• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Pretty much the same argument that Smashboards gives, but because GameFAQs are a lot more likely to follow bandwagons than Smashboards, the majority support Chrom (though I would wager most of the support is based off the expectations of getting a FE newcomer rather than actually wanting it).

Oh and they like to argue that Roy is irrelevant, despite many of them not understanding what relevance is and having double standards on relevance as well.
If we go by the irrelevant logic, Ness, and Captain Falcon should be cut. So yes it's double standards.

D

Deleted member

If we go by the lack of recentness logic, Ness, and Captain Falcon should be cut. So yes it's double standards.
But then they'll go "But they're the original twelve!" while ignoring the fact that they were kept throughout all three games for a reason (at least by Brawl). As for Ness, who was planned to be cut in Melee for Lucas (but wasn't due to Mother 3's cancellation for the N64), if recentness mattered so much, Sakurai would have finally replaced Ness in Brawl with Lucas, but by then, Sakurai saw merits in keeping Ness.

Bring up a retro and they'll say "but they're retro!", which is a case of special pleding.

Best argument to try to convince them otherwise is Marth. Did not have a game for nearly eight years, yet due to importance and fan demand, showed up in Melee. If someone said that Marth is the mascot, therefore, he was an exception, point out a case of special pleding and mention that Roy is the most popular Lord of the Elibe arc as well as the most important Lord of the game.

Oh and the bolded, know that when people mean by irrelevance they usually mean lack of recentness. In other words, not understanding that relevance is actually synonym to importance, which is in turn not correlated to recentness.

So yes, relevance is a big factor in deciding characters, but it's the same thing as importance. Recentess, on the other hand, does nothing more than get new characters noticed, but it will not play a role in their inclusion.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Also here in the west when non Fire Emblem fans think about Fire Emblem they think of Marth and Roy. Not Ike, lyn, Chrom, or anyone else.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
C-convince people on gamefaqs that Roy is the best choice for a third FE rep? Yikes...It's true, lot of people on gamefaqs like to jump on the bandwagon and a lot of people there support Chrom. And I have seen people put down Roy with absurd reasons. It's going to be a tough battle over there, but I do have a gamefaqs account and I'd be more than happy to help.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I wonder if they'll do a 180 on Roy if he's confirmed to playable, or say he's a wasted slot?

I'm betting on both.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well I wouldn't exactly proclaim that Roy coming is a wasted slot, because the character was planned for Brawl and could be added into the next game to compensate. It's just not my cup of tea, that is all.

Let's just clarify, but I never proclaimed that Roy has no chance of coming in.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think it depends on how decloned he is. If he becomes completely unique, most will do a 180 degree. If he has even one or two similar moves, I'd expect them to cry clone, and say he was a waste.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Well I wouldn't exactly proclaim that Roy coming is a wasted slot, because the character was planned for Brawl and could be added into the next game to compensate. It's just not my cup of tea, that is all.

Let's just clarify, but I never proclaimed that Roy has no chance of coming in.

I was talking about gamefaqs, who will probably say he is.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I was talking about gamefaqs, who will probably say he is.
Well it's GameFAQs. They are going to **** all over anything that has a sword. Once tried to argue about Takamaru, but people thought he was lame and would introduce more swords.

Look, I'm not usually the guy that supports people forcing others to change their opinions. But in the case of GameFAQs, yes you can screw with them all day. Idiots deserve a good slap to the face.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Well it's GameFAQs. They are going to **** all over anything that has a sword. Once tried to argue about Takamaru, but people thought he was lame and would introduce more swords.

Look, I'm not usually the guy that supports people forcing others to change their opinions. But in the case of GameFAQs, yes you can screw with them all day. Idiots deserve a good slap to the face.
I don't think they'll listen to anyone. They are also the ones who believe Ridley didn't get in because he's too big. Despite the fact that Sakurai said the roster was finalized in June 2005, and Ridley's support didn't take off until after the first brawl trailer.

But, if Roy is confirmed expect a lot of flame wars.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Lots of posts to reply to, this is going to be a long one. :laugh:

Regarding your big post ChronoBound, we're going to have to go on GameFAQs if we are truly going to try to convince people that Roy is the best choice for a third Fire Emblem character. The site has a lot more detractors and what supporters are there are immediately drowned out by detractors (Kooky can't even hold his ground, last time he tried to argue for Roy his arguments weren't taken seriously).

Not saying to neglect Smashboards, but GameFAQs is going to be a pretty important site for our battleground and we need to try to focus most of our efforts there, especially when E3 is looming.
I know about the situation on GameFAQs. I have been a member there for over 11 years (the reason I even joined there was to discuss Melee's potential roster). GameFAQs used to be a tolerable place to do discussion, but once it was merged with Gamespot it got much, much dumber over night.

There has been a contingent of vocal Roy haters at GameFAQs even during the pre-Brawl days. It was also the place with highest number of Sigurd fans and a large contingent of "we need a femalez" FE bandwagon (its the worse there than anywhere else, they have jumped from Lyn to Micaiah to Caeda/Sheeda to Lissa to Anna/Lucina/Female My Unit).

When all the statements that the Sigurd fanbase was making up finally got disproven, you did not think all those people just instantly disappeared in a puff of smoke did you? Keep in mind many of the lies about Roy originated from the Sigurd fanbase, so although they have given up their support for him, I doubt their animus against Roy has abated.

However, despite all this, like everywhere else, Roy has more supporters than any other potential FE newcomer at GameFAQs. There was a "rank your most wanted characters for Smash 4" topic going on, and Roy ranked higher than any other FE character on the list.

As with other places, its not a matter of whether Roy does not have much support (he is the most wanted FE character), but rather his detractors are very vocal and voice their opinion whenever Roy comes up.

There is A LOT of Roy supporters at GameFAQs, but they are usually not as active or engaged in voicing their opinion. It is from here where I think things could be changed at GameFAQs. Once Social Groups start up again, and I re-form the Knights of Elibe, we will start cooking a war plan to make things much more amicable for Roy supporters at GameFAQs (I already got an idea or two).

While those are nice battle videos, I am curious to know why you posted them here. Would you like to see Roy return for Smash 4, and if so what changes would you like to see done with him?

Pretty much the same argument that Smashboards gives, but because GameFAQs are a lot more likely to follow bandwagons than Smashboards, the majority support Chrom (though I would wager most of the support is based off the expectations of getting a FE newcomer rather than actually wanting it).

Oh and they like to argue that Roy is irrelevant, despite many of them not understanding what relevance is and having double standards on relevance as well.
You are right that the bandwagon mentality is much worse at GameFAQs. Keep in mind that characters like Caeda/Sheeda and Lissa used to be the most wanted FE characters after Roy at some point there (now support for them is non-existent).

While Chrom may seem to have a plurality of support there, its actually Roy. Chrom, like everywhere else, does get a lot of topics with people complaining about how bland/boring he is, which shows that even if there does exist a lot of support for him there, there is also a lot of scepticism about him.

As for the "relevance argument" I don't think there is anything you can say do to convince those sort of people. Keep in mind at GameFAQs there is a large amount of people that still think Ridley is "too big" despite all the argumentation for years saying otherwise, and even Sakurai himself saying Ridley could work.

Best argument to try to convince them otherwise is Marth. Did not have a game for nearly eight years, yet due to importance and fan demand, showed up in Melee. If someone said that Marth is the mascot, therefore, he was an exception, point out a case of special pleding and mention that Roy is the most popular Lord of the Elibe arc as well as the most important Lord of the game.

Oh and the bolded, know that when people mean by irrelevance they usually mean lack of recentness. In other words, not understanding that relevance is actually synonym to importance, which is in turn not correlated to recentness
That is a very good argument to use.

C-convince people on gamefaqs that Roy is the best choice for a third FE rep? Yikes...It's true, lot of people on gamefaqs like to jump on the bandwagon and a lot of people there support Chrom. And I have seen people put down Roy with absurd reasons. It's going to be a tough battle over there, but I do have a gamefaqs account and I'd be more than happy to help.
Things seemed intimidating on even SmashBoards during pre-Brawl, but once I actually set up a proper support topic for Roy and the Knights of Elibe, Roy quickly became the most wanted character for a third FE character here for the remainder of pre-Brawl. A lot of Roy fans came out of the wood work.

There is a lot of Roy supporters over at GameFAQs, they just are quiet and don't have the patience to debate loud mouths.

I am glad that you are willing to help. We are probably going to need all the help we can get.

I wonder if they'll do a 180 on Roy if he's confirmed to playable, or say he's a wasted slot?
There will most likely be a celebration topic. The only character I saw whining about when they were confirmed for pre-Brawl was ROB and Wolf (though that was mostly Krystal supporters who convinced themselves that she was good as confirmed for Brawl).

There might be 1-3 whiners, but otherwise most people would be happy about Roy's returns.

Also here in the west when non Fire Emblem fans think about Fire Emblem they think of Marth and Roy. Not Ike, lyn, Chrom, or anyone else.
I would say they also think of Ike too if for nothing else that Brawl sold 11 million copies worldwide. However, overall you are right, Marth, Roy, and Ike are pretty much the faces of Fire Emblem in the West, and no other characters come close to them.

I think it depends on how decloned he is. If he becomes completely unique, most will do a 180 degree. If he has even one or two similar moves, I'd expect them to cry clone, and say he was a waste.
I never got the people who whined about Wolf and Lucas being clones even though they only share five moves with their original counterparts (and even though those five moves are pretty different than what Fox and Ness have).

I think even if Roy is only a semi-clone, most people will welcome his return.

Yesterday, I saw 3-4 Ridley size topics on the first page. A lot of people there are brick walls (and about as smart as one too).

I don't think they'll listen to anyone. They are also the ones who believe Ridley didn't get in because he's too big. Despite the fact that Sakurai said the roster was finalized in June 2005, and Ridley's support didn't take off until after the first brawl trailer.

But, if Roy is confirmed expect a lot of flame wars.
Ridley has been a popularly supported character for Smash Bros. in the West ever since the E3 2001 Melee unveil in May 2001. Ridley became even more popularly requested after the release of Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, and Metroid Zero Mission, to the point where he was within the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash Bros. 3 in the West. He was still in the Top 5 most wanted characters in the West after the Brawl unveil, so Ridley has been a popularly requested character for the longest time.

Due to how few Nintendo "all-stars" there are left, I think Ridley's time is now. I have a good feeling that Ridley will be confirmed at E3 2013. Just two more months to go.

Also, I highly doubt there will be flame wars if Roy is confirmed. In general, there are more tears usually about character de-confirmations than there is about character confirmations

D

Deleted member

ChronoBound said:
You are right that the bandwagon mentality is much worse at GameFAQs. Keep in mind that characters like Caeda/Sheeda and Lissa used to be the most wanted FE characters after Roy at some point there (now support for them is non-existent).
They're also guilty of labeling Chrom as among the most likely newcomers, despite quite a few characters having a better resume to get in (including our boy Roy). Zoroark was also labeled as a shoe-in a lot back when the board was just opening (of course we all know what happened to Zoroark, but let's keep in mind that Chrom is in a different situation here).
ChronoBound said:
As for the "relevance argument" I don't think there is anything you can say do to convince those sort of people. Keep in mind at GameFAQs there is a large amount of people that still think Ridley is "too big" despite all the argumentation for years saying otherwise, and even Sakurai himself saying Ridley could work.
I hadn't heard of too many of these people lately on GameFAQs until a few days ago (of course we can all thank this to Vaztor, who is one of the scums of the Smash Bros. scene). But I find it funny that these same people forget that Sakurai never mentioned size when discussing Ridley.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I could be mistaken, but I specifically remember reading that Awakening (Chrom's game) has had the best US sales of any FE game ever....

I don't think Roy is irrelevant. Just that Chrom & Ike are more relevant.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I could be mistaken, but I specifically remember reading that Awakening (Chrom's game) has had the best US sales of any FE game ever....

FE13 did not have the best sales of any FE game in North America. Its life-to-date probably already has passed Shadow Dragon (FE11) though. It will probably pass up FE9 and FE10 too. It will be interesting to see if it outsells FE7 and FE8, considering the GBA had a bigger install base when those games were released than the 3DS does now.

As for being "irrelevant", Ike is just as "irrelevant" as Roy is. Ike's games are almost as old as Roy's game was when Brawl was released.

Ghirahim is technically more "relevant" than Ganondorf (whose last new appearance was in 2006), yet no one would argue who should be in Smash Bros. between the two of them

D

Deleted member

I don't think sales is a good factor in deciding character. The fact that Ike got in despite Path of Radiance being the lowest selling Fire Emblem game in Japan (and Radiant Dawn also selling poorly) shows that Sakurai doesn't really care about sales for Fire Emblem characters. It also didn't stop Ike from being highly requested to getting into Smash Bros. 4.

He's not as recent as Chrom, but importance is a different story:

Roy is the main protagonist of Fire Emblem 6, which is the main game in the Elibe Arc. While Chrom is the main protagonist of Fire Emblem: Awakening, it's essentially a FE All-Stars so he doesn't get as much focus as Roy did in his game.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I don't think sales is a good factor in deciding character. The fact that Ike got in despite Path of Radiance being the lowest selling Fire Emblem game in Japan (and Radiant Dawn also selling poorly) shows that Sakurai doesn't really care about sales for Fire Emblem characters. It also didn't stop Ike from being highly requested to getting into Smash Bros. 4.
I didn't refer to sales as a factor for character selection.
I was just responding to Bobadz implication that Marth and Roy are the two most known characters.

He's not as recent as Chrom, but importance is a different story:

Roy is the main protagonist of Fire Emblem 6, which is the main game in the Elibe Arc. While Chrom is the main protagonist of Fire Emblem: Awakening, it's essentially a FE All-Stars so he doesn't get as much focus as Roy did in his game.
Fair enough.

Honestly I would kind of prefer neither of them. Neither seem to me like they would be interesting characters ontop of what we already have. Too similar to Marth and/or Ike.

Would be nice if a new FE game came out with a non sword wielding Lord who gets in.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I was just responding to Bobadz implication that Marth and Roy are the two most known characters.
Far, far more people have played Melee and Brawl than any Fire Emblem game, so of course Marth, Roy, and Ike would be more recognizable than every other character in the Fire Emblem series.

D

Deleted member

ManBearPig said:
I didn't refer to sales as a factor for character selection.
My bad, misread your quote.

While he's wrong about non-Fire Emblem fans not thinking of Ike in the West (considering that Ike is in Brawl), Roy is definitely more well known to the public than Chrom is. Thanks to Melee, Roy is known by millions of people who have played as him before (Melee sold over seven million copies). Even if Fire Emblem: Awakening ends up breaking over a million, Chrom will still be far less known than Roy simply because he hasn't appeared in Smash yet.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
True, Roy would certainly be more well known than Chrom. But that's just because he hasn't been in a smash game yet :p

Anyway, it's really a shame that they've so far refused to make a FE Lord with a unique fighting style. Would have made things interesting instead of these debates just being about minor differences such as sales, date released and marginal differences in popularity etc.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
For the record for those that are confused by that abnormal KO with Jigglypuff dying to Roy's Blazer at only 5%, the move Blazer has this odd quirk to it that preforms knockback scaling depending on the victims weight instead of damage like other attacks. The best way to show this is to preform a "Reverse Blazer" by moving the control stick in the opposite direction as soon as the move activates, similar to Marth's Reverse Dolphin Slash technique, causing the attack to be stronger due to the properties of the hitboxes.

Generally speaking the knockback is greater the lighter the character. For very light characters like Pichu, Jigglypuff, and Mr. Game & Watch, they can be knocked out at abnormally low percentages in stages with low ceilings like Flatzone. However due to the fact that the knockback is dependent on the characters weight instead of damage, it only works effectively in very specific situations, mainly extremely light characters on stages with a low ceiling. Any other time, it does not work as a KO option.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
True, Roy would certainly be more well known than Chrom. But that's just because he hasn't been in a smash game yet :p

Anyway, it's really a shame that they've so far refused to make a FE Lord with a unique fighting style. Would have made things interesting instead of these debates just being about minor differences such as sales, date released and marginal differences in popularity etc.
This is not the Chrom thread, so I won't debate him here, but I think Chrom could end up being the weakest received FE character if he were to get in, especially if he ends up being a semi-clone of Ike.

As for lords that don't use a sword, there is like only four lords (Cellica, Hector, Ephraim, and Micaiah) whose primary weapon is not a sword in a series with 16 lords.

I would not say the difference in popularity between Roy and Chrom for Smash 4 is marginal, its the one advantage that Roy has (along with being planned for Brawl and a popular character in Melee), however, Chrom is definitely the only other FE character with a significant level of support this time.

I think Roy has plenty of potential to be realized as a playable character, and one of my goals once I have the time to make a proper support topic for Roy is collect as many unique movesets as possible for Roy. I myself even made one, I think I may even have one or two that some Roy supporters from the pre-Brawl days made as well.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Hey Chrono, I'm just curious. What would you think if we got Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom this time around?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hey Chrono, I'm just curious. What would you think if we got Marth, Ike, Roy and Chrom this time around?
I would be happy that Roy returned and that Ike did not get cut (I would be glad about Marth's return too, but he's a guarantee). I would not care that Chrom was added in (or any other fourth FE character got in for that matter). As long as Marth, Roy, and Ike are in, I'm good.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I would not say the difference in popularity between Roy and Chrom for Smash 4 is marginal
The main poll in the character section has Roy at 369 and Chrom at 329.
I'd call that pretty marginal.
This particular board seems to have more Roy supporters though. Perhaps because we seem to have a disproportionate amount of players from the Melee days around here.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The main poll in the character section has Roy at 369 and Chrom at 329.
I'd call that pretty marginal.
This particular board seems to have more Roy supporters though. Perhaps because we seem to have a disproportionate amount of players from the Melee days around here.
Depends on what your definition of "marginal" (its now 388 to 343 btw), its a bigger difference than the one between Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow for example, and Roy has more votes than any character not named Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Little Mac, and Isaac. On the poll that is solely for this site (the pinned topic), Roy has more votes than every character except those previously mentioned six.

Also, don't act as though the "Melee days" were a long time ago. Melee sold all throughout the GameCube's lifespan (it sold over seven million copies despite there only having been 21 million GameCubes sold), even today people still play Melee. Melee still has such a cult following that when it came down to that massive fundraiser, Melee was able to get in at EVO 2013.

Considering that the people own Brawl likely have a Wii, and most Wii's can play GameCube games, its not like Melee is out of reach for them either.

Not to mention there is many people whom still prefer Melee or find Melee equal to Brawl.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Depends on what your definition of "marginal" (its now 388 to 343 btw), its a bigger difference than the one between Samurai Goroh and Black Shadow for example, and Roy has more votes than any character not named Ridley, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Little Mac, and Isaac. On the poll that is solely for this site (the pinned topic), Roy has more votes than every character except those previously mentioned six.

Also, don't act as though the "Melee days" were a long time ago. Melee sold all throughout the GameCube's lifespan (it sold over seven million copies despite there only having been 21 million GameCubes sold), even today people still play Melee. Melee still has such a cult following that when it came down to that massive fundraiser, Melee was able to get in at EVO 2013.

Considering that the people own Brawl likely have a Wii, and most Wii's can play GameCube games, its not like Melee is out of reach for them either.

Not to mention there is many people whom still prefer Melee or find Melee equal to Brawl.
Pretty much. I don't think Roy was that popular in Melee though. He wasn't unpopular like Pichu, but I think he and Mewtwo gained a lot more popularity after they were cut from Brawl.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I think you misunderstood my reference to Melee.
I was just saying we have a disproportionate amount of players who know Roy from Melee. Not truly representing todays target market.
Don't need to tell me how good Melee was. IMO probably the best Smash game we will ever get.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Pretty much. I don't think Roy was that popular in Melee though. He wasn't unpopular like Pichu, but I think he and Mewtwo gained a lot more popularity after they were cut from Brawl.
Roy was always popular as a character within Melee. Mewtwo was popular among casual Smash Bros. fans too, and especially popular outside of Smash Bros. among the Pokemon fanbase. They did not gain a lot more popularity after being cut. The only characters within Melee that were disliked or "unpopular" were Pichu, Dr. Mario, and maybe Young Link. With Doc he did have some fans among the competitive set, though casual fans disliked him because they thought pill-throwing was the only difference that set him apart from regular Mario.

I think you misunderstood my reference to Melee.
I was just saying we have a disproportionate amount of players who know Roy from Melee. Not truly representing todays target market.
Seven million sold is seven million sold. It was not only the highest selling game for the GameCube, but one of the highest selling games for the generation. Today's target market has not forgotten about Melee just because it was a last generation game.

Here is an anecdote (I swear this happened), I did some babysitting and talked with a seven year old kid about some of his favorite games. He talked about Brawl and said he really liked it, but said he was upset that Roy was not in it. He thought Roy was "so gnarly". This was back in late 2009.

If the very young are able to have a re-collection of Melee and compare it to Brawl, I don't understand how you could say today's market would be unfamiliar with Melee. Lots of the people who bought Brawl, also bought Melee.

In the Nintendo Direct that talked about DLC for FE13, they referred to Marth, Roy, and Ike as "legendary characters" which means that Roy is still a marketable character even among contemporary Nintendo fans. I mean the Red vs. Blue arc (the armies of Elibe and Magvel lead by Roy and the armies of Tellius lead by Ike being at war with each other) was localized as "Smash Brethren" to capitalize on the popularity Roy and Ike have. I mean if Roy's popularity did not exist in today's market, they probably would have just left it as "Red vs. Blue".

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Seven million sold is seven million sold. It was not only the highest selling game for the GameCube, but one of the highest selling games for the generation. Today's target market has not forgotten about Melee just because it was a last generation game.

Here is an anecdote (I swear this happened), I did some babysitting and talked with a seven year old kid about some of his favorite games. He talked about Brawl and said he really liked it, but said he was upset that Roy was not in it. He thought Roy was "so gnarly". This was back in late 2009.

If the very young are able to have a re-collection of Melee and compare it to Brawl, I don't understand how you could say today's market would be unfamiliar with Melee. Lots of the people who bought Brawl, also bought Melee.

In the Nintendo Direct that talked about DLC for FE13, they referred to Marth, Roy, and Ike as "legendary characters" which means that Roy is still a marketable character even among contemporary Nintendo fans. I mean the Red vs. Blue arc (the armies of Elibe and Magvel lead by Roy and the armies of Tellius lead by Ike being at war with each other) was localized as "Smash Brethren" to capitalize on the popularity Roy and Ike have. I mean if Roy's popularity did not exist in today's market, they probably would have just left it as "Red vs. Blue".
You misunderstood what I was saying from the start, so even though I never wanted to engage in this argument.... I will say that Melee was released in 2001. SSB4 won't be released until 2014 at best. That means that people who weren't even born yet when Melee came out will make up one of if not THE most important demographic of SSB4.
And yes they will have different trends to what our older generation have.

Ofcourse there are many youngsters that have played Melee and remember Roy well, but the vast majority of this particular demographic would have been too young and started with Brawl. Citing one seven year old as an exception doesn't give any insight onto the majority.

Edit: and please don't misunderstand this and think that I was saying this has anything to do with Roy's chances of getting in. I was just replying to your tangent which was unrelated to what I said.

Anyway, I don't not want Roy to be in SSB4, I was just pointing out some reasons as to why he could miss out.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You misunderstood what I was saying from the start, so even though I never wanted to engage in this argument.... I will say that Melee was released in 2001. SSB4 won't be released until 2014 at best. That means that people who weren't even born yet when Melee came out will make up one of if not THE most important demographic of SSB4.
And yes they will have different trends to what our older generation have.
Ofcourse there are many youngsters that have played Melee and remember Roy well, but the vast majority of this particular demographic would have been too young and started with Brawl. Citing one seven year old as an exception doesn't give any insight onto the majority.
The problem with this argument is that it could apply to a lot of other characters. The last game K. Rool was in that sold millions of copies (or even over one million copies) was Donkey Kong 64 released back in late 1999. Applying your logic, K. Rool won't be in Smash 4 because the generation that exclusively grew up with a GameCube and Wii likely don't know who he is.

Also, it would be foolish to say kids under 10 are Nintendo's target demographic for Smash 4, and even then there are plenty of tweens that played Melee and know who Roy is. I don't think anyone who exclusively grew up on the Wii will be posting on this site (or otherwise a very small minority), even towards the twilight of the pre-Smash 4 period.

Secondly, if you are going to use the argument that Roy will not be in because kids under 12 might not recognize who he is, Chrom technically would be disqualified too because I would be hardpressed to know many young kids who would be interested in FE13 (besides the game is T-rated). For many casual players under 12 that play Nintendo games, their only exposure to Nintendo games includes Mario games (platformers, Kart, Party, and Sports titles), maybe a little Pokemon (or exposure to the anime), Smash Bros., Wii Sports/Wii Play, and maybe DKCReturns and some Kirby game.

For the overwhelming majority of Nintendo characters not already playable in Smash Bros., the "child demographic" you talk about would be hard-pressed to find a character he/she would want in Smash Bros. that is owned by Nintendo, not already playable in Smash Bros., and outside the Mario universe.

This is a pretty silly argument, and its just going in circles, so it would be for the best if it were dropped.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
Like I said in my edit, It wasn't an argument about Roy's chances. I was just responding to your post which I thought was out of context to what I was saying.

I don't think the generation gap has much bearing on Roy or anyone else's chances just to make that clear.

Steelia

Smash Champion
I've never played an FE game, but Roy's appearance in Awakening was almost enough for me to warrant the purchase to support him. If only I had a 3DS.

Pulling for Roy. cuz he's our boy.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I had an idea. What if they made a Dissida type game with all the FE characters with Smash Bros mechanics? I know with the upcoming crossover with Persona it'll be unlikely but it would mean Roy's appearance would be garunteed

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I had an idea. What if they made a Dissida type game with all the FE characters with Smash Bros mechanics? I know with the upcoming crossover with Persona it'll be unlikely but it would mean Roy's appearance would be garunteed
The crossover is with Shin Megami Tensei, not Persona.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mew2King posted some awesome videos of Roy. Just a question if you where to read this, do you prefer Roy, or Lyn as a 3rd Fire Emblem character?

Also, due to Roy's popularity and him being a potential semi-clone I think he'll make an easier addition than most. So I think he's quite likely to appear.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
*Looks around, hoping that he's still fairly remembered around these places*

ust a question if you where to read this, do you prefer Roy, or Lyn as a 3rd Fire Emblem character?
Lyn would definitely prove to have a much more different move-set, and maybe one that combo users may like. If I were to compare her combo potential to Marth's, she'd have a lot more.

But I guess you know who my vote goes to.

GunBlaze

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
GBLZ#778

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy-Kun and Colaya were two members of the pre-Brawl Knights of Elibe that I still see around today. Its good to see you again Roy-Kun.

Anyway, I don't why Lyn has been brought up in the last three posts considering this is a Roy topic. Lyn pretty much missed her chance with Brawl, and even today, there are other female FE characters that get more requests than her (Anna and Lucina). Its pretty much just Roy and Chrom as far as lots of requests for a FE newcomer go.

As for as the the Elibe arc goes, Roy is definitely by far the most popular and important lord from those two games (FE6 and FE7).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom