• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 VS. Brawl: Graphics Comparisons

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
No, it applies. For example, we're talking about how the polygons in the models have all increast vastly. But then you go and say

Ignoring the creeper talk, ALL of the characters have had increased polygons, and Zamus has had this happen over ALL of her, not just her bottom.

Everyone else has accepted this and moved on, but you (and @ Gameboi834 Gameboi834 ) are obsessing over the fact she has breasts and buttocks. We get it. She has them.

Move. On.
This so much.

OH MY GOD DID MIC JUST POST I"VE NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE

eep.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
No, it applies. For example, we're talking about how the polygons in the models have all increast vastly. But then you go and say

Ignoring the creeper talk, ALL of the characters have had increased polygons, and Zamus has had this happen over ALL of her, not just her bottom.

Everyone else has accepted this and moved on, but you (and @ Gameboi834 Gameboi834 ) are obsessing over the fact she has breasts and buttocks. We get it. She has them.

Move. On.
True, but I chosed to focus on her booty because I like that part the best. Would you say the same about a zoom-in on Fox's fur or Mario's nose?

Besides, there's nothing creepy about it. Just "inappropriate" for some.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
True, but I chosed to focus on her booty because I like that part the best. Would you say the same about a zoom-in on Fox's fur or Mario's nose?

You just joined yesterday, and you're sick obsession with ass is pathetic. How old are you?

Round here, we act like adults. Or at least, try to.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

It's both creepy and inappropriate - and if you recognize that it is inappropriate, why do you continue to post about it? You know fine well, as does everybody else, that the objectification of women is both offensive and frowned upon. Enough people have told you they have problems with the content of your posts for you to realise that this board is not the place for you to post about your sexual preferences.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Yes? I think it's lovely - that why I said so.
It's both creepy and inappropriate - and if you recognize that it is inappropriate, why do you continue to post about it? You know fine well, as does everybody else, that the objectification of women is both offensive and frowned upon. Enough people have told you they have problems with the content of your posts for you to realise that this board is not the place for you to post about your sexual preferences.

Not to mention your sig is offensive.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
So...
a) I wanna clarify that I understand the problem with sexual objectification and know that some may take my light jokes offensively; if so, I apologize.
b) Maybe I'm just a newb in graphical fidelity, but personality I can't see the difference in the models on 3DS or Wii U. Any significant difference, at least, I can see the difference between textures but not things such as polygonal count.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The smallness of the screenshots compared to the Wii U ones don't help in that regard.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't understand why everyone is acting immature, surprisingly, I am not referring to aBBYS. Her character model changed from Brawl to Smash 4, if you don't want to discuss these specific changes, don't perpetuate the issue by singling him/her out. Simple.

That being said, I am in love with Zero-Suit's new model. I am not going to say that it isn't partly due to her "size" increase.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
What I can say is that the extra attention they've put into things such as facial detail and animation. They're a lot more lively, similar to how they were in Melee. I particularly love how animated they've made Charizard.

Morbi

Scavenger
What I can say is that the extra attention they've put into things such as facial detail and animation. They're a lot more lively, similar to how they were in Melee. I particularly love how animated they've made Charizard.
Precisely, that was one of the very first things that most people noticed about Dedede. I personally love what they did with Little Mac, it really sold the character for me.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm not going to continue this here, but these kind of comments are really unnecessary, you know. You don't become more "mature" because you keep ignoring sex appeal on the character models. It has nothing to do with being mature or childish, it's about interest.
No, it's about antisocial behavior and self control. Contrary to popular belief, girls DO exist on the internet and, compared to the Brawl days, there are a lot more girls on this site than there used to be. A lot of them find it really off putting when guys don't shut up about boobs and butts. Chances are you wouldn't talk like this around a group of girls in real life so it's good practice not to do it here. Also, nobody honestly wants to hear about what turns you on. Imagine if someone came in here and wouldn't shut up about Fox or Lucario and made it more than obvious that they were a furry. Unless that's your thing too, you'd probably be creeped out and feel uncomfortable. That's pretty much what you were doing with ZSS. You have a libido? Congrats, so do most people but a vast majority of people don't want to talk about it with total strangers and, even if they do, there's a place for that and it certainly isn't in this thread.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
No, it's about antisocial behavior and self control. Contrary to popular belief, girls DO exist on the internet and, compared to the Brawl days, there are a lot more girls on this site than there used to be. A lot of them find it really off putting when guys don't shut up about boobs and butts. Chances are you wouldn't talk like this around a group of girls in real life so it's good practice not to do it here. Also, nobody honestly wants to hear about what turns you on. Imagine if someone came in here and wouldn't shut up about Fox or Lucario and made it more than obvious that they were a furry. Unless that's your thing too, you'd probably be creeped out and feel uncomfortable. That's pretty much what you were doing with ZSS. You have a libido? Congrats, so do most people but a vast majority of people don't want to talk about it with total strangers and, even if they do, there's a place for that and it certainly isn't in this thread.
How do you know - have you actually asked them, or is it just your assumption?

Chances are 100 % that most of my friends IRL are women, and I talk just like this all the time. They think it's funny, and some of them even pick up and keep talking about it. From what you're writing, it seems you have a stereotypcial image of women being offensed by boob and butt talk - that's definitely not true in general.

I'm not a furry, but I wouldn't have anything against that. I even read that one of the moderators here is a yaoi fangirl - which is perfectly fine by me, too. See, the difference between you and me is that I accept other people for what they are - you don't. You see everyting as offensive where I don't make a big deal of it - it's just fiction.

Morbi

Scavenger
Fox; that is a character model that I vastly prefer in Smash 4. His Brawl model was quite repugnant, it honestly made me want to avoid using the character, this time around though, I might use him a little more. It makes me very excited to see the changes made to Wolf and Falco.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Fox; that is a character model that I vastly prefer in Smash 4. His Brawl model was quite repugnant, it honestly made me want to avoid using the character, this time around though, I might use him a little more. It makes me very excited to see the changes made to Wolf and Falco.
Fox is certainly improved, though I would kind of like SLIGHTLY better textures. Nitpicky, I know, but I just think a small bit of tweaking would make him look worlds better.

Also, I noticed something very important about Samus' heels:

"THEY ARE SO IMPRACTICAL" they said.
"THEY'RE ONLY FOR SEX APPEAL" they said.

Also, some of these animations look BEAUTIFUL, even in GIF form:

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
My favourite thing about the difference between the Brawl and SSB4 models is that this time around the characters look and feel like they actually are th characters. For example, Link in Brawl didn't feel like Link - he had no emotion, no facial expressions... nothing, really. Now, thanks to the improved expression, characters react like the should and do in their own games. Even Mario gives off a Mario vibe, whereas in Brawl he felt like this serious, middle aged man.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
My favourite thing about the difference between the Brawl and SSB4 models is that this time around the characters look and feel like they actually are th characters. For example, Link in Brawl didn't feel like Link - he had no emotion, no facial expressions... nothing, really. Now, thanks to the improved expression, characters react like the should and do in their own games. Even Mario gives off a Mario vibe, whereas in Brawl he felt like this serious, middle aged man.
Yes, he did. Characters had lots of expressions in Brawl, too. I have to say I don't agree with this at all.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Let's drop the talk about Samus' figure, alright? We can talk about Samus' body without being creepy about it. Continuing with it will result in warnings/infractions.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Let's drop the talk about Samus' figure, alright? We can talk about Samus' body without being creepy about it. Continuing with it will result in warnings/infractions.
I wasn't talking about her body in case you're referring to my post. I just noticed her heels have yet another use I never picked up on. They have a mechanism that helps her balance when crouching. The heel seems to extend and rotate depending on her position.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Fox is certainly improved, though I would kind of like SLIGHTLY better textures. Nitpicky, I know, but I just think a small bit of tweaking would make him look worlds better.

Also, I noticed something very important about Samus' heels:

"THEY ARE SO IMPRACTICAL" they said.
"THEY'RE ONLY FOR SEX APPEAL" they said.
Oh wow... that's actually pretty cool. As you said, I really like how much life they've breathed into the characters this time around. One of the things that upset me the most about Brawl's final reveal was that they got rid of a lot of the "reactions" that characters had in the battlefield. If you look at a lot of the Brawl development screen shots, the characters have a lot more personality and actually seem to be paying attention to each other in combat. For whatever reason, they got rid of it but I'm glad they brought it back full force here. Characters like Dedede are just a joy to look at in action and I really like there's a lot bigger range of emotions for all the characters too, whether it's through their facial expressions or their body language. You can tell that a lot of heart is being put into this game with all the little details that would go unnoticed in battle but are still cool to point out in screens like the pic you posted because the developers know fans will do that.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I wasn't talking about her body in case you're referring to my post. I just noticed her heels have yet another use I never picked up on. They have a mechanism that helps her balance when crouching. The heel seems to extend and rotate depending on her position.
I'm talking to everyone. That's fine though unless you are a heel fanatic lol. I'm referring to focusing Samus' breasts and butt in a sexual context and continuing to sensualize/rave about it. We get it and its time to move on.

Personal, I was more drawn to her mole on the right side of her chin.

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
I hope Snake's back. His figure certainly rivals ZSS'. Personally I think he has the better of the two.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Wut? They look the same...

Unless your humor is too subtle for me.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
It hit puberty! :V

Also, I think you missed my ZSS comparison.
Sorry, I've been away for Easter and had no wifi for a few days.
Added your ZSS screens to the OP.

Also, about the Skyloft thing, not only have I lost my copy of Skyward Sword, but I realized that I have no capture device, so I won't be able to get any in-game shots of Skyloft.

If you put up more Zelda comparisons, this wouldn't happen xD
Trust me, I've tried my absolute best, but Sakurai has kind of screwed us over with the Zelda screens it seems. Until someone digs up a comparable pic of the day, or Zelda shows up in another character's official screens, it looks like we won't see many more comparisons than we currently have.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Sorry, I've been away for Easter and had no wifi for a few days.
Added your ZSS screens to the OP.

Also, about the Skyloft thing, not only have I lost my copy of Skyward Sword, but I realized that I have no capture device, so I won't be able to get any in-game shots of Skyloft.

Trust me, I've tried my absolute best, but Sakurai has kind of screwed us over with the Zelda screens it seems. Until someone digs up a comparable pic of the day, or Zelda shows up in another character's official screens, it looks like we won't see many more comparisons than we currently have.

Um... are you sure about that? Zelda has more screenshots than any of the characters. At least before the press kits were released.
http://smashboards.com/threads/zelda-image-gallery-update-april-12.344750/

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much a series of events that makes a compelling argument for why I never go on Reddit or 4chan...
Because there you actually need arguments and can't fall back on authority to end the discussion when you feel like it or run out of arguments. And no, I don't mean to start anything now, I just had to say it because I strongly believe that's how it is. It's just my opinion, nothing else.

Back on topic, several of the assist trophies are just ripped out straight from Brawl, like this one:

and several others like the one from Sin & Punishment. Isn't that a bit underwhelming, considering some of stages ALSO are ripped straight from Brawl in terms of graphics?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Uh, pretty sure the stages aren't ripped from Brawl. Even Halberd looks to have seen improvement.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Uh, pretty sure the stages aren't ripped from Brawl. Even Halberd looks to have seen improvement.
Apart from being rendered in HD? I fail to see any difference with Halbard, Skyloft, Pyrosphere and other "Wii stages".

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus is also ripped straight from Wii, and then rendered in HD:

If this game isn't 1080p/60 fps, then these models are not very impressive.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
We still don't know exactly when all this footage was taken; for all we know they wanted to get footage prepared early on so they could focus on mechanics, content, and other administrative things. Also, programming is usually polished way before graphics/art assets are.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
We still don't know exactly when all this footage was taken; for all we know they wanted to get footage prepared early on so they could focus on mechanics, content, and other administrative things. Also, programming is usually polished way before graphics/art assets are.
Let's hope that's right. However, given the series history, I'm not sure. Melee had N64-like backgrounds, and Brawl didn't differ much in graphics compared to Melee for obvious reasons. Now this game has Wii-like backgrounds. I see a pattern in that they reuse backgrounds and some other elements from previous generations of hardware, and then make the main characters currentgen quality.

But with this game, even the playable characters are barely better than Wii models. :-/

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I see a pattern in that they reuse backgrounds and some other elements from previous generations of hardware, and then make the main characters currentgen quality.
Could be intentional, a stylistic choice.

But with this game, even the playable characters are barely better than Wii models. :-/
I think, if anything, the closer we get to launch the better the characters are gonna look. I'd be willing to bet on it.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
I very strongly disagree that the character models are "barely better" than Wii models. The comparisons are right there and I for one definitely see a noticeable, appreciated difference. Several Wii U games look prettier and I won't deny that, but still.

Regardless, that's just my opinion and honestly I doubt the game will look significantly better at launch. If you're not liking it so far, I'd say prepare to be disappointed about that particular aspect.

Top Bottom