• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros. Melee was "too difficult" - New Sakurai Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
This quote right here is why I cant even talk to brawl players.
Most are new to the community and blind about melee
"oh its all combos and no thinking dur dur"

what you dont get is the melee community GAVE BRAWL A CHANCE
we played it, some got good, but we all realized how much it sucked

what about you brawl players huh? Ally you played it at a, and i quote, casual level. Play it in depth and you'll probably see that its better than brawl.

Heck look at fiction
Don't sort all brawl players into this equation man. I'm a brawl player and I love playing melee way more than brawl because it's more exciting than brawl and I love how deep it is and the speed it offers unlike brawl.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Hax.

Anyway, SSB4 is likely gooing to be of low quality even when compared to Brawl so Melee/64 forever.

To change the topic, what may have caused Sakurai to think having accessibility and depth are mutually exclusive?

To change the topic, what may have caused Sakurai to think having accessibility and depth are mutually exclusive?
A friend told me a story one day and he says it's true

Basically,
Sakurai sends his son to play at a video game convention for Brawl
Sakurai's son gets owned
Sakurai's son asks daddy to make Brawl easier to play so his son would suck less
Sakurai answers his request

I think that's somewhat how it goes?

I found it

IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One day, Sakurai's 11-year-old son wanted his father to create him a new Super Smash Bros. game because he would get prison-***** in Melee. Sakurai agreed and began the development of Brawl. Sakurai's son supervised the development of the game and made sure it was just the way he wanted it to be; he even wrote a storyline for the single player mode (a fan fiction he had been working so diligently on). Sakurai did so and eventually released a demo for those lucky enough to attend an expo. The players marveled at this new game and were delighted to see the return of advanced techniques that gave them advantages over unskilled players. Sakurai's son was on the demo all day getting savagely beaten by everyone else. That night, Sakurai's son came to his father weeping, "Everyone is too good! I can never win! Make it easier so I can win too!" His father made it so. Brawl was released without any advanced techniques that were present in Melee. Good job Sakurai, you ruined the game by being your hypothetical 11-year-old son's *****.

Now we have a few brave hackers, willing to repair the damage Sakurai had done to Brawl.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO IMO

Anyways, my friend and I have been playing with this a lot. We call it "Melee 0.5". Excellent job of correcting Sakurai's mistakes.

P.S. - Grammar-***s and "Pure"-Brawl-***s can **** right off.
P.P.S. - Spontaneous post ends here.

Melomaniacal

Smash Champion
I forget, but weren't there some ATs at the first couple at demos of Brawl? I think I remember hearing that l-canceling was in at one point. Could be my brain playing tricks on me.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I can't even talk with Melee players, too ******** to understand the meaning of my explaination. I play melee, even if Kage is sandbagging or not, I took games off him and combo'ing with Falco takes no brain. Don't start with the Brawl player capability I played this game for 7 years casual with my friends and watched all of MLGs/Nationals tourneys videos. Brawl takes more patient and you have to play smarter. If you don't agreed, then you just got some Melee pride going in and out your ***. I'm done.

-Very Mad Ally.
Yes because mindlessly comboing a sandbagging ganondorf with one of his worst mus with one of the most combo heavy chars in the game = melee. Nice job ally, sum melee up by one of the easiest char to combo with one of the most combo heavy char. Sorry ally but this is probably the dumbest post ive ever seen from you ever. Play mango and try to mindlessly combo him and watch him sdi out of all of your combos and **** you.

And casually =/= knowing what it takes to play at at high level apparently.

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
why is sakurai aiming for casaul gamers for the money? they should keep making it hardcore not taking off combos and wavedashing what`s next short hopping and spacing. seriously casual gamers dont care as long as they can fight there friends and have fun. the next ssb should take everthing good about brawl and melee because casual dont care but we do honestly if they dumb it down even more (not saying anything about brawl) then there going to lose selles or at least loose a fanbase =(

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
And i forgot to mention that Falco IS the most brainless char and melee and we all know that but that didnt stop you from basing youre entire opinion off of that one char. Lemme go play brawl and learn how to time out everyone with mk or learn how to just cg everyone with ics and just say that everyone in brawl times out and mindlessly cgs. Oh but if i said that i would be a *******, stereotyping scrub but since ally said it its not too much of a problem.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
SSB4 you press start, choose a stage, and it goes straight to the results screen, to avoid the frustrations that arise during the match.

And it's always a tie.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Like that doesnt happen 8 times more in brawl and it isnt easier. Come on mayne. Pink shinobi did it ONCE. Teros plays gay with puff (who he doesnt even main). How many sonics time out to win? Thats what i thought. Your game actually has a char with its best stratagy based around stalling.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Like that doesnt happen 8 times more in brawl and it isnt easier. Come on mayne. Pink shinobi did it ONCE. Teros plays gay with puff (who he doesnt even main). How many sonics time out to win? Thats what i thought. Your game actually has a char with its best stratagy based around stalling.
Pinkshinobi's done it more than once. He did it to mango.

But the point is that being overly defensive in melee is just as powerful in Brawl.

lol @ timing out Mango

good joke bro

Mango wrecked his ****, with Sheik nonetheless

and it really isn't

it only happens on janky stages with ****ty characters, like KJ64 and Ganondorf.

or Puff vs. someone who doesn't know how to play against Puff

neither of these should factor into "how easy it is to time out" because they are nott the metagame. they are isolated incidences

I ninja-edited my post.

And I would think a Brwal player would know the difference between stalling and playing defensively

and I don't even know which game you are referring to. Pink Shinbi and Mango played last around 2 years ago and I don't remember any game coming close to being timed out.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
ROFL at Mad Ally's posts.

Tell me good sir, what does Brawl have that Melee doesn't have? Outside of footstools, tripping, and knockback decay, there aren't new and exciting new features inherent in the core game. Hell, two of those things are major drawbacks to the game itself. Aside from that, many of the deep and complex features from melee have been removed for the sake of removing them.

So how does this make Brawl like chess? Why is it that just because the game is slower it means that you have to be more "patient?" Where in the definition of patience do you find that it is slow, or slower? There is no logical sense behind your position. Playing faster /= with less thought. I'd argue that you are playing with more thought, because while there is less thought behind each individual action, you are making way more decisions, that are incredibly crucial mind you, in less time.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
He didn't time him out but he did do what could be seen as stalling.

Also, you can't call them isolated incidents. They were played under average melee tournament settings. What makes them less legitimate?
because its more viable in brawl due to being able to do it on a wider variety of stages and with a wider selection of characters. Youre not stupid 313, you know this, i know this. You just have to give up this "melee is just as defensive as brawl" arguement because it just isnt true at all.

They are isolated incidences because

1. They happen rarely.
2. KJ64 is not a legal stage.
3. Ganondorf ****ing sucks.

It would be like MK timing Ganondorf on Icicle Mountain, essentially.

And of course a Brawl player wouldn't know the difference between defensive play and stalling...

All stalling is defensive play, not all defensive play is stalling. doopdoop

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't see how anyone can compare Melee's defensive game to Brawl's. As a Falco main, I've found that the harder I try to play *** and just laser all the time, the worse I do. The reason being is because in Melee when you play defensively you can tack on a good amount of damage, but once they finally get their hands on you you get wrecked in a huge 0-death combo. At my first few tournaments I would just laser spam and run away because I thought I could avoid confrontation, but I've found out I'm much better off just leading into combos from lasers instead of trying to win with just lasers. The reason this doesn't happen in Brawl is because you can't punish people who play defensively. They have a safe way of grabbing the ledge and getting out of comboes with basically no risk involved. Oh, you were laser spamming and they grabbed you? Don't worry, they will throw you, hit you with one aerial, and you will be able to airdodge to safety. Oh wow, you knocked him off the stage? Too bad you can't keep him off because there's about a million different factors ensuring it's hella-easy for them to get back.

Melee has a few situations where playing defensively is the best option. They are all on stupid stages with stupid matchups. I don't think even Mango could win with his gameplay based around ledge stalling/timing out people. These situations are always present in Brawl matches, and I'd argue it would happen more often if Brawl players tried harder to play to win, but they don't want to totally ruin a game that is already too boring to play. I don't know why I'm even typing this because it seems like Brawl players in general just chalk it up to "Melee fanboys have huge egos."

The irony of it all is you are arguing in a thread with an interview with Sakurai about how he succeeded in dumbing down the series because Melee was too hard!

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
I don't see how anyone can compare Melee's defensive game to Brawl's. As a Falco main, I've found that the harder I try to play *** and just laser all the time, the worse I do. The reason being is because in Melee when you play defensively you can tack on a good amount of damage, but once they finally get their hands on you you get wrecked in a huge 0-death combo. At my first few tournaments I would just laser spam and run away because I thought I could avoid confrontation, but I've found out I'm much better off just leading into combos from lasers instead of trying to win with just lasers. The reason this doesn't happen in Brawl is because you can't punish people who play defensively. They have a safe way of grabbing the ledge and getting out of comboes with basically no risk involved. Oh, you were laser spamming and they grabbed you? Don't worry, they will throw you, hit you with one aerial, and you will be able to airdodge to safety. Oh wow, you knocked him off the stage? Too bad you can't keep him off because there's about a million different factors ensuring it's hella-easy for them to get back.

Melee has a few situations where playing defensively is the best option. They are all on stupid stages with stupid matchups. I don't think even Mango could win with his gameplay based around ledge stalling/timing out people. These situations are always present in Brawl matches, and I'd argue it would happen more often if Brawl players tried harder to play to win, but they don't want to totally ruin a game that is already too boring to play. I don't know why I'm even typing this because it seems like Brawl players in general just chalk it up to "Melee fanboys have huge egos."

The irony of it all is you are arguing in a thread with an interview with Sakurai about how he succeeded in dumbing down the series because Melee was too hard!
playing brawl aggressively but smart is good too you just cant walk up and 0death combo and win

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yeah I would think that stalling requires you to play defensive. Unless Etwist you want to explain the difference between stalling and playing defensive?
stalling is similar to playing defensively, it aint the same thing tho. A falcon dding and spacing nairs is playing defensively, stalling is a bit different because youre not trying to gain the upper hand at all, all youre trying to do is keep you in the advantage while youre opponent cant do anything about it because it involves almost no risk. Someone rushing youre **** down while you just space and punish is playing defensively. Watch azen, he was hella defensive but he didnt run away.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
I have to ask: why do you play Brawl?
My reason is I started playing competitive brawl in a melee dominated state for a while now and wanted more smash tourneys and a brawl scene but there is little to no tourneys here in Nebraska and we just got a brawl scene here started a few months ago. We have one of the best scenes for melee in the midwest though and I stop playing Brawl for a while.I have a bad craving for melee and I wanted to get better as a player but I also want to nerd at melee as well but I want to get better at both though cause I like both games but at the moment I like melee more because It supports my kind of play and it helps me with technical skill and to learn what to do at certain situations.

U.K.L.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0061-1001-8130
why is it that melee theareds turn out to be brawl vs melee but none of brawls? im asking it in a why kind of way not sarcastic. i would like it if melee fans would accept brawl players =(

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
What are you talking about? Tis was posted in the brawl forums and turned into melee vs brawl before this one. The thing is, for the most part we arent flaming each other so i dont see the problem here.

Bones0

Smash Legend
why is it that melee theareds turn out to be brawl vs melee but none of brawls? im asking it in a why kind of way not sarcastic. i would like it if melee fans would accept brawl players =(
I guess cause Brawl players feel the need to go into Melee Discussion to justify the competitive value of their game.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yep, triangle of love. Or of affair. :]

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Nah, sf players actually dont hate on melee much anymore (on srk at least). The main thing they hate about us is the rules and the community (not really anymore since we grew up quite a bit). They hate brawl for brawl tho.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure they hate both competitive communities. I guess it's more on brawl since it's new and gets more spotlight(MLG etc)

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
major sentence screw up lol

well, as a person who goes to srk everyday, they dont seem to hate melee anymore. They say THE game IS deep and all but they still say its a not a fg, but thats never going to change.

B.W.

Smash Champion
He's right. SRK doesn't hate Melee players so much. Even the comments on their news about this interview say how much better Melee is and how much more competitive it is. Though they do still say it's not a fighting game, but whatevaaah

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Indeed. It's not hated that much any more but not fully accepted as "real fighting game" by many on there. I guess that's what I was trying to get at. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom