• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 VS. Brawl: Graphics Comparisons

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
A question: Is Pit on the list or is he coming? I don't see him listed there, but I thought I saw people talking about him.
It seems we've forgotten about the poor chap!

If I can, I'll do him tomorrow.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Is it just me or is Kirby too big in this game? Like, really big.
I think I see what you mean. He definitely seem to have gotten a size increase:

Here he goes up to Samus' stomach, whereas in Brawl, he barely could reach her hip.

Even though he's crouched in the Brawl pic a bit, the Pikmin are now only about half Kirby's size, while in Brawl they were roughly the same height.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior

Here he goes up to Samus' stomach, whereas in Brawl, he barely could reach her hip.

Even though he's crouched in the Brawl pic a bit, the Pikmin are now only about half Kirby's size, while in Brawl they were roughly the same height.
The second comparison in particular is just baffling. Looks like his shoes got smaller as his body increased in size.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
The second comparison in particular is just baffling. Looks like his shoes got smaller as his body increased in size.
It really is, but I wouldn't put too much stock into that one. With Kirby facing left, his back is towards the camera, but he looks towards you for a small time during his wait animation, about half of which he crouches during, which cuts his already small size by quite a bit. That was a difficult pic to take, because I had to have Olimar jump at the right time, but then pause before the Pikmin followed him, so I couldn't get Kirby to be the right size to save my life.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

Not even on the subject of Kirby (though it does look like he got a little bigger), but oh my gosh the comparison of those Pikmin is insane. They look so much better than in Brawl! :O

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
The Olimar (and his pikmins) improvements are really great. To me they are the biggest leap of improvement, judging from these comparisons atleast.
And look at that, you managed to get every single character done pretty fast. Good work @ BigHairyFart BigHairyFart ! :seuss:

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
This confirms my theory that they didn't make Samus' breasts a lot bigger (marginally bigger at most, to the point where it's negligible), they just have more realistic modelling done to the suit, so that it's not like a second skin. They just look firmly fitted in now.

Anyway, the fight is on!

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
This confirms my theory that they didn't make Samus' breasts a lot bigger (marginally bigger at most, to the point where it's negligible), they just have more realistic modelling done to the suit, so that it's not like a second skin. They just look firmly fitted in now.

Anyway, the fight is on!

Pit looks a ton better, especially in the small details. His face hasn't really changed much, but his boots, rings, and wings all look a ton better. Those rings on his left arm especially look nice with the new glow effect.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Added Pit to the OP, so now we really are done with the veterans(until Sakurai confirms Ness, Jigglypuff, Falco and Captain Falcon, that is).
Any suggestions on what I should work on next?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
After seeing what the Wii U is capable of making my main man Donkey Kong look like in Tropical Freeze... well I'm not too impressed with this game. Especially with Donkey Kong.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Today's PotD is very relevant to people interested in this thread, I feel:

So it seems they are at the stage of development where they are focusing on fine tuning all of the graphics and animations, and just overall presentation. This might hint at an early Winter release rather than a late one. Here's to hoping that's true.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Today's PotD is very relevant to people interested in this thread, I feel:

So it seems they are at the stage of development where they are focusing on fine tuning all of the graphics and animations, and just overall presentation. This might hint at an early Winter release rather than a late one. Here's to hoping that's true.
Doesn't it kind of HAVE to be an early winter release? "Winter 2014" is pretty much limited to only December.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Doesn't it kind of HAVE to be an early winter release? "Winter 2014" is pretty much limited to only December.
I was brought up with a different perception of the seasons, actually!

However, regardless of that, Winter can mean November when it comes to game releases. That's when the bulk of Christmas titles come out.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I was brought up with a different perception of the seasons, actually!

However, regardless of that, Winter can mean November when it comes to game releases. That's when the bulk of Christmas titles come out.
I suppose that makes sense. I just hope it's not too close to Christmas so I can have a huge smashfest before people leave to see their families.

Added Battlefield, Final Destination, and Skyloft, as well as updated the look of the OP, as I've decided to move on to stages and even items. For the items, I just ran down all the items that this page states as recurring, so I have no idea which items have pictures or are even actually confirmed, so if anybody spots an error in the OP, please let me know immediately. Also, as my to-do list just got quite massive, I would like to openly request that any and all who are able to help out with the screens. For Brawl comparisons, you can do whatever you like, but if you lack a capture device like myself, you can use this application to convert the in-game snapshots into a viewable image format. Thank you all, and happy Smashing!

Last edited by a moderator:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
I think they increased the size of the smaller characters. Probably because of the small screen on the 3DS.

EDIT: And sometimes businesses use the seasons and Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4 interchangeably (often calling Q4 winter and stuff). Each quarter is 3 months. So I'd say the only possible months the Wii U version can come out are October, November and December.
If they mean the literal seasons Winter starts in the northern hemisphere on December 21st.

Last edited:

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
It makes sense they made the small characters bigger. I mean, compare Dedede to his Brawl one. He's much bigger. And Bowser and DK seem bigger as well. It all makes sense since Ridley can now be even bigger without looking off. ;)

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, those Ike comparisons are great! He looks so much better now!

Also, I did this recently elsewhere, but here's a little comparison for a newcomer, Rosalina!

I basically took a screenshot from Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World, and Smash Wii U, for comparison:

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
I just noticed how much better Ike's fingers look. I mean, he even has knuckles and fingernails now, big improvement over his white stubbs he had in brawl.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I just noticed how much better Ike's fingers look. I mean, he even has knuckles and fingernails now, big improvement over his white stubbs he had in brawl.
Yeah, Ike looks way better(as do most characters) than in brawl. But his face looks disturbing in the pic where he's resting his sword on his shoulder/. Everything looks too blocky...

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, Ike looks way better(as do most characters) than in brawl. But his face looks disturbing in the pic where he's resting his sword on his shoulder/. Everything looks too blocky...
I think that was a design choice to make him look tougher by making his face chiseled. (spelling?) If you are referring to his shoulder-pad or sword, I believe that is how they are intended to look. The only real problem I see is his scarf.

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
God I just love the fact that Ike is in the style of his most recent (kinda) appearance. I always loved the feeling of growth and changed between the two Radiance games and now I'm getting that feeling again seeing his chances side by side in Smash.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
King Dedede's Brawl model pales in comparison to his SSB4 one... literally. (He's brighter)

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
After seeing what the Wii U is capable of making my main man Donkey Kong look like in Tropical Freeze... well I'm not too impressed with this game. Especially with Donkey Kong.
Remember the fur effect in Tropical Freeze was one of their larger hurdles and the game focuses solely on him so it makes sense a large portion of the dev time and engine would focus on him. Fur and hair are very hard to make look nice in video games sometimes.

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
I think that was a design choice to make him look tougher by making his face chiseled. (spelling?) If you are referring to his shoulder-pad or sword, I believe that is how they are intended to look. The only real problem I see is his scarf.
I get that that's what they seem to be going for, but it's just the one picture that looks odd to me.
In this one, his chin, cheekbones, nose and ears all look very not-natural.

In this picture, however, he looks fine.

Now this may be partly due to the camera angle, or maybe the first picture was earlier in development than the second, so his face got more redefined later on.
I'm not saying that it really bugs me, or that I don't like the model, I just noticed it and thought I would point it out.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Yeah, those Ike comparisons are great! He looks so much better now!

Also, I did this recently elsewhere, but here's a little comparison for a newcomer, Rosalina!

I basically took a screenshot from Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World, and Smash Wii U, for comparison:

God, Galaxy's graphics were amazing, especially for the Wii.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
It'd be neat to see a Halberd stage comparison; I'm curious to see if anything was updated.

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
It'd be neat to see a Halberd stage comparison; I'm curious to see if anything was updated.
It didn't look all that different if I recall correctly, but that's just off the top of my head.

I really do hope/wish that they would completely revamp the appearance of past stages (like, Mario Kart 8 style). Some of those stages are going to look very aged...

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
It didn't look all that different if I recall correctly, but that's just off the top of my head.

I really do hope/wish that they would completely revamp the appearance of past stages (like, Mario Kart 8 style). Some of those stages are going to look very aged...
I didn't notice differences either... which is why a comparison is necessary!

LightningVance

Smash Apprentice
Maybe with the reveal today we'll have a Charizard/Greninja esque reveal. Bring on the HD veterans!

Top Bottom