• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Hmm... I know I may have seen a Codex Conversation and a Palutena's Guidance about this already, but if I may ask, who would talk about Shantae for the Codex if it was limited to Otacon, Colonel, or Mei Ling for the former and Palutena, Viridia, Dark Pit, or Pit for the latter?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
I see that WayForward made a couple more generic "we have nothing to announce at this time" posts on Twitter today while continuing to ignore any posts about Smash. It's obvious at this point that they're under an NDA and refuse to even acknowledge the Smash posts.

A1Again

Smash Cadet
As much as I like Shantae, Rottytops had me the very second I saw her in Risky's Revenge. And her theme was awesome!

EDIT: You were all talking about Assist Trophies and it has to be either Rotty or Risky. I could see Squid Baron as a stage hazard, lol.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Rotty is my #1 pick for a Shantae Assist Trophy. Risky will likely be a stage hazard.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As much as I like Shantae, Rottytops had me the very second I saw her in Risky's Revenge. And her theme was awesome!

EDIT: You were all talking about Assist Trophies and it has to be either Rotty or Risky. I could see Squid Baron as a stage hazard, lol.
Better yet, another team-up. This time with DJ Octavio.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
What strikes me the most about Rottytops is how well thought out her character is. A victim of prejudice, which forces her and her siblings to lie and deceive their way through undeath... which only further fuels the prejudice, and so on and so forth with the vicious cycle. It's never shown directly for the most part, but it is implied. She takes an instant liking to the kind, brave and open-hearted Shantae, but her hardwired survival instinct of dishonesty makes it difficult for her to form any meaningful attachment, not helped when Shantae, naturally, is upset by her betrayal. It's only when she discovers Rottytop's true feelings in the Village of Lost Souls and then assures Rottytops that their friendship is genuine that Rotty feels she really does have a chance to turn a new leaf.

Half-Genie Hero then shows her making genuine attempts to help and please Shantae, with her blunders being more honest mistakes then more attempts at manipulation. And during Friends To The End she not only gets a chance to return the favour of true thought-probing by revealing Shantae's hidden knowledge of her human form, but also learn to appreciate her other friends. Sky in particular, going from the person she mutually hates the most behind Risky, to putting in her own words that she considers her to be a great leader.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Honestly, Rotty is gonna make a minor appearance in some form other than a trophy. She's just to popular not to. And you know, how many zombie's have really appeared in Smash Bros? I guess the Redeads count, but I am talking classic zombies.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
What strikes me the most about Rottytops is how well thought out her character is. A victim of prejudice, which forces her and her siblings to lie and deceive their way through undeath... which only further fuels the prejudice, and so on and so forth with the vicious cycle. It's never shown directly for the most part, but it is implied. She takes an instant liking to the kind, brave and open-hearted Shantae, but her hardwired survival instinct of dishonesty makes it difficult for her to form any meaningful attachment, not helped when Shantae, naturally, is upset by her betrayal. It's only when she discovers Rottytop's true feelings in the Village of Lost Souls and then assures Rottytops that their friendship is genuine that Rotty feels she really does have a chance to turn a new leaf.

Half-Genie Hero then shows her making genuine attempts to help and please Shantae, with her blunders being more honest mistakes then more attempts at manipulation. And during Friends To The End she not only gets a chance to return the favour of true thought-probing by revealing Shantae's hidden knowledge of her human form, but also learn to appreciate her other friends. Sky in particular, she puts in her own words that she considers her to be a great leader.
since when did shantae characters have such in-depth backstorys (besides shantae herself)

Last edited:

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591

Half-Genie Hero then shows her making genuine attempts to help and please Shantae, with her blunders being more honest mistakes then more attempts at manipulation. And during Friends To The End she not only gets a chance to return the favour of true thought-probing by revealing Shantae's hidden knowledge of her human form, but also learn to appreciate her other friends. Sky in particular, she puts in her own words that she considers her to be a great leader.
This makes me excited to play Half-Genie hero which I will do after i finish my run of super metroid

Swade

Smash Apprentice

Half-Genie Hero then shows her making genuine attempts to help and please Shantae, with her blunders being more honest mistakes then more attempts at manipulation. And during Friends To The End she not only gets a chance to return the favour of true thought-probing by revealing Shantae's hidden knowledge of her human form, but also learn to appreciate her other friends. Sky in particular, going from the person she mutually hates the most behind Risky, to putting in her own words that she considers her to be a great leader.
Wow, this got deep real quick.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
What would be pretty amazing is Rottytops appearing in the Shantae reveal trailer and zombyfing someone by biting them. It would continue the trend of a character dying on every trailer.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
What would be pretty amazing is Rottytops appearing in the Shantae reveal trailer and zombyfing someone by biting them. It would continue the trend of a character dying on every trailer.
Maybe even a little giggle fest that happens. Like "Rotty! Don't just go around, zombifying random people you never met before!"
then boom, Rotty's the assist trophy.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
My main concern with Rotty as an assist is that I'm not sure how they would make her actions different from the other assists/Pokémon. She could attack with her leg, but a lot of assists just run around the stage doing close range attacks like that and throwing her head around seems like it'd have the same effect as Eevee's move. Her head could latch onto opponents to bite and damage them, but Metroid and Klaptrap already do that.

Nah.

Give him a Curly Joe-like voice from "The Three Stooges" and tell me that doesn't fit him perfectly. xD
Oh geez, you do not want to start discussing potential voices for these characters with me, I’ve been working on a dream voice cast on the Shantae series for a while now and I’d love to share my ideas if I wasn’t afraid of going off topic here.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
If they're gonna end up killing all the Mario "bros", I could totally see Wario getting blasted by one of Risky's cannons. Maybe he tries to plunder her treasure on her ship or something during a hypothetical Shantae reveal cinematic? Would be funny (and coincidental because we've seen Mario die, then Luigi in what could become some sort of "order" if you will).

There's just a lot of common themes with Wario (treasure hunter, dealt with a few pirates in his "hay day", etc.) and Shantae/Risky Boots that I could see him being used somehow as part of Shantae's reveal trailer.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
If they're gonna end up killing all the Mario "bros", I could totally see Wario getting blasted by one of Risky's cannons. Maybe he tries to plunder her treasure on her ship or something during a hypothetical Shantae reveal cinematic? Would be funny (and coincidental because we've seen Mario die, then Luigi in what could become some sort of "order" if you will).

There's just a lot of common themes with Wario (treasure hunter, dealt with a few pirates in his "hay day", etc.) and Shantae/Risky Boots that I could see him being used somehow as part of Shantae's reveal trailer.
Not exactly related to how he’d get axed off, but I could see Wario getting his hands on a magic lamp and while rubbing it and failing to get a genie to pop out, Shantae would appear from behind him and knock him away (either with her hair whip or elephant dash) and uses her elephant form to stomp on the lamp much to Wario’s dismay, and he proceeds to battle her, maybe Risky could blast him with a cannon to take on Shantae herself as a boss?

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
She is a very fun character, and would make for a very fun assist trophy. I also like the Rottytops alt Wayforward created for Shantae.
If not a full alt costume, I do expect that one of Shantae's color swaps would reference Rotty, while another would reference Sky, one for Risky, one for Nega Shantae, that kinda thing.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Okay, I just had the absolute stupidest idea ever. Remember how Wario basically used his Wario Waft in the Brawl Trailer? What if, during this theoretical Shantae trailer, just after she whipped him into submission, he tries that again, complete with the holy light of death glowing from his butt. Shantae braces for it... but Wario gets jettisoned away by Risky's cannonball. What happens next is that while she looks at her arch-enemy with shock, he just explodes in midair, still doing the classic "nuclear" cloud.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If no one minds me asking, would Sky and Bolo be considered as having 'deep backstories' (if they have anything of the sort at all?)

Oh geez, you do not want to start discussing potential voices for these characters with me, I’ve been working on a dream voice cast on the Shantae series for a while now and I’d love to share my ideas if I wasn’t afraid of going off topic here.
I'd like to hear your ideas!

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Alright, I will be honest. I have no idea who Shantae is.

I know she has existed for a long time, and has a lot of games, but until speculation about this character coming in Smash caught my attention I had never heard of this character. Her design looks interesting, and I like platformers, so I want to check out this franchise and maybe learn a bit more about the character which has gained so much attention recently.

There is a Shantae game on the Switch eshop right now, is that a good place to start?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord

I know she has existed for a long time, and has a lot of games, but until speculation about this character coming in Smash caught my attention I had never heard of this character. Her design looks interesting, and I like platformers, so I want to check out this franchise and maybe learn a bit more about the character which has gained so much attention recently.

There is a Shantae game on the Switch eshop right now, is that a good place to start?
Pirate's Curse is one of the best Shantae platformers right now. You can also get three of the four games on PC, the only one missing is Shantae on GBC, which can be bought on the 3DS Shop instead.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero

There are two Shantae games on the Switch eShop, and both of them are great points of entry into the series.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Just passing by, wishin' all shantae supporters a good time, and for the days til shantae's reveal (or not) to be flavourful :D
gnight.

Sleepy_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarrKnight
3DS FC
4639-9220-1156

There's Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero (Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included). Half-Genie Hero is really more bang for your buck with how much content there is, but for as much as I played it, I still like Pirate's Curse more. Gameplay is more metroidvania-like, and I was more fond of the level design compared to HGH. The only thing is that it's not traditional Shantae gameplay, because there aren't any transformation dances, so I can't say it's the best place to get familiar to the Shantae formula. I'd still go Pirate's Curse, regardless. But that's like, my opinion.:smash:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
There's Pirate's Curse and Half-Genie Hero (Ultimate Edition with all the DLC included). Half-Genie Hero is really more bang for your buck with how much content there is, but for as much as I played it, I still like Pirate's Curse more. Gameplay is more metroidvania-like, and I was more fond of the level design compared to HGH. The only thing is that it's not traditional Shantae gameplay, because there aren't any transformation dances, so I can't say it's the best place to get familiar to the Shantae formula. I'd still go Pirate's Curse, regardless. But that's like, my opinion.:smash:
Pirate's Curse is one of the best Shantae platformers right now. You can also get three of the four games on PC, the only one missing is Shantae on GBC, which can be bought on the 3DS Shop instead.
There are two Shantae games on the Switch eShop, but both of them are great points of entry into the series.
Thank you for the advice! Honestly I was originally going to just by the Ultimate Edition, but the word, metroidvania, makes me happy, so I bought the other one too. :p

I guess it is a good thing I archived some games on my Switch earlier.

PichuMain

Smash Journeyman

Welcome! I'd say Pirates Curse is a good place to start. You'll have the "wtf am I suppose to do next" a bit in the beginning, but you'll get the hang of it.

Hope you love and support Shantae for Smash if you ever come to love this character!

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Thank you for the advice! Honestly I was originally going to just by the Ultimate Edition, but the word, metroidvania, makes me happy, so I bought the other one too. :p

I guess it is a good thing I archived some games on my Switch earlier.
You can skip the first game but I’d recommend at least watching a playthrough of Risky’s Revenge to understand the story. That one is arguably the shortest, though i recall it being pretty inexpensive on the 3DS eShop or IOS if you have either and want to play through it yourself.

I'd like to hear your ideas!
I’d love to discuss them, should I talk just with you over conversation or am I alright to share on them here? I just don’t want to get berated for going off topic.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Thermithral Thermithral I find Pirate's Curse to be the best Shantae game, but that's actually one of the reasons I would not recommend it as your first Shantae game. If it's between that and 1/2 Genie Hero first, go with the latter. Pirate's Curse is non-traditional because it doesn't have Shantae's trademark transformations.

Top Bottom