• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Back Room Weekly Character Discussions! FINAL UPDATES: Ness + Lucas. All done!!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Except Samus has HORRIBLE projectiles.
Horrible projectiles still gives her a better long-range game than a lot of the cast, that have no projectiles, or just medium-range ones. I'm looking at the list of characters left .... Samus' long-range beats, IMO: Marth, Wario, DK, ICs, Kirby, Luigi, CF, ZSS, Bowser, Ike, Jiggs, PT, Sonic, and Mario. That's a good amount... and I think I'm being rather generous, ex. to skip Olimar whose "projectile" is medium-range... and has bizarre properties.

That being said, I'd call Samus' long-range game "decent", but not necessarily "strong" as in the hint. I feel more worried at a distance from Yoshi, as those eggs are freaky and sporadic and difficult to avoid; with Samus I don't have much problem avoiding the projectiles at my own approach pace.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
PROTIP: Samus's missiles are meant for set-ups, not neccesarily damaging. Missile cancelling is still in, folks.

In other news, I think Ice Blocks have like the 2nd highest priority out of all projectiles. Shame they're knocked back by like, everything.

AlexX

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or do people seem to be guessing Lucario for every update regardless of how similar or dissimilar it is to him?

That said, I'm beginning to lean towards one of the Mother boys, most likely Ness of the two since his airgame is better. Ever since the infinite Marth has on them was discovered, people have been throwing them in the bottom tiers and generally going overboard with making them out to be terrible, when in reality I could see Ness in mid tier (and Lucas I could actually see making high, depending on how problematic his flaws prove themselves to be...).

Griffard

Smash Ace
Is it just me, or do people seem to be guessing Lucario for every update regardless of how similar or dissimilar it is to him?

That said, I'm beginning to lean towards one of the Mother boys, most likely Ness of the two since his airgame is better. Ever since the infinite Marth has on them was discovered, people have been throwing them in the bottom tiers and generally going overboard with making them out to be terrible, when in reality I could see Ness in mid tier (and Lucas I could actually see making high, depending on how problematic his flaws prove themselves to be...).
definitely agree with everything you said. I started out maining Lucas, and I was doing well, I was just annoyed by his playstyle and bad aerials. He has so many useful tricks though, that it seems like he has to be at least high mid. i know nothing about any matchups though, so don't hate me for that.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Yes, Lucas is HIGHLY underestimated!

Lucas is one of my best characters (and also two of my friends' best character) and if I last recall, he's considered the worst character.
He's E-Rank. That means he's virtually unused in tournaments. He's also not even at the bottom of E-Rank. I believe Link is. >.>

Shök

Smash Champion
I'm speechless, SP.

this was a great hint!
I have no Idea who it is, but I might guess later.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero

Her game is actually pretty good when used properly.

Except everyone else's is better when used properly.
There is a reason she is considered bottom tier.

You don't understand.
I cannot help it if you are not understanding my point.
Obviously I am not saying a projectile=/= long range game. it is, what I am saying is that the definition of along range game is not necessarily held by such a strict definition.

Ah well whatever.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
I hope they actually give a character a bad review for once!

Unfortunately anything I write pales in comparison to Overswarm, so I just hope he is an angreh man on the day of the write up =P

phosphorus

Smash Cadet
Probably one of the physic brats. Ness most likely. it could be lucario as well, but I thought Lucario seemed great when I first saw him in action, so I dunno

Nitrix

Smash Ace
For those who say Ness:

He does not have a hard time getting KO's. His b-air is awesome, and his b-throw kills around 110%,

For those who say Lucario:

The character is supposed to be underestimated. Lucario is already doing well in tourneys.

There is a reason she is considered bottom tier

Are you really going to try to talk about tiers when brawl hasn't even been out for a year yet?

Professional Idiot

Smash Apprentice

This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
I was thinking Ness too, with the long range ability (PK Thunder is so freaking awesome) and sequential aerial attacks, but it's definitely not a Mother's boy. Ness' B-Air and PK Thunder 2 can be repeatedly used and retain their KO potential. Lucas' ridiculous smashes also don't require moderation.

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm almost positive this one's Samus. Only her F-smash, her D-tilt, and her B-air will kill someone, and you still have to get them to higher percentages. She has a great aerial game.
About the aerial game... can you back that up? I've been watching Samus vids trying to figure out if her aerial game is really "awesome" and "can combo if you know how to do it well". I've seen combos with Fair, both to ground attacks and to her up-B.. but that's it. Her Uair looks like it should be able to combo but I haven't seen it done, I suspect it might not really be ideal for it. Her Dair is a spike, but it's a small tricky hitbox, afaict.

If her Nair, Bair, Dair can't combo, and her Uair can barely combo, then how does this satisfy the hint about her "awesome aerials"? Maybe her aerials are decent, but I wouldn't say they overshadow her close-range game to the degree suggested by the hint. It just doesn't fit right. Yoshi fits better.

Ness has no trouble KOing, and doesn't need to keep his KO attacks fresh. That could only really apply to his bat, which isn't used for racking up damage anyway. But his long-range and aerial games are admittedly fantastic.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
The clue fits Peach at least:

This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible.
Yeah, Peach is currently placing upper-low tier in most people's personal tier lists at the moment. Not to mention some acute nerfing she received from the Melee-Brawl transition - many consider her a poor character.

But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future.
This is completly vague and can be said about any single character on the roster. Peach is no exception, if not more fitting.

With a strong long range game
This would be a slight strike against her. Peach has a definite medium-ranged projectile. Though, being the vague clue that it is, it could be broadening the definition of "long-range" a wee bit. In any case, "strong" would perfectly describe turnips. They're not the best, but counting in glide tossing, z dropping, edge guarding use, and the like, they're pretty great projectiles.

and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest.
Everyone knows Peach is awesome in the air - the thing that catches my eye though is the combo thing. Her aerials are amazing, specifically the dair which can usually be done at least twice and then followed by an nair. Juggling with the uair is also nice. Peach easily "keeps up with the rest."

This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well.
Yeah, unless you space correctly with turnips, her smashes are kinda...:urg:
But the trick is to ALWAYS space with turnips - then the smashes are actually quite useful.

Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.
A lot of the cast can live to freakish percentages if the fair or fsmash was used willy-nilly - moderation is the key to KOs with her.

So yeah, I'm not saying it's sure to be her. But the clues fit - maybe some other characters better. But I look forward to Peach being the next update. :bee:

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Im going to say Lucario. And no bias here.
To me he fits like a glove.
Underestimated-check
Long range game-check
aerials that can combo- check
undermined shortrange-check
Struggles to get Ko's at first- check (aura boost then takes care of that)

then again Zamus is really close too. But my first guess is Lucario.
-t2

Shök

Smash Champion
OK, who's left?

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Fox
Ice Climbers
Ike
Kirby
Lucas
Mario
Olimar
Peach
Pikachu
Pit
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Wario
Yoshi
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Luigi
Marth
Ness
Sonic
Wolf

The Hint:
This character is yet another underestimated one, who on the surface seems to be horrible. But in reality, with enough persistance, this character can become a force to reckon with in the future. With a strong long range game and an awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right, this character can keep up with the rest. This character's short range game, while at first may seem to be the character's weakest attribute, is actually quite strong if you know how to use it well. Although, the character struggles to get KOs if you don't keep the few KO attacks fresh.

Who is underestimated?

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Fox
Ice Climbers
Ike
Kirby
Lucas
Mario
Peach
Pikachu
Pit
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Yoshi
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Ness
Sonic

Who looks horrible on the surface?

Bowser
Donkey Kong
Ike
Peach
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Yoshi
Sheik
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Ness

Who actually has projectiles?

Bowser
Peach
Pokémon Trainer
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Yoshi
Sheik
Luigi
Ness

Who has actually a decent proj game?

Peach-Turnipppzzzz!
Pokémon Trainer-3 kinds, so not bad
Samus- lots, but they are weak.
Zero Suit Samus-Paralyza
Yoshi-Egg Spam
Sheik-Neeedddlllzzz
Ness-PK whatever

A good aerial game?

Peach
Samus
Yoshi
Sheik
Ness

Short range looks bad at first?

Peach
Samus
Yoshi
Shiek

They all struggle to get KO's if they don't keep their attacks fresh, so those are my Guesses.

1st Guesses:
Peach
Samus

2nd Guesses:
Shiek
Yoshi

waks

Smash Journeyman
Might be Lucario, or Pit.

Samus doesnt really come across to me as a character with good long range game. Power missile nerf ftl.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
THats some pretty good list SHoK's got there lol.
Well, he did leave out "awesome aerial game that can open up plenty of combos if you know how to do it right."

I honestly don't know much about Samus or Peach, but I feel that this part of the hint that he ignored could make a difference.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I'm guessing Yoshi, but I want to start going to the threads to talk about the character. I know a lot about many characters. How do I know what character they are discussing, and where it's taking place? The summaries link to the discussion after it's already done.

exidid

Smash Journeyman
It's Peach. Please BE PEACH!!!!1111

She's underestimated because most people place her low, and they don't know a **** about her.
She looks bad on the surface because she lost her amazing D-smash and FC. That makes people think she's bad.
She has a good long range game because of TURNIPZ.
Short range looks bad at first until you discover how to place your smashes with turnips and so.
She has a really good aerial game because she can float, and that places her in a difficult position for the opponent
She has plenty aerial combos with her down air, really.
She struggles with getting KOs.

I have been waiting for this.

*gets prepared for a horrible disappointment*

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
It's probably Samus....she has one of the best projectile games in the game. Intelligent use of missiles and super missiles will keep the enemy at bay with an occasional well timed charged shot. A seasoned veteran will make excellent use of the grapple beam (SH-grapple beam=stops many approaches) at mid-range. Short range, she does struggle, but d-tilt and d-smash are good options.

xxmaliciousxx

Smash Cadet
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHarris
"Ganon is a beast. When Brawl was first released he was considered by most to be one of the worst characters in the game. Shortly after release, however, several people discovered that a few aerials could be auto canceled with perfect timing and some of his ground moves had IASA frames. This helped Ganon's speed, but he still shines strongest in one category: power.

Ganon hits like a freakin bus full of fat people. Nearly every move is a capable killer and it only takes a few hits to get your opponent to the point of imminent doom. If you can land an auto canceled d-air and follow with an aerial you can get your opponent up to over 40% before they even touch you. Even Ganon's dash attack is a powerful kill move, destroying lighter opponents at around 80% fresh. His power combined with his far reach can catch quicker opponents off guard and send them flying. There's nothing quite like kicking Snake in the chest with a stretched out f-tilt and quietly whispering, "this is sparta" to yourself.

Although we all harp on Ganon's quickness, he isn't as slow as you'd think. His n-air comes out very fast and can catch aerial attackers off guard. His neutral jab, d-tilt, and f-tilt are all surprisingly quick and powerful. His up smash has IASA frames and can quickly cancel into a jab or a d-tilt. His real weakness lies in his running speed and the wind down on several moves. That is why only an expert can effectively wield Ganon. If you completely whiff an f-smash, a d-smash, or you fail to auto-cancel a move - you're screwed.

All in all, I'd say Ganon rules. That may sound a bit general for a summary, but we're talking about Old Man Winter here. He's certainly not top tier, but who cares? He's a badass."

Dam n Straight.

Big Red

Smash Journeyman
I think it is Yoshi or Peach.

Sheik doesn't have a good enough aerial combo game, and samus's projectiles are crap, although I guess Zair could be counted as long range.

Hope its the dino...

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
After reading the hint again, most definitely Samus. Peach and Yoshi's range games aren't as good as Samus, and they are better in close range fighting. Try the cstick down dash with Peach, it is really good.

Top Bottom