• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Clash: The Mobile Multiplayer Platformer Fighting Game

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
How could you control such a complex game without buttons?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
That's actually a great question and I'm working on that. Right now I just have and A and B button and a joystick. I was thinking about just having A jump and B do special attacks and maybe a shield button later on. Do you think this is too minimalistic?? Here is the screenshot by the way.

Attachments

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Is that screen shot taken straight from the game or did you just make it with a simple image editor like MS Paint?

If it's the latter, I can see this topic getting locked. You are not allowed to make a topic on a game/project you're working unless you have actual proof that it is being worked on with a decent amount of progress already finished (with proof).

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Is that screen shot taken straight from the game or did you just make it with a simple image editor like MS Paint?

If it's the latter, I can see this topic getting locked. You are not allowed to make a topic on a game/project you're working unless you have actual proof that it is being worked on with a decent amount of progress already finished (with proof).
I see. Sorry for being ambiguous about that. Yes that was a screenshot of the actual game on the simulator. When I get this first version finished soon I'll post an apk for android users. Would this topic be locked for the game being underdeveloped? I figured since I'm making an actual game it would be fine.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
FIRST DEMO COMPLETE!! Okay. I decided I'll upload the demo after the first week. This is only for Android because Apple does not allow installing app from online websites. Main accomplishments was getting the camera to feel as "Brawl-like" as possible and setting up the code infrastructure. The controls are A jumps and joystick moves. Also one CPU jumps and the other follows you. I'm just testing out AI right now so they aren't perfect yet, but we will get there. Also all the characters are Mario because I decided I'll finish his moveset first and then move on to the others and start adding more characters. Another thing to be aware of is that the menu button in the pause menu cause the game to mess up the next time you try it. Also if it glitches and doesn't let you move the character end the process and resart.

Dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/eqrzj4zh9tpef1k/iSmash Brosv011.apk
If you do not know how is install an apk this place can help. http://kopypasta-free.blogspot.com/p/tutorial-how-to-install-apk-file.html

Tell me what you guys think. :joyful:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
For the control scheme, I would follow SSL's lead and do the control stick, attack button, jump button, and no shield.
Although one thing you could possibly do is map the volume control to work as a shield button during matches.

As cool an idea as this is and despite the fact that you've actually shown progress on it (something many announced smash fangames cannot boast), I doubt this would make it through an app store due to all the potential copyright problems.
I think jailbroken/rooted devices would still be able to run it though.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Sorry what is SSL? And I was also wondering about that and thinking the game would either have to be 100% free to hopefully avoid infringement. Or, I also had another idea of changing all the graphics at the end to something else. Like maybe have the same movesets but the characters look different. Like Mario would have the same attacks, but we could change the image so it's our own art. Maybe keep the new character also red, that way people relate him to Mario. And instead of calling him "Mario" call him "Matt" and "Luigi" could be "Luke". Idk these are just ideas. So this is a shout out to all spriters! Is it possible to make our own sprites, but somehow give the audience the impression of being like another character? Btw I would highly appreciate any help on this project. As you can see, I have no ability to make art, so if you guys can help that would be great. Also, development my seem to slow down this next week because I am working on making the code more flexible to adding more characters. So there isn't much to see, but that will make it easier to update in the future and more stable.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
SSL stands for Super Smash Land, another Smash fangame developed to make it seem like it was made for the GameBoy. Since the GB only had a control pad and the A and B buttons (plus Start/Select), each character has a more limited moveset than in normal Smash but 4nace did an amazing job adapting to it.
Scroll down in this board and you'll probably find the thread.

If it's just going to be a download rather than actually going through the store itself you probably won't find much of a problem with copyright stuff; just don't put ads in or charge for it and you should be good to go.

However, what you could do is try and design original characters, stages, etc. Then you could both give yourself much more creative freedom and also be able to make a profit (something other Smash fangames avoid like the plague due to the copyright infringement issues associated with it). It could still run similarly to a Smash game, although making original characters can be much tougher than working with pre-existing ones.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Ok I took a look at SSL. I really liked how they handled the one button attack. They managed to have I think 7 attacks with one button. I'm probably going to follow their lead on this one. Going back to the whole copyright issue, I noticed your a spriter. Are you only able to rip sprites from games are can you create them from scratch?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Wow, you've actually got a really good start with this. Maybe you can ask Super Smash Flash 2 for their sprites and/or music and work as a collaborative side project.

I know I'm thinking a little ahead here but once the core engine and mechanics are starting to shape up WiFi Direct is a really great platform for local multiplayer, I wish mobile devs would use it more over Bluetooth.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you've actually got a really good start with this. Maybe you can ask Super Smash Flash 2 for their sprites and/or music and work as a collaborative side project.

I know I'm thinking a little ahead here but once the core engine and mechanics are starting to shape up WiFi Direct is a really great platform for local multiplayer, I wish mobile devs would use it more over Bluetooth.
Yeah I really want to have 4-player wifi matches. That would be a big plus for the game. I've been researching how to do bluetooth but can't find it. If you find any way to do bluetooth connections with Corona SDK that would be great.

@dettadeus
Yeah I think original characters is what we will have to do. Definitely want to have some of these characters either exactly like or very similar to their smash counterparts. Any of you know someone who can make base sprites from scratch?

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Yeah I really want to have 4-player wifi matches. That would be a big plus for the game. I've been researching how to do bluetooth but can't find it. If you find any way to do bluetooth connections with Corona SDK that would be great.
Naw, I'm not talking WiFi, I mean WiFi direct. It's for local connections (not online like WiFi is) and it's a lot more powerful than bluetooth, you can find Android documentation for it here.

I've never used Corona before so I don't know how anything works with that though.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Naw, I'm not talking WiFi, I mean WiFi direct. It's for local connections (not online like WiFi is) and it's a lot more powerful than bluetooth, you can find Android documentation for it here.

I've never used Corona before so I don't know how anything works with that though.
Sorry that's what I meant. Not online games but inside local wifi you could play with your friends. Probably going to try to implement this next week before the game gets too big.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys it's official. iSmash Brothers will NOT support any fighters from actual super smash games. This is due to laws against copyright infringement. The game, however, will support characters similar to playing styles of those in brawl.

For spriters: If any of you would like to how your work added into the game, please PM me, and we can work something out to get your name in the credits and even have your work in the final game. If any of you want to start making characters for the game I would suggest basing their moves off of actual characters from the smash series. For example, make a small cute cridder as a replacement for pickachu. Or a guy with a sword as a replacement for Marth. We want the game to feel "smashy" but respect the copyrights.

For coders: I also haven't forgotten about you guys. I'm currently working on a bunch of core things in the engine. Pretty soon I will release the character files as open-source for the forum. I'm not sure on exactly how this will work, so I wouldn't count on it. I was thinking about allowing everyone to have access to the basic "mario" character code and they edit it to adapt their own character. The only problem I see with this is being about to let you guys test the code without the core engine. Because let's face it, I'm not going to put the entire game out there for someone to steal. Send me a PM if you know how this could work.

Last edited:

MVP

Smash Ace
Ok guys it's official. iSmash Brothers will NOT support any fighters from actual super smash games. This is due to laws against copyright infringement. The game, however, will support characters similar to playing styles of those in brawl.

So no Samus then??!?

also, does this game work on any iphone/ ipod (of course touchscreen) ? like any generation?

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I'm running in on my old DroidX and it runs fine so old devices shouldn't have a problem. There might be a Samus-like character but no there will not be same sprites as Samus. Exciting news guys! I'm starting development for 4-player local wifi battles tonight!

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Why not? It's not like you're releasing it on the app store or charging money or anything. There's dozens of quality Nintendo fangames that have come from start to finish (Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros Crusade being two of them) without a C&D and the worst I've ever heard done to a mobile fan game is Pokemon Tower Defense which got pulled from the Play store but is still being updated and distributed in both Flash and Android binaries.

MVP

Smash Ace
Why not? It's not like you're releasing it on the app store or charging money or anything. There's dozens of quality Nintendo fangames that have come from start to finish (Super Smash Flash 2 and Super Smash Bros Crusade being two of them) without a C&D and the worst I've ever heard done to a mobile fan game is Pokemon Tower Defense which got pulled from the Play store but is still being updated and distributed in both Flash and Android binaries.
Agreed..

also, the first post needs to be updated so it's easier to see the game and find screenshots

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Agreed..

also, the first post needs to be updated so it's easier to see the game and find screenshots
That is exactly the problem though. We want the game to reach the masses. The best way is via the Play Store and App Store. So copyright infringement DOES matter.

Also I will update the first post soon...once I finish the next version. We are in the middle of the week so I have classes, but I'm still working on it. I just made a breakthrough with organizing the character files so be expecting a more stable code next time around.

MVP

Smash Ace
That is exactly the problem though. We want the game to reach the masses. The best way is via the Play Store and App Store. So copyright infringement DOES matter.

Also I will update the first post soon...once I finish the next version. We are in the middle of the week so I have classes, but I'm still working on it. I just made a breakthrough with organizing the character files so be expecting a more stable code next time around.
cool cool,

By the way, make the "samus-like-character" really good. I'm kinda tired of samus sucking in every smash game ;)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
@MVP Don't worry. All the characters will be balance properly. :D

Also I need feedback on whether or not we should implement this. Shields? Yes or no?

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Yes plox. You could just let people map the physicals buttons of their phone to actions. I play Snes and NEs on my old Galaxy Mini with the volume buttons lol

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Okay I have the second build ready!

Watch it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08kmIMEFvns

Or download it for android at https://www.dropbox.com/s/g55vxps4am3bf3o/iSmash Bros011.apk

Updates:
- A lot more stable!
- Added ducking and looking up
- Able to exit back to menu
- Starting character select menu
- Pause button works 100%
- All characters are programmed exactly the same
- Starting to work with new graphics created by felipe_9595
- Animations from one screen to another
- Setting up code for local wifi gameplay (will most likely be finished in the next version)
- Fixed glitch were app crashes after closing and starting back up

@MVP I hope your happy with the new first post :p

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Looks like it's shaping up!
Something I'd suggest working on soon is getting a walking and dashing/running system in place. Like if the joystick is flicked to its max horizontal range (in either direction) within a very short time it registers as a dash, which turns into a run after about half a second, and otherwise it causes the player to walk.
I'd also suggest getting attacks to work (and other controls such as dashing and shielding) before doing multiplayer. Considering your control scheme, I'd set a volume control to shield, then with whatever the Attack button is, have one Neutral Attack which is the same in the air and on the ground, then Forward Air, Back Air, Up Air, and Down Air (direction + attack in the air), and since you have a joystick you can have both Tilts and Smashes on the ground, so Forward Tilt, Up Tilt, Down Tilt, Forward Smash, Up Smash, and Down Smash. With the implementation of the dashing and running state you can also include a Dash Attack. The only big requirement for these attacks is that the Up Air has to be the character's recovery move (usually the Up Special in normal smash games).
Another option is adding Grabs, either by pressing Shield and Attack together or setting another volume control button to Grab.

Graphics-wise, I'd also suggest making something cool for the A and B buttons so it's not just a letter in the circle. Maybe a neon letter to match the button outline, at least.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the feedback dettadeus! Yeah I'd be glad to have a new joystick but I'm putting all my time into the development and I'm not good with graphics. If any of you want to edit them go ahead.

Attachments

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Oh and funny story! So today the internet was down at my school so I couldn't do my online class. So I got to work making the characters able to hang on ledges. So the first attempt seemed pretty promising until I compiled it.... (da da dum!) Once the Mario guy touched the ledge he started spazzing out and then the "ledge" object started floating away carrying the other CPUs away. Then to finish it all I got an error in the debugger saying "cannot compare nil with number" and it force closed. Probably the most epic glitch I've made in my life. Btw I did fix it and it works now :)

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys. Expect the update in about a week or so.
The new update will have:
- completely new physics engine which allows characters to differ in gravity, speed etc.
- ledges
- button mapping for controls including hard keys for Android (iOS blocks all hard key overrides)
- more menu buttons
- button menu animations
- graphic updates (btw if anyone is interested in sending in their art to the game PM me)
- mutliplayer (very early stages of it)
- better AI
- camera will be more responsive and resemble smash
- a second stage
- working character select screen
- music (also if you have any work you would like to see in the game PM me)
- tablet optimization
- loading screen to get the game running slightly faster
- app icon
- and finally, last but definitely not least, our first attack :D
So now you guys how some things to look forward to. If you have any ideas tell me about them and chances are you will see that idea in the final product! :)

Oh and just sort of a funny thought, I've always preferred Mario in all smash games so it is going to be really hard not to overpower him :p

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
I am also a musician btw, i can make you a menu theme when i get free from the university xD

Ill get around making graphics for the menu (and the logo) around the next week.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
I am also a musician btw, i can make you a menu theme when i get free from the university xD

Ill get around making graphics for the menu (and the logo) around the next week.
Great! Can't wait to see them.

I think we are going to only have 8 attacks. Tell me if you think any others are needed.
- Up
- Down
- Neutral
- Side
- Dash
- Ledge
- Getting up
- Final Smash

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
Made a quick video of what's going on with development. I posted it at the top. Tell me what you guys think.

jdawg99

Smash Journeyman
So my classes are getting a bit crazy......the next update will probably take awhile. Good news is in about three weeks I'll be pretty much finished since most of my classes are AP and after the exam they're done. Then I'll be able to get this game cranking. Also I just upgraded to an S3 so I can actually test the multiplayer with the S3 and my old Droid X.

Top Bottom