• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor: Is Shovel Knight Coming To Super Smash Bros?

MrDKfan

Smash Rookie
well after Artsy Omni trolled everyone with the Rayman bull****
i don´t know what to believe.........

D

Deleted member

Quoting a Youtube comment by the creator of this video…
"For the 100th time, we KNOW the amiibo art is fake. We're not stupid. It is obviously fanmade. It is completely irrelevant and has NOTHING to do with the Nintendo Life report. Our report was on rumours we had heard from our own sources, unrelated to the other rumours out there. Any comments about how the amiibo art being fake somehow disproves this will be deleted, because I can't deal with how dumb those are."

tl;dr The amiibo section of the video should be ignored. The report the video is about deals with "reliable retail sources" leaking Shovel Knight DLC.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
In response to the mass of "not iconic enough" posts all I have to say is this: If Shovel Knight was voted in via massive vote surge in the ballot then you are simply wrong. That level of popularity is the only significance of whether or not he's "Iconic" which, mind you, has nothing to do with how OLD something is. Shovel Knight could be so instantly Iconic that he'll be the first indie character to bust his way into smash. Either way, if this is announced he IS certified iconic due to the votes being proof, and if he isn't then you are correct and he wasn't iconic enough! ONLY time will tell.

And in regards to "the ballot hasn't closed yet": they have not explicitly stated that they wouldn't be putting any new characters out using the ballot before it closes. I'm sure they got right to work on some of the very high voted characters right away.

Full disclosure: I expect King K. Rool and Shovel Knight to be coming along at some point AND they are the two characters I voted for. I'm very optimistic.
Well then.
Please tell me that Shovel Knight is on the same level as these five.
:4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::4ryu::snake:
Enlighten me.

the101

Smash Journeyman
Outside Bandai Namco Studios with Binoculars...
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Wasn't this rumor already debunked?
I think you're relying on the Spanish retailer who listed a Shovel Knight amiibo on their site. It was thought to be a mistake as indicated by Yacht Club Games, the developer behind Shovel Knight, who stated as much, claiming this to be untrue and Shovel Knight's inclusion in Smash to just be a rumor.

However, Tamaki of Nintendo Life, who is known for having many connections with people in the video game industry, investigated this further and this article is about what he was told. Based on his knowledge of cancelled or unfinished games like Metroid Dread, Project HAMMER, F-Zero for Wii U, and Kid Icarus for Wii, I'm inclined to trust what he tells us. Whether his sources in the retailer industry are being honest with him is unknown, but I wouldn't be surprised if Shovel Knight DLC came into fruition.

Enlightenment: :4shulk:
Shulk isn't a third-party character. Nintendo owns Xenoblade Chronicles and absorbed its developer, MonolithSoft, years ago.

Last edited:

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
**** SHovel face! Their are so much more third party characters that have been requested for to long. Banjoe & Kazooie, Simmon belmont, heck even bomberman be better. Shovel knight isn't even well known in japan. Shovel knight may be appearing in many different titles, but he doesn't deserve the spot. I want characters that we smash fans have been asking for since melee and brawl. King K Rool, Isaac, Krystal, Banjoe. Not these new generation of characters. Save that for smash bros 5. Smash 4 DLC should been only long requested characters. I **** hate shovel face.... I'll only buy him if you have the following character. I'll only buy him if they add King K. Rool as DLC. Then i'll buy shovel knight, but if you don't have k rool..... then you can forget shovel face.

Artmastercorey

Smash Journeyman
I do think shovel knight is a really cool character. But I dont think he's legendary enough over other character when he's only got one game thats not nintendo exclusive even. But if he made it in he'd be fun to play for sure.

Last edited:

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
IF this is true, it will break ALL of Sakurai's "rules" for inclusion of characters in Smash.

I don't think this is true though since Shovel Knight hasn't been that important to Nintendo and has a net total of 1 year (or less) as his legacy. His game hasn't been out in Japan yet, a major factor in consideration of Smash DLC.

He might be cool as a character but not relevant enough. Even Shantae who has a long history with Nintendo would be better suited as a DLC character than Shovel Knight. Atleast she has 10 years of legacy.

I look forward to Nintendo characters making it in first followed by others. And Shovel Knight, no matter how awesome, will still be near the end of my list.

Pit_Icarus

Smash Apprentice
*sigh* More. Freaking. Leaks. The amount of these leaks is getting to the point where i'm gonna need to find a replacement video from my standard JonTron "We're doing this again!" just to change it up.

That's not to say I don't want Shovel Knight to be in Sm4sh (I'm probably neutral on the matter), I'm just getting tired with all these leaks/rumors. I understand the ballot being hype central, but I don't think that warrants this high density of possible characters.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Enlightenment: :4shulk:
Shulk is a Nintendo character among a cast that has always included obscure Nintendo character. Shovel Knight is a third-party character when ever single third-party character we got was legitimately iconic and popular among a wider gaming audience and Sakurai explicitly stated that any third-party character is a special occassion and Shovel Knight does not fit that qualification

When I asked about the volume of third party characters present in the new Smash Bros. game, Sakurai noted that Mega Man himself was a very special arrangement - that bringing in non-Nintendo characters can be quite the challenge. "Adding third-party characters should be considered a very special case. In the last game, when we added Sonic and Snake, there were lots of different hoops to jump through as far as getting approvals and making sure all the parties involved were happy with the way things went. You can consider it a very special circumstance for that to happen," Sakurai said. "Even in cases like adding Pokemon characters, there are a lot of parties involved and there’s a lot of wrangling. It’s much tougher than people can imagine. I know lots of people have requests and their own ideas about third-party characters that would work, but I want people to understand that adding a third-party character like Mega Man is a very special situation."
As for the characters we got as third-party characters?

:4sonic:?-This and his franchise selling around 150 million copies along with how important he was to Nintendo history precisely because of the Sega-Nintendo rivalry pretty much says it all. Plus, he was the most heavily requested character for Brawl by far.
:snake:?-He's the face of the franchise that helped popularise the stealth genre in the first place and his franchise has sold around 41 million copies.
:4megaman:? His franchise has sold around 30 million copies and Classic Mega Man has a much bigger history with Nintendo than Shovel Knight, considering how many exclusive games he had on Nintendo consoles. Also, he was the most heavily requested newcomer character for Smash 4.
:4pacman:?- An arcade legend and the most famous video game character of them all
:4ryu:?Like MegaMan, his franchise also sold over 30 million copies and his franchise is pretty much the franchise that popularized fighting games. Him and several other SF2 characters are referenced in pop culture to this day

Shovel Knight? a one-shot character from a game that didn't even sell one million copies.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please pease please please please please please please please please please please don't be true!!! I don't want indie characters in this game.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
I'm having trouble believing this, but I really want it to be legit. He may not be iconic, but he fits the Smash vibe so well......

On the other hand, not K. Rool. Boo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I personally don't think Shovel Knight is coming to Smash (at least not based on these rumours or in relation to them), but I think a standalone Amiibo a la Chibi Robo could totally happen.

Shovel Knight is getting a physical release soon on all major platforms including Wii U, and YCG announced that Nintendo fans will be getting some kind of big, "unexpected" surprise. I would have to think that would tie-in to the actual Shovel Knight game somehow, and an Amiibo of Shovel Knight that has some kind of functionality in the game would make total sense. Said Amiibo could also be bundled with the physical release of Shovel Knight on Wii U, and could have functionality in Nintendo games, such as unlocking costumes in Super Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World.

Of course all of this could still happen if he got into Smash and had an Amiibo, but I think this is more likely as it means YCG have more control over the timing of when the Amiibo releases, and can just release it with the physical version of Shovel Knight. A Smash Shovel Knight Amiibo also would not be released in time for the physical Shovel Knight release, as Mewtwo and Falco would still have to come out by that point, and then the rest of the DLC characters too. A standalone, Shovel Knight branded Amiibo however, can come out whenever.

Last edited:

smashboy12

Smash Cadet
To anyone saying Shovel Knight came out last year, so he's to recent to get in.
Greninja wasn't even in Pokemon before he appeared in Smash. When Sakurai was making the roster, The Pokemon Company sent him pics, and rough explanations. Sakurai made up his moveset and put it in Smash. Mind you this was during 2012.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
To anyone saying Shovel Knight came out last year, so he's to recent to get in.
Greninja wasn't even in Pokemon before he appeared in Smash. When Sakurai was making the roster, The Pokemon Company sent him pics, and rough explanations. Sakurai made up his moveset and put it in Smash. Mind you this was during 2012.
Again, you're comparing a third-party character to a Nintendo character, despite third-party characters having a much stricter criteria than Nintendo characters.

That said, people who are using recency against him are completely missing the point of why he isn't likely. It's not because he is too recent, but because he is simply not an iconic third-party character when we have always had iconic third-party characters.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
i really don't know how to feel about this guy I can't say anything really because I have not played his game it does look fun and all but there is a certain thresh hold for characters like him to get in this game but all I really want is fresh gameplay

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
I've been sayin' he'd get since the beginning. Most of you who are close enough to me know that I look into the technical factors as well as the popularity. I think he's one of the only characters as requested for Smash as he is that has a good chance. Long before this, I flat out said "Shovel Knight WILL get in Smash." I'm sorry to anybody who believes their requested character should get in before he does, but Shovel Knight has been practically confirmed since his inception. He has far more potential to be a uniquely played character than just about anybody else this high on the ballot. He's just too good to pass up.

That's not to say he's my number one character for Smash. I'm saying I believe within all reason that he'll get in.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
Well then.
Please tell me that Shovel Knight is on the same level as these five.
:4megaman::4sonic::4pacman::4ryu::snake:
Enlighten me.
Shulk is a Nintendo character among a cast that has always included obscure Nintendo character. Shovel Knight is a third-party character when ever single third-party character we got was legitimately iconic and popular among a wider gaming audience and Sakurai explicitly stated that any third-party character is a special occassion and Shovel Knight does not fit that qualification

:4sonic:?-This and his franchise selling around 150 million copies along with how important he was to Nintendo history precisely because of the Sega-Nintendo rivalry pretty much says it all. Plus, he was the most heavily requested character for Brawl by far.
:snake:?-He's the face of the franchise that helped popularise the stealth genre in the first place and his franchise has sold around 41 million copies.
:4megaman:? His franchise has sold around 30 million copies and Classic Mega Man has a much bigger history with Nintendo than Shovel Knight, considering how many exclusive games he had on Nintendo consoles. Also, he was the most heavily requested newcomer character for Smash 4.
:4pacman:?- An arcade legend and the most famous video game character of them all
:4ryu:?Like MegaMan, his franchise also sold over 30 million copies and his franchise is pretty much the franchise that popularized fighting games. Him and several other SF2 characters are referenced in pop culture to this day

Shovel Knight? a one-shot character from a game that didn't even sell one million copies.
Sales don't necessarily reflect a character's legacy, and Sakurai has never said anything to suggest that. In fact this is reflected in inclusions such as Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Shulk, as you specifically mentiond. Obscurity isn't as prevalent as a factor as some people claim. Little Mac was primarily recognized in the western territories and was considered very obscure in Japan. Sonic himself has seen a dwindling decline in popularity in Japan, but returned regardless. As for Shovel Knight being a potential third-part representative from a lesser known developer, I actually believe this works in his favor. I would imagine there'd be a lot less "hoops" to jump through with Yackt Club Games given their small status in comparision to Sega, Capcom, Namco Bandai, and Konami. Considering the fact that Yacht Club has been very vocal about wanting Shovel Knight in Smash in the first place and in being Nintendo fans themselves, I would think negociations would be easier. It might even be an easier exchange in comparision to including the Pokemon characters.

Also, Shovel Knight isn't too obscure for the platforms he's appeared on. To a broader audience he may be unknown, but his titular game is prominently advertised on both the Nintendo 3DS and Wii U. He has a healthy amount of Ballot support (while not necessarily being the most frequently requested either), a critically celebrated game (which is more than can be said about the latest installments of Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog and Metal Gear Solid) that will eventually come to Japan. Roy's inclusion in Melee is proof that cross-promotion for future games isn't out of the question. Despite what weighs against Shovel Knight's inclusion, I don't think it's too unlikely. Nowhere is it stated that Shovel Knight's inclusion would be on par with that of a character from Capcom or Sega, particularly since he's from a small independant developer that would probably be more leniant.

Last edited:

MrDKfan

Smash Rookie
i personally think that indie gaming would need representation.
but we got that new little gamethat is and indie crossover LOL

Shane Lee Shin

Smash Apprentice
Shovel knight isnt my preference, but it makes a lot of sense. He sticks out as the most iconic indie character out there. Kuddos to him and his developers if he makes it.

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
a critically celebrated game (which is more than can be said about the latest installments of Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic the Hedgehog and Metal Gear Solid). /quote]
I can understand the first three, but.....
Metal Gear? Seriously?

The Phantom Pain has been getting 10s across the board ever since the embargo went up.

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Considering Sakurai explicitly stated that he won't just add any third-party characters, along with the fact that every single third-party character we got was legitimately iconic to a wider gaming audience, I don't believe this rumour for a moment considering Shovel Knight is the definition of "just any third-party character"
I must agree with this post--which is why I don't have high hopes for Sora or Gunvolt, even if they would be unique as a fighter. If Shovel Knight were 100% Nintendo, then I could see him getting away with being added. In mine opinion, the most we can--and should--expect is a trophy.

[EDIT] If we do get one more third-party character, mine money's on Bomberman, since he's hugely iconic as well.

Last edited:

HONY

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1450-7268

You're quoting Sakurai from an article from 2013. Idk how closely you follow smash but if you're even in the hemisphere of news you know that he quite frequently goes completely against things he's previously said. Such as when he said no further balance patches would be made and then we proceeded to receive several of them over the next few months. I'd also love to quote right back at you a more recent Sakurai stating that "From now on, it is going to be fan service". What that says to me is that as long as it's a VIDEO GAME CHARACTER (The one and only rule that is listed on the smash ballot page) and as long as that character has fan demand and get the votes then they will be considered for smash.

I'm not here to say it's a sure thing but I AM sure that all any of us can do right now is speculate. ONLY time will tell.

Also I GUARANTEE Shovel Knight surpasses 1 million sold within the next 6 months. It's already sold over 700k.

And no need to cheekily dismiss my Shulk example, calling him an honest to god "Nintendo character" is quite a stretch. He's lucky to be in the game.

the101

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4854-7073-5738
I can understand the first three, but.....
Metal Gear? Seriously?
The Phantom Pain has been getting 10s across the board ever since the embargo went up.
If I recall, not too many people were pleased to see that Konami "split" Metal Gear Solid V into two different installments, being Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pains. Given that both titles did well (in Phantom Pains case, very well) this "hiccup" can be excused, however during Phantom Pains' development it became quite apparent of the internal struggles facing Konami as it moves into the more profitable mobile game-based industry and in dismissing Hideo Kojima, who is essentially the Shigeru Miyamoto of Konami, from the company. I think the future of the Metal Gear Solid series is uncertain at best, despite Phantom Pains being a critically well-received title. Than again, it would be the least sinful game on a shelf containg Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, I grant you that.

Last edited:

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
If I recall, not too many people were pleased to see that Konami "split" Metal Gear Solid V into two different installments, being Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pains. Given that both titles did well (in Phantom Pains case, very well) this "hiccup" can be excused, however during Phantom Pains' development it became quite apparent of the internal struggles facing Konami as it moves into the more profitable mobile game-based industry and in dismissing Hideo Kojima, who is essentially the Shigeru Miyamoto of Konami, from the company. I think the future of the Metal Gear Solid series is uncertain at best, despite Phantom Pains being a critically well-received title. Than again, it would be the least sinful game on a shelf containg Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures 2 and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric, I grant you that.
Ok.
I thought you were just referring to review scores. That's all.

a_meme

Smash Rookie
He doesn't deserve to be in. I'm not saying I don't want him in, Shovel Knight is my favorite platformer game of all time, but he doesn't deserve to be in. The 5 3rd party characters we've had have all been huge iconic characters. Megaman is iconic. Ryu is iconic. Sonic is iconic. Pacman is iconic. Snake is iconic. But Shovel Knight isn't. When I think indie games I think Cave Story. Shantae. Super Meat Boy. I think he'd be a decently cool character, but he doesn't deserve it in the slightest.

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
I hope not. There are so many other third party characters that deserve it more. If Shovel Knight gets in instead of Shantae, then I am going to be pissed.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Because Shantae deserves it more? I dont understand the blind hatred towards Shantae. She deserves this spot much, much more than Shovel Knight.
Personally, I don't like shante. but I'm not a big fan of shovel knight either. If i chose, it would be him over her.

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
Shovel Knight is great, but Simon Belmont makes more sense to me as a character, Castlevania was a staple series on the NES, and Castlevania 4 was a launch title on SNES, plus there were Castlevania games on n64, really good ones on GBA and DS, and a new one with Simon on 3ds

Top Bottom