• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Thank you for the advice! Honestly I was originally going to just by the Ultimate Edition, but the word, metroidvania, makes me happy, so I bought the other one too. :p

I guess it is a good thing I archived some games on my Switch earlier.
Pirate's Curse is probably my favorite "Metroidvania" to date. It may be blasphemous to say this, but I even like Pirate's Curse more than Metroid, and that's coming from someone who loves all the 2D Metroid games to death.

Shantae GBC also has a special place in my heart, but that game is far from entry-point friendly, even though it was my first Shantae game. It's better suited to someone who already loves Shantae and will tolerate the flaws. It does so many things right, but they're hidden behind a core game that offers an NES-level of atrocious hitboxes and badly designed enemies lol

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Pirate's Curse is probably my favorite "Metroidvania" to date. It may be blasphemous to say this, but I even like Pirate's Curse more than Metroid, and that's coming from someone who loves all the 2D Metroid games to death.

Shantae GBC also has a special place in my heart, but that game is far from entry-point friendly, even though it was my first Shantae game. It's better suited to someone who already loves Shantae and will tolerate the flaws. It does so many things right, but they're hidden behind a core game that offers an NES-level of atrocious hitboxes and badly designed enemies lol
Did you play the 1st game on an actual gbc or using virtual console

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
Based on what I have seen of Half Genie Hero so far, I think I will have fun with it. I'm not sure when this transformation thing will show up, but based on the level design of this first area, I am guessing at some point I will be able to climb walls. I have also never seen a Pirate Ship Snail before, so...props for creativity for sure.

I like how when I defeat these red pirate dudes, they fly off the stage and explode in a very Smash Bros way, very amusing.

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
To me (Who's only played Pirate's Curse and HGH), Pirate's Curse feels a little more like metroidvania, while HGH feels more like a Megaman X game to me. I love 'em both tho! I think I like HGH more just because of Officer mode though, I really love it!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I’d love to discuss them, should I talk just with you over conversation or am I alright to share on them here? I just don’t want to get berated for going off topic.
Well, I'd like to think either or would work. I mean, it is still Shantae-related, so I don't think you'd get into trouble for talking about it here...

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
To me (Who's only played Pirate's Curse and HGH), Pirate's Curse feels a little more like metroidvania, while HGH feels more like a Megaman X game to me. I love 'em both tho! I think I like HGH more just because of Officer mode though, I really love it!
So far on my playthrough of PC, I can tell I already like this more than HGH. However, I really am glad that I played through HGH first (and 100%'d all modes). And your assessment of the style seems spot on so far. All I can say is that playing through both really makes me excited for a Shantae game like PC with all the nice features and transformations of HGH.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Did you play the 1st game on an actual gbc or using virtual console
Nah, admittedly my first experience with Shantae GBC was actually through emulator in computer class when somebody managed to get the emulator with all the GBC/GBA games in the school's system, lol...

This was around the time Risky's Revenge was just coming out, as I remember right after beating GBC wanting to see if the series was still alive, and I had the incredible timing of learning about Shantae when they had JUST revived her.

Of course, I do own the 3DS eShop version as well now, and that's where I actually did my 100% on it, barring the Tinkerbat transformation since they didn't update the game for VC.

Honestly, if they ever remade Shantae GBC with all the fixes and polish it needs, while keeping the complete wrap-around world, towns and dungeons, it would probably be one of my favorite games of all time

Last edited:

Bestgalaredigital

Smash Rookie
Count me as a shantae supporter since its the last of my wished character who's left to join smash.

I personnally only played Risky revenge and Pirate curse, but I just bought Half genie heroes this week.

Btw, who would die in the shantae cinematic? Peach? lol

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Well, I'd like to think either or would work. I mean, it is still Shantae-related, so I don't think you'd get into trouble for talking about it here...
Fair enough, I think I’ll just start out here and if it doesn’t work out, we can continue in a conversation, where do you want to start?

Count me as a shantae supporter since its the last of my wished character who's left to join smash.

I personnally only played Risky revenge and Pirate curse, but I just bought Half genie heroes this week.

Btw, who would die in the shantae cinematic? Peach? lol
I’m still voting on Wario

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I supported Shantae long before I ever played her game. I used to just have a game manual or something but never had a copy or a gameboy.

I supported her during the ballot, where it really counts. I was dead set on supporting an indie despite wanting Skull Kid more. I didn't really dig Shovel Knight so I became a Shantae fan.

Personally, I believe that Shantae has the same chance as any other 3rd party. Banjo and Geno are the only ones who are seemingly at a similar level of popularity.

Last edited:

Calane

Smash Ace
Even though most here probably haven't played any of them, I always felt that the Shantae games were a lot like the "Wonder Boy/Monster World" games. Well, mostly "Monster World IV" in particular. It was actually because Shantae reminded me so much of MW IV that I started playing the games in the first place. I would actually recommend Shantae fans give Monster World IV a try. They're not completely alike, but I feel that if you like one you'll probably like the other.

dancing_soldiers_by_bb_penaz-d6l7xp4.png

I actually just found out that someone made a crossover fangame about Shantae & Asha. Weird.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
I actually just found out that someone made a crossover fangame about Shantae & Asha. Weird.

Ha, the mini "Fireball" voiceclip is great.

I spent some time mulling over how we could possibly win a spot on the coveted ballot.
With Sakurai's 1.8 million voters statistic, I believe it's just the right number that if all shantae fans voted for her, she'd get top 20 in the ballot. The top 20 characters are likely to take up 50% of all votes and having a steady dropoff in vote percentages for other characters.

The fact that we banded together to Vote Shantae puts us way ahead of the other majority statistic that I'm sure exists: The characters that don't make up .1% of the ballot. Adding the thousands of character results together would certainly knock the threshold down a peg for us.

Looking at most polls can show you an often overlooked detail that made me pretty hopeful. Even if they aren't accurate, they tend to have similar "victory % conditions" In this case, with such a wide door being open (you can vote for anyone) The winners will likely have 1-10% of the total votes at maximum, with each placement being a major drop from the last.

That said, basing some math off of this poll can give us an idea of what kind of votes we'd need to get in the top. To get top 15, we'd need close to 38,000 votes. 26,460 votes to get in top 20. That said, I doubt the winning percentages will be 1-1 with this, or any poll. But just to give you an idea, we'd likely only need a single digit percentage of the vote to win.

Wayforward's twitter has 60k Followers... Hrmmm...

If half of the people who bought the first Shantae game voted for her, we'd have a decent chance, but I believe that there are more Shantae supporters like me, who didn't play a Shantae game until well after the Smash Ballot.

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Even though most here probably haven't played any of them, I always felt that the Shantae games were a lot like the "Wonder Boy/Monster World" games. Well, mostly "Monster World IV" in particular. It was actually because Shantae reminded me so much of MW IV that I started playing the games in the first place. I would actually recommend Shantae fans give Monster World IV a try. They're not completely alike, but I feel that if you like one you'll probably like the other.

View attachment 161972

Wow I am definitely going to have to get that game, thanks for showing it off!

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Do we even know if zombification is transmitted by bite in the Shantae-verse?
Rottytops suggests biting a hamster to create a zombie hamster and claims that's how her brother got his. True, Rotty isn't the most trustworthy source of info.

Bestgalaredigital

Smash Rookie
Btw, I don't know if someone in the shantae series is able to be an echo fighter of Shantae... Nega shantae could be a bit bland.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Definitely not, compared to IGuessItsOver. Poor guy's become a laughing stock on the Ultimate general.

Alrighty guys, let's cross our fingers for a Geno-Shantae duo reveal during tomorrow's direct!
watch me low-key predict this 100%

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...o_air_tomorrow_switch_online_details_incoming
Not really going to expect too much, we'll just have to see what happens.

Btw, I don't know if someone in the shantae series is able to be an echo fighter of Shantae... Nega shantae could be a bit bland.
I figure they'd just go the Galacta Knight route with her.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
If there is a Shantae reveal trailer, I think it would be most fitting for Wario to die in it. He's a greedy treasure hunter with his own history of pirates so I could totally see him trying to steal a treasure from Risky's ship only to get killed by her or someone else. Shantae appears right after.

But the question is would they do a full 3D CGI trailer like for Simon and K Rool, or would they keep within the style of her games?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
There are quite a few characters where it is feasible to create echo fighters based off of their evil doppelgangers. Dark Meta Knight and Black Shadow are the two that immediately pop into my mind. I agree that Nega Shantae would be a bit bland but Dark Pit somehow made it into the game.

Last edited:

Captain Hazama

Smash Ace
There are quite a few characters where it is feasible to create echo fighters based off of their evil doppelgangers. Dark Meta Knight and Black Shadow are the two that immediately pop into my mind. I agree that Nega Shantae would be a bit bland but Dark Pit somehow made it into the game.
The only problem with Black Shadow is that he's bigger then C. Falcon to be an echo. And I mean a lot bigger then Falcon by muscle mass and height, (not including horns.)

Booper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
There are quite a few characters where it is feasible to create echo fighters based off of their evil doppelgangers. Dark Meta Knight and Black Shadow are the two that immediately pop into my mind.
Technically, Captain Falcon's evil doppelganger is Blood Falcon, who is already an alt.
Black Shadow is more his nemesis than his direct counterpart.

Speaking of which, I do think a costume is the best place for Nega Shantae, even though the voice would be a bit jarring at first. WayForward made one that looked great in their pallet samples during the campaign.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
If there is a Shantae reveal trailer, I think it would be most fitting for Wario to die in it. He's a greedy treasure hunter with his own history of pirates so I could totally see him trying to steal a treasure from Risky's ship only to get killed by her or someone else. Shantae appears right after.

But the question is would they do a full 3D CGI trailer like for Simon and K Rool, or would they keep within the style of her games?
Nintendo would probably do the same with her reveal like they did Duck Hunt Dog's: show her in her pixelated form and then her 3D one next but not before being invited by the Smash vets. For Shantae I'm guessing Pikachu would be the one doing it.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Nintendo would probably do the same with her reveal like they did Duck Hunt Dog's: show her in her pixelated form and then her 3D one next but not before being invited by the Smash vets. For Shantae I'm guessing Pikachu would be the one doing it.
I suppose Shantae could be considered a retro character (although Simon fits that description better) and I could see that happening, but I see Wario, Palutena, Pit, and Link more likely than Pikachu.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
You guys hear about the possibility of a new direct very soon? what do we think for our girl shantae here?
UnreleasedShantaedance.gif

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
The only problem with Black Shadow is that he's bigger then C. Falcon to be an echo. And I mean a lot bigger then Falcon by muscle mass and height, (not including horns.)
I just don't see how they would create another unique moveset for an F-Zero character. I'd think they could tone down his size somewhat to make his proportions more akin to Captain Falcon's.

Last edited:

M00NFIRE94

Smash Ace
I suppose Shantae could be considered a retro character (although Simon fits that description better) and I could see that happening, but I see Wario, Palutena, Pit, and Link more likely than Pikachu.
I'm just thinking Pikachu since Pokémon pretty much ruled the Gameboy platform and it would look like the mouse putting in good word for her but Wario can work too. Steals gems from Scuttle Town and Shantae chases him to another dimension (Smash). Whichever. Just as long as she's announced lol

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
I had a burst thought with one of the Links swinging his sword at jars to get Rupees, but all of a sudden hits one that says "Ow!" or "Hey!" That being Shantae in Gem Jug transformation.

I'd be glad with any type of reveal they'd give for her if they decide to.
(Please decide to...)

zferolie

Smash Hero
I'm not sure yet. So far every trailer has been in the same style, maybe for a reason. that could change though.

So sounds like theres a good chance for a direct tommorow huh? Will it be our girls time to arrive?

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
You guys wanna know the most embarrassing thing that happened in hindsight relating to Shantae? Well, here it goes. I had an older issue of Nintendo Power and it had an article talking about the then-unreleased Pirate's Curse. Then when I saw a picture of just Risky Boots looking over on her ship, I thought that was a redesigned Captain Syrup, because a little before then, I also saw Captain Syrup's purple pirate outfit. I don't think it was the one with the Shantae cover. I think it was Zelda related, instead...?

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
You guys wanna know the most embarrassing thing that happened in hindsight relating to Shantae? Well, here it goes. I had an older issue of Nintendo Power and it had an article talking about the then-unreleased Pirate's Curse. Then when I saw a picture of just Risky Boots looking over on her ship, I thought that was a redesigned Captain Syrup, because a little before then, I also saw Captain Syrup's purple pirate outfit. I don't think it was the one with the Shantae cover. I think it was Zelda related, instead...?
I thought that the only other Nintendo Power besides the one with the Pirate's Curse Cover which contained information on upcoming Shantae games was volume 254, which had a Super Mario Galaxy 2 cover.

Last edited:

Bestgalaredigital

Smash Rookie
For the other echo fighter... yes black shadow is a bit compromise due to his body type.. but... why not? Or we can have Dr stewart since he was one of the first f-zero character alongside goroh, falcon and pico (he's the only who have the same body type as falcon)... lol it would be so funny actually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6fGdLpGe_I

Btw the other possibles echoes are
Shadow for sonic
Ken for Ryu
Dixie for Diddy
Jeanne for Bayonneta
Ninten for Ness

Or maybe Holly Lingerbean

as a shantae echo x)

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
So um, this was brought to my attention on knowyourmeme, when I commented on that smug shantae picture I posted. I said thats shantae's face while all the haters are saying she's in, and people got into a chat asking if she really does get a lot of crap. As we know 4chan, reddit, and gamefaqs seems to love to attack her, and someone posted this image that some people use to attack fans. Its a Why Shantae should be in smash, but 2 of the reasons I feel make this more as an attack to the fans wanting her.

I'm putting it in a spoiler, as its not really NSFW, but there is 1 icon that may make it slightly NSFW, plus the last line.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
I thought that the only other Nintendo Power besides the one with the Pirate's Curse Cover which contained information on upcoming Shantae games was volume 254, which had a Super Mario Galaxy 2 cover.
You're right. I remembered getting a Nintendo Power magazine way back, I just couldn't recognize which one had Shantae in it that wasn't on the cover.

Top Bottom