• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It's good to see he recognizes that more female characters add to the game.
Now comes the question, are there any more?

Brawl added 1. Smash 64 had 1. Melee added 2 (unless you count Nana). We've already got 2.

I think I'm with the majority in thinking that Dixie and Palutena are both likely choices for more females.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
That was all I was trying to say. But of course people come out of nowhere to get the last word in the apparent "You are wrong and I am right!" argument that came about.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
That was all I was trying to say. But of course people come out of nowhere to get the last word in the apparent "You are wrong and I am right!" argument that came about.
Your font and your need to be different and stand-out is disgusting

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
why specifically do we need more FEMALE characters

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
That was mostly toward xenoblaze, not you hun. Sorry if we were jerks though. (don't kill me for saying hun)

Your font and your need to be different and stand-out is disgusting

Your avi is digusting, she can put whatever style she wants with her text you weirdo.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
That was mostly toward xenoblaze, not you hun. Sorry if we were jerks though. (don't kill me for saying hun)
Your avi is digusting, she can put whatever style she wants with her text you weirdo.
Beta-male white knight detected

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
and those are the ones that should be added. Their inclusion would make the game better because female players (who according to statistics are 47% female in gaming) would identify with more of the characters. Having more females in the game increases the likelihood for individuals to buy the game, since they are more likely to have those characters they identify with.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Whats wrong with diversifying the cast?
There should be more characters in general, not a subset of characters whose gender is among their purposes for inclusion. It makes about as much sense as "Smash Bros needs more dog characters"

The more characters the better but when you start adding characters for the sole purpose of satisfying one demographic you get terrible characters like wii-fit trainer which is literally a background element from a fitness simulator

Forcerounds

Smash Journeyman
There's no quota for female characters. Coincidentally, more female characters are being added to the roster. That's all.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
There should be more characters in general, not a subset of characters whose gender is among their purposes for inclusion. It makes about as much sense as "Smash Bros needs more dog characters"

The more characters the better but when you start adding characters for the sole purpose of satisfying one demographic you get terrible characters like wii-fit trainer which is literally a background element from a fitness simulator
I'm not saying that the gender should be one of the most important factors in deciding a charcter but it is a factor whether you like it or not.
it has to be balanced with importance, popularity,uniquness etc and nintendo have plenty of female characters that fit that mold.
Diversity is a good thing It helps the overall look of the game.
The first thing a gamer looks to when playing a fighting game is the character roster and it helps to have a character that everyone Identifies with..

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'm not saying that the gender should be one of the most important factors in deciding a charcter but it is a factor whether you like it or not.
it has to be balanced with importance, popularity,uniquness etc and nintendo have plenty of female characters that fit that mold.

The first thing a gamer looks to when playing a fighting game is the character roster and it helps to have a character that everyone Identifies with. This helps the overall look of the game.
Yeah, in a game based off of pretend cartoon characters with super powers duking it out, I will only buy the game if there is one I can relate to

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
Yeah, in a game based off of pretend cartoon characters with super powers duking it out, I will only buy the game if there is one I can relate to
you're taking my statement way out of context.
having a female character attracts female gamers. If there wasn't even a single female in smash bros do you think as many females would play it?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
having a female character attracts female gamers. If there wasn't even a single female in smash bros do you think as many females would play it?

I think that's taking it a bit too far the other way but there'd be a lotta people angry that Samus Aran isn't in it.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
That is irrelevant because its not like there were never any girls in smash games other than 64 which just had one or two counting jiggs

The amount they have added in now is plenty to attract females

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
The reason Smash needs more girls?

To attract an audience. Girls like role model heroes, like Samus and Zelda, who stand up for what they want. A lot of guys dream about women, like Samus and Zelda, who are attractive. It hits the best of both worlds.

I personally don't care, as long as we see Palutena get in.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
A character should not be considered a more valid or less valid choice because of gender that is idiotic.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Nintendo would like to apologize for making likable female characters and for making a game that strongly appeals to Nintendo fans that could potentially feature various likable female Nintendo characters.

Yay Peach and Zelda and Rosalina! Bring on Palutena and Dixie Kong and Krystal. Eehhh Zero Suit Samus, I prefer her using her Chozo Suit. If there are more female characters worth adding, then by all means add 'em! Add 'em if they're pretty! Add 'em if they got awesome fighting skills! Add 'em if they can only cry "Help, help!" and daintily toss various items! Add 'em if they're beautiful! Add 'em if they're hideous! Add 'em if they're amazingly heroic! Add 'em if they're deliciously villainous! Add 'em if they got curves and lips and eyes that hypnotize! Add 'em if they're little kids that normally have no business fighting! Add 'em if they're leather-skinned old fogies! Add 'em if they have smooth silky skin! Add 'em if they're covered in fur! Add 'em if they're clearly not human-like!

...And add 'em if they're actually not female. As long as they're likable.

It's a PREFERENCE.
BOOYAH.

DON'T add them if they diminish Ridley's chances. 'Cause otherwise they can ALL get the heck out. RIDLEY REPRESENT. :evil:

loganhogan

Smash Ace

Fighting games with large casts try to attract to as many groups possible, among them are those the love picking female characters. That's why many developers balance out their rosters by deciding the amounts and ratio between male and female characters. It could be the case that Sakurai wants to cater to them too but not by adding just any female because they're female but for a combination of things like their status among the series or how influential they are.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I support Dixie Kong's inclusion. Other than that, all the prominent female Nintendo characters are already in.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
What about Jiggly? Jiggly in smash is supposed to be female right?
its safe to assume i think.

Sakurai gave Jiggs the female pokemon trainer hat in Brawl. Not to mention Jigglypuff has a 75 percent female ratio in the pokemon games.

and in the first Smash, all Jigg's color changes were Bows.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
Fighting games with large casts try to attract to as many groups possible, among them are those the love picking female characters. That's why many developers balance out their rosters by deciding the amounts and ratio between male and female characters. It could be the case that Sakurai wants to cater to them too but not by adding just any female because they're female but for a combination of things like their status among the series or how influential they are.
Do you know how many girls actually care about smash bros regardless of who is included or not? Very few compared to the amount of boys interested in it. Why do you think there are so few girls on forums like these? Because smash doesn't have enough girls? No, because they aren't interested in a fighting game and adding 100 girls to the roster won't change that. There are enough females already on the roster that if a female wants this game, she'll get it.

Big Rig Randy

Smash Cadet
The argument saying that female characters attracts more female players is complete garbage. There are zero white supremacist characters and I still love Smash Bros.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Though gender does not add any bonus point in the likelihood department, it'd be/it is neat, dare I say refreshing, to see more females added to the roster. Especially Lip.

Big Rig Randy

Smash Cadet
Though gender does not add any bonus point in the likelihood department, it'd be/it is neat, dare I say refreshing, to see more females added to the roster. Especially Lip.
No, that's completely false.

I don't want to see obscure garbage characters like Lip in just because she'd be "refreshing". That's like saying you'd love to see Jerry Sandusky in Smash due to the appalling lack of child molesters in the roster.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019

I don't want to see obscure garbage characters like Lip in just because she'd be "refreshing". That's like saying you'd love to see Jerry Sandusky in Smash due to the appalling lack of child molesters in the roster.
The lack of native american representation on the roster is offensive to me

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Do you know how many girls actually care about smash bros regardless of who is included or not? Very few compared to the amount of boys interested in it. Why do you think there are so few girls on forums like these? Because smash doesn't have enough girls? No, because they aren't interested in a fighting game and adding 100 girls to the roster won't change that. There are enough females already on the roster that if a female wants this game, she'll get it.

It isn't about female gamers only and it wasn't part of my argument either. I suggested a reason why Sakurai could have felt like adding more female newcomers this time than he did last time. The "Smash needs more females/girls" complaints for one means a group of people are interested in female newcomers, and similar groups like that exist for every fighting or almost every multiplayer game. It could be that like other fighting game developers he's decided to even up the ratio a little bit, but not by adding any female but only the more significant.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
It isn't about female gamers only and it wasn't part of my argument either. I suggested a reason why Sakurai could have felt like adding more female newcomers this time than he did last time. The "Smash needs more females/girls" complaints for one means a group of people are interested in female newcomers, and similar groups like that exist for every fighting or almost every multiplayer game. It could be that like other fighting game developers he's decided to even up the ratio a little bit, but not by adding any female but only the more significant.
The people who care that much are people who are going to buy the game regardless

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

Err... Well, I don't want to see Lip getting in just because she's "refreshing". I want her in because I love Panel de Pon, her moveset could be really unique, and becuase I like me some retros, among others. The fact that she's a girl, while it means jack-squat, is merely a minor "bonus".

Though, I'm not very pleased with that asinine analogy of yours, sir...

loganhogan

Smash Ace
The people who care that much are people who are going to buy the game regardless

More than likely yes, but he's focused on rewarding his fans. In Melee he felt that the six clones would be more rewarding than one newcomer with a unique moveset, he's trying to satisfy everyone. It could be that he's trying to satisfy these group of people by adding more females, and it could also happen for the people asking for more villains.

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545
thats because boys are interested in games more overall. Females are a relatively untaped market and Nintendo have expressed interest in having more females play their consoles.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
thats because boys are interested in games more overall. Females are a relatively untaped market and Nintendo have expressed interest in having more females play their consoles.
Smash Bros isn't the right place to market to female gamers

Big Rig Randy

Smash Cadet
If any girl played video games, she'd get made fun of relentlessly, doesn't matter if it's pre-school, grade school, high school, or college. Therefore no actual girls play video games because come on, would you sleep with a chick who follows Smash Bros?

tl;dr, only home schooled girls play video games.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
This seems fun. Keep in mind that strong female characters don't just attract female gamers. Some of my favorite characters in gaming are female (Lucina, Ibuki,etc). Just look at some of the new franchises in all of entertainment. The Hunger Games is fairly popular, but that is not solely due to females watching the film. And that film has an awesome female protagonist.

Entertainment is really just getting around to understanding that having female protagonists doesnt distract from the product. Video Games is included. You want to be a leader in an industry, not following what everyone else does. What other games do in terms of diversity has nothing to do with what Sakurai and company should do.
Female gamers are 47% of the gaming market. This forum is not a random sample of the gaming public. Generally, the internet is filled with much more males than feemales. Adding more worthy female characters won't make males less interested. Were there any males turned off by Rosalina's inclusion. I doubt it. The purpose is to further convince people who are already considering the purchase. To tip the scales of you will.

Newsflash. It's 2013. Women and girls play video games.

Lip is not obscure garbage character in the least. She's the lead protagonist of Nintendo's long running puzzle franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom