• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Santa Barbara / San Luis Obispo Smash: Smash Club this Tuesday at HFH @ 8 pm

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Friendlies should be played to learn. Generally you should not be results oriented. It does not matter whether you win or lose in friendlies since you play to learn. In friendlies, you should not play to win, but instead you should play to learn (even if it means trying out a new strategy and risk being kicked out of rotations for losing). Instead of saying it is boring that a person camps / plays defensively, you should be asking yourself, "If I was playing a defensive / campy Peach in a tournament match, what would I do? What stages would I strike out for the first match? What stages should I counterpick if I were to lose? Does this :peach: camp only when the :peach: has a percent lead or does this :peach: camp even when the :peach: loses expecting the opponent to get nervous / frustrated / pressured / etc.? I remember hearing that people complained when John was playing in friendlies, but in reality, :sheik: and :peach: are defensive characters and should be played defensively. When I was in San Jose over the summer, I played Tafokints who was a really good unranked :sheik: He almost timed me out in a friendly and he won but I did not feel frustrated or complained at all since in the :sheik: versus :peach: match up, matches are expected to last long and even time out since they are both defensive characters. In fact, I would say that if the match ended earlier than 4 minutes, the match up would be played incorrectly. The fact that you made the switch to :falcon: shows that your :falcon: performed better than your :ganondorf: on Dream Land against my :peach: Also our doubles tournament set was close. Good set.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Don't worry Master_Helmet. Anthony and I both agree you da bess.

And Brawl will run as long as there are locals who are interested in it and especially if they want to improve at that game (there are barely any locals who want this for Smash64, a primary reason I'm not promoting that in club). Furthermore I'm keeping my eye on the Brawl hacking scene, which is something I want to promote to everyone in general. Balanced Brawl, Brawl minus, and hopefully Project M as well are points of interest.

Master_Helmet

Smash Apprentice
Funk it looks like you play brawl so I will let you stick to that "awesome" game.

No Huy its cuz all i had to do was play a faster character to grab you and i knew id beat you cuz ur play stlye is not only whack but predictable. So downplay whatever im saying however you want. Im just telling you the truth about your style and how i feel about you as a player. Timing out in friendlies, camping and stalling is never gonna beat really good smart players. When I play you i know what to expect and if i lose its not cuz you beat me but its that i beat myself. End of discussion.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Helmet: Brawl is better than you give credit for, as long as you play a decent character it's awesome. Plus, some characters are underrated and just need better representation (NOW THERE'S THE FUN).

Huy: YOU CONTRADICT YOURSELF RIDICULOUSLY
"Friendlies should be played to learn. Generally you should not be results oriented. It does not matter whether you win or lose in friendlies since you play to learn. In friendlies, you should not play to win, but instead you should play to learn (even if it means trying out a new strategy and risk being kicked out of rotations for losing). "

You ALWAYS make your criticisms of players based on friendlies, LOOK HOW HARD YOU BEEN RIDING DANTE, TRYING TO BEAT HIM IN FRIENDLIES. I see forum quotes all over this discussion with your name on them saying you went 5-0 and such on players.

Also, get off Dante's *** about a tournament that went well. If it went bad for you, talk to him, stop posting on forums this nonsense because you're just rallying support for HIM not yourself by looking like an ***.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
But brawl matches take 8 minutes each so the they needed that number of setups lol
just kidding brawl ppl :). Actually I'm not really... cuz those matches ARE looooooong

edit this was at huys last post lol

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
I placed alongside you in Melee singles Cho! I am so proud of my luck/performance!

SpicyCrab

Smash Rookie
Good games every one.

Way to drop me in Singles Sheen. I was planning on beating you round one and then telling you I was leaving so you could advance any way but you just crushed me so I never got my fun!

Good play every one, good games. Hopefully I can get a better performance out next time.

Good **** on the SLO guys for taking singles and knocking us out of doubles too. Good games guys.

Master_Helmet

Smash Apprentice
See I dont play brawl but i understand others like it. I didn't like it at this tournament because dual entrants to both melee and brawl extended and delayed the melee tournament which in turn made me miss singles. You should have to pick one or the other so things like this could be avoided. Only reason i hate brawl

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Helmet, I will agree that the tournament was not run as well as it should have been. Next time a tournament is hosted, I will be certain it is run more efficiently.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
To John: I never said this tournament went bad. In fact I even said thanks to Dante / David for hosting. I wasn't "trying to beat people in friendlies." Me beating people in friendlies is just a result of trying out new stuff and testing old stuff to see if they still work. Also I would like to see the post where you called me out for "celebrating" a 5-0 victory against a person in friendlies. If I wanted to win all of my friendlies, I would have went all :peach: but as you can see I've been picking up :jigglypuff:

Everyone else: Also why are you wasting your time posting in this thread when you should be following the results for RoM 3. Prog was giving play by plays on the livestream chat.

:212:

qmann28

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, entrants into both games made things take way longer than they should have. I'm not sure of a way around that though since it's not really fair to force people to choose one or the other.

Andy, I wish we could have played more friendlies. More Doc-Samus action would have been fun, especially since I rarely get to play that matchup. More friendlies with everyone would have been nice actually, there were a lot of people I didn't get a chance to play with.

David, I alway hear you saying you want to promote Smash hacks, but you never mention Brawl+. Is there any particular reason why? Just curious

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
David does not like Brawl + since it is too newbie friendly. :) Also Nelson from A.S. Tech wants David Mendez to send him the clip of the interviews, the article about the tournament / LAN Party / etc.

Also to John: the "criticisms" I give players in friendlies are to help them. I never understood the concept of someone else getting angry at you for giving them constructive criticism simply because the benefits are not immediately seen. For example, let's say I read over your essay and pointed out grammar mistakes to you, you would be happy immediately on the spot since my criticisms will be immediately seen as beneficial (you would have gotten a higher grade since you were able to fix the mistake thanks to my help). But let's say I criticize someone on let's say their mindset, style, mistakes, etc. in Melee, they get angry / frustrated as if I'm trying to make them look dumb or something (I am not trying to make anyone look dumb).

I.C.U.

Smash Rookie
Normally I'm not a fan of teams but I guess there are two exceptions to that rule now, teaming with Jeff and teaming with John. Jeff because he just knees everyone in teams and its funny and we somehow still do really well and John because he has a knack for protecting my generic forward smash spamming marth. KEN COMBO!!!

Anyway had some really great games though I do wish my tourney match with a2zomg could have gone to round 3 so i could have beaten him fair and square (no accidental air dodges off the stage) ;)

On a lighter note congrats to S.B. for mindgaming SLO into losing the worst region in California competition.

Oh by the way do you guys know that i wobbled mew2king a few years back? don't think I've ever mentioned that.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
David, I alway hear you saying you want to promote Smash hacks, but you never mention Brawl+. Is there any particular reason why? Just curious
Brawl+ sucks. Horrible game competitively.

The changes don't make sense, and the combos are too brain dead easy to do. Characters for the most part are really linear from my experience. It's as gay as Melee, except it takes virtually no skill investment to actually be competent.

I don't practice the game at all, but if I can almost effortlessly beat fans of it who claim to be experienced, I think something is horribly wrong with it.

I'm very specific when I say I want to promote Balanced Brawl, Brawl Minus, and possibly Project M. Those I believe are the only hacks that are worth investing time in.

The idea about Balanced Brawl is that the Brawl game engine itself is mostly solid, but the gaps between tiers, and the presence of certain abuses does lower the quality of competitive Brawl. Balanced Brawl goes to great length to remove the abuses and generally improving the quality of every character in the game without changing how they are fundamentally supposed to be played. For the most part you can use the same playstyle from regular Brawl and it works well in Balanced Brawl. Just now characters like Ganon and Falcon actually can legitimately win in competitive play.

Brawl Minus is actually really noob friendly like Brawl+. There's a lot of brain dead easy combos and gay abuses, but Brawl Minus allows a level of creativity and non-linear gameplay due to globally giving everyone more options. Besides being hilarious, there's options enough for building reasonable competitive gameplay.

Project M I have no idea what's in store, and while I'm slightly skeptical as to how they will balance it, time will only tell as to what the developers have in store for us.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
David does not like Brawl + since it is too newbie friendly. :) Also Nelson from A.S. Tech wants David Mendez to send him the clip of the interviews, the article about the tournament / LAN Party / etc.

Also to John: the "criticisms" I give players in friendlies are to help them. I never understood the concept of someone else getting angry at you for giving them constructive criticism simply because the benefits are not immediately seen. For example, let's say I read over your essay and pointed out grammar mistakes to you, you would be happy immediately on the spot since my criticisms will be immediately seen as beneficial (you would have gotten a higher grade since you were able to fix the mistake thanks to my help). But let's say I criticize someone on let's say their mindset, style, mistakes, etc. in Melee, they get angry / frustrated as if I'm trying to make them look dumb or something (I am not trying to make anyone look dumb).
Although you have good intentions behind things you say, it's better not to say anything at all if there's a chance of it insulting/offending someone. If you really feel that you need to tell this person your opinion on their smash game, wait until you're both more comfortable with each other to the point where they wouldn't take it offensively.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Nice to see yall. And thanks for coming and saying hi Andymosity :). Hope to see more of you in the future!

I hope everyones going to champs btw aside from brawl and melee theres going to be a lot of other games too.

And crackle Im trying to get people to come to smashboards more xD

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
Everytime Dante changes this thread title, a new person who doesn't post here, views the thread. The Kirby one made Lucien and T!mmy view this thread. This thread title made shanus read this thread. :) Also Andy, next time I will use :peach: Also John, learn how to quote. There is a quote button so you use it. If you don't want to quote a wall of text, then you can still delete the text you don't want in the quote. Also Joe, Jun's SN is actually Junk and the first character is an integral. Also I was wondering Andy, when you put on headphones at the tournament, were those noise cancelling ones or you had music? If you had music, you should play this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxlLwGYNVGE

I can listen to this song all day long. :colorful:

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Yes I know how to use a quote button metalheadreflectsstatements.

Andymosity

Smash Journeyman
yeah they were Bose noise cancelling headphones. haha that's a good idea. that song is too good. i'm trying to learn it on guitar, but those really fast parts are hard lol

DrAwesome

Smash Journeyman
GGs at the LAN party guys. SB and SLO.

I was pretty off most of the day but no johns it just makes me want to play more to learn.

With that said I know its monday but anyone down to play today? =D

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I don't want to host today...if you host a mini event, I might consider dropping by. After I get my homework done.

I.C.U.

Smash Rookie
I'm down to play if someone's hosting today. BTW Dante your thread naming skills are top tier.

It's absolutely true. I was watching and it was awesome. Especially to watch M2K put down his controller in frustration
I owe it all to you doing it to me and getting those creative griefing juices flowing.

For the slo guys, the joke in SB is to act all surprised when i bring up wobbling m2k since I'm required by law to mention it at least once at every smash gathering.

mmmmulti edit: I can't stop laughing at this doubles team name
We Drove 90 Miles to get our car antenna stolen while eating Korean BBQ
, actually most of the names are pretty funny.

metalreflectslime

Chemistry PhD Programs?
David, Nelson asked me to ask you for a copy of the article you were going to write as well as a copy of the video clip you filmed. If you do not give it to him, we risk on having an LPT next term so don't blame me for not securing the LPT next term. Again, this is Nelson's request not mine. I will PM you in 72 hours if I don't get a response.

:212:

Top Bottom