• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

I dont know whats wrong with your game but i have no issues with online in RoA. I use xbox controller because im lazy to use my gc one. and imagine Melee Roy with no smashes and dtilt. what is he sandbag? Guineapig126 Guineapig126 yeah sure man just add me or pm me here to let me know whats up. That goes for all of you guys i guess i dont mind playing with you just i cant play all the time. this weekend though im free like all day saturday sunday tonight even.
Edit- How do you reply/quote multiple people?
Hit reply on each separate post while typing one draft, that should do the trick

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
^ Or, click "Quote" under each post you want to reply to, and once you've gotten all of them, go to the textbox and click "Insert Quotes" to add them to the post.
It's a new feature added in the recent update, so not many people probably know about it yet.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Protip: instead of provoking users, if you really can't stand someone hit the ignore button. Thanks.

Also, I missed the registration cutoff thanks to my flight... Unless they could squeeze in +2 players, dunno.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
You were the first one to call someone idiot... It was a simple joke, and it turned into "this".

Both of you... can't you stop this please? It always takes two.
I have a hard time believing that. It's like I said, I was only here for a friendly greeting and nothing more. I have no idea what's wrong with that.

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Yeah sure, adding you now. Guess we can PM? Or you can hit me up on skype, same name as on here and you reply to multiple people by quoting multiple times per post I think? if it works for me now then I'm right lol

Guess I'm hitting up two people tonight/this weekend? aight lets go adding so many people

EDIT: and I forgot to comment on the smash ladder thing ugh

So I HAVE been on there before, but it was just this D3 player I got reked by and he was just like "yeah stops rolling" overall first experience wasn't as amazing as I expected it to be
Hit reply on each separate post while typing one draft, that should do the trick
alrighty guys thanks. and whenever i would ask for help they would be like Play fox instead of roy. and i really only ever got help from the creator of 20XXTE dan salvato.

Um...I was requested to visit this social, but I'm not naming anyone. So, uh hello.
*Hides behind Guineapig126*
It was me. Why would you hide behind them?

Does anyone have a list of Roy's true combos?
Experiment with forward throw, down throw, sweetspot up air, sweetspot forward air, sweetspot neutral air, jab, and high percent sourspots as combo starters.

Good combo finishers are forward air, back air, up air, neutral air, side-b (Double Edge Dance), and Blazer.
If you're on the ground or landing while hitting with an aerial, experiment with your jab and tilts. Your jab and tilts combo into each other, too.

Fast fall your aerials, learn short hops and how to combine both short and full hops.

Roy has all-encompassing combos, situational combos, DI mixups, setups he can use when he can't true combo, sweet-and-sour combos, weight-dependent combos, etc. It really fleshes him out and adds an enjoyable feeling to his play that makes me feel like I'm truly learning Smash, and loving the game more the more I play him.

Learn how factors such as weight, fall speed, DI, and rage affect combos, mainly feel it out.

Take risks and innovate after landing each of those, your combos will naturally flow within each other. See what you get while they're in hitstun, and see what you don't get, and use that to set up further stuff.

It'll help learn really jerky or weird setups that work and look sexy, namely landing traps.

I can't simply just give a list of combos, you gotta innovate and create with the starters and finishers I provided, try and create a new combo starter or finisher if you get good ideas for one, and see what you can come up with on setups, reading plus reacting to their DI, and reading plus reacting to how they land.

alrighty guys thanks. and whenever i would ask for help they would be like Play fox instead of roy. and i really only ever got help from the creator of 20XXTE dan salvato.
His channel is godlike.

Last edited:

SirIanAsh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ianash1
3DS FC
5086-1581-2800
Is there no Skype group for Roy mains? There is a Skype group for most of the characters lol.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I have a hard time believing that. It's like I said, I was only here for a friendly greeting and nothing more. I have no idea what's wrong with that.
To close it up... he made a joke. Not even one that should insult you, rather a joke that is kinda a joke on roy himself.
But you took it personally, and instantly went for calling someone idiot.
And instead of clearing the missunderstanding up, it was just shoved more wood into the fire, by his reply afterwards.

Hence my "it always takes two."
That's pretty much all. He said hi in a fun way, not really meant in a hurtful way.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
To close it up... he made a joke. Not even one that should insult you, rather a joke that is kinda a joke on roy himself.
But you took it personally, and instantly went for calling someone idiot.
And instead of clearing the missunderstanding up, it was just shoved more wood into the fire, by his reply afterwards.

Hence my "it always takes two."
That's pretty much all. He said hi in a fun way, not really meant in a hurtful way.
It's not my fault I can't tell if he was joking or not. It would've made sense if he just said something like "I'm just kidding" but he never did. Look, I've already been through hell having to spend nearly 2 weeks lying in a hospital bed from a severe abdominal pain, which later turned out I have gallstones in my gallbladder that required surgery just to get it removed. Plus I nearly lost my job had I not stayed in touch with them to let them know of my progress.

They say that laughter makes the best medicine. Well, it's not working and I was not in the mood for it until I'm fully recovered but I don't know if I'll ever be the same again. I will say this, I don't want anymore misunderstandings like this. If he wants to say "hi" then he has to do it properly, okay?

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
How's it rocking Roy-mains

What do you think the upcoming patch might do for Roy?
Not much. Same old ****.

I'm not convince if it's gonna be another balance patch...but then again, patches 1.0.8 and 1.1.0 were a surprise so I'm not sure what sort of changes we could expect come Wednesday.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Long time lurker, first time posting here. ~

Hello, everyone. ^_^

Is there no Skype group for Roy mains? There is a Skype group for most of the characters lol.
There's a thread for the Roy skype group, you can post your skype name there and I'll send you a request, or you can add me. My skype name is engardevoir. Please be sure to put "Roy skype group" or something similar in the friend request.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre

Hello, everyone. ^_^

There's a thread for the Roy skype group, you can post your skype name there and I'll send you a request, or you can add me. My skype name is engardevoir. Please be sure to put "Roy skype group" or something similar in the friend request.
Whelp, welcome then, lurker-chan.

Expect bad meme's and jokes, aswell posts of struggling old FE players.

Edit: What am I talking about. You're lurking, you know that already. Just welcome then.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

I'm pretty sure that he's going to remain the same; he might get slight buffs and or nerfs at best. People don't really say much about him, and he lacks tournament representation. Until he gets more attention, I highly doubt he's going to change. It seems like only really bad characters or really good/popular characters get significant changes onto them.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

Edit: What am I talking about. You're lurking, you know that already. Just welcome then.
^_^ Thank you!

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
I'm pretty sure that he's going to remain the same; he might get slight buffs and or nerfs at best. People don't really say much about him, and he lacks tournament representation. Until he gets more attention, I highly doubt he's going to change. It seems like only really bad characters or really good/popular characters get significant changes onto them.
Hm... I could see atleast getting his hitboxes changed a bit, but currently from framedata and power, no reason why he should.
And not even majorly buffed like longer range, just something with upsmash, or neutral b.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Are we here to sip tea while watchin' these whippersnappers play their automatic visual novel game with strategy JRPG game elements, old chap

Joking aside, I want them to make Flare Blade useful, even just tiny less starting lag when you release would be a start.

IDK why we have another useless special in the game like Kirby's Hammer Flip.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Are we here to sip tea while watchin' these whippersnappers play their automatic visual novel game with strategy JRPG game elements, old chap

Joking aside, I want them to make Flare Blade useful. IDK why we have another useless special in the game like Kirby's Hammer Flip.
That's the only thing really bothering me about roy, the flare blade. The almost no lag is nice, but what for if I can't hit effectively with it?
Atleast the hit should cover a bit above him aswell, of have an impact like ike. Otherwise I think Roy is fine.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Hm... I could see atleast getting his hitboxes changed a bit, but currently from framedata and power, no reason why he should.
And not even majorly buffed like longer range, just something with upsmash, or neutral b.
Pretty much. He is one of the most balanced characters in the game, IMO. He has more or less an equal amount of strengths and weaknesses. Problem is that other characters aren't so balanced. Smash 4 seems to heavily favor towards characters with strong neutrals, unpredictable recoveries, and guaranteed combos. As good as Roy is, he suffers behind characters that have those things, making him fall behind. This is just my observation though. I am by no means a Smash expert. Perhaps we should just balance all the other characters instead, but I doubt that would happen. There are like 50+ characters in the game, and characters aren't buffed just for competitive reasons.

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Pretty much. He is one of the most balanced characters in the game, IMO. He has more or less an equal amount of strengths and weaknesses. Problem is that other characters aren't so balanced. Smash 4 seems to heavily favor towards characters with strong neutrals, unpredictable recoveries, and guaranteed combos. As good as Roy is, he suffers behind characters that have those things, making him fall behind. This is just my observation though. I am by no means a Smash expert. Perhaps we should just balance all the other characters instead, but I doubt that would happen. There are like 50+ characters in the game, and characters aren't buffed just for competitive reasons.
We can KO people at 50% with the help of rage.
We are good. I really mean it, with wavebouncing, and a better flare blade, we could be high tier easily. Hitboxes is my really only problem, the framedata is nice, the range aswell, and out killpower evens the fast faller mentality of getting combo'd easily out.
IMO ofc. Am no expert myself.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's the only thing really bothering me about roy, the flare blade. The almost no lag is nice, but what for if I can't hit effectively with it?
Atleast the hit should cover a bit above him aswell, of have an impact like ike. Otherwise I think Roy is fine.
Pretty much. I want my mix-up pressure + edge-guard tool back, pls.

But yeah. I think Roy's fine ATM. Though still waiting the true combos to be discovered.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
Roys dtilt should come back to its former glory same with his Flare Blade. i dont really like the changes the made to Roy in smash 4. His Double Edge Dance is really bad now and lacks kill power and he lost a lot of combo potential. I know i praise PM roy a lot but he should have been the one we got so we have Roy in his true glory. but really all that should change is Usmash back to melee style DED back to melee/PM since PMs ded is better flare blade is i guess alright but a horrible approach option unlike its old self. it has no arc so it can only it whats right in front of him and his range was butchered in this game

search each forum page, CTRL+F skype

AYYYYYYYYY UR BACK

and to answer that, probably nothing

Hello, everyone. ^_^

whoaa mama, welcome!! I hope you enjoy it here

Roys dtilt should come back to its former glory same with his Flare Blade. i dont really like the changes the made to Roy in smash 4. His Double Edge Dance is really bad now and lacks kill power and he lost a lot of combo potential. I know i praise PM roy a lot but he should have been the one we got so we have Roy in his true glory. but really all that should change is Usmash back to melee style DED back to melee/PM since PMs ded is better flare blade is i guess alright but a horrible approach option unlike its old self. it has no arc so it can only it whats right in front of him and his range was butchered in this game
Yes. I miss using the third hit of DED to kill, meteor, or have lingering shield pressure before the fourth swing. I miss the arc on Flare Blade that made it truly useful. Now it's only good for baiting something out that's gonna come down right in front of you, to bait someone around the ledge, or as a flashy landing trap. It can b-reverse and wavebounce, but other than that, is there anything that really makes it :GCB:?

Some of the changes to Roy (making his DED, counter pose, and dtilt the exact same as Marth, new Flare Blade) that could have just been ported over are a bit disappointing. This game has a theme with ruining the neutral specials of returning Melee vets.

Last edited:

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
search each forum page, CTRL+F skype

AYYYYYYYYY UR BACK

and to answer that, probably nothing

whoaa mama, welcome!! I hope you enjoy it here

Yes. I miss using the third hit of DED to kill, meteor, or have lingering shield pressure before the fourth swing. I miss the arc on Flare Blade that made it truly useful. Now it's only good for baiting something out that's gonna come down right in front of you, to bait someone around the ledge, or as a flashy landing trap. It can b-reverse and wavebounce, but other than that, is there anything that really makes it :GCB:?

