• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Melee was "too difficult" - New Sakurai Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
its true tho. Its like, if youre wrong about something smashers will be sacastic while srkers will be like "youre a ignorant *******, players who arent good at this game shouldnt be able to post about ****. make it out of pools before you express your opinions scrub".

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
^^Borderline.

Makes me so glad that mango beat his butt.

Ladies, let's cut the crap and think about ways at how this logic will mess up SSB4.

I can imagine a FFA stock match, where Marth and Fox are the only ones remaining, and when Fox gets KO'd, the victory screen has all the characters doing their victory poses then the announcer says:

"The winner is......... ALL"

D

Deleted member

I love/hate when people use this kind of ridiculous argument.

[sarcasm]

I saw a couple of good players beat players better than them by stalling/camping, therefore stalling/camping is the dominant strategy in the game.

I once played against Mango, only used falcon punch, and won the match. This other scrub did the same thing against M2K and Hbox. Therefore, spamming falcon punch is the dominant strategy in Melee, freaking brilliant isn't it? Surely it can't be that those particular people don't know how to handle my all falcon punch strategy. Let's ignore the fact that I got ***** by (insert list of 100 good players here).

[/Sarcasm]

The reason why pink shinobi and tero won those matches is because they used a tactic which their opponent did not know how to beat, durrrrr.

None Shall Pass

Smash Apprentice
ITT:

Brawl players dislike how Melee players generalize their game. Yet, they do the complete same.

Sakurai, the actual developer, admits it was simplified because it would attract a larger audience and was more accessible. In turn, profit.

Brawl players really have no justifiable excuse to insult Melee. Go play your game, and leave us alone about ours.

Could expand and clarify more, but this is already opening a big enough can of worms. But it had to be said.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
@ puu: LOL thats not going to stop blackmantis from using the same tired argument over an over

I can imagine a FFA stock match, where Marth and Fox are the only ones remaining, and when Fox gets KO'd, the victory screen has all the characters doing their victory poses then the announcer says:

"The winner is......... ALL"
Dear God, help us

D

Deleted member

It was just a question about stalling. I just wanted clarification.

Also, puu I never tried to even imply that it was the dominate strategy. Thanks for taking what I put way out of context.

Looks like I know what melee stalling is now.
Ok, then why were you asking about a bunch of videos in which people were stalling, in a thread which has, lets face it, degenerated to Brawl vs. Melee.

It's easy to claim that I inferred too much into what you were saying, but if you weren't trying to make a statement about stalling in Melee, why did you bring up videos of stalling in Melee?

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
~Completely Random Post that will be ignored~

Brawl is slower, not combo oriented, has tripping and lacks balance. That's all the bad things I can say about Brawl, and I respect if people don't like because of that. I just don't like the dumb generalizations, stated by both sides. See, even if Melee is the better game competitively, that doesn't mean Brawl can't be fun or competitive. But *you* don't like it, so it must suck. Same with the anti-Melee comments. Whatever, I'll keep playing and loving the 3 games while you keep arguing.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Ok, then why were you asking about a bunch of videos in which people were stalling, in a thread which has, lets face it, degenerated to Brawl vs. Melee.

It's easy to claim that I inferred too much into what you were saying, but if you weren't trying to make a statement about stalling in Melee, why did you bring up videos of stalling in Melee?
Because I wad curious to know what qualified as stalling I'm general. It sucks that this thread has spiraled into a brawl vs melee issue. My question has been answered though.

D

Deleted member

Because I wad curious to know what qualified as stalling I'm general. It sucks that this thread has spiraled into a brawl vs melee issue. My question has been answered though.
Oh ok. If you didn't mean anything by it then there's no argument here. Seems like an odd question to put in a "Brawl vs. Melee" thread though. I'm sure you can see why I inferred a lot from it.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Also, this is the ssf4 tier list as of august 2010

A: Guile, Akuma, Dictator, Chun-Li, Cammy, Abel, Rufus, Boxer, E. Honda
B: Ryu, Dhalsim, Viper, Rose, Seth, Sagat, Zangief, Ibuki, Juri, Dudley, Blanka, Adon, Fei-Long
C: El Fuerte, Ken, Guy, DeeJay, Claw, T. Hawk, Cody
D: Gouken, Gen, Hakan, Makoto, Dan, Sakura

lol why am I bringing up street fighter stuff to prove my point?

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
I hope none of you still think Kirby's Epic Yarn was a great game.
Kirby's Epic Yarn is a great game. It's just easy. Like practically every Kirby game to date, including the very first one which was released when Nintendo was ~hardcore~. It doesn't mean it's not a polished, fun, well designed game.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Kirby's Epic Yarn is a great game. It's just easy. Like practically every Kirby game to date, including the very first one which was released when Nintendo was ~hardcore~. It doesn't mean it's not a polished, fun, well designed game.
Kthanks.

I don't want to debate this here, nor debate it in general...

BEES

Smash Lord
Except the fact that you overrate it. ^_^

To be honest the idea of SSB4 being worse in you guys' eyes is inevitable. Nintendo does nothing but put out casual stuff now. I hope none of you still think Kirby's Epic Yarn was a great game.
Casual stuff now? NOW? Nintendo has always put out casual stuff. They were never interested in being a hardcore game developer, at least outside of Japan. Nothing has changed.

If there were another company making Smash Bros style fighting games, I'd switch. Unfortunately nothing else comes anywhere remotely close.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
But did I say it was the most dominate strategy?
According to you:

being overly defensive in melee is just as powerful in Brawl.
and EVERYONE knows that being overly defensive IS the dominant strategy in brawl. Ergo:

I never tried to even imply that it was the dominate strategy. Thanks for taking what I put way out of context.
You DID infact try to imply that being overly defensive in Melee was the dominant strategy, because it is in brawl, and you equate the two as being equally powerful

so to answer your question:

But did I say it was the most dominate strategy?
Yes you did, and you are simply wrong.

I don't care for your street fighter analogies :awesome:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Technically...he didn't say that it was the most dominant strategy.

Being equally powerful to brawl is not enough to make that conclusion, because it doesn't take into account the power of being offensive in each game (in which case melee clearly outclasses brawl). Ergo, the stronger offense counterbalances the still powerful defense, creating something closer to an equilibrium, where style is more player/matchup dependent, rather than an overall superior tactic.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Technically...he didn't say that it was the most dominant strategy.

Being equally powerful to brawl is not enough to make that conclusion, because it doesn't take into account the power of being offensive in each game (in which case melee clearly outclasses brawl). Ergo, the stronger offense counterbalances the still powerful defense, creating something closer to an equilibrium, where style is more player/matchup dependent, rather than an overall superior tactic.
yeah i was getting ready to put this but thanks anyway

BEES

Smash Lord
well, as a person who goes to srk everyday, they dont seem to hate melee anymore. They say THE game IS deep and all but they still say its a not a fg, but thats never going to change.
It will change if someone other than Nintendo makes fighting games with a similar system. Until then, Smash Bros will seem like an oddity in a genre where every other game has meters, super moves, and walls.

It is pretty silly. The difference between 2D and 3D fighters is greater than the difference between Smash Bros and other 2D fighters.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Why don't they just call it a platform action game/platform fighter? Would that ease them and make it obvious that it isn't traditional?

Thanks for that post Dark Sonic.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
It is pretty silly. The difference between 2D and 3D fighters is greater than the difference between Smash Bros and other 2D fighters.
I disagree. At least 2d and 3d fighters share the same basic combo and health systems, which is really the staple of the traditional fighting genre.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Except the fact that you overrate it. ^_^

To be honest the idea of SSB4 being worse in you guys' eyes is inevitable. Nintendo does nothing but put out casual stuff now. I hope none of you still think Kirby's Epic Yarn was a great game.
Nintendo has always appealed to different gamers. You can say that they're appealing to more casual players, but that was really all Nintendo could do to survive. I'm willing to say that they make games for the "core players". Looking at the traditional franchises in recent years:

1. Mario - NSMB Wii is hard as balls like every other 2D Mario platformer. Galaxy got Nintendo to finally do orchestrated music (save for Starfox Assault, but that was Namco) and was very much an enjoyable game. Galaxy 2 was an expansion on Galaxy's concepts while upping the difficulty, particulary in the later levels. I haven't cursed at a game like at Galaxy 2 in forever.

2. Zelda - IIRC, TP was to give the core players a more OOT experience. The DS games have proven to have quite the difficulty with its puzzles and Skyward Sword looks like it's going to make fights more strategic.

3. Metroid - Say what you want about Other M, but this game had high production values, not something that you can normally tell in a Nintendo game.

4. Donkey Kong - Nintendo got Retro to revive Donkey Kong and I hear the newest one is rather tough.

I don't think our problem in terms of easy gaming is with Nintendo as a whole when it comes to games (other than we lack a good online system). I think our problem is with Sakurai himself, an individual with a contradictory philosophy on multiplayer play. Come to think of it, anyone ever noticed that Galaxy 2 gradually increased its difficulty as you got further in the game? THAT is how you should design a game.

I don't know why I posted this.

Nintendo's learning from their mistakes. Sakurai refuses to because of selfish pride or whatever. All we need to happen is for someone to convince Iwata to not Let Sakurai get involved in anything for Smash 4. Melee 2 will happen if that happens

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nintendo's learning from their mistakes. Sakurai refuses to because of selfish pride or whatever. All we need to happen is for someone to convince Iwata to not Let Sakurai get involved in anything for Smash 4. Melee 2 will happen if that happens
Sakurai, to me, is a competitive communist (not sure if best term). I don't mind Sakurai returning for future titles, but he needs to controlled as to what he can and can't do. Someone else needs to be on board as well.

Why don't they just call it a platform action game/platform fighter? Would that ease them and make it obvious that it isn't traditional?

Thanks for that post Dark Sonic.
Platform Fighter is what I think it's the best description. It's not an old school 2D Fighter ala Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter, and it's definitely not a 3D fighter like Tekken or Virtua Fighter. It created its own genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom