• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash bros needs more girls? Why

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't use Miiverse as a barometer for logical or plausible suggestions though. They do indicate casual popularity decently and they don't have the Krystal stigma to deal with (which is telling towards her more true popularity - which is higher than this place makes it seem), but honestly people are better off ignoring what they demand, as I'm sure Sakurai does.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
There is currently 4 female characters so far, Princess Peach, Wii Fit Trainer, Samus Aran and Rosalina.

Zelda is very likely to be in there too and I'm hoping that Palutena can make it in there as well.

nessokman

Smash Lord
I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to having four person lesbian pride matches with all of my friends.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The likely females to come are in no particular order

Zelda/Sheik
Zero Suit Samus
Palutena
Dixie Kong
Krystal

Looks like gender balance is being tilted slightly back towards neutral. Now I wonder what the villain balance is doing...

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think the chance of a female FE newcomer is underrated. Micaiah (who would offer the most unique moveset out of any FE newcomer), Lucina (the more popular of the two lords in Awakening among FE fans), and a female Robin (the real point of view character of Awakening). Additionally Robin could be both genders, and have one of the genders as an alternate.
Additionally, Lucina and Robin could be represented as a pair along with Chrom (either Chrom and Lucina, or Chrom and Robin).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think the chance of a female FE newcomer is underrated. Micaiah (who would offer the most unique moveset out of any FE newcomer), Lucina (the more popular of the two lords in Awakening among FE fans), and a female Robin (the real point of view character of Awakening). Additionally Robin could be both genders, and have one of the genders as an alternate.
Additionally, Lucina and Robin could be represented as a pair along with Chrom (either Chrom and Lucina, or Chrom and Robin).

Don't forget Lyn and Anna.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Dixie and Palutena are the only 2 females i see with a strong shot atm. everyone else, like say Lucina or Krystal, aren't necesarily out of the running. but i dont see them being added b4 Dixie and Palutena.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
What about Jiggly? Jiggly in smash is supposed to be female right?

It's safe to assume that based off its alternate costumes, yes, lol. I also believe that Brawl's Ivysaur is female as well. It uses its female voice in the Japanese version.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think all the playable pokemon in smash are unspecific about gender aside from Mewtwo, who is genderless. They all are visualized with the male forms, aside from jigglypuff, who has the female color as her default. This has to do with most of the official art for pokemon games have the pokemon in their male forms. I hope for SSB4 they allow the female form in some of their alternate costumes (I feel like Jiigglypuff actually changes color in one of her costumes).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dixie and Palutena are the only 2 females i see with a strong shot atm. everyone else, like say Lucina or Krystal, aren't necesarily out of the running. but i dont see them being added b4 Dixie and Palutena.
People didn't see Rosalina being added before those two either. :smirk:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
People didn't see Rosalina being added before those two either. :smirk:
i did. sure she wasnt my first choice for a Mario character, nor was she for a new female, but she was far more likely and deserving than many of the other females suggested outside of the 2 i stated earlier

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I am starting to think Sakurai might be listening.
Yeah man, he included Zelda solely because of your demand on a smash bros forums for more girls. She wasn't a lock or anything.

The idea of adding female characters just for the sake of having more female characters is repulsive.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I didn't see IsmaR specify who Sakurai was listening to. There has been a general demand for more female characters from many many places, and there is the possibility Sakurai is listening.

It's not that confusing...

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
You guys are right, I am wrong. He's listening to demand for more female characters. Sakurai has been known to listen to his fans, especially the American ones

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
You guys are right, I am wrong. He's listening to demand for more female characters. Sakurai has been known to listen to his fans, especially the American ones
The strong headedness in this one is strong.

IsmaR never said Sakurai was listening to us, just that he could be. Have you ever considered that Japan might have wanted more female characters too?? We may live on the other side of the planet, but that doesn't mean we don't want similar things.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The strong headedness in this one is strong.

Ismar never said Sakurai was listening to us, just that he could be. Have you ever considered that Japan might have wanted more female characters too?? We may leave on the other side of the planet, but that doesn't mean we can't want similar things.
Japan also wanted Geno and Ridley playable.

When he does something, its rarely because of fan demand, outside of maybe Sonic's inclusion. Smash Bros is his baby and he does whatever the hell he wants with it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Got your facts wrong there.

When he does something, its rarely because of fan demand, outside of maybe Sonic's inclusion. Smash Bros is his baby and he does whatever the hell he wants with it.
Well he did state that half the initial wave of characters in Melee was due to popularity from the poll which was composed of demands by... fans! Plus then you've got characters like Pit and Mega Man where popularity was stated as a factor towards their inclusion, and those are just the cases he's told us about.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
I'll never understand smash fans' undying need to feel like their opinions or what they support actually matters for crap.

Point is, he leaves out some of the most heavily demanded characters worldwide and adds in people no one asks for such as ROB and Wiifit. He added Pit because he was his own creation. He specifically said he added Wiifit trainer because he never heard anyone ask for her. He added snake because a single man asked him to. Remember when Skull Kid won that poll? How did that work out for him? Though I'm sure you'll say that poll didn't matter. Forums clearly matter though

masterluigi1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2621-2623-2545

Maybe it's not from fan demand, maybe it's just because he wants it himself. we don't know but the fact still remains is that he is putting in many females.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll never understand smash fans' undying need to feel like their opinions or what they support actually matters for crap.

Point is, he leaves out some of the most heavily demanded characters worldwide and adds in people no one asks for such as ROB and Wiifit. He added Pit because he was his own creation. He specifically said he added Wiifit trainer because he never heard anyone ask for her. He added snake because a single man asked him to. Remember when Skull Kid won that poll? How did that work out for him? Though I'm sure you'll say that poll didn't matter. Forums clearly matter though
Have you still not come down from that trolling spree like two years ago?

Sakurai creating Pit? Forums mattering? Japan wanting Ridley?

Think (or pretend to think) what you want. :rolleyes:

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
Got your facts wrong there.
Ridley is deconfirmed.

Well he did state that half the initial wave of characters in Melee was due to popularity from the poll which was composed of demands by... fans! Plus then you've got characters like Pit and Mega Man where popularity was stated as a factor towards their inclusion, and those are just the cases he's told us about.

It is the Summer of 2012. The Smash Bros community is taken by storm as a poll is being made that will determine who the most wanted in the English speaking world. After 345 000 votes, Skullkid is chosen as the most wanted character. The poll results will be forwarded to Sakurai. We did it!

Oh, wait, no we didn't

What I don't understand is the "We matter" complex on websites like this. There are no super secret Nintendo field agents combing the internet looking for the character support threads with the most posts. Especially this website, which is entirely competitive-oriented, which they hate.

Your opinion has no input on the development of the game. Neither does mine. If you want to have any say, you have to be a famous Japanese guy like Kojima, who wanted Snake in the game for his kid, or Sakurai's boss. Sakurai specifically said that not one person asked him to make Wii-fit trainer a character and he made her one in spite of that.

If you honestly truly think that our input matters, find me a fan-made roster from the pre-Brawl days that included ROB, or Wolf, or a Pokemon Trainer with Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Plus then you've got characters like Pit
You're delusional if you think Pit was at all popular before they put him in Brawl.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Ridley is deconfirmed.
Prove it.

It is the Summer of 2012. The Smash Bros community is taken by storm as a poll is being made that will determine who the most wanted in the English speaking world. After 345 000 votes, Skullkid is chosen as the most wanted character. The poll results will be forwarded to Sakurai. We did it!

Oh, wait, no we didn't

What I don't understand is the "We matter" complex on websites like this. There are no super secret Nintendo field agents combing the internet looking for the character support threads with the most posts. Especially this website, which is entirely competitive-oriented, which they hate.

Your opinion has no input on the development of the game. Neither does mine. If you want to have any say, you have to be a famous Japanese guy like Kojima, who wanted Snake in the game for his kid, or Sakurai's boss. Sakurai specifically said that not one person asked him to make Wii-fit trainer a character and he made her one in spite of that.

If you honestly truly think that our input matters, find me a fan-made roster from the pre-Brawl days that included ROB, or Wolf, or a Pokemon Trainer with Charizard, Squirtle and Ivysaur.
Official poll =/= single fan poll result tweeted to Sakurai

Sakurai has stated characters have been included due to where they placed on his Melee and Brawl polls. The polls were taken by fans. Fan demand has caused some characters to be included. This is fact. Can't much argue with it, though good try. I guess.

You're delusional if you think Pit was at all popular before they put him in Brawl.
No, I don't. But Sakurai did. At least for retros. That was part of his reasoning for including him.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Wow, assholes have come out of the woodwork. Are they seeing entitlement ghosts where we can't?

Let's be cool here people and wait for Sheik and Zamus.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So based on Sakurai's comment on Miiverse, I guess he does somewhat care about the number of females in the roster.
Aye, somewhat. I wouldn't place too much significance on it, though. He seems to just be pleased with the additions as a neat side-effect, not anywhere near being the primary reason for the choices he made.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Sakurai on Miiverse:
Pic of the day. To celebrate the launch of The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds in Japan, Zelda joins the battle!! It's great to see so many female characters this time around.

It's good to see he recognizes that more female characters add to the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom