• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I don't understand why Roy wouldn't use the Sword of Seals. Regardless of what he looks, It's iconic to him and FE6. Unless future games state otherwise, (i.e. SMT x FE, a FE6 remake/sequel/in conjunction with FE7/whatever [if they are going to make one]) in which the sword could be reforged or him be given a new one completely. But I find those scenarios unlikely...why am I even thinking this lol.

The trailer for SMT x FE is interesting as well, as there are technically two "Marths". We may just have to wait on what looks Roy and the others are gonna take. Though I do believe that his original outfit is more iconic.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Rather than just taking Roy's design straight from FE6/FE13/SMTxFE we're probably going to get Sakurai's own take on him. Marth's SSBM/B incarnations don't really look like any of his designs from the FE games. And even Roy's look in Melee was designed to be a little more ornate than his FE6 look. Ike is the strange one, really. His look is pulled right from PoR.

I'm interested to see what Roy's design is going to be in SMTxFE and what he could look like in SSB4 considering the FE13 redesign.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There's always a possibility of a mixed design by taking elements from both his Sword of Seals and Awakening, combining into one new and more detailed look. Something like this happened in Brawl with Fox and Falco by mixing their Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Command designs.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Are there still people around who expect Roy to appear, but not Ike? As I personally onky see Roy as viable if we get 4 Fire Emblem Lords in.

D

Deleted member

Are there still people around who expect Roy to appear, but not Ike? As I personally onky see Roy as viable if we get 4 Fire Emblem Lords in.
I've seen a few people who expect this. One was Vegeta1000 on GameFAQs, although he seemed to change his mind and swapped Roy with Anna on his FE prediction roster. They don't seem to be around anymore though.

D

Deleted member

I see them as a big group.
If Roy comes back, Ike stays.

Afterall, Marth, Roy, and Ike are "Smash Bretheren". (I am aware Marth wasn't in that DLC chapter, but he still counts)

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I don't think I have ever brought this up in this thread, or perhaps anywhere else, however, I am sure a lot of you are curious about my signature (Knights of Elibe).

The fact is that it was name of the pre-Brawl group of Roy fans supporting his return. I founded it (though I did not make the signature). We had a ton of members, though most of them don't post here anymore (though I assume that some of them will come back once Smash 4 is announced).

Despite Roy not making it in Brawl, I have kept it in my signature as a silent way of showing my support for our boy Roy. Its been there for over five years.

Once I turn this thread into a proper support topic, it is my hope to re-start the Knights of Elibe (or perhaps even use a new name). Once social groups start up again, I will also probably create new social group specifically for people who would like to see Roy return in Smash 4.

I have not been able to put any effort into a proper Roy support topic (editting the second post) since I have been quite busy lately. Feel free to contribute ideas though, I know I got plenty floating at the back of my mind.

I think the Knights of Elibe might actually be the only remaining pre-Brawl character support group, though I could be wrong.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Damn, I wish I was around during pre-Brawl, to, you know, show my support for Roy (and others). I know Roy didn't make it in, but it's always fun supporting your fave characters, right?

Hmm, well I do have some ideas floating around, though I should probably put them on paper and see if they make sense. But if you're ever short on artwork, I have a secret stash of Roy pics I could dig up.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Damn, I wish I was around during pre-Brawl, to, you know, show my support for Roy (and others). I know Roy didn't make it in, but it's always fun supporting your fave characters, right?

Hmm, well I do have some ideas floating around, though I should probably put them on paper and see if they make sense. But if you're ever short on artwork, I have a secret stash of Roy pics I could dig up.
I actually did not get around to supporting Roy for pre-Brawl until after nearly every other character I had wanted in had been confirmed (they were higher priorities to me). I started working towards Roy's return after Sonic's confirmation (Sonic was my second most wanted newcomer for pre-Brawl), and especially after King Dedede's confirmation (who was my third most wanted character for much of pre-Brawl).

This time every other character I want is very likely, with Mewtwo being the closest character we have to a shoe-in, and Ridley and Mega Man being strong contenders to be confirmed in only a few months time, so Roy gets a lot more of my effort this time around.

I also felt it was an opportune time to make a push for him because all the other character fanbases that were left at that point were weak (Sigurd's due to people not wanting three blue-haired sword users, especially two that were Japan-only) and Micaiah's fanbase was mostly a bandwagon full of ex-Lyn supporters. The Sigurd fanbase actually dissipated a few weeks later due to someone finally translating Sakurai's personal thoughts on FE and the pre-Melee poll (Sigurd fans claimed he was popularly requested for Melee and that he was Sakurai's favorite FE character when it turned out that Nabarl/Navarre was his favorite character, and Sigurd only got a measly two vote for the pre-Melee poll he had).

As to your Roy artwork, I have no problem with you posting them.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I actually did not get around to supporting Roy for pre-Brawl until after nearly every other character I had wanted in had been confirmed (they were higher priorities to me). I started working towards Roy's return after Sonic's confirmation (Sonic was my second most wanted newcomer for pre-Brawl), and especially after King Dedede's confirmation (who was my third most wanted character for much of pre-Brawl).

This time every other character I want is very likely, with Mewtwo being the closest character we have to a shoe-in, and Ridley and Mega Man being strong contenders to be confirmed in only a few months time, so Roy gets a lot more of my effort this time around.

I also felt it was an opportune time to make a push for him because all the other character fanbases that were left at that point were weak (Sigurd's due to people not wanting three blue-haired sword users, especially two that were Japan-only) and Micaiah's fanbase was mostly a bandwagon full of ex-Lyn supporters. The Sigurd fanbase actually dissipated a few weeks later due to someone finally translating Sakurai's personal thoughts on FE and the pre-Melee poll (Sigurd fans claimed he was popularly requested for Melee and that he was Sakurai's favorite FE character when it turned out that Nabarl/Navarre was his favorite character, and Sigurd only got a measly two vote for the pre-Melee poll he had).

As to your Roy artwork, I have no problem with you posting them.
Ahh, that's interesting. Thanks for sharing. Personally, I wasn't much a supporter for anyone during pre-Brawl. I guess I thought we would get Melee's roster + whatever newcomers (please tell me that I wasn't the only one that thought this), and as long as I have my mains, I don't really care about newcomers (I care a bit more this time, however). Though I didn't get my mains, I still love Brawl. I do remember that ever since I played Pikmin, I always thought it would be cool to see Olimar, however. So I was glad to see him.

Well, you know me. I don't need to tell you peeps that I'll support Roy until the cows come home, since you probably already know...Err I guess I just did.

D

Deleted member

@ChronoBound: I remember that you had a Knights of Elibe social group you formed in December, 2008. I know I was a part of that group.

Perhaps I can help you out with creating the thread OP?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What does one have to do to gain entrance into this wonderful group?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
@ChronoBound: I remember that you had a Knights of Elibe social group you formed in December, 2008. I know I was a part of that group.

Perhaps I can help you out with creating the thread OP?
Sure, feel free to contribute any ideas you might have. The same goes for anyone else viewing this thread. I appreciate ideas for content for the Roy support post.

What does one have to do to gain entrance into this wonderful group?
Wondering the same thing right here...

Even though I am a Magvel kinda guy.
All it takes to join is being a supporter for Roy's return in Smash 4. However, unfortunately, due to the fact we don't have social groups up and running yet, there is no "Knights of Elibe" right now.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy supporters...unite!

I was wondering if anyone has any palette swaps of Roy. Though I'm trying my hand at it right now, it seems like I'm doing a ****ty job, so idk.

This one's not finished, but to compare...

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Does anyone here even play as Roy? I do occasionally, but I really despise how he plays.

WELM

Smash Cadet
Hiss.

(I am forced to type at least 10 characters, so here they are.)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone here even play as Roy? I do occasionally, but I really despise how he plays.
I occasionally play as Roy if regulated to a lower tier type competition, mainly because he's similar to Marth and as such I can familiarize with Roy quickly. The downside however is that due to the differing attributes, like a faster falling speed and inverted hitboxes, I do occasionally screw up details due to being far more experience with Marth. In general I'm not exactly a fan with how Roy plays, because it generally feels like I'm playing with a more clunky Marth.

For low tier related competitive play, I usually go with ether Link or Yoshi.

D

Deleted member

I don't have Melee with me, but I do remember playing with him a lot.

No for now, but when I do get my hands back on Melee, I do expect to play with him a lot again. Really enjoyed having him around.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I used to play as him a lot, and I suppose I just need a good hour with him to get back into enjoying him. I prefer him over Marth, truth be told.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
Yeah, I do agree, Roy was pretty bad in melee. His basic attack expresses this, being only a single, weak slash.

But my god, I felt so awsome when I used his flare blade. ( Is that what you call his Standard B move? )

D

Deleted member

Some ideas for ChronoBound's first post on this thread:

The name should obviously be "The Knight of Elibe: Roy for SSB4" since that was the name for the Roy group pre-Brawl.

There should be multiple sections; one for analysis on Roy's odds, one for move sets and one where supporters are listed and one for recolors of Roy's design if he came back.

D

Deleted member

Taking this here to respect Starphoenix's wish of not turning the Chrom thread into a Roy vs. Chrom thread.
Missing a mage or anyone else that is different.
I doubt Sakurai cares about adding a mage just for the sake of move set potentials.

There is no point in bringing Roy besides popularity, and I thought we said that is not the only thing to go off of
There's more to Roy than just popularity.

Sakurai added Roy to promote the entire franchise, not just FE6, so Sakurai already sees more in Roy than just cheap advertisement. There's also the matter that he was planned for Brawl over a second Fire Emblem newcomer, indicating that Sakurai is still interested in Roy.

Another thing is that Roy is the most important lord of FE6 as his game is the main game of the Elibe arc. He also continues to be relevant thanks to appearing in Awakening as one of the early DLC characters (in Japan) and getting a very well-received redesign.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The Melee SD remix gave Roy quite a few cool new tricks. Like a new Up Smash and removal of lame ass weak tipper hitbox.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
Roy help me succeed against The Showdown. He gets my respect for that.

I would say that that Roy should get a fire slash that attacks from a distance, like his source games.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Sakurai has a lot to work with in regards to fleshing out Roy, luigified or revamped. Don't know if you guys seen these videos before, but...

Both Roys have different movesets. The CPU Roy is more akin to a luigified version of Melee Roy (it's Thany's Roy). The Human Roy has a revamped moveset. I really like how the Human Roy's counter also heals damage. The Sword of Seals is very distinct and unique, like Ragnell. Having it use it's signature moves, like a ranged attack and healing, is always a plus.

Just a closer look at the revamped moveset.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Okay, I'll admit that Roy looks a lot better when the fire isn't cheaply tacked on like it was in Melee. I especially like the altered Flare Blade and Double-Edge Dance.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hence why we are all rooting for changes in Roy's moveset. I'm not too keen on his playable self in Melee either, but after playing FE6, it became quite easy to envision a new moveset for him. Even if it's a Luigified Marth clone of sorts. Also, really like the Roy moveset in this video:

You even get to see him beat up Impa! Ain't that something..? :smirk:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Welp, just goes to show you that they have a lot to work with in regards to de-cloning Roy. It's a shame that I'm not expecting it, but you never know...On a somewhat related note, you peeps have probably already seen this but...

Convenience Store, starring Roy

IMeanThere'sRoySoIt'sRelevantRight?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Welp, just goes to show you that they have a lot to work with in regards to de-cloning Roy. It's a shame that I'm not expecting it, but you never know...On a somewhat related note, you peeps have probably already seen this but...

Convenience Store, starring Roy

IMeanThere'sRoySoIt'sRelevantRight?
Actually, the video shows that decloning Roy would not take much work. Even in terms of specials it would be quite feasible to come up with unique ones for him (give Eruption to Roy, have a special based off of the Sword of Seal's ranged attack, a special based off of the Sword of Seal's ability to heal, and an unique recovery would be easy as well, there is even one in that video). As for a Final Smash, all the Roy Brawl hacks show a whole lot of ideas on how to go about it (just do a lot of fire), and if you want something more canonical, do a Final Smash based off of the Sword of Seals's ranged critical (like I have seen in one hack).

As to the video, I was actually going to include that video in my Roy support topic. I have seen that video years ago, and its hilarious. Its actually part of some Japanese meme, and there has been several Smash Bros. themed ones done for it. Of all the Smash Bros. ones, the one you linked to in that post is easily the most hilarious one and offers the greatest twist at the meme.

I actually know of one other video that I might link to for my Roy support topic. Its basically a video made by a Japanese Roy fan about Roy lamenting not being in Brawl (there is a part even where Roy wonders how long until his game is remade). Its cute, though I am certain most people who will view it will find it weird.

Here is a link:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So we all agree that Roy should get Ike's Eruption attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom