• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

East

Crappy Imitation
Doing Tricks in a Mansion Location: Tokyo, JP
Here's something I was thinking about. Why did Panda separate the "paragraphs", instead of just sticking them both together. My answer what were looking for is two words. By which I don't mean the hint to figuring out the character is two words possibly. Taking into account the the single "this character is a character" line possibly three, with the first word being something simple like "a"

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
Hanba and Knotz. First letter after the word "not" in each line, in reverse order. (including the word "a")

And guess who is voiced by Tomoe Hanba in the Japanese Version and Michele Knotz in the American version of Brawl?

Pokemon Trainer.

Edit: I had gotten those letters before, but they didn't seem like words to me, until OS said that there were too many hints to name, when I figured out that they were separated by paragraph and that they might be people's names. Enter into Google and voila.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Hanba and Knotz. First letter after the word "not" in each line, in reverse order. (including the word "a")

And guess who is voiced by Tomoe Hanba in the Japanese Version and Michele Knotz in the American version of Brawl?

Pokemon Trainer.
I'll take your word for it, but WTF.

EDIT: Solution to this week's hint: look for the first letter after "This character is not" backwards, and then google the answer to find out who they voice acted.

...:ohwell:

Nestec

Smash Ace
OMFG

We so should've seen that a looong time ago. LOL
Good job, Aeolous. ^_^
That was intense, lol, remember all that math and crap we were doing??

EDIT: AAAHHH!! Credits!! Voice actors!!

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
...OS, your at post 7,500.

............yeah, wow.

EDIT:
OMFG

We so should've seen that a looong time ago. LOL
Good job, Aeolous. ^_^
That was intense, lol, remember all that math and crap we were doing??
No, we shouldn't have seen that a long time ago.

In it's original form, the hint could never have been solved.

Even after OS's first real hint, it was not clear what should be done. The first time that hint became solvable was when Overswarm wrote ?etting.

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that took way too long. Especially since we kept getting so close, but were off by a letter or two, or just didn't bother to search the letters that we had because we didn't think they made sense.

@ Nestec's edit: yeah, I just remembered that too.

Nestec

Smash Ace
Hmm, so what on earth does the very first sentence mean anyway? Is it just suggesting "characters" as in "letters"?

And I'm not seeing how ?etting was supposed to help us. =_=
Aah, Frogsterking is gonna go nuts when he gets in here.

@Halloween: Yeah, if it weren't for the "look backwards" and "beyond the nots" hints, we wouldn't have gotten it. But still, I can't believe we needed more help even after that much... >_< (lol "beyond the nots". Knotz. )

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
The ?etting was telling us that it was the first letter we needed to be interested in.

I don't know that the first sentence had anything to do with actually soving the hint, I think it was just to start off the random strings of is, is not, and might be. But I could be wrong.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Actually, since the ?etting came five hours ago, I'm not all that surprised we took until now to finish.

I wonder if there was anything else that should have helped us within the hint. You know, something that would have indicated the pattern...

aeolous

Smash Apprentice
Well, when he said to look beyond what you cannot do, I thought it might be the first letter "beyond" not, or immediately following it, and then obviously there was the moving backwards bit, but I just didn't see any meaning in the letters until the name hint, and paying attention to the paragraph break. Before that though, not a clue.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Well, when he said to look beyond what you cannot do, I thought it might be the first letter "beyond" not, or immediately following it, and then obviously there was the moving backwards bit, but I just didn't see any meaning in the letters until the name hint, and paying attention to the paragraph break. Before that though, not a clue.
No, I meant did Samurai give us anything within the hint to help us, something that would indicate the need to go backwards or something.

EDIT: What's a redwall book?

Ownasaurus

Smash Journeyman
Lol, the funny thing is I was looking at those words/letters but had no idea they spelled someone's name XD

Bnzaaa

Smash Ace
EDIT: What's a redwall book?
A Redwall book is one of many in a series of Redwall, written by Brian Jacques. They're generally about little critters that live in an Abbey, and get threatened by vile critter. They then receive help from other good critters from around the area. In the end, a specific sword always helps save the day.

It was one of my favorite series, so I felt I had to answer :).

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
A Redwall book is one of many in a series of Redwall, written by Brian Jacques. They're generally about little critters that live in an Abbey, and get threatened by vile critter. They then receive help from other good critters from around the area. In the end, a specific sword always helps save the day.

It was one of my favorite series, so I felt I had to answer :).
EEEEEEUUUUUULIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Salmandastron=win.

Smooth Criminal

infomon

Smash Scientist
I was given that book once, many years ago......

....... I read the first few pages, and was like "wtf why are they all animals"

and I stopped reading :(

that was long before I even knew about furries lolol

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
...OS, your at post 7,500.

............yeah, wow.

EDIT:

No, we shouldn't have seen that a long time ago.

In it's original form, the hint could never have been solved.

Even after OS's first real hint, it was not clear what should be done. The first time that hint became solvable was when Overswarm wrote ?etting.
Samruai -
What I said might have been unfair. In truth, my only criticism was the number of rules involved was kind of overwhelming (for me, at least). First letter after the "not" in every other line spelt backwards, followed by "Whose that Voice Actor" - how do you come up with these, anyway?

Come to think of it, how did anyone know that those were PT's voice actors?

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm still not clear just what Redwall has to do with anything.

Or what makes the series any more unique than, say, the Chronicles of Narnia.
>_____________>

You obviously haven't read Brian Jacques (Redwall or no). Brain-teasers were a common thing in some of the Redwall books.

As for Redwall's uniqueness: Redwall's ingenuity is purely old-school appeal, as crazy and as paradoxical as that sounds. Take some of the old Arthurian trappings, throw in a very unique setting revolving around bi-pedal animals, and then shake well. The end result? Redwall. I don't think anybody here could condense its awesome into a few paragraphs. Do yourself a favor and pick up the first book (entitled "Redwall"). Then if you like the series, continue reading it and most definitely pick up "Outcast of Redwall" and "Pearls of Lutra."

And while C.S. Lewis was a pretty chill guy, Chronicles of Narnia isn't as unique as some of the other things I've read IMO. Especially not Redwall.

Smooth Criminal

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
>_____________>

You obviously haven't read Brian Jacques (Redwall or no). Brain-teasers were a common thing in some of the Redwall books.

As for Redwall's uniqueness: Redwall's ingenuity is purely old-school appeal, as crazy and as paradoxical as that sounds. Take some of the old Arthurian trappings, throw in a very unique setting revolving around bi-pedal animals, and then shake well. The end result? Redwall. I don't think anybody here could condense its awesome into a few paragraphs. Do yourself a favor and pick up the first book (entitled "Redwall"). Then if you like the series, continue reading it and most definitely pick up "Outcast of Redwall" and "Pearls of Lutra."

And while C.S. Lewis was a pretty chill guy, Chronicles of Narnia isn't as unique as some of the other things I've read IMO. Especially not Redwall.

Smooth Criminal
Have you read The Last Battle yet?

C.S. Lewis' creation and apocalypse stories are epic. I don't think it would be possible to make them into a movie. Which is too bad, as I really wanted to see something realer looking than reality.

The other ones are pretty much O.K.

SilverBlaze

Smash Apprentice
I thought Redwall was unique until I had finished reading about 5 books in the series. Then I realized that most all had the same basic plot in that Animals are oppressed, hero/ine needs to go find/retrieve Martin's sword, hero/ine goes and beats bad guy, the end. Also, I'd like to direct you here: http://xkcd.com/370/

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I thought Redwall was unique until I had finished reading about 5 books in the series. Then I realized that most all had the same basic plot in that Animals are oppressed, hero/ine needs to go find/retrieve Martin's sword, hero/ine goes and beats bad guy, the end. Also, I'd like to direct you here: http://xkcd.com/370/
>_> You clearly haven't read beyond "Martin the Warrior." You really should.

Edit: Back on topic, people. I don't want to get this thread locked because of lit talk.

Smooth Criminal

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
I didn't really like this hint. I thought it would be a *facepalm* "DURRR" thing when I found out, but honestly I was never going to figure out that it was some voice actors name backwards, even if I had found the first-letter code it would have been gibberish to me. Also, this hint was unsolvable until a couple supplements from Overswarm and Panda.

*adds one more thing* I love Redwall, Lord of The Rings, the Northern Lights trilogy, and Harry Potter. Narnia is OK, I like the christian symbolism, but it doesn't acheive the same epic feel of the listed above.

Edit: *adds another thing* Panda, post the next hint soon PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE. And stop changing colors, your giving me a headache. :dizzy:

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Narnia is brilliant. I watched the 2 movies that came out. That's what makes it all crap. I'm not gonna watch any other Narnia movie again. It ruins the story. If they gonna make a movie out of Dawn Trader, I'm gonna cry :( It's the best book and they'll just **** it.

EDIT: Go THC, Narnia is da ****. Last Battle was cool. BTW, nice tactical discussion here. Lol, they're not gonna lock this anyway.

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
Voyage of the Dawn Treader is also my favorite book of the series. I remember I cried when I read The Last Battle for the first time (I was really little).

I hated The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe movie. They tried to neuter it for little kids and sucked all the violence and depth out of it. Prince Caspian wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, still not that great though. I can just imagine how they'll ruin Voyage of The Dawn Treader. Probably cut out the entire dragon part to keep it PG.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Oh man, there just happened too much. The house, with the little dwarf like things or mushroom things, the dragon island, the star-dude, that nightmare darkness... I wanna read it again. Luckily I have all of them.
But honestly, Narnia are the best books there are.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Never read Northern Lights, but books are so much better without movies. Harry Potter was good, Narnia was better. LotR is good, but I didn't like it as much. I can't describe what it was, but it was too much in the dark (if that can happen in a book O.o).
If Legend of Zelda were a book, I'd be sold for life :O. I could die happy in a instant :lick:

Frogsterking

Smash Journeyman
Never read Northern Lights, but books are so much better without movies. Harry Potter was good, Narnia was better. LotR is good, but I didn't like it as much. I can't describe what it was, but it was too much in the dark (if that can happen in a book O.o)
Northern Lights is the English name of The Golden Compass, which had a really crappy movie made out of it. They are really good, especially the second one The Subtle Knife, but very athiest (sp?). I understand where your coming from about LotRs though.

We need to stop or some mods will get very mad.

Top Bottom