Some of the changes to Roy (making his DED, counter pose, and dtilt the exact same as Marth, new Flare Blade) that could have just been ported over are a bit disappointing. This game has a theme with ruining the neutral specials of returning Melee vets.
Well i know in melee you cant but B reversing and wavebouncing roys PM flare blade and counter bait was very satisfying to me

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

Indubitably! Have you seen what these youngsters are playing these days? They're fighting with weapons that don't break! Remember when my sword had limited uses? Ah those were the days, my friend. Oh yes, those were the days. However, with all due respect, if there's one thing that completely dumbfounds me it's "skinshipping"... or as most would say, "Fire Emblem-Amie". Strengthening a relationship by rubbing someone's face is such an unusual concept. Back in my day, I would just have heart-to-heart conversations with my comrades! But there's one thing these whippersnappers have over us old-timers... they don't have to be masochists to enjoy their games.

Seriously though, if we do end up getting a balance patch, I could see Roy getting some changes. Not sure what I want exactly, but I'm going to bet on an Fsmash nerf as usual hehehe.

Also, a warm welcome to the new peeps! Things might get heated from time to time here, but I'm sure you could handle it. And this is pretty cute:

I think I found Lucario's hard counter...

Well i may pick it back up. I do still play netplay just i do not ever go on anthers ladder anymore. And the reason i left smash was more of I was turning into a **** wad and the group i was in was treating me like **** and the entire community was just turning my life which is already pretty hectic into a giant hellhole. And it just made me despise a game i loved a lot. if any of you have netplay feel free to add me on skype chris.skorniak or just add me to talk i always enjoy new people. also missed all of you guys. Croph Croph dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 dy831532sssfjhhggb2224523 you two people have been around for while. you guys can add me if you want im normally always on. Also not relevant i want to start streaming again so thats a thing.
Hey, nice to hear from ya again. I'll be sure to add you tomorrow (about to go to sleep) and I don't do netplay but I'm on Skype like 24/7. If anyone would like to add me for Smash 4, feel free. Got some time before next Saturday of course, so I'd like to get as much practice in, although I'm always super rusty.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I just realised I stopped getting notifications from this thread, does that just happen if you're inactive for a while?
It usually happens if you get a notification, and open the notification panel, but don't actually click on it for whatever reason - if there are new replies you haven't seen, you don't get notifications any more. Though some people have reported that it just randomly happens for no reason.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

^ Saved. I have some lucario friends that'll get a kick out of that.

Someone shared this with me yesterday, thought you guys would enjoy it too. ~
12065509_546926055474179_7605487770314051021_n.png
12049301_546926132140838_5064835731403489036_n.png

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
It usually happens if you get a notification, and open the notification panel, but don't actually click on it for whatever reason - if there are new replies you haven't seen, you don't get notifications any more. Though some people have reported that it just randomly happens for no reason.
Yeah, I think I might of opened the notification panel but not checked a while ago

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828

Indubitably! Have you seen what these youngsters are playing these days? They're fighting with weapons that don't break! Remember when my sword had limited uses? Ah those were the days, my friend. Oh yes, those were the days. However, with all due respect, if there's one thing that completely dumbfounds me it's "skinshipping"... or as most would say, "Fire Emblem-Amie". Strengthening a relationship by rubbing someone's face is such an unusual concept. Back in my day, I would just have heart-to-heart conversations with my comrades! But there's one thing these whippersnappers have over us old-timers... they don't have to be masochists to enjoy their games.

Seriously though, if we do end up getting a balance patch, I could see Roy getting some changes. Not sure what I want exactly, but I'm going to bet on an Fsmash nerf as usual hehehe.

Also, a warm welcome to the new peeps! Things might get heated from time to time here, but I'm sure you could handle it. And this is pretty cute:

Hey, nice to hear from ya again. I'll be sure to add you tomorrow (about to go to sleep) and I don't do netplay but I'm on Skype like 24/7. If anyone would like to add me for Smash 4, feel free. Got some time before next Saturday of course, so I'd like to get as much practice in, although I'm always super rusty.
I just realised I stopped getting notifications from this thread, does that just happen if you're inactive for a while?
feel free to add me for smash 4 i can always help with training. like i said i may not be as good as i used to be but im not that bad. and yeah it seems like you dont get notifications for being gone for a while. i was absent for almost 2 months and never got more notifications until i manually came back

I feel bad. I always think those people who main like 900 characters leave themselves little to no room for improvement, that they don't take competitive play seriously at all, that they're in their really scrubby phase like when I was that way in 2014 with Project M and wanted to main a bunch of characters until I realized the problem with that, etc. Those people who post the entire roster and say "here's my mains."

I was on FG (wasn't in a good spot for anther's) and ran into this guy who occasionally flashed his tag as "NUBS=MAINS" or something like that and other plain rude stuff. I kept getting my ass handed to me by a different character every match (including by Roy when I played Ike game 1 and Roy for the rest) and just felt disappointed in myself and like I was disappointing to other Roy mains. I don't think I'm that good, but I don't think I should ever be that bad. Especially since I feel far from anyone who mains 1-3 characters, or at least should be. I feel like my neutral's too weak compared to other things I do, and I'm looking to fix that now and make it my strongest feature.

Oh well, tomorrow at work shouldn't be too bad since it's my Friday and I've always got room for improvement. It's just something that's been bugging me for a bit but I'm good now that it's just out.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
^ Saved. I have some lucario friends that'll get a kick out of that.

Someone shared this with me yesterday, thought you guys would enjoy it too. ~
Lmao. :4roy: without his sunglasses reminds me of this:

I feel bad. I always think those people who main like 900 characters leave themselves little to no room for improvement, that they don't take competitive play seriously at all, that they're in their really scrubby phase like when I was that way in 2014 with Project M and wanted to main a bunch of characters until I realized the problem with that, etc. Those people who post the entire roster when they say "here's my mains" and make a big deal out of it.

I was on FG (wasn't in a good spot for anther's) and ran into this guy who occasionally flashed his tag as "NUBS=MAINS" or something like that and other plain rude stuff. I kept getting my *** handed to me by a different character every match (including by Roy when I played Ike game 1 and Roy for the rest) and just felt disappointed in myself and like I was disappointing to other Roy mains. I don't think I'm that good, but I don't think I should ever be that bad. Especially since I feel far from anyone who mains 1-3 characters, or at least should be. I feel like my neutral's too weak compared to other things I do, and I'm looking to fix that now and make it my strongest feature.

Oh well, tomorrow at work shouldn't be too bad since it's my Friday and I've always got room for improvement. It's just something that's been bugging me for a bit but I'm good now that it's just out.
I've seen FG videos where people got their ass kicked by players who kept switching to different fighters. I think those players are pros/tourney goers and/or just really good at the game and understand like everything at a fundamental level. You can just tell because their movements are very fluid and they seem to know MUs well. Another thing could be the player on the opposite end not knowing the different MUs (especially for underused characters). I mean, who the hell knows how to fight :4olimar:? More importantly, does anyone know how to fight a Nolimar?? That character is so crazy, at the start of every Nolimar match I always huddle in a corner and sob for 10 min. What a scary fighter...

Seriously though, you shouldn't feel like you're disappointing to Roy mains. No one here is. The only thing disappointing is when I see Young Lions give up. And your burning passion isn't going to die out... right?

Lmao. :4roy: without his sunglasses reminds me of this:

I've seen FG videos where people got their *** kicked by players who kept switching to different fighters. I think those players are pros/tourney goers and/or just really good at the game and understand like everything at a fundamental level. You can just tell because their movements are very fluid and they seem to know MUs well. Another thing could be the player on the opposite end not knowing the different MUs (especially for underused characters). I mean, who the hell knows how to fight :4olimar:? More importantly, does anyone know how to fight a Nolimar?? That character is so crazy, at the start of every Nolimar match I always huddle in a corner and sob for 10 min. What a scary fighter...

Seriously though, you shouldn't feel like you're disappointing to Roy mains. No one here is. The only thing disappointing is when I see Young Lions give up. And your burning passion isn't going to die out... right?
Thank you for this. Nah, it's just a minor disappointment. I'm still really excited to play the game and for the Mario Maker stage releasing on a day I have off.

It might have been some top-level player like Nairo hopping on their brother's Wii U and trolling for his channel, for all I know.

Top Bottom