• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Moderately obsessed

Smash Journeyman
For the other echo fighter... yes black shadow is a bit compromise due to his body type.. but... why not? Or we can have Dr stewart since he was one of the first f-zero character alongside goroh, falcon and pico (he's the only who have the same body type as falcon)... lol it would be so funny actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fGdLpGe_I

Btw the other possibles echoes are
Shadow for sonic
Ken for Ryu
Dixie for Diddy
Jeanne for Bayonneta
Ninten for Ness

Or maybe Holly Lingerbean

as a shantae echo x)
So I've been wanting to voice this because it was a really big question for me. Does anyone think that 3rd party echoes are still potentially not options. I know we've had leaked who said Ken and Shadow are in, but are they? I'm thinking that the reason Simon & Richter got in is because they are the same and they represent an acknowledgement of the fan bases for two characters from the same game from different regions. Japan liking Richter and West liking Simon. I don't feel like it opened the option for more 3rd party echoes as much as it says "hey, I care about you too 'not Japan'. -Love Sakurai"
Am I crazy to think this? In the end I'm a nobody on the internet and could be 100% wrong, but I wanted to throw this out there

Last edited:

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
Ugh, that image DX

I know it's been said before, but with all these attacks and stuff, I really do hope, whether Shantae gets confirmed or deconfirmed, that the Shantae fanbase as a whole a reacts with class.

Even for the people who want payback, it honestly seems to me that accepting the victory or defeat with quiet dignity (and contained celebration) would really get the detractors goats.
It's clear at this point they expect us to either pull what similar fanbases have done and temper tantrum, or if by some miracle (in their minds) she does get confirmed to gloat uncontrollably and in their eyes justify she was a mistake.

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
As I was in the bathroom taking care of the necessities I just had this thought in my head, "Why did WayForward called the complete edition of HGH 'ULTIMATE' edition?"

After that thought I was like...ah I see what you did there WF, very smart and very sneaky. Out of all the naming edition they could have use:
"Definitive Edition"
"Complete Edition"
"Ret-2-Go Edition"
They decided to go with "ULTIMATE" Edition instead.

Man if that ain't another hint I don't know what is.

Nintendo Direct coming TOMORROW BABY!!!
https://twitter.com/RedMakuzawa/status/1037339606491058176

If someone already posted the news then I got :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
As I was in the bathroom taking care of the necessities I just had this thought in my head, "Why did WayForward called the complete edition of HGH 'ULTIMATE' edition?"

After that thought I was like...ah I see what you did there WF, very smart and very sneaky. Out of all the naming edition they could have use:
"Definitive Edition"
"Complete Edition"
"Ret-2-Go Edition"

Add another pin to the shantae board.

Yup, get hyped guys. And its 35 minutes long too... thats a very long direct. perfect for multiple smash announcments

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Alright guys get your bingo books out for what character(s) will be reveal for Smash Ultimate tomorrow.

My guesses:
1. Shantae(of course)
2. Shadow(echo)
3. Isabelle(echo)
4. Geno or Skull Kid(as playable)
5. Skull Kid(as boss)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Alright guys get your bingo books out for what character(s) will be reveal for Smash Ultimate tomorrow.

My guesses:
1. Shantae(of course)
2. Shadow(echo)
3. Isabelle(echo)
4. Geno or Skull Kid(as playable)
5. Skull Kid(as boss)
I'm sticking with this.

1. Shantae
2. Dixie Kong
3. Isabelle
4. Either a Pokemon or Elma.
5. No news on story or more bosses, saved to a story mode focused direct.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Add another pin to the shantae board.

Yup, get hyped guys. And its 35 minutes long too... thats a very long direct. perfect for multiple smash announcments
I do want to see some announcements concerning smash, but there have already been two directs almost completely dedicated to it. All I'm expecting to see at this direct are about two character reveals, probably for Shantae and Isabelle.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman

"Definitive Edition"
"Complete Edition"
"Ret-2-Go Edition"

Did they delete the tweet? Doesn't exist for me.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I do want to see some announcements concerning smash, but there have already been two directs almost completely dedicated to it.
They can easily only spend 10 minutes or less on smash, and still cover a wide range of other games. If this was a 20 minute direct I would only expect 1 character, but 35 minutes yeah I can see 2 new comers(one at start one at end), and 2 echos(at the middle of the direct)

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
If they're gonna end up killing all the Mario "bros", I could totally see Wario getting blasted by one of Risky's cannons. Maybe he tries to plunder her treasure on her ship or something during a hypothetical Shantae reveal cinematic? Would be funny (and coincidental because we've seen Mario die, then Luigi in what could become some sort of "order" if you will).

There's just a lot of common themes with Wario (treasure hunter, dealt with a few pirates in his "hay day", etc.) and Shantae/Risky Boots that I could see him being used somehow as part of Shantae's reveal trailer.
Hmm, and I suppose Wario getting blasted by Risky could be a neat reference to Captain Syrup as well.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm calling it now! We are going to get both Shantae and Isaac revealed tomorrow.
I feel like they would save Issac for a near end reveal, unless Issac, Geno, AND Banjo are in. Tommorows I feel is shantae's best chance, plus either a pokemon or Elma

Staarih

Smash Master
Okay, here we go guys! Seeing as it's a general Direct, I'm expecting like one newcomer reveal. Let's all hope it's our girl!

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
On a quick unrelated note: BotW has officially surpassed OoT number of sales in Japan.

On a related topic: Man the wait for the Direct tomorrow is going to be agonizing. Thank God I have received Monster Hunter Generations ULTIMATE(see what I did there?) in the mail to keep me busy tomorrow.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
I feel like they would save Issac for a near end reveal, unless Issac, Geno, AND Banjo are in. Tommorows I feel is shantae's best chance, plus either a pokemon or Elma
I can see Elma being a really cool assist trophy, but not as a playable character. I do like Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the game is nowhere near as popular as 1 or 2. On a completely unrelated note, because Shantae is really the only indie character with a chance of making it in as a fighter, wouldn't a character like Quote be a good assist trophy?

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I can see Elma being a really cool assist trophy, but not as a playable character. I do like Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the game is nowhere near as popular as 1 or 2.
Sakurai himself enjoy XB2 a lot.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I can see Elma being a really cool assist trophy, but not as a playable character. I do like Xenoblade Chronicles X, but the game is nowhere near as popular as 1 or 2.
I would normally agree with you, but Sakurai is such a HUGE fan of the series, I can see him personally wanting to put her in, and then Rex and Pyra/Mythra for early DLC

VizardJeffhog

Smash Cadet
NNID
VizardJeffhog
The way I see it, we'll definitely get at least one newcomer reveal for tomorrow. I wouldn't expect a Pokémon newcomer announcement until closer to Let's Go's release in November, so here's what I'm predicting:

1. Expected: Elma. With Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country dropping next week, this Direct would be the absolute perfect time to announce a Xenoblade newcomer. Barring a possible Greninja-type scenario with Rex, my money is on Elma for the base roster, who recently made it into XC2 as a special guest Blade with her own reveal trailer.
  2. Surprise: Isaac. I don't feel he'd be perfect for a final reveal, compared to the likes of Geno, but newcomers from dormant and low-billing Nintendo IPs nonetheless make some of the best surprises on the road towards a new Smash game, like Little Mac and Wii Fit Trainer.
  3. Dark Horse: Shantae. With everything we've discussed here, all the mysterious signs and behaviour from WayForward that all but SCREAM they're under NDA, it's almost a guarantee that our favourite half-genie hero will star in Ultimate in some form. I say "dark horse" in her case because she's not too well known and many don't expect her to make it in, but with what we've seen, she might just make top billing as a new fighter!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
For some reason my first thought was that there might not even be smash-related news on the direct tomorow, it's not e3 and it's a nintendo direct about involving the online. But if I think about what's popular online, smash comes to mind and 35 mins is a good amount of time, so maybe we'll get a reveal. Is there precedent for smash reveals on nintendo directs that aren't smash directs?

Top Bottom