• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SF:E - Eugene, Oregon (04-28-07)

Aftermath

Smash Champion
It might be an appeal to authority, but guess what? Regardless of what type of fallacy some website says it is, I do in fact know far more about the smash community and what are good ways to attract people. Somehow you think that advertising solves everything, but you need to realize that off of college campuses, you can't freely advertise anywhere and have everyone know that where they are going is OK. You can't advertise in gaming stores unless you talk to the Corporate HQ a few months in advance and get permission in writing to advertise an agreed upon number of flyers or whatever for so long and only in one establishment. So that makes mainstream gamestore advertising go out the window, and smaller stores will want you to just hold it there or not advertise at all. The only place I've been able to find that has no-strings-attached advertising is card shops and comic stores, but they don't have desirable people if you are holding it at your house.

So tell me, what do you know of running tournaments and attracting people? It does a whole lot to say that I really don't know what I'm talking about and smugly imply that you know far better ways, so suggest something non-terrible that might work or stop suggesting that I'm not a good authority on it in Oregon.

Keep in mind that anything under 20 people entering is failure.

joshisrad

Smash Lord
I never once said you don't know what your talking about, nor that you weren't an authority to be considered. No idea where you got that from. I know that arguing is a fruitless task because 9 times out of 10 neither side is going to move from their original stance. It's the way humans work. My response is the same: I will go no further- does this really need to continue?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Surely. But to assume he is right just because he has experience would be an appeal to authority. Fallible.
Fairly certain that at least implies that I'm not a good source. Did you really think they were just saying the stuff they did because of my join date?

But whatever, if that's not what you meant then I'll drop it.

Riot6777

Smash Ace
Excuse me? You're saying you'll only insult someone if you've been insulted first, yes?

Let's not forget:

oops, meant to merge this with the last post. whatever.
Yeah you make a point I said all of that word for word but for you to try an make me look stupid on the smash boards with the last thing you said in the Gresham area made me want to lash out of course.

I am sorry if you feel all butt hurt and picked on by everyone suck it up! Get over it! and start a new topic your starting to give me a head ache.

I argue to argue have the time what are you doing? I have fun watching people like you get so mad over what some people say I argue just to either drive people crazy or watch them wine like you are.

Everyone who knows me such as James, Jesse and many others know I just argue in here to do so but you have gotten butt hurt the most out of everyone on here.

Sad....... sad..... little...... man...... ::puts head down::

When the time comes for the OSU tournament if your still butt hurt you can fight me in a smash match to try and solve your problem. If you can beat me I wont give you and crap but if you lose I wont let you rest ^.^ BTW not a threat a promise :laugh:

:psycho: ~Riot~ :psycho:

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
You're making quite a few assumptions. "sound like," "leads me to believe," etc. Hasty generalizations. Based on too little evidence. You don't know me. Don't judge if you're not sure. I'm just me; no less, no more.
I simply made observations, I freely admit they are not more than that, and specifically worded them so they would be regarded as such. An observation is not an assumption.

I think I'm pretty well off, thanks.
If you say so. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise.

Surely. But to assume he is right just because he has experience would be an appeal to authority. Fallible. But don't think of this as an argument from fallacy. I've already said I won't continue the actual argument any further. But when someone tries to attack pride, that's hard to let pass.
It's a fallacy if our goal is to prove with absolute metaphysical certainty, which it's not, and in fact I don't see how it could ever be (practically) attained in this case. Thus instead of constructing a proof, we must consider mere evidence, and do risk evaluation in order to proceed in the best way. Unless well-defined laws of nature are in direct application to a problem (and sometimes even when it is), "proof" is generally impractical or impossible, so berating someone for not providing proof their argument (especially when they did not claim proof in the first place) is really a waste of time and effort. There is no way to prove beforehand that James is right, and it is unreasonable to ask him to do so. But based on his experience, and other evidence he provided, he is substantially more likely to be.

Instead of berating his lack of rigor in his "proof," try asking about what made him come to his conclusion. It's friendlier, less pompous, and really, it achieves your goal more efficiently anyway, bottom line (if your goal was in fact to determine what the better option for the community is).

Would you like some of my advice? See, I'm asking you before giving it.
It has been my experience that those who would benefit from advice rarely actively seek it out (not that you necessarily fit this paradigm). Regardless of what you may think, I have no ill intent towards you at all. I am simply offering perspective. If you are too proud to consider my advice or "change for other people's sake," so be it. I'm not, I'm willing to hear your advice provided it is relevant.

EDIT: Just so it's clear, I don't have any more interest arguing about the whole tourney venue thing any more than you do, but my post aren't really about that anyway.

brdy_

Smash Lord
Joshisrad should quit trying to point out logical fallacies he learned in his college English class and stop being a ******. You fail.

joshisrad's next post: "That, my good sir, is an ad hominem. I'm then going to go on try to sound like I'm smarter than you by pointing out logical fallacies in your posts on a website about Super Smash Bros."

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If there is one more post on this thread that is not wholly on topic for the original intent, I will just get a mod to lock it.

Thank you.

DMStudios

Smash Journeyman
Wow, the last two pages were a blur.

Anyway, back on topic, t!MmY, You shouldn't have SF:E so often. I can't request all the Saturdays off!! Or, maybe you should. I just won't make it to all of them:(

By the way, I'm about level 37 and have 6 badges.

mangler

Smash Cadet
Gayvid, this is the second "past experience recollection" you've made up for me now. We've never had any kind of debate nor have you witnessed me in one prior to the one which has recently passed. I try to avoid debates, and when I do find myself in one, the case is always me "winning." I wouldn't argue about something if I wasn't sure I was right. I quit this one because I'm sick of it all. It's sort of pointless explaining things to you useless cretins who say things like that, but I can at least take comfort in knowing that there are people like timmy to laugh with. Does this really need to go any further?
you say u do not do personal attacks but your first word was one.

Top Bottom