• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 4 VS. Brawl: Graphics Comparisons

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
-Pikachu: He's dropped a few pounds. Really though, he know looks exactly how he does in the latest Pokémon games.
LOL! Do you have side-to-side comparison shots to prove this? :-)

Yeah, there are details everywhere, but the difference in polygon count is minimal. The characters look almost exactly like they did in Brawl, save for crisper textures and being rendered in HD.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

The older Pokémon games/material had a fatter Pikachu. But the latest versions just have skinnier one, which they made him look like for Smash 4. The render beside the Smash 4 render is from Pokédex 3D.

Also, the difference in polygon count is actually quite huge. Even with a HD texture hack applied to Brawl, it pales in comparison to Smash 4:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

The older Pokémon games/material had a fatter Pikachu. But the latest versions just have skinnier one, which they made him look like for Smash 4. The render beside the Smash 4 render is from Pokédex 3D.

Also, the difference in polygon count is actually quite huge. Even with a HD texture hack applied to Brawl, it pales in comparison to Smash 4:

Dat sunset on the Marth pic

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman

You're right - it WAS plumper! :-O I have to say, I think it looks better now, with some flab shed.

About the Marth comparison, I don't see a big difference in polygon count. If you look closely, you can tell that his upper arm is a bit less blocky, but that's it as far as I can see. The rest is lightning, a different facial expression and different textures.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
You're right - it WAS plumper! :-O I have to say, I think it looks better now, with some flab shed.

About the Marth comparison, I don't see a big difference in polygon count. If you look closely, you can tell that his upper arm is a bit less blocky, but that's it as far as I can see. The rest is lightning, a different facial expression and different textures.
Look at his hair, his back elbow, the sword hilt, and his front sleeve. All are way more cleaned up.

Edit: also look at the back ground, there is WAY more detail in the Wii U version.

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Fist time seeing these, but amazing job on getting them as similar as possible! I didn't realize how huge a difference there was between Brawl and this game, but my god, it's so much prettier! Look at Link's hair!

I also really like how, instead of the ultra realistic approach they tried to take in Brawl, Smash 4 is looking brighter and far more colorful. It is much more visually vibrant. Even some of the textures lose a bit of definition, but for some reason it makes everything look far better. Bowser's hair is a great example of this.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Look at his hair, his back elbow, the sword hilt, and his front sleeve. All are way more cleaned up.

Edit: also look at the back ground, there is WAY more detail in the Wii U version.
I don't think those specific details are the results of a vastly increased polygon count, though - but rather lightning and sharper textures.

Look at Sheik's hair of all people. Super realistic.
It's still pretty blocky IMO. :-P

Now look at this:

The only character who got a serious increase in polygons in Zero Suit Samus! :-D

Her hair looks much better too, but that's because of resolution and textures, not polygons.

RODO

Smash Ace
I don't think those specific details are the results of a vastly increased polygon count, though - but rather lightning and sharper textures.

Now look at this:

The only character who got a serious increase in polygons in Zero Suit Samus! :-D

Her hair looks much better too, but that's because of resolution and textures, not polygons.
Her butt is much more round is all I'm getting from this lol

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Her butt is much more round is all I'm getting from this lol
Exactly. And that's because they put a lot more polygons to her butt this time around. If they just stretched it with the same amount of polys it would look blocky, but it doesn't - they increased the polygon count and the amount of lovely, female butt fat.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman

Now look at this:

The textures can only look sharper because of increased polygon count... without extra polygons, it would still be jagged. ZSS on the other hand was much smoother to begin with, so the extra polygons don't show so much as the enhanced shaders and textures, maybe you have the two backwards? And dynamic hair is only possible through more polygons, the flat hair is caused by low polygon count, while the volumetric hair is because it is actually multiple strands of hair.

Honestly I'm beginning to think you don't really care about polygons at all and are really just rating them by how "pretty" they look...

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
The textures can only look sharper because of increased polygon count... without extra polygons, it would still be jagged. ZSS on the other hand was much smoother to begin with, so the extra polygons don't show so much as the enhanced shaders and textures, maybe you have the two backwards? And dynamic hair is only possible through more polygons, the flat hair is caused by low polygon count, while the volumetric hair is because it is actually multiple strands of hair.

Honestly I'm beginning to think you don't really care about polygons at all and are really just rating them by how "pretty" they look...
Why not have the best of both worlds, eh? ;-D

Seriously though, are you sure about that? Because her hair is still a bit blocky like it was in Brawl.

Networker1

Smash Journeyman
Why not have the best of both worlds, eh? ;-D

Seriously though, are you sure about that? Because her hair is still a bit blocky like it was in Brawl.
I may not be explaining it well, but I'm sure what I mean is correct :p

Here is an example, Little Mac has low-poly hair, that is why it looks like a solid mass and isn't wavy at all. Toon Link or any Mario character are other good examples of this. (perhaps a better way to say it is that their hair is made from a single solid shape)

Marth, Shiek, and Link all have multiple shapes making up their hair, so it appears more realistic and flowing like actual hair. This requires a much higher polygon count to pull off, so while ZSS' hair may be slightly "blocky" in the front, that is because they combined multiple strands of hair into one shape (a lock of hair pretty much), to save effort on the Wii U's part of rendering all those hair physics. I'll admit that Marth has much better hair, but ZSS had a large improvement no doubt. Though honestly I think the biggest improvement was changing the bland, flat looking suit and adding all the color and lighting effects.

Morbi

Scavenger
One thing I noticed was Nintendo's trademark "attenuate detail and up the brightness and color to make everything look better than it actually is" on a plethora of characters. Mario/Luigi, Bowser, Zelda, Diddy Kong, etc.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
One thing I noticed was Nintendo's trademark "attenuate detail and up the brightness and color to make everything look better than it actually is" on a plethora of characters. Mario/Luigi, Bowser, Zelda, Diddy Kong, etc.
Your signature fits what your quote says well.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
The characters that I see the most change in are:

-Samus and ZSS for obvious reasons that Sakurai himself mostly covered.

-Peach: Her dress is less overloaded with detail and the colour pops out more. The front of her face is also not so round anymore and is a bit more elegantly rounded, making her look less like a porcelain doll.

-All realistic humans (generally just look much more realistic, eyes are generally not as anime-ish as Brawl).

-Sonic: Has been updated to look more like the style that they have been using in Sonic games since Sonic Unleashed. This also means he now has his trademark side mouth, and his quills don't move like spaghetti.

-Yoshi (I should do him soon): Stands upright, and looks a lot more bubbly proportion wise. His eyes are more dilated too, making him look more adorable.

-Pikachu: He's dropped a few pounds. Really though, he know looks exactly how he does in the latest Pokémon games.

-King Dedede: Less cutesy, and his design is more based off of the Kirby anime now. Much more expressive too.

-Bowser: Stands upright, looks overall a bit sharper and more menacing despite the more colourful textures.
Eyes not as anime-ish doesn't feel right for characters like Marth, IMO.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Ahem....

Cammy, Orchid, Ivy. Brawl ZSS was alright, but this Samus has truly joined the ranks of the fighting game femme fatale elite.
She has the boobs of Orchid and the butt of Ivy!

NamBan, God bless you!

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
Im probably in the minority but I don't think the game looks that great. Sometimes it looks borderline ugly. Of course I'm talking about screens. In motion is looks great but that's because everything is moving fast and youre generally further away from the action to even notice. Maybe SM3DW or Mario Kart U spoiled me but Smash is a really ugly game at times. The jump in visuals from Mario Kart Wii and Mario Galaxy to their respective Wii U titles is amazing. Smash Bros on the other hand suffers from a lot of problems. Low poly models (in a fighting game? Weird), Terrible clipping just about everywhere, textures are hit or miss, it either looks really good (Substitute) or really bad (Diddy Kong) and the stages aren't uniform. Mario Galaxy is the best looking stage in my opinion (probably because they ripped assets) and Sky Temple is the worst looking stage for the same reason.

It's a lot less polished than I would have hoped. I know these complaints are moot because I will still play it day one, but I always feel like people are drinking koolaid when they say this game is visually impressive. It's not. It's serviceable.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Im probably in the minority but I don't think the game looks that great.
It doesn't look that great, but it's the best looking Smash game we've had yet IMO. Even relative to the time it was released. This is the first time I've been satisfied with the way almost every character model looks. And some characters just look flat out amazing (Marth, ZSS, Dedede, Sonic, Lucario, Pit, Mega Man, Pikachu, Kirby).

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't look that great, but it's the best looking Smash game we've had yet IMO. Even relative to the time it was released. This is the first time I've been satisfied with the way almost every character model looks. And some characters just look flat out amazing (Marth, ZSS, Dedede, Sonic, Lucario, Pit, Mega Man).
It is the best looking Smash we've had yeah -- but that's expected. Why would it look worse on new better hardware? The jump though, isnt as impressive to me as the jump between Melee and Brawl though.

Marth looks OK. ZSS, Sonic and MegaMan do look great. You're right. But notice the best looking characters had a major overhaul or are completely new. Donkey looks bad. Diddy looks bad. Charizard looks terrible. I'm pretty sure his model and textures are ripped from brawl with minor changes. Dedede looks terrible. Yoshi's textures look really bad and his model is a bit low poly. I will say of all the characters Yoshi looks the best in motion. His animations are amazing.

I'm not too concerned with the graphics though because like I said it looks much better in motion and the game will be running 60 fps in 1080p.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I said "Even relative to the time it was released." Meaning this game looks better now than Brawl did in 2008 and Melee did in 2001.

Melee's character models bothered me even back then, especially characters like Bowser, Yoshi, Fox, Falco and Donkey Kong. Brawl floored me when it was first shown but as it got closer to release I started to release how ugly the textures were, even though the models looked fine for the most part. Smash 4, although far from perfect, just looks right and will continue looking right well past release.

Also, I completely disagree about Yoshi, Charizard and especially Dedede who looks amazing. DK and Diddy could use some work, but they look fine in motion.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I'm not sure what the problem with Charizard is. He didm;t really need a huge update, as he looked pretty darn good in brawl to begin with.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Okay, I'm sorry, but you all continuously talking about Samus's 'features' is offensive and inappropriate, and I'm sure its against the rules. Can you refrain from discussing those 'features' in a thread that everyone can see?

@---

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm sorry, but you all continuously talking about Samus's 'features' is offensive and inappropriate, and I'm sure its against the rules. Can you refrain from discussing those 'features' in a thread that everyone can see?

@---
But this is a thread for graphics and character models - how can it be inappropriate? That's like saying the character Zero Suit Samus herself is "inappropriate" by the way she looks.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
But this is a thread for graphics and character models - how can it be inappropriate? That's like saying the character Zero Suit Samus herself is "inappropriate" by the way she looks.
It's the breast and butt jokes. It's kinda offenseive to some people that that's the only part of her they care about.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
No, see, its a comparison thread. We're comparing graphics from Brawl to Smash 4. We're comparing the improvement as a whole, and the new things such as texture, polygon improvement, environment detail, lighting mechanics. Character wise, Samus does look better. But you're taking it too far by objectifying. Frankly, you do this in EVERY thread you post in, and TWO of them have already been locked. You need to be mature with your posts. When people discuss other characters, you certainly don't see them discussing things like that, but they COULD. They choose not to because this isn't the place for it. You have private messaging for that. Regardless, you're going to ignore what I say and counter argue, and you need to save your energy. I can't force you to stop, but I'm asking you to consider the feelings/views of the other members of this forum before you post.

It's the breast and butt jokes. It's kinda offensive to some people that that's the only part of her they care about.
Its just the focus and jokes period.

To quote @ Mic_128 Mic_128 "Samus has boobs and a butt. Get over it."

To stay on topic, I'm really hoping for some more comparisons for Zelda.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This thread is about all the characters, not just one. Let's not completely derail this thread by acting like we're still in middle school.

aBBYS

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
No, see, its a comparison thread. We're comparing graphics from Brawl to Smash 4. We're comparing the improvement as a whole, and the new things such as texture, polygon improvement, environment detail, lighting mechanics. Character wise, Samus does look better. But you're taking it too far by objectifying. Frankly, you do this in EVERY thread you post in, and TWO of them have already been locked. You need to be mature with your posts. When people discuss other characters, you certainly don't see them discussing things like that, but they COULD. They choose not to because this isn't the place for it. You have private messaging for that. Regardless, you're going to ignore what I say and counter argue, and you need to save your energy. I can't force you to stop, but I'm asking you to consider the feelings/views of the other members of this forum before you post.
I never ignore what people are saying, but that doesn't mean I necessarely agree. I have no plans to continue discussing the beauty of the Zero Suit Samus model in this thread, but of what already has been said has been about the improvement of her body - which is her model.

To quote @ Mic_128 Mic_128 "Samus has boobs and a butt. Get over it."
That's like saying "The characters have polygons and textures - get over it" without going deeper into discussion about polygons and textures. He made a very typical, cliché comment there, I think.

by acting like we're still in middle school.
I'm not going to continue this here, but these kind of comments are really unnecessary, you know. You don't become more "mature" because you keep ignoring sex appeal on the character models. It has nothing to do with being mature or childish, it's about interest.

Last edited:

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I never ignore what people are saying, but that doesn't mean I necessarely agree. I have no plans to continue discussing the beauty of the Zero Suit Samus model in this thread, but of what already has been said has been about the improvement of her body - which is her model.

That's like saying "The characters have polygons and textures - get over it" without going deeper into discussion about polygons and textures. He made a very typical, cliché comment there, I think.
You don't have to agree with anything, but when you post on a public forum, you have a merit of the consideration of others. I'm telling you its offensive. Why must you counter that?

And, no, that's "not like saying" anything.

This thread is about all the characters, not just one. Let's not completely derail this thread by acting like we're still in middle school.
@ aBBYS aBBYS did you not see this? You can appreciate the model but you don't have to objectify. It's rude and offensive. If you appreciate the model, discuss the richer, finer details. Like the detail in her Plasma Gun/Whip or the amazing effects of her jet heels.

I can understand making a joke/comment and letting it go. But you've been on it for 2 pages, not to once again mention your other threads that were locked because of how you handle your discussions.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
No, it applies. For example, we're talking about how the polygons in the models have all increast vastly. But then you go and say
And that's because they put a lot more polygons to her butt this time around. If they just stretched it with the same amount of polys it would look blocky, but it doesn't - they increased the polygon count and the amount of lovely, female butt fat.
Ignoring the creeper talk, ALL of the characters have had increased polygons, and Zamus has had this happen over ALL of her, not just her bottom.

Everyone else has accepted this and moved on, but you (and @ Gameboi834 Gameboi834 ) are obsessing over the fact she has breasts and buttocks. We get it. She has them.

Move. On.

Top Bottom