• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae, the Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town! (A Switch To A New WayForward)

Do you think shantae can make it?

• Yes, as a fighter

• Yes, as a assist trophy

• No, not as a assist trophy

• No, not at all

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Truth be told, I think I would be that one Shantae fan who won't shut up about her being in the roster. Hell, if anything, I'd just laugh like a maniac if she got in, just like I did when I saw Shovel Knight, Ridley, and K. Rool getting in. Yeah, SK getting in as an assist trophy is different to being fully playable, but I couldn't care because it still gave us something.
If Shantae was announced, I think I might be kicked out.

Last edited:

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
The key word: PERSONALITY. That’s why I believe Hilda and Impa have way better odds than Skull Kid. He also doesn’t have much unique about him (Majora was the main villain, not him. Without that mask he’s just another pointless side character who can’t really do much.) In fact, Hilda does more in her game than skull kid ever did (Summon Ganon, Steal the triforce, have a misunderstood villain cliché, and shows lots of personality toward the end), and Impa is in several games, usually either as a sheikah warrior or a wise old lady, so there’s a lot to do there. Also, I should probably mention skull kid includes an entire race (I know that we’re only talking about one, but I’m including the race as a whole and I’m just gonna point out they all pretty much do the same thing, the only thing that makes ‘Skull Kid’ different is that he is controlled by the spirit of Majora, and that was only for one game + a spin-off that doesn’t really count toward the canon). This all also heavily applies to Shantae, Personality, unique moves, something she’s known for, and her franchise has no reps to worry about oversaturation.
I'm sorry, but this is beyond ignorant. Skull Kid has far more personality than both Hilda and Impa, be that with the mask or without. Speaking as a hardcore Zelda fan, I think the only way you could possibly believe that Skull Kid is lacking in personality is if you don't actually know anything about him. He has everything from a tragic backstory, a fatal flaw, and several twisting relationships, to a grey morality, considerable character growth, and complex motivations underlying his actions. He's better written than 90% of Zelda characters.

Last edited:

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
If there’s any time then now is a good time for me to share this:
View attachment 161832
It honestly makes a lot of really good points, the references to Ultimate are extremely in-your-face and not subtle at all so I don’t think it’s much of a coincidence.

Take it for what you will everyone.
A lot of that stuff is very in your face and not very subtle, it's actually all pretty blatant. Not even trying to hide it.

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
A lot of that stuff is very in your face and not very subtle, it's actually all pretty blatant. Not even trying to hide it.
andd yet I believe this wouldnt break NDA legally speaking.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
andd yet I believe this wouldnt break NDA legally speaking.
Yep. There's a big difference between dropping hints and outright saying that she's in the game or not. WF still has been acting very out of character on their social media.

I'm keeping my hopes in check, but I do think that she's in the game in some form. There's just too much evidence for this to amount to nothing. I'm really hoping she's playable and not an assist trophy.

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
If there's one thing that's better than simply being happy a character is in it, it's seeing the reactions of others who sees a character, because it can get so bloody varied, from incredulous to just sheer joy.
That and I just imagined what Vinny of Vinesauce fame would say about Shantae, though this can apply to any big/small person you want to put in here.
And for the above NDA, isn't it because the hints are context-sensitive? Like an innuendo, if you will.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If there's one thing that's better than simply being happy a character is in it, it's seeing the reactions of others who sees a character, because it can get so bloody varied, from incredulous to just sheer joy.
That and I just imagined what Vinny of Vinesauce fame would say about Shantae, though this can apply to any big/small person you want to put in here.
And for the above NDA, isn't it because the hints are context-sensitive? Like an innuendo, if you will.
It is essentially "wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more type" of talk in this case.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice
Shantae is my most wanted newcomer, so add me to the support list
If there’s any time then now is a good time for me to share this:
View attachment 161832
It honestly makes a lot of really good points, the references to Ultimate are extremely in-your-face and not subtle at all so I don’t think it’s much of a coincidence.

Take it for what you will everyone.
These are all pretty good points. Hopefully, they amount to something.

Also, Shantae is my most wanted newcomer, so add me to the support list.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I'm sorry, but this is beyond ignorant. Skull Kid has far more personality than both Hilda and Impa, be that with the mask or without. Speaking as a hardcore Zelda fan, I think the only way you could possibly believe that Skull Kid is lacking in personality is if you don't actually know anything about him. He has everything from a tragic backstory, a fatal flaw, and several twisting relationships, to a grey morality, considerable character growth, and complex motivations underlying his actions. He's better written than 90% of Zelda characters.
That type of backstory is meh at best, as in at least 30% of game characters have it. His fatal flaw isn’t even interesting from what I’ve seen. Also, saying he’s better written than 90% of Zelda characters is complete bias. Hilda has the same gray-area morality, tragic backstory, fatal flaw, complex motivations and character development, and sure she might be the only real example of the same story, but different characters have different stories, also with the existence of echoes and potential for bosses, the best I see skull kid getting is as a boss (that LeakyPandy leak isn’t too far fetched when you think about it), and Hilda could very well be playable (most likely isn’t a coincidence there isn’t a Hilda costume for Zelda, especially when she uses her LBW design). Also, you can’t just blatantly state that skull kid is the most likely new Zelda rep, especially considering how Sakurai works (I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw Medli, or even Groose as playable). I rest my case (sorry if this rant took a bit long, just stating things that are on my mind). Anyway, back to Shantae. She checks every box in Sakurai’s design philosophy (obviously), and would be great for that roster. We have so much theoretical evidence at this point, so I’d hate to see all the speculation go to waste.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Well anyway no matter what happens we just keep continuing supporting our girl Shantae. She will be in Smash in one form or another that much is guaranteed.

EDIT: Yeah can we get the full roster of supporters for Shantae? I want to see how many crew members we have.

Last edited:

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
That type of backstory is meh at best, as in at least 30% of game characters have it.
30% of game characters have the backstory of being a lost child dying in the woods, turning into a monster, befriending a human by way of music, being cast out by his peers for doing so, traveling to another dimension, being depressingly lonely, finding solace in a friendship with two fairy siblings, engaging in childish hijinks with said siblings, then slowly having said hijinks turned to an extreme after stealing a cursed artifact?

His fatal flaw isn’t even interesting from what I’ve seen. Also, saying he’s better written than 90% of Zelda characters is complete bias. Hilda has the same gray-area morality, tragic backstory, fatal flaw, complex motivations and character development, and sure she might be the only real example of the same story
Given what you've said, you clearly haven't seen much. It's like you're completely ignorant about this series.

Also, you can’t just blatantly state that skull kid is the most likely new Zelda rep
...I didn't? Quite literally no part of your comment makes any real sense.

Last edited:

WingedSupernova

Smash Ace
NNID
WingedNova
Switch FC
8149-7158-0019
I shared this in another place after I saw a lot of demoralized Shantae fans, but keep your chins up everyone! Even though it may seem like the world is against us, just keep in mind it's only a vocal minority that are behind this! Keep the positivity up and don't forget we're all here for each other!
shantaeyay.png

Biometal

Smash Journeyman
Vengeful spite wouldn't be a good idea, as it would instantly make their negative labeling of us accurate. Also saying "when she's added" etc should be kept in check a bit more since we legitimately know nothing about where Shantae stands in SSBU as of now. All of those "hints" are speculated to be references to her inclusion, but they have began turning into rushed facts (if she is in really going to be playable, then I am incorrect about that part.)

Having her as an Assist Trophy would be a lot of wasted potential as opposed to a character who swings a shovel around and digs, throws food, swings a tennis racket, etc. The same could be said about Olimar for basically throwing/swinging Pikmin around, but it's Massive Hero Sock Cry's game, and he's free to do whatever he wants with it. I'm hoping for the best for her to be playable, but I'm ultimately prepared for the worst. If she's not playable, we will not hear the end of it from the haters, but if she is in the roster, there would be no reason to react spitefully toward them. I know that it would happen anyway, so I'll admit that I would be spectating the entire clash for a while...'cause why not?

For now, it's safer to use "if", yeaaaahz?

Veodok

コードー002
Switch FC
SW-0381-1083-3350
On another note, have we discussed the possible cuteness of Tanuki Shantae (pic only semirelated)?

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Shantae would be huge wasted potential as an assist trophy and so I'd honestly rather her not be in the game at all than be an assist trophy.

And I do think she's getting more hate than usual now. The hate is completely childish, but I'm just blocking them on sight on Twitter now. I'd rather not waste my time with toxic Smash fans.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
30% of game characters have the backstory of being a lost child dying in the woods, turning into a monster, befriending a human by way of music, being cast out by his peers for doing so, traveling to another dimension, being depressingly lonely, finding solace in a friendship with two fairy siblings, engaging in childish hijinks with said siblings, then slowly having said hijinks turned to an extreme after stealing a cursed artifact?
Notice I said same type of backstory, not the EXACT same one. Have you seen Pokemon’s description for stuff like ghastly and kadabra? There’s also technically something to be said for characters that don’t have a tragic backstory, because quite frankly, that type of backstory is way over used, and other characters have been cast out from their race as well for doing something wrong/being different.
...I didn't? Quite literally no part of your comment makes any real sense.
You basically did by saying that he is better than 90% of Zelda characters including Hilda and Impa (by saying he has more personality than both, even though they have the same amount) from the top of your comment. Besides, I stand by my point that Sakurai does what he wants, I strictly believe skull kid isn’t popular enough (especially not during ballot days) to warrant an appearance due to fan demand similar to Ridley and K. Rool. Besides, being a boss would be a step up from an assist trophy, considering ATs have rng that prevents you from seeing a character you want too often. Now I’m done.

Last edited:

SoupCanMafia

Smash Lord
Scuttle Town, Sequin Land, Possibly Turkey
Opportunists and blind haters are the worst kind of people that we'll have to face. But at the end of the day, AngrySun, while we can't do anything to truly stave off their anger, they can't convince us that she is not worth smashing fighting for. And that's ultimately what these guys are trying to do.
On another note, have we discussed the possible cuteness of Tanuki Shantae (pic only semirelated)?
Also, I know that. And yes, it's bloody adorable.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Notice I said same type of backstory, not the EXACT same one. Have you seen Pokemon’s description for stuff like ghastly and kadabra? There’s also technically something to be said for characters that don’t have a tragic backstory, because quite frankly, that type of backstory is way over used, and other characters have been cast out from their race as well for doing something wrong/being different.

You basically did by saying that he is better than 90% of Zelda characters including Hilda and Impa from the top of your comment. Besides, I stand by my point that Sakurai does what he wants, I strictly believe skull kid isn’t popular enough (especially not during ballot days) to warrant an appearance due to fan demand similar to Ridley and K. Rool. Besides, being a boss would be a step up from an assist trophy, considering ATs have rng that prevents you from seeing a character you want too often.
I'm sorry, but even foregoing the absolute stupidity of claiming that I "blatantly stated" something only to then acknowledge that I never ever said that (let alone spoke on Skull Kid's chances in any way), this comment, combined with your previous ones, is just far too ridiculous for me to bother arguing against you. You've definitely fallen down some funky rabbit hole if you can look at our conversation and think that you are in any way in the right here.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Oh yeah if Shantae is in who would you guys want as the Assist Trophy? I think it would be Bolo personally or Risky Boots.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Squid Baron would probably be my top choice for an assist trophy, but I think Sky with Wrench, Rottytops, and Risky would be the most likely choices.

D

Deleted member

Id want Rotty, She could throw her head at people and teleport to it.
Maybe hit people with her leg...hammer

Rotty is a weird character guys,

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
If I might be so bold, I feel as though emotions have been running a bit too high around here lately. Every fanbase has their detractors/haters and I feel as though resorting to character assassinations in an attempt to prove a point accomplishes the opposite effect and only serves to show your insecurity. It's a two-way street.

There's no need to get bent out of shape over any of this. Shantae has decent enough odds of appearing as a playable fighter and if not that, she has nearly guaranteed odds of appearing in some capacity (most likely as an AT). Even the latter would be a massive boon to her series and could help foster significant growth for her and her franchise. A lot of characters might not even receive the luxury of a silver lining in this vein.

Try to take a step back, take a deep breath and enjoy the ride.~

WreckitRyan

Smash Apprentice
Assist trophy= Rottytops
Shantae’s entrance= riding in on Wrench with Sky
Stage hazard= Risky Boots in her ship
Adventure mode boss= Squid Baron

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
^ It would be hilarious if Squid Baron broke the 4th wall and mentioned how he's moving up in the world, becoming a boss in Smash Bros. xD

"I mean frankly, I probably should have been playable instead of you, Shantae."

Ha ha.

Last edited:

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
^ It would be hilarious if Squid Baron broke the 4th wall and mentioned how he's moving up in the world, becoming a boss in Smash Bros. xD

Ha ha.
When i came across this character playing Pirate's Curse(My first game i've played so far) i instantly loved the character, he's quite amazing.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh yeah if Shantae is in who would you guys want as the Assist Trophy? I think it would be Bolo personally or Risky Boots.
It just occurred to me that the moment Simon (and Richter) catch sight of him, they would ask Bolo where he got the Vampire Killer, as he's not a Belmont. Then they'd probably panic over the idea that Dracula's spread his influence to other worlds now.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Squid Baron should be in in some fashion if Shantae is playable. He's almost as iconic to the franchise as she is at this point.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I know she’s technically not from Shantae, but I think Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force would make a great assist trophy

Ha ha.
Would be just written out in text? cause Squid Baron doesn’t have a voice yet

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman

Ha ha.
"Everybody's talking about those kids that are also squids... I've been around way longer than those little fashion hipsters!"

LunarLiv

Smash Apprentice
Honestly if she gets in, that'll be good. I'll probably be openly screaming to my friends on the Discord server I'm on, but like... I'm not gonna try rubbing it in people's faces or anything 'cause I don't like that, and they'll probably blow up on their own for a week or two before forgetting about it and moving on to the next popular character to hate.

This thread is still my favourite place to support Shantae tho, it at least doesn't have the big hate bandwagon.

Top Bottom