• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Smash doesn't need to wedge in minor characters just because they are girls. But rather Nintendo might wanna explore female IP's. Afterall, the Wii really capitalized at branching out their target audience with the Mii's and also by targeting fitness. Then the next Smash might have more of a selection.

But Dixie, Palutena, and maybe on the much smaller side of probability, Lip are contenders.
And if the Mii got in, I am sure they would be customizable or what is the point.
There should be an option for a female Pokemon Trainer and maybe Villager.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Smash Bros. needs more Ranma.

Not as bad as people calling the Fennekin line 'she' all the time.
Can you really blame them? I mean, look at it. Look at Braixen, especially. Even Delphox.

I ended up getting a male and it was somewhat easy to say it was a guy when it was still a Fennekin, but once it became a Braixen, I could only see it as a girl. Well, that or a really cute femboy, but my Gardevoir kind of took that spot. lol

I'd also prefer Medusa. And Ashley over Syrup. Above all, I'd like Dark Samus (who is technically a she), but in addition to Ridley.

All of those feel like pipe dreams now, honestly.
I'd like to just agree to the entirety of this.

This is kind of why, even as a Marth main, I'd rather have Lucina over Marth at this point. It'd basically be a Rule 63 anyway.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There was recently a Nintendo Direct dedicated entirely to Daigasso Band Brothers. Don't know what that is? Its a music game starring Barbara the Bat. Anyway having an entire Nintendo Diect dedicated to her game shows Nintendo cares a lot about her game.

Perhaps she has a chance to go from Assist Trophy to full Character?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Today's image shows that they're willing to do the opposite gender selection of included characters so that opens the floodgates for female Pokemon Trainer and AC Villager. For characters with actual individual stories like Marth/Lucina, we'll have to see.

I ended up getting a male and it was somewhat easy to say it was a guy when it was still a Fennekin, but once it became a Braixen, I could only see it as a girl. Well, that or a really cute femboy, but my Gardevoir kind of took that spot. lol

Once it evolves again it's a bit eaisier as it looks more like a wizard than a witch in a really short skirt.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Once it evolves again it's a bit eaisier as it looks more like a wizard than a witch in a really short skirt.
Nah, I see Delphox as more of a powerful witch in a long shirt since I'm used to seeing tons of those.

Mega Alakazam does better with the wiard motiff. Dat glorious and majestic wizards beard~ <3

Sorry. I just can't see the Fennekin line as anything but female.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Nah, I see Delphox as more of a powerful witch in a long shirt since I'm used to seeing tons of those.

Mega Alakazam does better with the wiard motiff. Dat glorious and majestic wizards beard~ <3

Sorry. I just can't see the Fennekin line as anything but female.
It can be quite ironic that the Fennekin family is 87.5% male, and yet have more feminine characteristics. It probably would've helped if they actually had gender differences, much like how female Alakazam have shorter mustaches than the males.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Today's image shows that they're willing to do the opposite gender selection of included characters so that opens the floodgates for female Pokemon Trainer and AC Villager. For characters with actual individual stories like Marth/Lucina, we'll have to see.

If Pokemon Trainer is still called 'Pokemon Trainer' rather than 'Red' (i.e. regarded as an avatar rather than an actual character) then I'd love to see 'Leaf' as his 'alternate costume'.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Today's image shows that they're willing to do the opposite gender selection of included characters so that opens the floodgates for female Pokemon Trainer and AC Villager.
Moreover, if we don't get Leaf and a female AC Villager, it shows that they are willing to open the floodgate only for male alternates of included characters (where it is relative).

Just saying. That's why I will be mad now if I don't see Leaf and a female villager. I do not care about female representation beyond that, because I do not believe that characters should be added by their gender. But when the character is an "avatar", like the Wii Fit Trainer, Pokemon Trainer, and Villager, having a male version, but not a female version bothers me.

If Pokemon Trainer is still called 'Pokemon Trainer' rather than 'Red' (i.e. regarded as an avatar rather than an actual character) then I'd love to see 'Leaf' as his 'alternate costume'.
Why would they change the name?

Because if they did and people started using that as an excuse for Leaf not being included... You would see me mad. lol

loganhogan

Smash Ace

You know who I want? Pauline. Put her under Peach give her a mini mario instead of Toad and make her pull minis instead of turnips. The reason I pick Pauline is because she looks different from the rest of the female cast, and she's also one of the first feminine figure of Nintendo games so to speak. Of course she may look too different and her dress could be too different from Peach so its more likely they would pick Daisy or Rosalina because they are much more similar to Peach.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well a certain Mario Princess seems to be pretty popular at Nintendo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well a certain Mario Princess seems to be pretty popular at Nintendo.
Holy crap was I on the money or what?

Now we've got four female fighters: Peach, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina. Gender rep is looking better in this game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It wouldn't take much for it to be better than what Brawl contributed. :smirk:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It wouldn't take much for it to be better than what Brawl contributed. :smirk:

What does that mean? You talking Zero Suit Smaus?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Holy crap was I on the money or what?

Now we've got four female fighters: Peach, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina. Gener rep is looking better in this game.

