• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Icy_Eagle

Smash Journeyman
so, yeah, how about posting the discussion? Panda said it's already done this week so I don't see what we're waiting for.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Did you see Sonic discussion? It was plain hilarious. Top that.
What exactly happened there?

Also, I searched that thing we were supposed to search to get our answer. Is the character
pokemon trainer
or
jigglypuff
?

mimic_king

Smash Lord
How come we haven't gotten our discussion thread? I can understand Panda being busy with finals coming up soon, but he can't be THAT busy. Or can he?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
How come we haven't gotten our discussion thread? I can understand Panda being busy with finals coming up soon, but he can't be THAT busy. Or can he?
Wait. What discussion thread?

And yes, I'm ridiculously f'ing busy. I still have to watch a 3 hour movie tonight while writing 2 essays and reading a book. And I have to wake up at 8 tomorrow. Fun!

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Hmmmm, I think the only thing that keeps Metaknight TOP is his bad matchups, notably versus characters with lots of range and power. Marth, Ike, Zamus... they all seem to be able to play a good game of keep away with superior range.

However, I'd still place him in the high tier, just because he wrecks so much of the cast. He's amongst the few who can approach in a defensive game, has excellent options to punish plays, and is very mobile. I expect to see a TON of Metaknights in the next few months.

You expected quite well.

YumeMaxx

Smash Cadet
So... I know I'm barely leaving any time between characters here, but is the next hint gonna be a new Overswarm puzzle? I totally missed out on the last one, so I really hope it is!

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So... I know I'm barely leaving any time between characters here, but is the next hint gonna be a new Overswarm puzzle? I totally missed out on the last one, so I really hope it is!
The next one won't be, but there will be another one. :)

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
Update #34: ?????

Hmm, this character appears to be of the baffling type.

The first "?" matches perfectly with the fourth "?", making me beleive the "?"s are in some sort of pattern. I think that if you take the second "?" out like this: "????" then put it on the end so that it looks like this: "?????" then it suggests we are looking for a fail character.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
"The lackluster recovery of all three pokémon make their stocks disappear incredibly fast against a watchful opponent."

False. Squirtle and Ivysaur, yes(and it's debatle what exactly "lackluster" means. Depending on that, Squirtle may not have a lackluster recovery). Charizard, no. His sweetspotting range is huge, and Fly is surprisingly good. If Zard's recovery is lackluster, Marth's is too. The Up+Bs are about the same distance wise, except you can aim Charizard's Up+B. Add in an additional jump, the glide, and Zard's recovery is good. Not great, not amazing. Good. It's a good recovey. Also, Charizard is a heavy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_ChB5VQ658

Look at 0:45 to see the range of Zard's recovery(It's actually greater than that, and it's bolstered by Zard's sweet spot range). Ignore the fact I sucked more then. This is just to demonstrate the range.

Squirtle is small, very agile, and tough to hit. He's also more of a midweight, and his recovery has that extra range that you'd want on Mario's recovery, and you can aim Squirtles so it's more horizontal or completely vertical. Recovery can probably be considered slightly lacking, if that. It does it's job well enough.

Ivysaur has incredible zoning abilities just by waiting there. Bair, Bullet Seed, Jab, Vine Whip, Dtilt(if Jab is too slow), Ftilt(Alternative to Dtilt), RAZOR LEAF. All of those attacks are incredibly disjointed/a projectile, and cover much of the space around her. She has incredible anti-air zoning, and her ground game is pretty disjointed as well. While she's somewhat easy to gimp(if you miss-time your edgehog, she can razor leaf you just as Olimar can use his Over B, although without detriment to her recovery), if the Ivy has the luxery of saving their second jump, Fair becomes an additional option to stop ledgeguarding attempts. But the point is getting Ivy off stage in the first place. Ivy is designed to be played defensively. It can be very hard to get past those vines of hers.

Change the first statement about lackluster recoveries for all 3. Mention Zard has a good recovery, and being heavy makes him hard to kill. You may want to add in that Squirtle's recovery is like Mario's, but it has that extra range Mario mains would like to have. I can debate Ivy all day, but her recovery is bleh, and only made meh by her Razor Leaf, which due to it's slow nature and huge hitbox, can hit people off the ledge more often than not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1uUOwY40r8

Start from 2:22 until the end to see Razor Leaf's ability to hit an opponent off of the ledge. I sucked back then, so ignore the fact I can't get up from the ledge after finally getting there.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
Post that in the character discussion thread, not here. This isn't the place to debate the specific characters.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
MK has range, near perfect if not already perfect recovery, one of the best gimpers in the game, lagless, a broken up-B, crazy fast attacks, way too many recovery options, gliding and has match-ups always in his favor ( I hope the Diddy match-up works well ). The lagless part is what really puts the icing on the cake. MK has lots of tactical approaches and can punish a lot. However, he's a feather-weight with a low crouch, bad air speed and gets the short end of the stick with grab-release combos.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
MK has range, near perfect if not already perfect recovery, one of the best gimpers in the game, lagless, a broken up-B, crazy fast attacks, way too many recovery options, gliding and has match-ups always in his favor ( I hope the Diddy match-up works well ). The lagless part is what really puts the icing on the cake. MK has lots of tactical approaches and can punish a lot. However, he's a feather-weight with a low crouch, bad air speed and gets the short end of the stick with grab-release combos.
His moves might look like they have priority, but apparently they actually cannot clash with any attack. All his sword attacks have the priority properties of aerials, or so I've been told.

mimic_king

Smash Lord
Update #34: ?????

Hmm, this character appears to be of the baffling type.

The first "?" matches perfectly with the fourth "?", making me beleive the "?"s are in some sort of pattern. I think that if you take the second "?" out like this: "????" then put it on the end so that it looks like this: "?????" then it suggests we are looking for a fail character.
lolwut ?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yeop. It can go both ways, but I call that "pretty freakin' awesome priority". :)
I get the impression that MK has surprisingly fewer options than it would first appear if you attack from above him, provided you know the properties of his moves. Of course, this is only useful for characters that have downward attacks with long disjoints, items that can be thrown downwards, etc. I have no idea if this is true or who can take advantage of this if I'm right. I am aware of shuttle loop, so I'm kinda assuming it would be a character that can out-prioritize it.

It's too bad it's so hard to abuse MK's low vertical and horizontal air speed. MK's only fast veritcal option is shuttle loop, but that goes into glide. Horizontal air speed I imagine is unforunately helped by the tornado.

Grunt

Smash Master
It's a double edged sword really.
sometimes you hit before them because it doesn't clash, and sometimes it goes right through you.

Top Bottom