• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor: Is Shovel Knight Coming To Super Smash Bros?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I doubt he HAS to put them in, but what would be the point of the ballot if they are not going to put in characters that got a large amount of votes?

*Sakurai looking at results for smash ballot*

Sakurai: "Hmm...it looks like Shovel Knight is one of the highest voted characters for smash."

Sakurai: "I would like to see him in smash, but you know what? He isn't iconic enough so no I won't put him in the game."

^^^This is not what is going to happen. In the case that Sakurai would not have a problem with Shovel Knight being in the game other than not being iconic enough, he isn't going to let that be the sole reason for him not being in the game.
Sakurai: "Wow, look at all the heartfelt suggestions! Which would be the most fun character to play as?"

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
It would be nice if he got in, a nice Indie rep. But, I highly doubt he will be the "Ballot Character". Reason? The Ballot only ends on October 3rd, so they shouldn't announce the winner earlier.

jaffex

Smash Rookie
I know that in the UK at least, Nintendo has already revealed & shown off a shovel knight amiibo. So I wouldn't rule him out of appearing as DLC just yet, although from what I understand the game isn't as big in Japan.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Just want to point out, there is still another Shovel Knight Amiibo that could potentially be released specifically for Smash. There's already a prototype. Definitely think there's still a good chance he becomes DLC.

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
I don't think he's gonna be in smash, but I don't understand how getting a shovel knight amiibo "disconfims" him. They can easily make another shovel knight amiibo, like they did with the mario ones and prob will with pokemon for pokken u.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
Note, you can see the smash symbol on the base of that alternative design.

STOB

Master of Robots
NNID
Stobby_Beeles
That doesn't say anything about it being a generic base that Nintendo gave them.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That doesn't say anything about it being a generic base that Nintendo gave them.
No, but combined with the base concepts and how everything else (the packaging artwork and even the color of the real deal's base) were made specifically to distance it from Smash, it's pretty obvious they didn't intend on this to be Smash related from the get-go.

Back when they started the concept stuff, the only amiibo were Smash amiibo. So if Nintendo were to send them a base design it would be a Smash one. I would hope Yacht club wouldn't blunder and assume SK was going to be in Smash just because of an amiibo...

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
Man you know what people seem to be taking a dump on shovel knight a lot on this thread and im not so sure I agree. If smash is meant to be a celebration of nintendo history wouldn't it make sense for an indie character to get in? I mean you could go with Shantae if you want to but what with the new amibo and the presence shovel knight has had in nintendo recently I think he would make a great addition.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Man you know what people seem to be taking a dump on shovel knight a lot on this thread and im not so sure I agree. If smash is meant to be a celebration of nintendo history wouldn't it make sense for an indie character to get in? I mean you could go with Shantae if you want to but what with the new amibo and the presence shovel knight has had in nintendo recently I think he would make a great addition.
The only argument I see people giving against him is that he isn't iconic enough, but I highly doubt that even matters if enough people want him in the game.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The only argument I see people giving against him is that he isn't iconic enough, but I highly doubt that even matters if enough people want him in the game.
Highly doubt he even has that many votes, much less if they're even making the ballot a popularity contest instead of a suggestion box.

Again, take everything at face value. Nintendo never said that the character with the most votes would get it, just to vote for your favorite character.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I agree... Smash bros is a celebration of video games from all walks of life- cult classics like earthbound, old and almost forgotten characters like Mr. Game and Watch or ROB, and allstars like Link, Mario, Pacman and Sonic. I don't think there'd be anything wrong with paying tribute to a new icon who took the gaming scene by storm by bringing us back to our roots while still feeling fresh and innovative. I'm thinking the Shovel Knight haters never played the game.

Play it. You'll LOVE it!

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Highly doubt he even has that many votes, much less if they're even making the ballot a popularity contest instead of a suggestion box.

Again, take everything at face value. Nintendo never said that the character with the most votes would get it, just to vote for your favorite character.
I think he is one of the top voted characters for the ballot, but that's not what I'm trying to say. What I'm trying to say is that there are so many people here using "He isn't iconic enough" as their only reason why he won't and/or shouldn't be in. I'm not going to try to argue with some who says he probably didn't get that many votes, because despite me thinking otherwise I don't know if I am right.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
"Not iconic enough" is just ignorant. In what way is Shovel Knight not? He's the mascot of Yacht Club, he has a simple but distinctive look with a bold color scheme. If by "iconic" you mean "well-known," well... Mr. Game & Watch, Greninja, Falco, and most of the Fire Emblem crew are not especially well-known, either!

No matter how you define iconic, it either is a non-argument that Shovel Knight is that, OR it doesn't matter that he potentially isn't.

H-O-G

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Samurai-Edge9
3DS FC
5000-3290-0193
Gunvolt 2 the world!

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Play it. You'll LOVE it!
I have, and I just got the last feat two days ago in preparation for Plague Knight.

"Not iconic enough" is just ignorant. In what way is Shovel Knight not? He's the mascot of Yacht Club, he has a simple but distinctive look with a bold color scheme. If by "iconic" you mean "well-known," well... Mr. Game & Watch, Greninja, Falco, and most of the Fire Emblem crew are not especially well-known, either!

No matter how you define iconic, it either is a non-argument that Shovel Knight is that, OR it doesn't matter that he potentially isn't.
Sakurai defines iconic as a character who has been a household name at some point. Shovel Knight isn't even close to that... Even Snake is better known then Shovel Knight, and Snake didn't get in because he was iconic.

And Sakurai's rule about being iconic enough only counts for third-parties.

Rambeard

Smash Apprentice
I would love for this to be true as I absolutely adore the game, but at the same time he will be one of the most overused characters online.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I would love for this to be true as I absolutely adore the game, but at the same time he will be one of the most overused characters online.
Every DLC character is overused online. After a few weeks he would be used a lot less like the others.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
How about Steve from Minecraft? I know, he has nothing to do with Nintendo, but... Wait... That's not a problem anymore.
It's still incredibly unlikely since Minecraft was bought by Microsoft and Minecraft has never been on a Nintendo console.

Last edited:

Evil Burrito

Smash Cadet
I hope Shovel Knight doesn't get into smash. I honestly don't know why people want him so much, I own Shovel Knight for 3DS and personally I don't find it that great, I'd rather play a megaman game. Since SK is a third party character, I'd rather get some actual Nintendo characters in like King. K Rool or Isaac.

jranks

Smash Cadet
I believe that Nintendo characters should get in before Shovel Knight. I thought Shovel Knight was a great game, but it would be odd seeing an Indie character in Smash. If they HAVE to add a non-Nintendo character, I think it should be a recognizable character that has Nintendo history, maybe Bomberman

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
Honestly, I would take Quote or Curly Brace from Cave Story any day before Shovel Knight. I liked the game a lot, but he seems a bit plain, imho. The odds of any of them getting in, however, is pretty slim. I agree with that argument that SK isn't in line with Sakurai's definition of iconic...

That said, I'm not going to be too choosy with what characters get in. Just because I'm not a huge fan of Pac Man as a character doesn't mean I feel he shouldn't be in the game. Any character that gets in, gets in, end of story. You can play them if you like, I just won't.

Last edited:

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I'm not much of a fan of him being in Smash, but are people seriously "deconfirming" him just because of the Amiibo and that it's not part of the Smash lineup of Amiibo. Have we not learned about assuming things when it comes to Smash?

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
I'm not much of a fan of him being in Smash, but are people seriously "deconfirming" him just because of the Amiibo and that it's not part of the Smash lineup of Amiibo. Have we not learned about assuming things when it comes to Smash?
The Smash community, much like the rest of humanity, like looking for patterns to make sense of things.

We need to remember, life is random and unpredictable. This could be an example of something not following the norm.

Also thanks for not being one of those "deconfirmed!!!11!" people. I mean, it's fine to dislike a character, but when people go out of their way to find deconfirmation of a character just because they're scared the character they want won't get in is just silly.

I'll be happy with whoever gets in because of the ballot, just due to the fact that we get a say on NEW CHARACTERS! It's great! But I won't lie, I love me some SK :3

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
I'll be happy with whoever gets in because of the ballot, just due to the fact that we get a say on NEW CHARACTERS! It's great! But I won't lie, I love me some SK :3
Actually, more like suggesting them. It's still up to Mr. Sakurai if he wants to add any of the most requested characters in.

Top Bottom