Forgetting Nana?

EDIT: Nevermind, could have sworn IC's had been revealed already.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Impa, Dixie, Palutena.

Think this is likely, and more than enough female representation.

Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina are already newcomers. That means 5 total female new fighters.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Out of all the possible Mario newcomers, Sakurai picks another princess. Already, 4 has Brawl beat with female newcomers (admittedly, Wii Fit Trainer looks to come a Hii Fit Trainer as well). But still.

Impa, Dixie, Palutena.

Think this is likely, and more than enough female representation.

Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina are already newcomers. That means 5 total female new fighters.
Don't put Impa in with the other two. Doesn't make sense to. Sheik was already made female in Brawl. Unless you are talking about a separate Impa character. In which case I don't think that will happen.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I don't believe Rosalina was ever referred to as a Princess in the Mario games.... I could be wrong though.... :/
I had to confirm it on the wiki, but:
Galaxy Bio:
"Not much is known about Rosalina, the lonely princess who wanders the cosmos in the Comet Observatory, a giant starship that travels the celestial expanse. She is a great friend of the Luma, taking them in and caring for them as if they were her children. But there is a sadness behind her eyes. What has she lost out among the stars?"|

I remember her being referred to as a lonely princess.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I had to confirm it on the wiki, but:
Galaxy Bio:
"Not much is known about Rosalina, the lonely princess who wanders the cosmos in the Comet Observatory, a giant starship that travels the celestial expanse. She is a great friend of the Luma, taking them in and caring for them as if they were her children. But there is a sadness behind her eyes. What has she lost out among the stars?"|

I remember her being referred to as a lonely princess.
Oh I see, I never knew they officially called her a Princess before. I thought she was just a guardian who watches over and protects the cosmos and all...

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Well I keep seeing all this support for the inclusion of more female characters. Why? Characters should be based off their impact on a franchise or just Nintendo in general. People are making requests that shouldn't ever happen. Requests for Daisy? Why? Peach is super iconic because of the mario series so her getting in is inevitable but her moveset is stupid. Seriously, Toad? A fryingpan? That stupid butt dash thing? Its the most ridiculous moveset they could have made. And Daisy would be even worse, not to mention she is a side character who has hardly any relevance. People want Dixie Kong, ok so she was in some of the DKC games, what about K.Rool? the main villain of the series would be much more deserving of a third DKC rep then her. Not to mention DKC isn't a big franchise so adding more reps is going to be tougher. While on the topic of smaller franchises, Krystal. She made 3 appearances in the star fox series which already is a small series. The fact that Star Fox had 3 reps in Brawl absolutely blew my mind. If they get a 4th that would be awful considering how the Zelda franchise, which is much bigger, only has 3. I am not against female inclusion, but they should be characters that are iconic to the series and make a lasting mark on the players. When you say Mario, people think of the brothers fighting Bowser with Peach over his shoulder. Mention DK you probably get a thought of DK and Diddy going around together. Better female inclusions would be Lyn or a different fire emblem female, Mia from golden sun, or Medusa from KI. Discuss why certain female characters should or shouldn't be in the game. Or other good contenders that I skipped over.

Also reasoning for Medussa over Palutena. Well KI only has a few games, I feel it would be better to have a main antagonist to counter Pit rather then another protagonist.
I don't think that you should have females in this game just to have them but the characters in this game don't need to be iconic. Not all of them. Like, when was Captain Falcon relevant before this game? How many Amercan kids new about fire emblem. Dude, G&W? Most of the charactets in Smash are iconic but some franchises represented are obscure and get Smash bros. Actually puts them on the map. It actually a good way to promote their games.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I just want Lip and Palutena and would least care for the others. Flower Fairy and Goddess of Light > Blue Furry and Monkey Girl. :smirk:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Here's a complete list of possible competitiors for being female Smash reps:

Mona, Palutena, Medusa, Daisy, Krystal, Birdo?, Viridi, Captain Syrup, Ashley, Bubbles, Fiora, Kanaan (Calista), Sami, Freia, Toon Zelda/Tetra, Ayumi Tachibana, various Pokemon Trainers, Dixie Kong, Dark Samus?, Adeliene, that new Captain from Pikmin 3, Paula, Kumatora, Lyn, Micaiah, Eirika, Mokka, Lip, Starly, Midna, & Ashley Robbins.
sakurai read this list and chose the two characters you left out

superb

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Rosalina in. Dixie and Palutena are most likely female newcomers now. There doesn't NEED to be new female reps, but people appreciate having female options as long as they're important.

BitingBaker

Smash Rookie
Take out Falco or Wolf and add Krystal. We need characters with NEW fighting styles. She won't use a gun and she'd fight with her staff. She's perfect. ;o

I'm sick of the people who call fans of hers "furries". If you're a furry for wanting Krystal then you're a furry for wanting anyone else from Starfox. There are a TON of people who sexualize Fox and make hentai of him as well, so that point is BEYOND invalid.

