• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor: Is Shovel Knight Coming To Super Smash Bros?

B4ssick L3e

Smash Cadet
Also I have noticed most people doing mock polls do not take into account that the survey asks your gender, this may affect who gets in, like we could get a top voted by men char, women char, and top overall

Heropon~

Smash Rookie
Guys...this is all just a cover-up for Reyn time, baby.

Honestly though, I'm not really a fan of Shovel Knight.
Seems like he'd end up being a pretty boring character, IMO, but my opinion is probably wrong considering I've never played his game.

Last edited:

Psifi ¤WG¤

Banned via Warnings
NNID
skullkid 11803
i want this to happen, i really do.but i feel as if its too late for the yacht club crew. if the want shovel knight in, theyre going to have to localize and translate it into japanese. and i cant stress localization enough. smash bros just isnt the place for an indie developers only character. i mean, i actually hope that yacht clubs next game is not a sequel to shovel knight. i do want one, but maybe after 2 more IP's. shovel knight might nit even be the mascot for YC. it just depends. i do hope he gets in, though. im rooting for ya' shovel knight!

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard

No offense to any Shovel Knight fans, but he does NOT deserve to get in.
I mean, every third party that we have gotten so far are all iconic and have Nintendo history.
Shovel Knight sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Not only did he appear in only one game, but it came out LAST YEAR. He isn't even close to being Smash worthy.
Not to mention, having him over Snake would NOT go over well with alot of Smash fans.
If he does get in, though, I'm glad for his fans.
That said, his inclusion breaks the fanmade rule that every third party needs to be a gaming icon to appear. It unnecessarily opens so many doors to other more obscure third parties. I mean, his game isn't even out in JAPAN.
I really don't want him to be in because that means so MANY doors will be opened.
Long story short, his inclusion could make Smash more bloated and full of no names.
Basically, this

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hopefully this is not true. I'd rather have recognized characters join the Smash roster than a newbie people barely know. Get iconic first.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
hmm...

Sony Shovel Knight gets Kratos Boss DLC...

Microsoft Shovel Knight gets Battletoads Boss DLC...

Nintendo gets Shovel Knight as a guest in Smash.

Would be kinda legit. also there is the whole thing with the Physical releases and the Japanese version coming out....

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
People, please pay attention. Look at the signs. Whether this leak is the real deal or not, Shovel Knight is getting in Smash. And no, that doesn't mean the characters you wanna see in the game are any less legit than he is. It means that Sakurai saw potential for a good character and went with it. That's it. Nothing else is implied.

Last edited:

Mr. Oshawott

Smash Apprentice
I think it's best if we all just wait for the official results from the Ballot. I have very little certainty of seeing Shovel Knight actually appearing in Sm4sh.

Look at the signs. Whether this leak is the real deal or not, Shovel Knight is getting in Smash.
You don't know that; no one knows that. Even if there are "signs" leaning towards Shovel Knight's favor, they don't guarantee him being in Sm4sh.

Last edited:

MrDKfan

Smash Rookie
That's probably for the best. You're probably going to have to wait a few years months for Smash DLC news though.[/quote/]after Rayman thing, absolutely no one believes a leak

after Rayman, no one believes anything

Last edited:

MrDKfan

Smash Rookie
all we can do now guys, is wait to the following five days after PAX Prime ends,

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Considering his game is as of right now not in Japan I doubt they would've taken the time to work on him, at least until after the game comes out there. He's also not exclusive to Nintendo, and while neither was Snake, there's nothing tying Shovel Knight to Nintendo. He's appearing in Runbow, so there's that, but meh....don't care enough to actively want the character. I'd rather have Rayman, the Icies, Isaac, Inkling, Sora, King K. Rool, Takamaru....my list goes on and on.

MrDKfan

Smash Rookie
hmm...

Sony Shovel Knight gets Kratos Boss DLC...

Microsoft Shovel Knight gets Battletoads Boss DLC...

Nintendo gets Shovel Knight as a guest in Smash.

Would be kinda legit. also there is the whole thing with the Physical releases and the Japanese version coming out....
my toughts exactly, we got allmost every genre, i mean, we got a ARCADE FIGHTING rep, Indie needs representation too, is not enough with that Ninja guy as a trophy

ToonKake

So Animated
NNID
ToOn_Cake
Id be Down if dis is true :)
Shovel Knight Would be Interesting & ppl needa STOP being soo butthurt One Min EVERYONES LIKE: "OMG VOTE SHOVEL KNIGHT " & now ppl are like: "UGH WTF SHOVEL KNIGHT HELL NAW"

Welp Thats the Internet 4 ya ! -.- tsk tsk tsk

_C4

Smash Rookie
NNID
Cookieswag999
3DS FC
2552-1152-8384
Honestly, I'm really hoping this will be true. He seems like an AMAZING charcter for Sm4sh. I voted for him on the ballot and I'm sure tons of others did. It seems very likely in my opinion. They even had Ryu for DLC so why not Shovel Knight?!

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
I'm confident he'll appear as a trophy or a costume for the mii at least.

But as a full fighter? I'm just gonna have to see it to believe it, unfortunately.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
If there's any more iconic character for the indie label than quote from cave story, that's who we should get

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
if shovel knight gets in... oh crap... i can hear them... the FNaF fans... oh god... NOOOOOOOO!!!!
The hell are you talking about? FNaF isn't even on Wii U. There's no rivalry between Shovel Knight and Freddy of who will get in Smash. One is a character who can only walk around and jump at you who is from a PC Steam game. The other is from a multi-platform indie game and ha Sammy abilities and is from the same genre of games that many of Smash's characters are from. Nobody considers the, rivals fro Smash.
I'm pretty sure most FNaF fans (myself included) don't even want Freddy in Smash. It would be stupid. He can't do anything.

Regardless, both are characters that Sakurai has probably never, ever heard of, so they aren't getting in. Shovel Knight might seem extremely popular to some of you people, but that's just because you stay close to the other people who think SK should be in Smash, so it alters your perspective on the rest of the Smash fans in the world.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
So does Boggy B., but he's not getting in.
Also, why do people want Shovel Knight in? He's just some guy from an NES-style indie games with a shovel. Nothing he does is unique. He has a shovel that's used for attacking and digging along with basic magic. All three of those are in the game's roster already. Plus, he doesn't fit in Smash.
Note: I love the game Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
What a lame character from a lame game, if this turns out to be true I will loose respect for Nintendo and the gaming community in general. Seriously Soooo many characters should get in before they even think about this dumpus...

Stupid retro 8-bit lazy indie games, such wasted time and a sad excuse for a game nowadays.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
To be honest, I doubt this rumor is true. I just can't see Shovel Knight being a full fledged fighter; At the very least, I can see him being in an Indie Pack of the sorts with Shantae as a fighter (she deserves it more then him, lets be honest here) and Shovel Knight as a Trophy/Mii Costume/Assist Trophy, but that's the best I can see him really achieving until Smash 5, I'm afraid. He'll have a better chance to get in by then, but not now.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
If they want an Indie character rep, there are better choices. Shovel Knight isn't even out in Japan, which already gives other characters like Shantae or Quote a fair advantage over him for being more recognizable internationally. And recognizability is vital for DLC characters, since people aren't as likely to download characters they don't know, unlike standard characters who come with the game regardless.

That's assuming they want any indie characters at all, as opposed to bigger stars like Bomberman or Black Mage, or other Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I will laugh if he gets in because so many butt hurt fans will take to their keyboards to voice their rage about this guy getting in over thier more "deserving" and beloved characters. It'll be delicious.

I think my bitterness and cynicism has increased ten fold since 2012-13.....

HONY

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2638-1450-7268
Some more stats for the naysayers: fire emblem awakening (the highest selling entry by FAR in the franchise) sold roughly 0.68 million units in North America. That's LESS than the total (mind you, world wide) Shovel Knight sales and Fire Emblem gets 5 reps in smash. Not complaining either I love me some Fire Emblem.

Oh and don't even bother to look up the xenoblade sales... Point being: Don't be so quick to compare sales as a piece of evidence for roster viability.

JohnViolet_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BOOST-O-FI-YAAAA
Some more stats for the naysayers: fire emblem awakening (the highest selling entry by FAR in the franchise) sold roughly 0.68 million units in North America. That's LESS than the total (mind you, world wide) Shovel Knight sales and Fire Emblem gets 5 reps in smash. Not complaining either I love me some Fire Emblem.

Oh and don't even bother to look up the xenoblade sales... Point being: Don't be so quick to compare sales as a piece of evidence for roster viability.
You think I wanted all those fire emblem characters? Get out of here!

JohnViolet_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BOOST-O-FI-YAAAA
Your right though, especially Pokemon having six, Mario technically the most. Still, in the hyrule universe there are cooler characters to pick

But ughhhh #freewolf

Last edited by a moderator:

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
Why are people so negative if they're sure he won't get in? Lmao. My cerulean knight... The dream tunnels on!

Ledemduso

Smash Rookie
How about Steve from Minecraft? I know, he has nothing to do with Nintendo, but... Wait... That's not a problem anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom