• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rumor: Is Shovel Knight Coming To Super Smash Bros?

YourCityPigeon

Smash Cadet
NNID
FirewhaleSH
How about Steve from Minecraft? I know, he has nothing to do with Nintendo, but... Wait... That's not a problem anymore.
Difference is Shovel Knight was actually on Nintendo platforms before other consoles. (Except PC master race)

Steve is on everything except Nintendo consoles.

Edit: Multiplatform isn't a problem according to ballot rules, but I'm pretty sure they have to had been on a Nintendo console at some point. That's how Ryu got in, and why Banjo and Kazooie are good contenders.

Last edited:

Ledemduso

Smash Rookie
Difference is Shovel Knight was actually on Nintendo platforms before other consoles. (Except PC master race)

Steve is on everything except Nintendo consoles.

Ok, I admit, Steve was a pretty bad example xD

Edit: Multiplatform isn't a problem according to ballot rules, but I'm pretty sure they have to had been on a Nintendo console at some point. That's how Ryu got in, and why Banjo and Kazooie are good contenders.
Buuuuut there are DBZ (not absolutely sure about that) and Naruto games that have been released exclusively for Nintendo consoles and no one (actually far to many but still kinda no one) wants Goku or Naruto in Smash.

Edit: I have to be honest and add that I don't know sh*t about Shovel Knight. :p Just roughly heard about him.

Last edited:

Laggalot101

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1418-6741-7161
Personally, I'd love to see Shovel Knight get in. I think there's a lot of interesting things they could do with SK in Smash on the gameplay front. For instance, a shovel just screams for a moveset revolving around burying opponents, like what DK's Headbutt or Villager's D-Smash do, or something of the sort.

As for wether he's deserving or not... please define how to determine wether or not a character is deserving or not and how much so. Factually. ...You can't, can you? You can make an educated estimation, sure, but ultimately every person will come to a different conclusion. Just because you don't think he's deserving, doesn't mean he factually isn't. Clearly a lot of people (myself included) see potential in Shovel Knight. So long as enough people see that potential, and the interest in Shovel Knight is voiced enough (which we'll find out sooner or later if that's the case or not), Shovel Knight cannot be ruled out.

Last edited:

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
If it's true, I'm not sure if I'm happy about it. I mean, it wasn't my choice on the ballot and I'm not into platformers, so Shovel Knight just seems odd to me. I don't have anything against him, but I don't have anything for him either. Therefore I hope it's not true.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I really hope this isn't true. The developers in the Indie Canon have been needing to get off their high horse for years, and that's not going to happen if they get the undeserved attention of a Smash rep.

What's that? "They're independent and don't have a canon"? Well...

I beg to differ.

Last edited:

tetrix

Smash Rookie
Watch we'amre all going to get trolled and get a stupid character instead of shovel knight for the upcoming october smash bros dlc

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
Arguing whether or not Shovel Knight deserves to be in is completely unproductive. When it comes down to it there seems to be very little rhyme or reason for a character's inclusion in Smash.

Fire Emblem wasn't released in the U.S. when Marth and Roy were added to Melee. I think it'd be kind of cool to have the tables turned in this iteration.

Frage94

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1349-4646-1151
I don't give 2 craps about Him coming in or not, If the people seem to enjoy his appearance then it's cool by me.

stuartgreene

Smash Rookie
Nintendo holding a poll to decide who becomes dlc is the best way to decide the dlc, because we the fans literally get to choose. Unless you are just being a Melee elitist, then sorry I interrupted your ignorance.
I am aware of this and I stand by my statement which of course is refering to competitive play

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
I think that Shovel Knight could definitely be added to the roster. He seems like a smash character and his art style fits in with the others.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
Any other BRAND-NEW character from an indie game I would say is undeserving, but Shovel Knight is a different story...

Somehow, playing his game gave a sense of nostalgia without ever having played it. It took me right back to my childhood, which is always a good thing. I would love to see his unique abilities utilized, and more than that I want to hear the amazing music from Shovel Knight while I smash on a brand new Shovel Knight stage! I support Shovel Knight 100%.

Besides, what is a fighting game without your go-to Shovel wielder?

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
At this point I don't think it is about how iconic the character is. If they are accepting indies from the ballot I think the only thing that matters is how many people want them in the game.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I've made $64,000 so far this year w0rking 0nline and I'm a full time student. I'm using an 0nline business opportunity I heard about and I've made such great m0ney. It's really user friendly and I'm just so happy that I found out about it. Here’s what I've been doing…
---------->>> http://www.online-jobs9.com
I've made absolutely nothing responding to how stupid spam like this crap is on every site in the entire interweb.

That said, I'm fine with this, especially if it means Nintendo gets some exclusive shovel knight content to offset Kratos and Battletoads (aside from 3DS streetpass)

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Hey Guys not sure if everyone knew this already but GAME Brighton's Twitter account just updated with a Shovel Knight Amiibo! (It's in a Shovel Knight line by the way description said it can be used in more Games that Yacht Club Will make in the future) It looks super Neat! It has the Amiibo logo on the white part of the box as well as the Yacht Club Games Logo there too. Shovel Knight himself looks really nice and had a somewhat 'Chunky' appearance liken it to what Toon Link's Amiibo hair looks like (you know that sort of Solid appearance) but the Figure is still super detailed and I can't wait to see what it actually does in game! :laugh: It also said it releases on November 23rd (which correlates to the Spanish Retailer's release date I believe) so yeah Super hyped about this and can't wait for more info! Edit:
Dang you beat me to it. :p but I see the tweet has been scrapped which implies they weren't supposed to reveal it yet, so is it possible for an official reveal sometime in the Indie show before PAX?

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Please note that the amiibo isn't a SSB series amiibo. Meaning it doesn't confirm him in Smash.

Actually, I'd say it does the opposite. Most of the Smash characters won't get a Smash amiibo and an amiibo for their series... The ones that have are Mario characters. If SK was planned for Smash, then they wouldn't be releasing a SK series amiibo right after the ballot ends.

bortlicensplate

Smash Rookie
  • Hope this is true at least more people know who shovel knight is i actualy had to look up who professor layton was. I doubt that that many people are voting for him in the ballot

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So there's an amiibo coming. Which is fascinating and extremely odd.

Maybe, just maybe the Shovel Knight support in the first couple months of ballot speculation was enough.

Though if that's the case, and Shovel Knight is chosen and K. Rool isn't, I'm going to be extremely upset.

tetrix

Smash Rookie
What about Ubisoft? They want Ray Man in smash so its up to daddy sakurai

D

Deleted member

If Shovel Knight gets in, then Smash will have officially jumped the shark. There are so many more deserving characters from Nintendo games alone, characters that fans have been requesting since Melee and who have been around much longer. Hell, I'd honestly rather see Waluigi or Takamaru get upgraded from assist trophies than this character.

Last edited by a moderator:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
If Shovel Knight gets in, then Smash will have officially jumped the shark. There are so many more deserving characters from Nintendo games alone, characters that fans have been requesting since Melee and who have been around much longer. Hell, I'd honestly rather see Waluigi or Takamaru get upgraded from assist trophies than this character.
Really? If you've played Shovel Knight I would find it strange that there are so many people who seem so against him being in Smash.

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu

No offense to any Shovel Knight fans, but he does NOT deserve to get in.
I mean, every third party that we have gotten so far are all iconic and have Nintendo history.
Shovel Knight sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Not only did he appear in only one game, but it came out LAST YEAR. He isn't even close to being Smash worthy.
Not to mention, having him over Snake would NOT go over well with alot of Smash fans.
If he does get in, though, I'm glad for his fans.
That said, his inclusion breaks the fanmade rule that every third party needs to be a gaming icon to appear. It unnecessarily opens so many doors to other more obscure third parties. I mean, his game isn't even out in JAPAN.
I really don't want him to be in because that means so MANY doors will be opened.
Long story short, his inclusion could make Smash more bloated and full of no names.
dude it's a game. does it really matter to you that much? maybe sakurai just really like the character and thinks "wow there's this whole new genre of games people like that's based on what me and my friends did 30 years ago and that's really cool and I'd like to pay homage to these people by putting the poster child of that genre in my game". would that be so bad? I think it would be cool. new doors being opened is a good thing and that's how progress is made

TriffHR

Smash Apprentice
I really wish he wasn't coming, but I'm completely positive he is. All evidence is pointing towards it.

D

Deleted member

Really? If you've played Shovel Knight I would find it strange that there are so many people who seem so against him being in Smash.
I strongly believe that first party characters should take precedence over third party characters, especially since we are not going to be getting an unlimited number of downloadable characters. Add this to the fact that the third party characters we have gotten so far have a lot of history and are very iconic. Shovel Knight is not on the same level as Sonic and Mega Man.

Sorry, but there is no way Shovel Knight fans can convince me that he is somehow more worthy than any number of first party characters with dedicated followings. Once every last one of those first party characters gets into Smash (which isn't going to happen), then you can present your arguments about including him. Until then, get to the back of the line and wait your turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Coming off of somebody who just got the final Shovel Knight feat an hour ago...

I don't think he's going to be DLC. He's just an indie without any history, and he'd be just another swordsman. Sakurai didn't even want Pac-Man in Brawl because he was stumpped on the moveset... Shovel Knight wouldn't be special in Smash.

Edit: Following the official amiibo reveal, pretty safe to say that he's not going to be announced. Especially since Nintendo's reveals are over for the night.

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
I already said this before, but I'll say it again: I really don't think it matters how iconic the character is. If the character got enough votes and it is legally possible to have them in the game they are very likely to get in. Some of you guys sound like you think whoever you want to get in won't get in just because of one character you didn't want to get in. By your logic the non FE awakening characters and Shulk should not have ever been in smash, first party or not they were not popular. It really isn't going to get that much more iconic with third parties than what we have now.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I already said this before, but I'll say it again: I really don't think it matters how iconic the character is. If the character got enough votes and it is legally possible to have them in the game they are very likely to get in. Some of you guys sound like you think whoever you want to get in won't get in just because of one character you didn't want to get in. By your logic the non FE awakening characters and Shulk should not have ever been in smash, first party or not they were not popular. It really isn't going to get that much more iconic with third parties than what we have now.
Wait, Sakurai has to put a character in based on votes?

Edit: This just in, Yacht club's "megaton announcement" confirmed to be the amiibo. http://yachtclubgames.com/2015/08/shovel-knight-amiibo/

Last edited:

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
Wait, Sakurai has to put a character in based on votes?
I doubt he HAS to put them in, but what would be the point of the ballot if they are not going to put in characters that got a large amount of votes?

*Sakurai looking at results for smash ballot*

Sakurai: "Hmm...it looks like Shovel Knight is one of the highest voted characters for smash."

Sakurai: "I would like to see him in smash, but you know what? He isn't iconic enough so no I won't put him in the game."

^^^This is not what is going to happen. In the case that Sakurai would not have a problem with Shovel Knight being in the game other than not being iconic enough, he isn't going to let that be the sole reason for him not being in the game.

Top Bottom