People need to stop being perverts and just look at the potential fighting capabilities of the characters. Krystal is obviously the best Starfox character for SSB. Falco is a good character, but he's a CLONE. Wolf isn't a clone, but he's too close to the same with his gun, deflect, and the way he moves. Wolf is my favourite character on Brawl but I'd give him up in a heartbeat for Krystal. We need NEW fighting styles.

I'd be upset if Dixie Kong made it in. Donkey Kong is the least interesting brawler and Diddy was just annoying. We don't need any more Kongs...please. If you they add ANYONE it should be King K.Rool or someone else from the franchise.

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
Take out Falco or Wolf and add Krystal. We need characters with NEW fighting styles. She won't use a gun and she'd fight with her staff. She's perfect. ;o

I'm sick of the people who call fans of hers "furries". If you're a furry for wanting Krystal then you're a furry for wanting anyone else from Starfox. There are a TON of people who sexualize Fox and make hentai of him as well, so that point is BEYOND invalid.

People need to stop being perverts and just look at the potential fighting capabilities of the characters. Krystal is obviously the best Starfox character for SSB. Falco is a good character, but he's a CLONE. Wolf isn't a clone, but he's too close to the same with his gun, deflect, and the way he moves. Wolf is my favourite character on Brawl but I'd give him up in a heartbeat for Krystal. We need NEW fighting styles.
Krystal is a dumb character, from a bad game. (imo)

If they're going to add anybody from star fox they should add leon.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As I've said many times.

Krystal is cool. And to be honest, a lot of people think that.

Most people just don't want to lose Falco and/or Wolf. I'm in the same boat.

Reznor

work in progress
As I've said many times.

Krystal is cool. And to be honest, a lot of people think that.

Most people just don't want to lose Falco and/or Wolf. I'm in the same boat.
a lot of people like myself hate her because she represents the fall of the Star Fox franchise and yes it might not be Krystal's fault her game sucked but what ever it's easy to blame her :cool:
also when people here Krystal they think of her awful fanbase

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
a lot of people like myself hate her because she represents the fall of the Star Fox franchise and yes it might not be Krystal's fault her game sucked but what ever it's easy to blame her :cool:
That's like blaming Other M's problems on Adam or Anthony instead of actually blaming the problems...

Like blaming the president for something congress got by.

You're just finding a scapegoat.

That's not something to brag about.

Stereotypes don't get you very far.

Reznor

work in progress
That's like blaming Other M's problems on Adam or Anthony instead of actually blaming the problems...

Like blaming the president for something congress got by.

You're just finding a scapegoat.

That's not something to brag about.
hate doesn't always make sense :grin:

Stereotypes don't get you very far.
yup it's stereotyping not gonna lie

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well we've gotten Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina so now it's possible to have a 4 player game with 4 different female characters in Smash 4. YOu could do it previously in Brawl and Melee but one player would've been Jigglypuff or one of the alt formes (Zamus/Sheik). I'm hoping that Zelda will return soon.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
It would be more appropriate to blame Star Fox/Miyamoto for Krystal's downfall.

She was originally going to be the protagonist of Dinosaur Planet (and less sexualized), when Miyamoto suggested they make it a Star Fox game. Then they made her a damsel in distress and put Fox in instead and totally revamped the game. It probably would've been better for Dinosaur Planet to be judged on its own merits and if they had not wasted the effort to convert it into a Star Fox game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

She was originally going to be the protagonist of Dinosaur Planet (and less sexualized), when Miyamoto suggested they make it a Star Fox game. Then they made her a damsel in distress and put Fox in instead and totally revamped the game. It probably would've been better for Dinosaur Planet to be judged on its own merits and if they had not wasted the effort to convert it into a Star Fox game.

True but then again, if that happened she'd be a Microsoft character and look what they did to poor Banjo and Conker.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Who knows. Maybe if it had been more successful, they wouldn't have ended up belonging to Microsoft...

God Microsoft ****ed Rare over. Why did they bother buying them?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A lot of Krystal supporters don't voice their support because people tend to be ***** to Krystal supporters. She does have a legitimate "hatebase" but a large part of the hate against her is people just going along for the ride. Like Swampy said, she's a scapegoat, and c'mon, she's not that bad. Obviously there are better, more likely choices, but Krystal, as a character herself, not the games she was in, but her... she's not some horrible abomination like some make her out to be. In Command she was kind of terrible, but then again, Command was kind of terrible. :laugh: (Lots of characters in that game were one-dimensional and their stereotype and stock archetype levels all got kicked up)

People who say she's "disgusting" are obviously reading too deep into her, which is the exact same thing they condemn people who find her attractive for. But guess what, she was consciously designed to be attractive.

Oh and people who blame her for the downfall of the SF series must be under the assumption without her Assault and Command would somehow have better quality of gameplay overall. lol
And the only one to blame for Adventures (which is still a good game, just not a SF game) is Miyamoto.

I guess this might be a better fit for the Krystal thread... maybe I'll post it there too.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

The change would've been more forgivable IMO if Adventures hadn't been the last Nintendo game by Rare. In a sequel I reckon Rare would've given Krystal some more interesting gameplay than what she had in SF Assault or Command.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom