• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Bros Announcements Galore! Watch Here

TechMage299

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TechMage299
3DS FC
3497-1921-5527
Two things:
1)Anyone notice that when they showed the WiiU and 3DS version side by side, it said the 3DS version is in V1.0.3, when it's currently 1.0.2(leaks? post release?)
2)Roy confirmed but he looks different and lacks a sword.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
After an an exam, lab report write-up, and lab classwork (all for Organic Chemistry), that presentation served as a much-relished reward (which I don't deserve Embarrass), thank God - BEST. NINTENDO DIRECT. EVER! :colorful:

Seriously, it was hard enough to top the April 2014 Nintendo Direct (Super Smash Bros. 4 edition), and this "'50'-Fact Extravaganza" just blows it out of the water with 54 facts, including a newcomer trailer (which I anticipated would be for Duck Hunt Dog....dang, Bowser Jr., you scary :scared:) and the most wonderful, long-awaited Super Smash Bros. announcement, a MEWTWO ANNOUNCEMENT! Thank you Nintendo and the Pokemon franchise and Super Smash Bros. 4 development team and Nintendo Treehouse and everyone who made this event happen!

:bluejump: Still hyped about Mewtwo's fantastic reveal.. I felt that Nintendo should have used "Mewtwo Returns!" in place of the "Mewtwo Is On The Way!" tagline and then use "Mewtwo Strikes Back!" for Mewtwo's introductory/revelatory video (if he happens to get one - out of all of the veterans, I feel like Mewtwo is the most deserving of one at the moment, even if they are typically limited to newcomers). I'm so glad that the final Mewtwo announcement wasn't leaked in advance (and of all announcements, that was the best one to keep secret), especially after all that has happened throughout Super Smash Bros. 4 development..

The minor disappointments from the presentation were:
  • Mewtwo relegated as downloadable content (DLC). I dislike the concept in general (particularly since I tend to get games without being able to access online features or long after the original release date), even in this case, but I can't be too mad - MEWTWO IS IN SUPER SMASH BROS. 4! And his inclusion paves the way for other potential fighters, like Golden Sun's Isaac and Donkey Kong's King K. Rool.
  • Masterpieces, let alone them being restricted as demonstration versions once again. If they're going to be included, at least let us play the full game! I was hoping that Mother 3 would be casually shown, somehow.. The annoying thing about it is that the games take up space on the Super Smash Bros. 4 disk unnecessarily, and the time spent coding for their use/including them could be devoted to working on other aspects of the game. Additionally, if you already own the games featured as Masterpieces, the Masterpieces are basically redundant. Just limit the "demos" to the Nintendo eShop and work on game content. >_>
  • the fact that CDs appear to be "random drops" again. Stage Builder looks amazing, though, so hopefully CD Factories can return?
  • the possibility that not all Nintendo 3DS songs will feature in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's Sound Test/My Music. Like, stop trying to make the "3DS version" unique - the Wii U version is inherently the superior version of the game (at least in my opinion), so max out the Sound Test as much as possible! And it's not like there's no space, considering the inclusion of so many Masterpieces... Also, the soundtrack number was a bit underwhelming; I thought it would be the whole game music (like what the Pokemon core series have on iTunes).
  • Ridley being relegated as a weird Boss/stage helper hybrid..thing. I really wanted him playable, but as others have said, his current implementation is the next best thing to being playable, so I'm grateful! Here's hoping for him as SSB4 DLC (nothing mandates that Ridley can't be a stage boss/helper and a DLC fighter :p) or as a full-fledged Super Smash Bros. 5 fighter!

But THAT SERIES OF STAGE CONFIRMATIONS, THO. Seriously, did you see the wonderment of that sequence of seconds? I was like "Ooh, new stages! Oh, cool, Great Cave Offensive! Oh, wow, a lot of new stages... Wait, Lylat Cruise is returning?! Delfino Plaza?! MORE new stages? A non-Pilotwings Wuhu Island stage is real?! My brain can't handle all of this awesomeness!" LOL at "Kongo Jungle 64" casually getting leaked via the My Music segment's screenshot from the 50-Fact Extravaganza.

I grasped the scope of Jungle Hi-jinx (haha, Super Smash Flash 2 crops up again! Even the layout seemed a bit similar to me) after the presentation, but that "plane-of-field switching" mechanic looks awesome! I think someone on Smashboards suggested a similar idea a while ago, but I didn't think it would be feasible.. And here we are, with "visual plane switching" and 8-player multiplayer matches (I loved the build-up; it was too incredulous to believe)!

But yeah, Stage Builder! Returning stages! MEWTWO! SO MUCH HYPE! Bittersweet in that Mewtwo is confirmed as a fighter, but Ridley isn't fully playable/is deconfirmed! The Mewtwo "foreshadowing" (with the trophy of his Mega Evolutions being shown prior to Mewtwo's official confirmation as a SSB4 veteran fighter) was quite nice!

Hey Ridley fans.

I told you so!

Well worth the infraction, hit me mods <3
:nervous: I kind of want to appropriate that image towards the Mewtwo detractors and the people who insisted that the roster was "'final' (as if the mere possibility for DLC was outright impossible)"... XD

The Wii U version rectified a lot of my disappointments about the Nintendo 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. 4, so the outlook is a bit brighter! I'm not even that mad about the Ridley trolling and stuff now.. For me, Super Smash Bros. 4 = Game of the Year 2014 (and 2015, just for kicks) is a lock! Although it's like I have to get the 3DS version of SSB4 now just for Mewtwo.. XD

Last edited:

Cyberguy64

Smash Journeyman
Aw geeze. I'm almost ashamed to be a Ridley supporter. D-idara really needs to shut up now.

That said, you people cheering his demise really should be ashamed of yourselves. That's really not cool, and there is no nicer word for that kinda behavior then jerkish. Plenty of worse ones, but no nicer.

I was ticked about Ridley's pseudo fighter status. But I've cooled off. It's... not him being a fighter. But it is better than being an assist or a mere hazard. My biggest issue with it is that nobody likes playing stages with this brand of hazard, so poor Ridley will join the Flying Men and the Yellow Devil as hazards everyone hates.

At any rate, I find it very suspicious that his stock Icon is the classic Super Ridley design. I'm not counting a playable space pirate out just yet.

Also, Mewtwo fans, congrats! I'm legit pleased that he's in as DLC.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Isnt it also immature to automatickly say someone is 7? I know you are trying to burn him but you shouldn't talk. your age is 26, an adult, act like one
Lol I thought that the second after I posted my statement. You're right! I just tend to get worked up when people say **** you to Ridley supporters. Please accept my apologies!

Mach5Mike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mach5Mike
Mewtwo is coming back for real this time? All those forum threads about trophy deconfirmations are now disproven? DLC's going to be a thing? The Smash 4 Hype Train really does have NO BRAKES!

Excuse me while I go reevaluate my plans for my next few paychecks....

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I just realized something....with DLC characters officially being a thing...the character debates and support threads will essentially be going on for the entirety of the Wii U's lifespan. May God have mercy on our souls.

passworddots

Smash Rookie
So, if no one's mentioned this, yet, Bowser Jr's trailer is title "The Future King", and considering the reveal of kennings in the Punch-Out!! stage, I'd guess that's Bowser Jr's title; add that drama to your Koopaling headcanon...

Kingkool

Smash Apprentice
Wait, Bowser Jr.s trailer took place in the same canyon that Mega Man's did. Does that mean that rock that some people were saying was Bowser Jr. in the Mega Man trailer actually was BJ? Sort of reminds me how after the Greninja trailer some people said it looked like Mewtwo but no one believed them, also sort of reminds me about the end of the Palutena trailer when Dark Pit showed up no one ever thought he would be more than an alt skin. It's almost as if Sakurai left us small hints towards future characters but instead of us deciphering the clues together as a community we chose to fight with each other and come up with hate-filled terms like "Mewtwofag". Oh well.

Sonicmaster56

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2380-2700-2922
Thanks sakurai. You bit a hole in my wallet. Love the new stage designer! Looks alot more creative then whatever that crap placing blocks around was.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
As odd as it is, this direct gave me reason to go to college. I need to find a new job which I won't be able to make a fair amount of money until I at least start some classes. I'm gonna start scraping money every way I can to earn up for a Wii u and copy of smash Wii u. Fortunately my birthday is in a few days so I might get some money from it.

Ugh. I need money now. Or if anyone DOESNT want their Mewtwo code when it comes out, please consider me.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Welcome home, Mewtwo.

RIP Ridley fans. Sakurai's going to drink from your tears tonight.

D

Deleted member

I'm so freaking happy that Mewtwo is coming back! I don't even care that I'll have to get the 3DS version too. I just hope they manage to make him a competent fighter this time around.

I'm not some rabid Ridley fan who was constantly posting about him and getting into stupid arguments, but I still consider myself a Ridley supporter. Smash could always use more playable villains, and he was the best option for a new Metroid character, so I admit I am disappointed that he isn't playable. It's such an odd case too because he's about as close to a playable character as possible without actually being one. That decision baffles me, but whatever. And anybody who is somehow glad that we have one less playable character is really dumb and only saying that to be spiteful. You all know you would have been hyped to be able to play as him, and it's not the character's fault that he has some crazy fans.

But anyway, I hope this DLC confirmation means that they'll decide to bring back Wolf, Lucas, and Ice Climbers at some point in the future (Snake too, although he seems less likely.) Hell, this might open up the doors for completely new characters like Dixie Kong or Isaac as well as balance patches.

Last edited by a moderator:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
After an an exam, lab report write-up, and lab classwork (all for Organic Chemistry), that presentation served as a much-relished reward (which I don't deserve Embarrass), thank God - BEST. NINTENDO DIRECT. EVER! :colorful:

Seriously, it was hard enough to top the April 2014 Nintendo Direct (Super Smash Bros. 4 edition), and this "'50'-Fact Extravaganza" just blows it out of the water with 54 facts, including a newcomer trailer (which I anticipated would be for Duck Hunt Dog....dang, Bowser Jr., you scary :scared:) and the most wonderful, long-awaited Super Smash Bros. announcement, a MEWTWO ANNOUNCEMENT! Thank you Nintendo and the Pokemon franchise and Super Smash Bros. 4 development team and Nintendo Treehouse and everyone who made this event happen!

:bluejump: Still hyped about Mewtwo's fantastic reveal.. I felt that Nintendo should have used "Mewtwo Returns!" in place of the "Mewtwo Is On The Way!" tagline and then use "Mewtwo Strikes Back!" for Mewtwo's introductory/revelatory video (if he happens to get one - out of all of the veterans, I feel like Mewtwo is the most deserving of one at the moment, even if they are typically limited to newcomers). I'm so glad that the final Mewtwo announcement wasn't leaked in advance (and of all announcements, that was the best one to keep secret), especially after all that has happened throughout Super Smash Bros. 4 development..

The minor disappointments from the presentation were:
  • Mewtwo relegated as downloadable content (DLC). I dislike the concept in general (particularly since I tend to get games without being able to access online features or long after the original release date), even in this case, but I can't be too mad - MEWTWO IS IN SUPER SMASH BROS. 4! And his inclusion paves the way for other potential fighters, like Golden Sun's Isaac and Donkey Kong's King K. Rool.
  • Masterpieces, let alone them being restricted as demonstration versions once again. If they're going to be included, at least let us play the full game! I was hoping that Mother 3 would be casually shown, somehow.. The annoying thing about it is that the games take up space on the Super Smash Bros. 4 disk unnecessarily, and the time spent coding for their use/including them could be devoted to working on other aspects of the game. Additionally, if you already own the games featured as Masterpieces, the Masterpieces are basically redundant. Just limit the "demos" to the Nintendo eShop and work on game content. >_>
  • the fact that CDs appear to be "random drops" again. Stage Builder looks amazing, though, so hopefully CD Factories can return?
  • the possibility that not all Nintendo 3DS songs will feature in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's Sound Test/My Music. Like, stop trying to make the "3DS version" unique - the Wii U version is inherently the superior version of the game (at least in my opinion), so max out the Sound Test as much as possible! And it's not like there's no space, considering the inclusion of so many Masterpieces... Also, the soundtrack number was a bit underwhelming; I thought it would be the whole game music (like what the Pokemon core series have on iTunes).
  • Ridley being relegated as a weird Boss/stage helper hybrid..thing. I really wanted him playable, but as others have said, his current implementation is the next best thing to being playable, so I'm grateful! Here's hoping for him as SSB4 DLC (nothing mandates that Ridley can't be a stage boss/helper and a DLC fighter :p) or as a full-fledged Super Smash Bros. 5 fighter!

But THAT SERIES OF STAGE CONFIRMATIONS, THO. Seriously, did you see the wonderment of that sequence of seconds? I was like "Ooh, new stages! Oh, cool, Great Cave Offensive! Oh, wow, a lot of new stages... Wait, Lylat Cruise is returning?! Delfino Plaza?! MORE new stages? A non-Pilotwings Wuhu Island stage is real?! My brain can't handle all of this awesomeness!" LOL at "Kongo Jungle 64" casually getting leaked via the My Music segment's screenshot from the 50-Fact Extravaganza.

I grasped the scope of Jungle Hi-jinx (haha, Super Smash Flash 2 crops up again! Even the layout seemed a bit similar to me) after the presentation, but that "plane-of-field switching" mechanic looks awesome! I think someone on Smashboards suggested a similar idea a while ago, but I didn't think it would be feasible.. And here we are, with "visual plane switching" and 8-player multiplayer matches (I loved the build-up; it was too incredulous to believe)!

But yeah, Stage Builder! Returning stages! MEWTWO! SO MUCH HYPE! Bittersweet in that Mewtwo is confirmed as a fighter, but Ridley isn't fully playable/is deconfirmed! The Mewtwo "foreshadowing" (with the trophy of his Mega Evolutions being shown prior to Mewtwo's official confirmation as a SSB4 veteran fighter) was quite nice!

:nervous: I kind of want to appropriate that image towards the Mewtwo detractors and the people who insisted that the roster was "'final' (as if the mere possibility for DLC was outright impossible)"... XD

The Wii U version rectified a lot of my disappointments about the Nintendo 3DS version of Super Smash Bros. 4, so the outlook is a bit brighter! I'm not even that mad about the Ridley trolling and stuff now.. For me, Super Smash Bros. 4 = Game of the Year 2014 (and 2015, just for kicks) is a lock! Although it's like I have to get the 3DS version of SSB4 now just for Mewtwo.. XD
Judging from how much you typed, I can tell you're still feeling the adderall you took for all that organic chemistry work, bro.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Dude calm down you misread my post just like the other guy. I didn't include a console to get to 300. That was without buying any additional console. This is probably not going to be the cost for you because you probably already own most of the stuff I counted. But for people who aren't nintendo-gamers this game is going to have to have one of the fattest price tags ever.
The game has a price tag of 60$, just like any other video game. Period.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
I'm convinced that Ridley was designed as playable and changed to a boss (and upsized) late in the game. Even counting towards the KO count, playing essentially like an amiibo fighter. My guess is Sakurai and the team felt he didn't work very well the way they designed him as playable, so they did the next best thing. As a supporter, I'm happy with how he turned out. Obviously I wouldn't be pissed if he was made playable as DLC or something, but I'm perfectly content with this. Also, detractors can kiss the most oily, salty part of my ass. No reason to want less characters.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Isnt it also immature to automatickly say someone is 7? I know you are trying to burn him but you shouldn't talk. your age is 26, an adult, act like one
You've spent most of this thread pooping on people for wanting a character they love in a game they love. I don't know how old you are, but what the heck?

So just to clarify on my end...I'm only really happy that Ridley got decomfirmed as a playable character is all cus of being sick of everyone bragging about wanting him to be playable. I don't mind that he's a major stage hazard like that Mega Man boss is, sounds like a cool feature to have.
It isn't bragging about wanting him to be playable, it's wanting him to be playable. No one goes "guys, I'm awesome because I want Ridley to be playable". Actually, it's become quite the opposite. Ridley fans seem to have to hide in the dark now because they either get bashed hard or are associated with people like D-Idara who are just going crazy. It's like Ridley fandom is the new Brawl community. This place sucks.

But he doesn't really show emotions or anything that a player can use to tell that he has a personality. People would play as him and feel like they were playing as a huge monster that wants to kill everyone rather than a villain with goals and emotions. Also, size is a pretty big part of why Ridley is, well, Ridley. It's a reason why he's so threatening. Get rid of that and he just loses his punch.
:4ganondorf:

Answer: Do I care?
Whoa, you're so edgy and cool. Can we be friends?

MRTsmash

Smash Rookie
November 21st can't get here soon enough! the 8-Player Smash, Smash Tour, DK's new stage, etc.

P.S. welcome back, Mewtwo!

NNID
browningit
3DS FC
4313-2000-6519
There are so many cool things I can't wait to try out in this. The debauchery in 8 player will be hilarious. Did anyone catch how that is going to work? 4 people on Wii U controllers + 4 people on 3DS? Did I miss that explanation completely?

FOR GLORY!

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Looking at the Ridley video again, he even KO's with the big blast like a playable. I'm 99% sure he was designed as a playable, then upsized and made a boss late in the game. Who knows why. Another IC situation with the 3ds version? Throw in the fact that he doesn't at all act like he did in the old direct, and he appears much larger now too.

Last edited:

bloodyshadow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8060-5220
The stage builder looks epic as hell. Glad they beefed it up. I'm also glad that Mewtwo was announced so that now people can just complain about Ridley nonstop.

TravelocityKirby

Smash Rookie
NNID
TravelocityKirby
3DS FC
3480-2636-5297
This community is ****ing hell
Why'd I join this place again? ~_~
Anywho, crazy good Direct. The announcer was awesome, Bowser Jr. trailer was great, and when Mewtwo came up, I was "Welp! Congrats you guys!" I did feel sorry for the Ridley supporters when his fate was revealed but eh, he's got a stock icon :V

Not sure what to feel about Smash Tour or only having 9 unlockable characters, but I was getting a bit impatient unlocking the 12 in 3DS. And Jiggs is a starter character omg :O

Crawfish

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3540-1393-8146
maybe all those people complaining about clones because of lack of "more original" characters can shut up.

Top Bottom