• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
The huge increase makes me wonder if some of them were chosen because of the amiibos. For overall appeal increasing the amount of female reps is a good strategy. I'm sure from a marketing point, having an almost all male line of toys wouldn't be the best approach for bringing in new kids to smash. (although power rangers seems to ignore female characters pretty well when producing toys).

Wondering if alt costumes will get amiibo figures. Female villagers, male wii fit trainer ect.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I didn't break it down like that when I made the post originally but good job, I had no idea how one sided it was, and you are completely right, however I always knew more male characters have been included than female characters but my overall suggestion was that we should only include female characters if they are worthy of smash, not added for the hell of it to even up the gender ratio.

Looking at the female characters added to this game, I have no doubt they deserve a spot, but for the casual gamers, not many will be immediately recognisable. I showed images of Rosalina, Palutena and Lucina to some of my cousins and casual gaming friends and they had no idea who they were. The video game industry has a habit of generally making the main characters male. Smash reflects this, whether they intended to or not. The worst thing smash could do is include half thought out and undeserving characters purely for the fact they are female to even up the representation.

I want to see the inclusion of characters like dixie and impa etc. however they need to have movesets and a fanbase deserving of inclusion.
I don't disagree, actually. I think the problem is a fundamental issue to games, and not one that Super Smash Bros. should be in charge of changing. Although characters added in Super Smash Bros. bring success to their series, so perhaps female-leaded obscure franchises could be represented to boost their popularity and that might help... But it still would be far from enough. I'm just saying, if Sakurai already loves adding obscure retro characters that haven't appeared in like 25+ years, then perhaps it's not too far off to find female ones. If it's argued to be 'forced' at that point, then I can no longer agree.

Anyway, the main reason I responded to your original post was because it was inaccurate, trying to mask the fact that this series is very male-dominated in its representation. It may be a symptom of gaming altogether, but we can't just go about denying it. Something needs to be done, somewhere, because it isn't right, even if it isn't this franchise's fault.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I just want good characters. Male or Female, doesn't matter to me.

Dixie, and Krystal are about the most deserving female characters IMO.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Honestly, I find it odd and sometimes even a little creepy the way certain people on here support any female character, no matter how obscure or unappealing the character is.
Well, in my case, I just happen to like female characters in video games.
Being a fan of Wario, Zelda and Kid Icarus doesn't help, as the heroes of those 3 series are surrounded by female characters :troll:

I'd say the only "weird case" in my signature is Sami, as it's because she is the best heir for Snake's moveset.

About a character being obscure... Again, if I like a character that is interesting I'll just support. The best example here is Alexandra Roivas. I wish for some Eternal Darkness content...

About the appeal of a character, it's totally subjective.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
They're not half the population of iconic Nintendo characters though. The reason that there is more males in the game is because the majority of iconic Nintendo characters are male. I'm all for having female characters in the game (Dixie is my most wanted newcomer) but only if they're iconic characters. I don't like the idea of adding females for the sake of their gender at the expense of otherwise better fits.

Dixie is actually a prime example of what I'm talking about. If DK is only afforded one new rep, although I'd personally prefer Dixie, K. Rool would be a better newcomer because he's more iconic and he's more unique. If they decide to add Dixie over K. Rool purely because she's female, that'd be an example of the roster and the general fanbase suffering for the sake of maintaining a politically correct ideology.
Agreed with the first paragraph; Smash needs more females, but they shouldn't be added for the sake of having more females.

Disagree with your second paragraph, though. I don't want to turn this into a Dixie vs K. Rool thread, but at the very least, the two are rather even in terms of being iconic and deserving of being in Smash. Dixie is, to my knowledge, one of Nintendo's first playable female characters in a series that actually made an impact, starred in her own game, and is still being used in the series to this day. Personally, I'd say she's easily more qualified than K. Rool, and I'd wager she's more recognizable to general audiences than K. Rool. And there shouldn't be any problems with making Dixie unique, either.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Agreeing with what exactly?

If Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer feel natural and Robin and Villager count as male more than female, then the only "unnatural" female newcomers are Lucina and Palutena. You already justified Lucina yourself, and Palutena was practically the most predicted newcomer of all, gender being meaningless. Definitely not forced.

Zelda/Sheik and Samus/ZSS were split because Sakurai decided to remove mid-match transformations. It just so happens that two of the three cases of this were with female characters.

I also have no clue how Mii Fighters can seem like a "forced" female inclusion when they are either gender and...just Miis. What's unnatural about characters who are supposed to be able to be either male or female (Mii Fighters, Villager, Robin) being male or female in this game?

It's sounding more like some people want to make a case for the idea that females are being added for the sake of having more females, but that just isn't true. Wait until we see someone like Krystal or Medusa to say that.

Not exactly in the same line of thought, but I have no idea what this is supposed to be. Why the hell would male WFT be the default when he didn't even exist to begin with until they created him for this game?
By unnatural, or even by forced, I'm not outright suggesting that their inclusion does not make sense, but rather that there is a case where they can be argued as such. In terms of the unnatural, I mean that few of the characters are ones that I'd consider to be a first choice when thinking of not just female characters but characters in general. Of course, this is a matter of personal opinion, but the choices of Rosalina, separate transformation characters of Zero Suit Samus and Sheik; these don't strike me as clear choices for characters.

In terms of clear character choices of both male and female, my thoughts immediately turn to the lead protagonist or antagonist of a game, and the most key characters of the very series. For instance, Dixie Kong comes across as an obvious choice as a DK newcomer, a female character, and a protagonist (she was the lead of Donkey Kong Country 3 after all). So does Lip from Panel de Pon, or Bubbles from Clu Clu Land. I suppose one could also count unique move-set as something to argue for character choice but Rosalina's usage of Luma doesn't come as a natural thought (an idea that could come to mind if I focused specifically on the character, but that's when the terming of her as unnatural comes in).

The unnaturalness of Zero Suit Samus and Sheik is quite clear, although they have separate move-sets, should we really count them as 2 additional female representatives? They still are Samus and Zelda respectively, we've instead just got two of the same person. Separation of character's transformations by themselves seem bizarre (and in my personal opinion, the worst decision made to SSB since tripping) and counting these two versions of already counted characters as additions to the female count is quite odd.

By suggesting the inclusions of Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Robin as forced or unnatural in terms of female representation, I do not mean that the characters themselves feel forced or that they should not have the gender option, rather that it is questionable if we should outright declare them as a female or male option.

When the subject of gender characters were brought up in previous SSB games, I remember debates on whether the Pokémon should be classified as one gender or another, and whether Nana is to be accepted as counting as a female inclusion. The amount of female characters were argued as being 3, or 5, and it all get messy. In the case of Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Robin, should these really be counted within the same brackets as female or male characters or instead a separate category of optional?

I would not say that any of these characters were forced into the game because of them being female, at least solely. What feels forced in a way is accepting these additions purely within the female categorisation given prior conversations I've had on this subject (perhaps it's seen differently here on Smashboards), placing the gender choice characters within both sections, the separated transformations counting separately despite being the same people who are already in; it does come across as unnatural to a degree hence why I agreed. I can understand though if you see otherwise, which is why I noted that such a view can be argued against but I feel both sides make a valid point.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
By unnatural, or even by forced, I'm not outright suggesting that their inclusion does not make sense, but rather that there is a case where they can be argued as such. In terms of the unnatural, I mean that few of the characters are ones that I'd consider to be a first choice when thinking of not just female characters but characters in general. Of course, this is a matter of personal opinion, but the choices of Rosalina, separate transformation characters of Zero Suit Samus and Sheik; these don't strike me as clear choices for characters.

In terms of clear character choices of both male and female, my thoughts immediately turn to the lead protagonist or antagonist of a game, and the most key characters of the very series. For instance, Dixie Kong comes across as an obvious choice as a DK newcomer, a female character, and a protagonist (she was the lead of Donkey Kong Country 3 after all). So does Lip from Panel de Pon, or Bubbles from Clu Clu Land. I suppose one could also count unique move-set as something to argue for character choice but Rosalina's usage of Luma doesn't come as a natural thought (an idea that could come to mind if I focused specifically on the character, but that's when the terming of her as unnatural comes in).

The unnaturalness of Zero Suit Samus and Sheik is quite clear, although they have separate move-sets, should we really count them as 2 additional female representatives? They still are Samus and Zelda respectively, we've instead just got two of the same person. Separation of character's transformations by themselves seem bizarre (and in my personal opinion, the worst decision made to SSB since tripping) and counting these two versions of already counted characters as additions to the female count is quite odd.

By suggesting the inclusions of Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Robin as forced or unnatural in terms of female representation, I do not mean that the characters themselves feel forced or that they should not have the gender option, rather that it is questionable if we should outright declare them as a female or male option.

When the subject of gender characters were brought up in previous SSB games, I remember debates on whether the Pokémon should be classified as one gender or another, and whether Nana is to be accepted as counting as a female inclusion. The amount of female characters were argued as being 3, or 5, and it all get messy. In the case of Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, and Robin, should these really be counted within the same brackets as female or male characters or instead a separate category of optional?

I would not say that any of these characters were forced into the game because of them being female, at least solely. What feels forced in a way is accepting these additions purely within the female categorisation given prior conversations I've had on this subject (perhaps it's seen differently here on Smashboards), placing the gender choice characters within both sections, the separated transformations counting separately despite being the same people who are already in; it does come across as unnatural to a degree hence why I agreed. I can understand though if you see otherwise, which is why I noted that such a view can be argued against but I feel both sides make a valid point.
So in essence, it's less that you don't think some of these characters should have been added and more that you don't know if some really "count" as female or not. That's totally reasonable in my opinion, not gonna argue with that.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
So in essence, it's less that you don't think some of these characters should have been added and more that you don't know if some really "count" as female or not. That's totally reasonable in my opinion, not gonna argue with that.
In part, yes, at least as far as my categorisation of forced and unnatural go.

Now I used to have some harsh words to say on Rosalina's inclusion, though they are ones that have overall softened now (I feel she's been added a bit early into the SSB series, but with how things are currently going they seem to be establishing her as a key part of the Mario series and so I feel she'll have proved her worthiness in my opinion as time goes on and that as other series gain reps it'll feel okay to me to have the Mario series with 5 reps).

I also have harsh things to say about Mii Fighters, but that's more the manner of their inclusion than they themselves.

So yeah, it's a more a matter of whether we should count the now separated transformations as counting towards the total amount of female characters in SSB and whether gender choice characters should be categorised within separate terms. Thank you very much for respecting my opinion on the matter; and summing it up much shorter than I myself could do.

Last edited:

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

Now I used to have some harsh words to say on Rosalina's inclusion, though they are ones that have overall softened now (I feel she's been added a bit early into the SSB series, but with how things are currently going they seem to be establishing her as a key part of the Mario series and so I feel she'll have proved her worthiness in my opinion as time goes on and that as other series gain reps it'll feel okay to me to have the Mario series with 5 reps).

I also have harsh things to say about Mii Fighters, but that's more the manner of their inclusion than they themselves.

So yeah, it's a more a matter of whether we should count the now separated transformations as counting towards the total amount of female characters in SSB and whether gender choice characters should be categorised within separate terms. Thank you very much for respecting my opinion on the matter; and summing it up much shorter than I myself could do.
Woah, woah, woah. what about daisy!?!?

About ZSS and Sheik- all you have to do is look at Brawl. Sheik is the one who was totally better than Zelda because of her(?) speed. As for ZSS, she has been really relevant to other M. Simple.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Woah, woah, woah. what about daisy!?!?

About ZSS and Sheik- all you have to do is look at Brawl. Sheik is the one who was totally better than Zelda because of her(?) speed. As for ZSS, she has been really relevant to other M. Simple.
Relevant? Perhaps, but enough to have their own slot when they are in fact the same as another already present character in terms of who they are? That rubs me the wrong way (though funnily enough it's Charizard's solo inclusion that rubs me the wrong way the most, but that's a different matter to this overall subject).

Also, what about Daisy? Could you explain your question in a bit more detail?

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks

For Rosalina, it lines up with Smash has down since Melee: representing the last generation of gaming. I don't think that you can be too early to add to Smash.

I've always counted transformation as separate characters, so I don't really count them towards the added female roster. I just used that picture because I found it on tumblr. We count Mario and Dr. Mario as separate characters, and they are both Mario. It should be no different for Sheik and ZSS.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Relevant? Perhaps, but enough to have their own slot when they are in fact the same as another already present character in terms of who they are? That rubs me the wrong way (though funnily enough it's Charizard's solo inclusion that rubs me the wrong way the most, but that's a different matter to this overall subject).
I think it works for Samus and ZSS. They're the same person, but they play differently enough, and I consider both versions worthy of inclusion in the game, so with transformations out, it only follows that they're separate.

I don't really agree with Sheik, though. I feel like Sheik only ever got to exist in Smash because of the transformation gimmick. She's not nearly relevant enough otherwise.

As Rosalina was the other one you mentioned up there for potentially "unnatural," well, I think she makes perfect sense. They're clearly serious about using her in the main Mario games. Apparently not many people were supporting her, so I guess I'm one of the few who actually predicted she'd be added.

Then again, this isn't really what the topic is supposed to be about, is it?

bilbo43

Smash Cadet
Anyway, the main reason I responded to your original post was because it was inaccurate, trying to mask the fact that this series is very male-dominated in its representation. It may be a symptom of gaming altogether, but we can't just go about denying it. Something needs to be done, somewhere, because it isn't right, even if it isn't this franchise's fault.
Fair call. You caught me out on my exaggeration. I was wrong in the evenness of the representation of males to females but I still feel that it's going to be more a case of female characters added in this game for the sake of adding female characters over the deservedness of a female character added to the cast if too many female characters are added from here till the full cast is released. Dont get me wrong, I want more female representation, but it has to be deserved. (Again the characters added so far I feel are deserved, not trying to tread on any characters toes here).

Using a rough Example; Lucina being added purely as a Marth clone I have no issue with, she is relevant, popular and even represents what Fire Emblem is about, however you cannot argue that the same could not have been done with Chrom in her stead. This is not me saying one deserves a spot over the other, all im saying is that this is perhaps an example of a female character being added over a male character for the sake of evenning up the gender representation. Dixie could see herself follow a similar fate by cloning Diddy Kong, and having similar movesets etc, not that I wish for it to happen but with Lucina represented as a clone, it makes the chances more real.

Palutena and Rosalina are breathes of fresh air. Unique characters, relevant to their series and not seeming like they've intruded onto the list of fighters. We need more female characters like that in the Nintendo universe. While Lucina I like having in the cast and if Dixie or Krystal was added i'd have no issues either, I can't help but feel that they are probably pushed (both by the developers and fans) to be included for the sake of inclusion of more girls in the roster.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388

Also, what about Daisy? Could you explain your question in a bit more detail?
Just saying she could be a Peach clone???

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Just saying she could be a Peach clone???
She could be a Peach clone, but this was the same argument used against Rosalina and you see how that turned out. Given her differing personality and range of abilities demonstrated in the Mario Party and Mario Sports games, I feel Daisy would have plenty for a unique move-set and playstyle if she were considered. If you think about it enough, just about any Nintendo character has the capabilities for a unique move-set.

FalcoPaunch!121

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-9681-7388
She could be a Peach clone, but this was the same argument used against Rosalina and you see how that turned out. Given her differing personality and range of abilities demonstrated in the Mario Party and Mario Sports games, I feel Daisy would have plenty for a unique move-set and playstyle if she were considered. If you think about it enough, just about any Nintendo character has the capabilities for a unique move-set.
Except for lucina.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Palutena and Rosalina are breathes of fresh air. Unique characters, relevant to their series and not seeming like they've intruded onto the list of fighters. We need more female characters like that in the Nintendo universe. While Lucina I like having in the cast and if Dixie or Krystal was added i'd have no issues either, I can't help but feel that they are probably pushed (both by the developers and fans) to be included for the sake of inclusion of more girls in the roster.
Dixie would have her moveset, especially using her hairs as whip or propeller. She's important to the DK series: while there isn't really a 4th main character (by main I mean those characters made for representing the 4 players in the main gameplay, and who are also recurring in the games, so villains and NPC are excluded), since cranky kong feels a bit forced into the gameplay, Dixie is the third main character after Diddy, so she's relevant as much as him, maybe a little less. I don't think Dixie would be pushed, if added to the roster. But I do agree about Lucina.
Lucina was requested though, and she represents the new game. Everyone hates me when I say this but I think that the best solution would have been replacing Marth with Lucina, not because she's female, but because she represents the new game and Fire Emblem is a series that introduces lots of new characters each new game, so it's impossible having all of them (without having lots of clones). Lucina represents the agile Fire Emblem swordman (swordgirl, ok), but Marth represents the same thing, one of them should have been removed to me.

Krystal is another thing. She is the only Starfox character who has a strange weapon to fight, that gives her potential for a good moveset. There is andross, but he will never be playable in smash, just like Majora's Mask's moon will never either.
She was requested in the Brawl era, when nobody cared about the amount of male/female characters, and she appeared in Starfox Command; another Starfox game is in development and she will probably appear in that game too.
She would not be "pushed in", she fits more than Rosalina if you ask me.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Except for lucina.
Lucina could also have potentially had a unique move-set. It's just a matter of how she was implemented; intended as a skin.

Furthermore it also depends on whether Sakurai can think of a unique move-set for the character, some characters he might struggle with thinking of anything creative or fitting for whereas fans of those characters have an easier time of it.

mahnamahna

Smash Cadet
I don't disagree, actually. I think the problem is a fundamental issue to games, and not one that Super Smash Bros. should be in charge of changing. Although characters added in Super Smash Bros. bring success to their series, so perhaps female-leaded obscure franchises could be represented to boost their popularity and that might help... But it still would be far from enough. I'm just saying, if Sakurai already loves adding obscure retro characters that haven't appeared in like 25+ years, then perhaps it's not too far off to find female ones. If it's argued to be 'forced' at that point, then I can no longer agree.

Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Takamaru

Until those three are in, I can't see a retro female character being added. Those three are just ridiculously popular and would have the most appeal of any retro, currently. Sakurai shouldn't add a character solely to be PC. Lip could work in SSB5 (once those three above are in), but randomly inserting obscure female characters just to lower the gender divide seems foolish. There's plenty of prominent female characters to add first (Dixie Kong, Krystal, Medusa, Impa, etc) before Sakurai scrapes the barrel for old ones.

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Takamaru

Until those three are in, I can't see a retro female character being added. Those three are just ridiculously popular and would have the most appeal of any retro, currently. Sakurai shouldn't add a character solely to be PC. Lip could work in SSB5 (once those three above are in), but randomly inserting obscure female characters just to lower the gender divide seems foolish. There's plenty of prominent female characters to add first (Dixie Kong, Krystal, Medusa, Impa, etc) before Sakurai scrapes the barrel for old ones.
Is Duck Hunt Dog really that popular? This is all really surprising me.

Anyway, I wouldn't say the chances of female retro addition aren't likely just because those three aren't in. Ice Climbers got in before all of them, and neither of those three were even considered amongst the retro applicants Sakurai considered for Melee. I've heard no mention of Duck Hunt Dog by Sakurai, I believe on Takamaru he's said he'll consider the character if he gets a new game, and from what I remember he does like Mach Rider though likely encountered the same problem as he did when considering Excitebikes.

I wouldn't say going got older characters would be scraping at the barrel, even when it comes to older female characters. The likes of Lip and Hikari (with Donbe) do bring potential for interesting and unique moves as well as unique representation of the puzzle and text adventure genre respectively.

Furthermore, although she is a character that Sakurai couldn't think of enough moves for back at the time, I'd say Bubbles would be a very worthy female candidate (and even though I'm more of a Lip supporter, she is the character I think is most likely as far retro additions go at the moment). Not only does she have potential for a unique move-set and playstyle, but Bubbles is also Nintendo's first female protagonist, even before Samus.

Several characters have been added before the more expected, or what some would consider the more deserving choices. We're still lacking Ridley and King K. Rool, we had to wait until this SSB just to get Little Mac, and it took until the 3rd SSB for King Dedede to be included. We've had 3 Star Fox reps before even a 2nd Metroid or F-Zero rep, and currently have 4 Fire Emblem reps before DK or even Kirby have had a 4th (and in DK's case, it's yet to even have 3). So don't be surprised if it continues to happen.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Takamaru

Isn't Mach Rider Female?

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Takamaru

These two points may actually be contradictory

Souldin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Souldin
3DS FC
4854-6557-6769
Isn't Mach Rider Female?
Possibly. It's never been confirmed to my knowledge, and the implication that Mach Rider is female is not exactly the clearest of things. The character shown in the Mach Rider Vs. game was either Mach Rider or another character.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Takamaru

But the retro character inclusion, in of itself, is already a kind of "out there" thing for Sakurai to do. Regardless of who you might think is 'worthy' of the spot, Sakurai has yet to add a (purely) retro character that the fans were clamoring for. Ice Climbers were out of the left field, and R.O.B. was most certainly not a highly requested character. So the "retro slot" doesn't even have any precedence of being a highly requested or predicted character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Duck Hunt Dog can be a female retro character. She's a b**** for laughing at your shortcomings. :troll:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
So far we have seen Wii Fit Trainer (Female), Peach, Rosalina, Palutena, Samus Aran (Zero Suit Samus), Zelda (Sheik). Female Villager (as one of the Villager's alts), Lucina and Robin (Female Alt).

I'm currently happy with what I have seen for the female characters.

Last edited:

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt Dog
Mach Rider
Takamaru

Duck Hunt Dig isn't very popular, and Mach Rider isn't either. Do you know what immensely popular means?
I generally see way more requests for Lip than for Mach Rider it Hunt Dog. Yes, Takamaru is popular, I'll give you that. Lip would be added for being an obscure retro (like IC's and G&W) not for simply being female. I don't think ANY of the female newcomers made it solely because of their gender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom