Looks amazing!!!

Also, speaking of alternative colors, would it be possible if I could make alt. colors for Mr.Randoms, that could be added in an update?
Yes you can make them! Make as many alternates as you'd like. Just make sure they are the exact same dimensions and order as the other sprites.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to that zombies update haha.
Still a bit glitchy, and the costumes aren't very good. If someone wants to make zombie costumes we still have a week or so. I'm focusing on the game itself, aesthetics isn't really my thing.

WitherMan

Smash Rookie
You should be able to very easily get this working with some kind of mobile bluetooth controller as well, so you could allways have that as a option for controls.

WitherMan

Smash Rookie
As for costumes, a very basic idea is you could do different parts of each character in GIMP or Paint.Net's colorization and slightly change the pallet, to where they all look decent enough without looking too terrible. Of course this would all be placeholder stuff to be refined in the future. How many characters do you plan on having at the end of this project, and will it be free?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
As for costumes, a very basic idea is you could do different parts of each character in GIMP or Paint.Net's colorization and slightly change the pallet, to where they all look decent enough without looking too terrible. Of course this would all be placeholder stuff to be refined in the future. How many characters do you plan on having at the end of this project, and will it be free?
I already did this and it's in the game :) I'm hoping to eventually have better costumes of course...

You should be able to very easily get this working with some kind of mobile bluetooth controller as well, so you could allways have that as a option for controls.
Meh. I have no idea how to do that...and I have nothing to test it with...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zombies

Zombies are finally behaving more like zombies. I got the lighting nice and dim, and I edited the dungeon stage to make it flat. It looks pretty decent...but the problem I'm finding is that is isn't particularly fun...

Basically, the other three characters have zombie skins and you have to fight them off. They walk slowly at you and after hitting them a few times they disappear and a new one appears and walks in from the side. Also a dead body pops up in the air and can be kicked around for a few seconds before disappearing. I'm going to have a highscore table to see who can kill the most zombies before dying...

But yeah, that's it for zombies. I need suggestions to make it more fun. Something spontaneous and easy to implement. Idk if you don't come up with anything it should be fine the way it is now when I ship the update.

New Forum

My friend has put together a new forum for Smash Clash related things. I linked to it in a tweet today and we have gotten over 50 views and 1 registered user xD Pretty solid for one tweet if you ask me. Anyways, I'm going to need you guys to back this and get excited and involved on this forum. The more active that forum becomes in the future, the more of a community the game can develop.

Here's the link http://smashclash.proboards.com/

I'm planning on officially launching this in the next month or so.

Ziggurat

Man this character is awesome! Coodos to Christina @ DemonApple DemonApple for spriting him! Because of this new character we had some intense hype on Twitter with a record breaking 16 retweets and 18 favorites!!! Amazing! Twitter's analytics says this one tweet was seen by more than a 1000 people!

Screenshot from 2014-10-19 01:01:34.png

Link: https://twitter.com/SmashClash/status/523584759402754048

I plan on posting an image next week of the character not being blacked out. I might be mean and have something obstruct the view of him too. Idk we will see. From then on I'm going to start posting updates with animations of Ziggurat attacking or what not!

iOS

This thing is impossible to get around to. I have a friend who has a Mac who is going to try to help me out. The problem is the Mac at home doesn't run the newest iOS which Apple requires for videos and certain App Store things to be uploaded too. There is also a glitch with Game Center's highscore API I am having a problem with. Good news is everything else works perfectly on iOS. I just NEED this to be right the first time as reviews in the App Store tend to be more unforgiving than those in the Play Store (they find a glitch, rate it 1 star and never redo their rating if I fix it). So I have one shot at making Smash Clash big in the App Store ecosystem.

Windows Phone 8

Corona SDK (the program I use) will soon support this. I'm very excited as the Windows Store does not have many game apps on it, so we will have a strong niche here.

I'm getting a better handle on things at college so I will probably be a lot more active here. I'm expecting Smash Clash's popularity to more than double after adding our new character, starting the forum and launching it on more platforms!

You guys are great! God bless and take care!

Joe.

Last edited:

SheldonRandoms

Smash Cadet
If you need zombie costumes, then I could make one for Mr.Randoms. Here I made him into a mummy, which is a type of zombie (When they walk around and stuff). Here's a preview of Mummy Randoms I made : D One version has an extra outline then what he normally has, while the other one is the same amount as his normal.

Also, just joined the forum, and will........say things XD

Last edited:

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
If you need zombie costumes, then I could make one for Mr.Randoms. Here I made him into a mummy, which is a type of zombie (When they walk around and stuff). Here's a preview of Mummy Randoms I made : D One version has an extra outline then what he normally has, while the other one is the same amount as his normal.

Also, just joined the forum, and will........say things XD
Looks great! Can you get him done by this weekend?
Could you edit him on this file? It will translate perfectly into the game code

Attachments

itsraeg

Smash Rookie
I bought your game but when i start it, I get this and i am not sure if its doing something or not. I am running it on a Samsung Galaxy S4

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I bought your game but when i start it, I get this and i am not sure if its doing something or not. I am running it on a Samsung Galaxy S4

That's odd. I have the same phone but it doesn't give me that. Have you tried redownloding it?

itsraeg

Smash Rookie
I found the problem.

I had a Google licence verification emulatio thingy (*cough* which i would never in ever need because i paid for every app i own *cough*) that screwed with the licence verification in the game.

It works like a charm now.

Top Bottom