• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

Cerrus

Smash Cadet
My best guess is Olimar. Good aerials, hurt against ranged chars and obvious potential to be gimped.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Next week's character will be a fun one to talk about. Underestimated by many, this character has a devastating aerial game that will surprise you when it takes you out at a low percent. But on the ground this character doesn't have very many options against long range or projectile spamming characters other than one of their B attacks. And this character's recovery can be fine sometimes, but against smart opponents this character can be gimped quite easily.
I'd have to say that it's Ike, or perhaps Olimar.

Although I haven't heard of Ike being underestimated by many, his aerial game is quite surprising due to it's speed. This may catch players off guard considering that when you think of Ike, you think "strong and powerful, but slow". His aerial game, however, would fall under the category of "strong and fast". Olimar would fit in here too. Of course, considering all of the different Pikmin that could be used against you, an aerial that did little damage the last time around could be a potential kill move the next time (Purple Pikmin anyone?).

The next hint alse works in both Ike and Olimar's favor. Ike's forward B is about the only way you're going to be approaching a projectile spammer short of good old jumping and airdodging. Olimar's forward B fits this description as well. If the right Pikmin is thrown at your opponent, they'll easily be screwed out of camping.

The final hint once again could refer to Ike and Olimar. Ike's up b recovery, although it has awesome super armor, has very little horizontal recovery. A smart player will time their edgehog so that when Ike is jumping to grab his sword at the edge, your invincibility frames will perfectly screw Ike out of recovery, and out of a possible spike in Ike's favor. Although Ike's forward B would seem like a better method of recovery than his up b(it's pretty much your only choice if you are above the stage), it still has a major flaw. Should he be interrupted by a powerful attack during mid recovery, Ike will freefall to his death. Of course, an inexperienced player may not realize such techniques during the heat of the battle, which is why only smart opponents can gimp him quite easily. Olimar, on the other hand, is much easier to gimp. Dare I say the easiest character in the entire game to gimp, save Ivysaur. Get him off the edge, make him waste his jump, and edgehog! If you time your invincibility frames with Olimar's tether recovery, you're pretty much guaranteed a kill. However, an inexperienced player may not be aware of exactly how far Olimar's tether actually reaches, and the fact that there is a chance of you getting spiked should the Olimar player use his recovery while you are edgehogging without any invincibility frames.

Wow, that was an unneccesarily long post. In conclusion, Ike or Olimar sounds good for next week.

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to say that it's Ike, or perhaps Olimar.

Although I haven't heard of Ike being underestimated by many, his aerial game is quite surprising due to it's speed. This may catch players off guard considering that when you think of Ike, you think "strong and powerful, but slow". His aerial game, however, would fall under the category of "strong and fast". Olimar would fit in here too. Of course, considering all of the different Pikmin that could be used against you, an aerial that did little damage the last time around could be a potential kill move the next time (Purple Pikmin anyone?).

The next hint alse works in both Ike and Olimar's favor. Ike's forward B is about the only way you're going to be approaching a projectile spammer short of good old jumping and airdodging. Olimar's forward B fits this description as well. If the right Pikmin is thrown at your opponent, they'll easily be screwed out of camping.

The final hint once again could refer to Ike and Olimar. Ike's up b recovery, although it has awesome super armor, has very little horizontal recovery. A smart player will time their edgehog so that when Ike is jumping to grab his sword at the edge, your invincibility frames will perfectly screw Ike out of recovery, and out of a possible spike in Ike's favor. Although Ike's forward B would seem like a better method of recovery than his up b(it's pretty much your only choice if you are above the stage), it still has a major flaw. Should he be interrupted by a powerful attack during mid recovery, Ike will freefall to his death. Of course, an inexperienced player may not realize such techniques during the heat of the battle, which is why only smart opponents can gimp him quite easily. Olimar, on the other hand, is much easier to gimp. Dare I say the easiest character in the entire game to gimp, save Ivysaur. Get him off the edge, make him waste his jump, and edgehog! If you time your invincibility frames with Olimar's tether recovery, you're pretty much guaranteed a kill. However, an inexperienced player may not be aware of exactly how far Olimar's tether actually reaches, and the fact that there is a chance of you getting spiked should the Olimar player use his recovery while you are edgehogging without any invincibility frames.

Wow, that was an unneccesarily long post. In conclusion, Ike or Olimar sounds good for next week.

Definently, not Ike, that has been proved by talk around here

Bold move in thinkin its olimar, i like it.
but, his ground game is better than his air game cuz of his upsmahs
bold move

MdrnDayMercutio

Smash Champion
On the sonic doesn't spam B moves comment:

Sonic players LOVE UpB. The Spring is probably one of his best moves to over use.

And constant Spin Dashing is great for a pressure character like Sonic. Sure you'll get shielded and spot dodged alot but how the player follows up leads into alot of mind games, imo.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
My first thought was Ness, but he has several projectiles of his own, and both PSI Magnet and the bat to deal with other projectiles. Then I thought of Peach, since floating vanishes when hit out of it and her second jump is nonexistant, but I don't know if her aerial game is as good as what the hint implies.

I guess Olimar sounds good, based on the above post.

ook

Smash Lord
I think it's Captain Falcon.

He's definitely fun to talk about (FALCON PAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUWWWWNCHHHH!!!!!) And his air moves are really good (U-air, B-air, knee, "YES!!"), and his recovery is good, but it doesn't attack people who are edge-hogging as far as I know. So you can just edge-hog him and he can't get back.

For long-range ground attacks, yeah he doesn't have much, except maybe FALCON KICK or something.

Plus, most people say he got really nerfed, so they underestimate him.

Germanydabassist

Smash Rookie
What about ZSS you guys?
she has some surprisingly strong attacks in midair, and when it comes to the ground, her side smash sucks, and most people use the side-B instead. I'm not sure about the popularity, but she might be the next person.

The Chuff

Smash Cadet
What about ZSS you guys?
she has some surprisingly strong attacks in midair, and when it comes to the ground, her side smash sucks, and most people use the side-B instead. I'm not sure about the popularity, but she might be the next person.
I said zamus earlier and everyone skimmed over it, but yeah.
And her fsmash doesn't really suck, it's just totally outclassed by her side b, so no one uses it. lol.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont think Zamus fits because while compared to most of her attacks her aerials are stronger, they still arent really much stronger or more useful for gimping than the aerials of most other characters. She has a slightly above average air game I would say.

Im also a bit more convinced of Ness being it, since I knew his spike was decent, but I didnt know it was as powerful as GoForkYurself said it was. So I can definitely see a surprise with his aerial killing ability now. I still think he has a few options for projectiles, also seeing as how he is a projectile user himself. And yeah hes underestimated and stuff too.

Still though, I think Wario just fits it best. A great gimp from dropping his bike on other characters who are trying to recover, his bike can also be used to block non-explosive projectiles. Great power in his u-air and good aerial priority in general. The Waft is a great kill move that is best used in the air, even if it is a special attack.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol sonic ALMOST fits it perfectly

-------
Next week's character will be a fun one to talk about. Underestimated by many, this character has a devastating aerial game that will surprise you when it takes you out at a low percent. But on the ground this character doesn't have very many options against long range or projectile spamming characters other than one of their B attacks. And this character's recovery can be fine sometimes, but against smart opponents this character can be gimped quite easily
------

definitely underestimated (everyone seems to base thier opinion of neutral b spammers on wifi)

His d-air semi spike can kill a very low %. anyone without multiple mid-air jumps or a large horiztonal recovery will not survive being hit by it. (ike, marth, space animals, mario are particularly owned by this) His u-air can also kill off the top beyond 70% if the enemy doesnt dodge it properly. b-air is stronger than average, f-air can WOP at low %, but not really a kill method.

against projectile spamming, his side-b has super high prioroty during the hop that goes through every projectile in the game (not sure about dins fire though...)

his recovery is awesome... but its ungimpable. all of his recoveries cover huge distances and can attack out of them.

So it cant be him :(

otherwise Zelda seems to fit it pretty much perfectly.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Ness spike is the strongest in the game at low percents. At high percents, Ganon's is a bit stronger,but low percent kills is what spikes are for :chuckle:

ForteEscape

Smash Cadet
I'm so tempted to say Marth just because it says he has a good aerial game, but I know it's wrong.

I'd say Wario

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Yes I'm sure

It's been tested that at 0%, Ness' spike has 7 stage builder blocks of hitstun compared to a lot of other people's spikes that shoot someone approximately 4-5 blocks.

If you check out project vertical, Ness' spike water spikes like a few percent after Ganon.

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
WhatwhatWHHAATTT??!!?! (owl from sword in the stone anyone?)

First, let's all remember that these 'hints' are usually overgeneralized, contain red herrings, and are extremely vague. The character does NOT have to personify a hinted attribute, rather, they merely have to exhibit it only somewhat. The being said, let us turn to the stated plausible possibilities:

Luigi (most likely IMO)
Wario
Ness
Jigglypuff
Zelda
ZSS
Ike (though he's not exactly underrated)
NOT Olimar (he is NOT underrated, his ground game is AMAZING)
Anyone else I happened to forget about...

The first 3 are probably most likely (even though I personally don't think the hint really applies to Ness, if for some reason you're interested in why please see my posts a page or so back). But then, like a revelation from the video game heavens, epiphany dost struketh me.

Oh...my...gawd.....its Yoshi.

Next week's character will be a fun one to talk about. Underestimated by many, this character has a devastating aerial game that will surprise you when it takes you out at a low percent. But on the ground this character doesn't have very many options against long range or projectile spamming characters other than one of their B attacks. And this character's recovery can be fine sometimes, but against smart opponents this character can be gimped quite easily.
Fun to talk about: Check. Its f****** yoshi man, god****.
Underestimated: UBER check. Yoshi, next to DK, has been the most underrated character throughout the Smash series.
Devastating Aerial Game: Check. Uair is absolutely beastly, fair spikes, nair kills. bair and dair are great for combos. Not to mention the extensive power of his downb.
Poor vs projectiles with B exception: Check. Yoshi is a great defensive character (THE MAN/THING CANT GET SHIELD STABBED!!), however, this style is completely negated by the likes of Pit and TL. The B move exception has two options:
1. SideB, Egg Roll. Fast with decent priority that cancels most projectiles. However, there are ofcourse exceptions, with explosives still tearing it apart.
2. UpB, Egg Throw. A solid projectile and great for edgeguarding, and canceling edgehops with UpB is still possible. However, it's a bit slow to come out compared to other projectiles. So while it's a good response to spammers, it won't be able to beat every character's projectile game.
Fine recovery....: Check. In most cases, Yoshi's recovery has been drastically improved from Melee. No DJC and the new UpB buff give Yoshi more options when returning to the stage. A good Yoshi will save his second jump after using extensive UpB's; its SA frames are very much still there as well.
....but can be gimped: Uber Check. This is Yoshi afterall. There's only so much he can do to counter good edgeguarding.

So whatd'ya think? Although the SBR has taken a staunch 'overpowered-character-only' approach, the notion of a 'fun character to talk about' suggests this next character can be an anomaly to the rule and surprise everyone. However, it is the SBR, so it very well may just be Wario (HE'S NOT UNDERRATED; HE'S GOOD AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT. IF YOU'VE PLAYED THE GAME JUST A BIT THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS).

10char

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
The more and more this goes on, the more and more I am convinced it is Ness. He was my first choice and he still remains to be so.
The people saying Wario are *******. Wario players can't sit there and try to bike gimp you.
Wario's aerials are not beast. Wario's Forward Smash is his best kill move, and it gives him a decent ground game. And his recovery is not easy to gimp.

There are technically many people it could be, but it is probably Ness.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
Im gonna guess Kirby. His aerial game is awesome, and the only attack that can deal with spammers is his Up-B. Zelda doesnt fit because she can use Nyaru's Love to stop spammers.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
um, that's exactly why zelda's DOES fit...or am I missing a spammable B attack that she can use to stop them. (side B doesn't stop spammers, it simply prevents them from starting if you get it out first ;) )

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
Hm.

Yoshi does sound pretty good except for the "Devastating aerial game". If Yoshi's aerial game is devastating then I'd be inclined to take on Wario too. Except for maybe his fair spike, one thing he has over Wario.

I'm tempted to guess at the heavy hitters like Gdorf, Ike, or Bowser what with the "Devastating" and "KO at low %". Toon Link? I'm at a loss at further guesses other than Wario, but I'm starting to think that his aerial game is good but not "Devastating" and "KO at low %", like the hint implies. Devastating aerial and low %? I'm thinking Gdorf, strange as it is to say. His Dark Dive is pretty gimpable if you just snag the ledge or spike him.

Wow this one is a toughie.

The people saying Wario are *******.
Yeah, you're just a troll.

Vaul

Smash Apprentice
Hm.

Yoshi does sound pretty good except for the "Devastating aerial game". If Yoshi's aerial game is devastating then I'd be inclined to take on Wario too. Except for maybe his fair spike, one thing he has over Wario.
Yoshi's uair is now one of the strongest in the game (behind zelda's and ike's and whatnot). No lag on contact, no lag on landing, kills at obscenely low %, and has more priority than G&W's key. Whoa.

Nair kills too. So does downB.

As you said, fair packs mad heat...solid spike.

Yoshi's dair and bair are devastating not in the KO sense, but in the combo sense. Both moves are GREAT multihitters that put on massive shield pressure and can be autocanceled. Bair has obscene range and priority now. Dair (the flutter kick) is as crazy as ever.

With the exception of Wario's dair and fair, I think Yoshi is able to match/go beyond Wario in the air. Plus, remember, its just a 'hint'. Nothing is absolute, its all generalization.

Blue sHell

Smash Journeyman
Lol, awesome, it's finally Wario next update. I can't wait.

Hope you guys describe him to his full potential and not just to weaknesses. Key up on the Wario boards for more info.

EDIT: Just read a couple of people's guesses and I'm amazed everyone didn't immediately point at Wario. Underestimated to the max, lol.

Smash Apprentice
I've gotta guess Marth.

Edit: Nevermind, he isn't underestimated. Actually, it could be Wario, but his recovery is hard to gimp. He's also fun to talk about.

Top Bottom