• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

Reminder that the Smash Ballot for DLC fighters is ending very soon, and to vote for your favorite characters to potentially be fighters.

I spent a good chunk of today sending many votes for fighters I'd like to see, and I'm excited for just about any potential DLC.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Reminder that the Smash Ballot for DLC fighters is ending very soon, and to vote for your favorite characters to potentially be fighters.

I spent a good chunk of today sending many votes for fighters I'd like to see, and I'm excited for just about any potential DLC.
Oh ****. Better boot up the ol' IP hider.

Pipe dreams ftw

I also sent in a vote thanking Sakurai & Co. for Roy. Glad to have our boy back. <3

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Amg, Hamtaro! I'm just having a nostalgia overload right now. That was one of my favorite shows ever. That show inspired me to get a hamster, like really that show was amazing. I was so devastated when it got cancelled ugh. I still have my Bijou plush from a while ago.

Anyway, I voted for Dixie Kong. I would have voted for others, but I can only see Dixie getting in IMO. Most of my suggestions were either too obscure or were from an "overrepped" franchise; I doubt they would have considered my characters. If I'm voting for someone, I'm voting for someone who actually may have a chance.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
View attachment 76192 View attachment 76189 yall wanted fanart

well heres what i was able to rescue from my dank maymay folder
Adding that Hamtaroy to my fanart folder. ~

As for voting, I kinda feel like I already got who I asked for; well, kind of. I voted for Llyod Irving, and tbh I didn't really expect to get him. So, the fact that they added a Mii costume of him is good enough for me, even if the second sword stays sheathed lol. Guess the only other character I would want in Smash is Isaac, though I'm not sure how likely he'll be either.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
increase fan art dosage, I'm sure some of you want me to use a spoiler, DEAL WITH IT
8669767.jpg
13091334.jpg
18593774.jpg

YOU PEOPLE PLAYED HAMTARO TOO WHAT I THOUGHT MY SISTER AND I WERE THE ONLY ONES LMAO
I know a guy older then me who played that game, as well as some friends and my sister.
Apparently it's a good game and sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who did not play that game

I sent in a final thank you for Roy.
instructions unclear, added Eliwood to the game

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
RIP mobile users...

I love this picture

:4ryu:: Roy, Lucas... grab onto me and I'll TATSUMAKI SENPUKYAKU!! our way to Smash 4!

Speaking of Ryu, last weekend I bought this keychain for my backpack:

When I left the store I opened the keychain and held it my hand. I looked up at the clear sky and said to myself, "Y'know, deep down I have a burning PH1R3 spirit. But perhaps I have an untapped fighting spirit as well." At that moment I built up the courage and motivation to learn Ryu.

Thank you Hello Kitty cosplaying as Ryu. You're an inspiration to us all.

Troykv

Smash Master

Well.. I have the opportunity for vote again in other dispositive...

Micaiah 4 Smash!

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
EDIT: nope, I'm not so cool as to leave that in lol. ;_;

RIP mobile users...

I love this picture

:4ryu:: Roy, Lucas... grab onto me and I'll TATSUMAKI SENPUKYAKU!! our way to Smash 4!

Speaking of Ryu, last weekend I bought this keychain for my backpack:

When I left the store I opened the keychain and held it my hand. I looked up at the clear sky and said to myself, "Y'know, deep down I have a burning PH1R3 spirit. But perhaps I have an untapped fighting spirit as well." At that moment I built up the courage and motivation to learn Ryu.

Thank you Hello Kitty cosplaying as Ryu. You're an inspiration to us all.
Ryu is legit scary lol, especially after the patch. Good luck with him. ~

Attachments

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you guys want to see more Roy fanart? 'cause i made one!

Do you guys want to see more Roy fanart? 'cause i made one!
I'm loving all of these blasts to the past. The three eds and Beavis+Butthead have been a huge part of my life since childhood and I still look back on them a lot. Now I'm thinking of Robin as Edd and Ike as Ed, then Marth as Rolf, and Lucina as the blue-haired kanker sister.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I would post some fan art here, but I have no clue how to post images. Any tips?

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I would post some fan art here, but I have no clue how to post images. Any tips?
Either attach them with the "upload a file" button below the post editor, and then insert them, or upload them to Imgur or some other image host of your choice, and add the direct URL to the image between [img] tags (example: [img]http://I.imgur.com/example.jpg[/img])

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306

I DID IT!!! I HAVE T3H PH1R3!!!11

I did both of these, btw and yeah I'm pretty sure the second one is Roy.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon

I DID IT!!! I HAVE T3H PH1R3!!!11

I did both of these, btw and yeah I'm pretty sure the second one is Roy.
INCEASE POWER MUST USE SHIPPING (also I really like that first one)
19317577.jpg
15622667.jpg
34600428.jpg

Actually Roy/Lilina is easy to find

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828
On a completely unrelated note Thank god Zero finally lost. But he started complaining about Sonic right after. Also started my next LP after being absent for three months. Im happy to be doing it again and i ordered a component capture device so i can play my old consoles without emulators and finally do a KH2FM run without my PC lagging while recording. Like i said totally unrelated but i figured you guys wouldnt mind.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Ryu is legit scary lol, especially after the patch. Good luck with him. ~
Yeah... I'm still looking for a secondary though. Dunno if Ryu would be a good fit, but it won't hurt spending some time on him. And at least he sounds a lot better than :4fox: (was thinking about making him a secondary as well). RIP my ears whenever I play as Fox lol.

Anyway, remember sometime ago I posted
This is very specific... Hm, I'm not having much luck finding such artwork myself. There is this sketch of Roy and Lelouch though...

But yeah, we need like artwork of Roy in this pose

or this

Fun fact: Jun Fukuyama (Roy's VA) voices both anime characters. It's funny that they kinda made the Dark Flame Master a parody of Lelouch when you think about it.
Well, guess what I just found today:

---

Lady Kuki Lady Kuki Wait, you did both of the artworks you posted!? They look amazing! I was just going to ask if you have Tumblr so I could follow or DeviantArt. But I just saw a DA link in your profile. Your style is beautiful~

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Yeah... I'm still looking for a secondary though. Dunno if Ryu would be a good fit, but it won't hurt spending some time on him. And at least he sounds a lot better than :4fox: (was thinking about making him a secondary as well). RIP my ears whenever I play as Fox lol.

---

Lady Kuki Lady Kuki Wait, you did both of the artworks you posted!? They look amazing! I was just going to ask if you have Tumblr so I could follow or DeviantArt. But I just saw a DA link in your profile. Your style is beautiful~
Haha! Yep! Thank you so much! My tumblr is swankybubbles by the way.

Anyway, that picture of Roy makes me want to draw the Persona 5 protagonist and Roy with their outfits switched, since they're both voiced by Fukuyama and what not lol.
Eliwood in Fates style? I.... I!!
Yep. Had a lot of fun doing that. Makes me wish Eliwood was in that game. ;n;

Last edited:
On a completely unrelated note Thank god Zero finally lost. But he started complaining about Sonic right after. Also started my next LP after being absent for three months. Im happy to be doing it again and i ordered a component capture device so i can play my old consoles without emulators and finally do a KH2FM run without my PC lagging while recording. Like i said totally unrelated but i figured you guys wouldnt mind.
KH2FM is my ****. I remember watching countless youtube vids for almost a decade on Limit Form and the FM bosses. Now I have 2.5 and still barely did anything, ugh. Excited for the sequel to BBS centered around Aqua.

My favorite part of the smash doc was seeing PPMD's KH2 shirt being the same one I ordered in 2009 or 2010 and still wear.

---

The Dark Flame Master, blazing in the dark For Glory!

You should not have challenged me with a dragon

Haha! Yep! Thank you so much! My tumblr is swankybubbles by the way.

Anyway, that picture of Roy makes me want to draw the Persona 5 protagonist and Roy with their outfits switched, since they're both voiced by Fukuyama and what not lol.

Yep. Had a lot of fun doing that. Makes me wish Eliwood was in that game. ;n;
He probably never will be. However, this does make up for what happened with Awakening and what is very likely with Fates. I'm really glad to just see this style as something that measures up to the officials. Maybe if I.S saw this, it could shape the future....

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
He probably never will be. However, this does make up for what happened with Awakening and what is very likely with Fates. I'm really glad to just see this style as something that measures up to the officials. Maybe if I.S saw this, it could shape the future....
Haha it's pretty much a given that IS wouldn't put Eliwood in Fates. He's too obscure of a character; newer FE fans would question why he was IS even added him in the first place. I could definitely see Roy though, you know with the amiibo and all.

Anyway, I highly doubt IS, a Japanese company would stumble across some random fan art of Eliwood and say: "Hey! Let's put the FE7 lords in more of our games!" It just sounds too coincidental to me. For one thing, that pic of Eliwood I drew is not a viral picture, probably because like I said, not very many new FE fans know or care about him. (And I am no popular artist) Second, unless my picture gets reposted by someone who is Japanese, I don't think IS or any other Japanese company is going to take note of this... And I'm completely okay with it. I'm just a fan girl who wanted to see what Eliwood were to look like if he were in the game, that's all. Thanks for the compliment though.

Speaking of which, what do you mean about Awakening and Fates? What happened with those two games?

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Speaking of which, what do you mean about Awakening and Fates? What happened with those two games?
Well really what hasn't happened:
  • flatter characters
  • new mechanics
  • mass appeal
  • poor story
the core of the old game is still there, but it's not really close to being what it used to be anymore. It's kind of heartbreaking, least I can still look forward to banner saga

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Not gonna lie, I really enjoyed Awakening, but then, that was my introduction to the series. I guess I'm one of the darn new FE fans ruining you guys' franchise, lol.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Not gonna lie, I really enjoyed Awakening, but then, that was my introduction to the series. I guess I'm one of the darn new FE fans ruining you guys' franchise, lol.
they don't truly ruin the franchise until they act like it's the only game in the series.
The guy who thought marth should have been removed entirely for lucina made me really sad.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Well really what hasn't happened:
  • flatter characters
  • new mechanics
  • mass appeal
  • poor story
the core of the old game is still there, but it's not really close to being what it used to be anymore. It's kind of heartbreaking, least I can still look forward to banner saga
Understandable. Personally, Awakening didn't seem all too bad at first. It was different, sure but it wasn't going to be the staple of the franchise, at least that's what I thought. Then Fates came along and increased everything ten fold: More waifus, more MUs and more children! Children that were pretty much shoehorned into the game for no reason! 'Cause that's what saved the series, right? At least Awakening had time traveling, so it made a bit of sense. That and with Genealogy being the only other game to feature children, the children mechanic wasn't as annoying at the time.

I didn't mind Awakening at all. I liked it actually. I never played it, but I saw the gameplay and read plenty of things about it; it's not bad, it's just different. The fan service, while unnecessary was very little. One problem I have with Awakening is how almost every character's personality is an anime trope, at least from what I could gather from. I thought the personalities were kinda lazy. I also don't like how since Awakening did so well, IS thought it was necessary to bring back the waifus, the children, the fanservice and the My Units. Oh well; pandering to the otaku crowd is what gets them money, so I can't complain. With more money comes more FEs and more FEs come with more fans. At least FE is slowly starting to become a big franchise now.

Lol. You think you're an FE scrub? Try being a fan who has never completed any of the games, including the beginner-friendly ones like Sacred Stones and Blazing Sword: That would be me. I'm personally into FE for the characters, story and art. I have no talent in strategy games whatsoever. I don't have the right to judge new FE fans despite me being into the series since 2010. If anything, with my lack of gameplay knowledge, I'm just as new as any of you guys. XD

In other words, it's good that Awakening got you into the franchise. It's even better that it made you want to try out all the other games. Who cares if someone thinks you're not a true fan for starting with Awakening? You like what you like.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm wonder how FE15 would be... In other circunstances could think: Oh well, this will probably applies a similar logic that the other Fire Emblem, two Fire Emblems with the same engine and similar style (the only real exception are the GBA games...but SS was done for a smaller development at the same time that Path of Radiance)... But the absurdly popularity that the last two games had makes me fear a little bit.

D

Deleted member

Man, i can't believe that there are still ignorant Anti-Roy arguments out there. Im not gonna call out any names, but i have seen people saying baseless claims about him on a certain thread that im not going to say it's name to avoid trouble.

I don't know if i should say this, but i regret not joining SmashBoards sooner since i feel i could have helped the Roy support thread before he was confirmed.

If i return for Smash 5/6, i want to wipe out the floor with all those whiny anti-Roy liars and take all their waifus.

That's all i have to say, carry on with your Roy talk my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Understandable. Personally, Awakening didn't seem all too bad at first. It was different, sure but it wasn't going to be the staple of the franchise, at least that's what I thought. Then Fates came along and increased everything ten fold: More waifus, more MUs and more children! Children that were pretty much shoehorned into the game for no reason! 'Cause that's what saved the series, right? At least Awakening had time traveling, so it made a bit of sense. That and with Genealogy being the only other game to feature children, the children mechanic wasn't as annoying at the time.

I didn't mind Awakening at all. I liked it actually. I never played it, but I saw the gameplay and read plenty of things about it; it's not bad, it's just different. The fan service, while unnecessary was very little. One problem I have with Awakening is how almost every character's personality is an anime trope, at least from what I could gather from. I thought the personalities were kinda lazy. I also don't like how since Awakening did so well, IS thought it was necessary to bring back the waifus, the children, the fanservice and the My Units. Oh well; pandering to the otaku crowd is what gets them money, so I can't complain. With more money comes more FEs and more FEs come with more fans. At least FE is slowly starting to become a big franchise now.

Lol. You think you're an FE scrub? Try being a fan who has never completed any of the games, including the beginner-friendly ones like Sacred Stones and Blazing Sword: That would be me. I'm personally into FE for the characters, story and art. I have no talent in strategy games whatsoever. I don't have the right to judge new FE fans despite me being into the series since 2010. If anything, with my lack of gameplay knowledge, I'm just as new as any of you guys. XD

In other words, it's good that Awakening got you into the franchise. It's even better that it made you want to try out all the other games. Who cares if someone thinks you're not a true fan for starting with Awakening? You like what you like.
I'll admit to grinding out an army of gale force super children lol. I'm about half way through a run of Shadow Dragon, might try another game when I'm finished with that one, but I haven't picked which one yet.

As for Fates, the skinship thing weirds me out. I really liked pokemon-amie, in pokemon. But there's a pretty big difference between petting a pokemon and a person. Still gonna get it when it comes out for the US, though.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Ayy I just got my 3rd fe game, fe7, on the wii u virtual console. From what I've heard fe a and ss are 2 of the easier games in the franchise (I'm not surprised, I didn't struggle too hard with them) so with those being the only other 2 I've played, I don't know quite how hard I'll find fe7. I'm only on ch 2 think but I already know I won't use Kent but will use Sain just by their appearances and personalities, does anyone else get that while playing fe? where you know from the moment you meet a character if you'll use them or not? Anyway I already hate how much it babies me through the intro, not that I'm not surprised about it though, considering it was the 1st game out of japan, I hope it stops soon though. Please don't give me character spoilers, I want to see them for the first time myself.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
Ayy I just got my 3rd fe game, fe7, on the wii u virtual console. From what I've heard fe a and ss are 2 of the easier games in the franchise (I'm not surprised, I didn't struggle too hard with them) so with those being the only other 2 I've played, I don't know quite how hard I'll find fe7. I'm only on ch 2 think but I already know I won't use Kent but will use Sain just by their appearances and personalities, does anyone else get that while playing fe? where you know from the moment you meet a character if you'll use them or not? Anyway I already hate how much it babies me through the intro, not that I'm not surprised about it though, considering it was the 1st game out of japan, I hope it stops soon though. Please don't give me character spoilers, I want to see them for the first time myself.
dude I fully train thieves in games they don't promote, everybody picks favorites
oh and enjoy the 11 chapters of tutorials :secretkpop:

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
So I am picking up Roy as a secondary. Mainly because he was my childhood favorite and his fighting style is excelent. I think that Roy might be one of the most aggressive characters in the game. Also, attacking with a sword upside down just looks sick.

Any advice for me?

Last edited:
Haha it's pretty much a given that IS wouldn't put Eliwood in Fates. He's too obscure of a character; newer FE fans would question why he was IS even added him in the first place. I could definitely see Roy though, you know with the amiibo and all.

Anyway, I highly doubt IS, a Japanese company would stumble across some random fan art of Eliwood and say: "Hey! Let's put the FE7 lords in more of our games!" It just sounds too coincidental to me. For one thing, that pic of Eliwood I drew is not a viral picture, probably because like I said, not very many new FE fans know or care about him. (And I am no popular artist) Second, unless my picture gets reposted by someone who is Japanese, I don't think IS or any other Japanese company is going to take note of this... And I'm completely okay with it. I'm just a fan girl who wanted to see what Eliwood were to look like if he were in the game, that's all. Thanks for the compliment though.

If I.S wants to add past lords with DLC and sees some epic art, who knows? Maybe they'll have one of their picks, a character previously left out. Roy's mesh and new design in Smash looks eerily similar to obscure art a good amount of us sent in via ballot, email, and social media together early this year....

Awakening = leaving out Eliwood and some other lords entirely, Fates = no word on most continents with less hope for epic DLC redesigns.

I want to see Eliwood and Hector get their chance in Fates. I want to see Lyndis get something new too since being a trio is what makes them, and any of them being left out destroys that.

Their obscurity isn't what's hurting them, it's that they don't originate from Archanea or Ylisse for prime milking in the case of Fates, and that Lyndis was used to represent FE7 in Awakening when they could have just used all three since FE7's strength and role in FE history was having a heavily-contrasting lord trio. But I.S is a bunch of bucket heads.

Nah, it's only the people who say "Fire Emblem" and only mean Awakening and Fates that do this, anyone who is willing to at least acknowledge older titles and/or not Awakening-inize everything and maybe try more Fire Emblem when opportunities arise are A+ in my book.

they don't truly ruin the franchise until they act like it's the only game in the series.
The guy who thought marth should have been removed entirely for lucina made me really sad.
*PTSD flashbacks of multiple people saying Lucina should/will replace Marth*
*flashbacks of people saying Chrom and/or Lucina should or will replace Ike*
*flashbacks of people saying that Roy's moveset should have been given to Chrom*
*flashbacks of people saying Ike would be cut at all*
*flashbacks of people thinking Marth/Ike/Chrom would be our only FE representation*
*recent laser eye hotflashes of people saying Kamui is a better DLC choice than Roy despite already having Robin AND Lucina*

I love 50% of Awakening and hate the other 50%. It feels like a second-rate anime, with painfully glaring plotholes and a good amount of dialogue bits that make no sense which detract from it. There were many opportunities for better writing and actual plot twists, unlike the "twists" they tried to throw in and eventually gave up on. Minimal strategy elements and just a meh feel overall hurt it. I still see an incredible amount of potential with what it could have been, and wouldn't mind the game reworked at some point to become much better.

Awakening on the first half of my first playthrough left a much, much better impression than any following glances at the game. You might be where I was in that regard if you have yet to try the game. If you do get more of a taste for it, you may feel the same, where its brand of different isn't a progressive or great one.

I can't see the necessary changes to fix the series with what truly makes Fire Emblem while remaining able to gross so many sales and appeal to the same crowd happening, unfortunately. They are definitely possible, though, so I'll peek in every now and then.

Man, i can't believe that there are still ignorant Anti-Roy arguments out there. Im not gonna call out any names, but i have seen people saying baseless claims about him on a certain thread that im not going to say it's name to avoid trouble.

I don't know if i should say this, but i regret not joining SmashBoards sooner since i feel i could have helped the Roy support thread before he was confirmed.

If i return for Smash 5/6, i want to wipe out the floor with all those whiny anti-Roy liars and take all their waifus.

That's all i have to say, carry on with your Roy talk my friends.
I was on the same thread briefly. I don't have the energy and patience to bother more with it for a while though.

Don't worry about that. You're fighting the good fight now and that's all that matters. It's a better time to push for the last DLC characters and future amiibo and FE content anyways rather than bother with it. You were previously against Roy around that time before seeing ChronoBound's words, and you weren't on Smashboards near as much iirc, which is perfectly fine and makes it easily understandable that you weren't there. You don't have to be from the support thread to be a valuable social member. bluecrow's a cool dude who isn't from that time and I still have a lot of respect for him.

I'll admit to grinding out an army of gale force super children lol. I'm about half way through a run of Shadow Dragon, might try another game when I'm finished with that one, but I haven't picked which one yet.

As for Fates, the skinship thing weirds me out. I really liked pokemon-amie, in pokemon. But there's a pretty big difference between petting a pokemon and a person. Still gonna get it when it comes out for the US, though.
It's only uphill from Shadow Dragon. FE7 and The Sacred Stones are recommendations I have for your next game that are easily-accessible.

I used to do this a lot more than I do now, it's more about teambuilding and classes for me now but I still will insta-use any character who truly stands out to me.

dude I fully train thieves in games they don't promote, everybody picks favorites
oh and enjoy the 11 chapters of tutorials :secretkpop:
11... chapters...

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh

I loved 1v1'ing Murdock with Cath, Medeus with Julian, and making Sothe a general/laguz-destroying tank several times in PoR.

I always 1v1 Hardin with Feena, similar deal I suppose.

At least 7x and 10 are free reign, and Lyn's chapters can be sped through in less than an hour.

So I am picking up Roy as a secondary. Mainly because he was my childhood favorite and his fighting style is excelent. I think that Roy might be one of the most aggressive characters in the game. Also, attacking with a sword upside down just looks sick.

Any advice for me?
Learn what's safe in Roy's neutral, especially on shield and in footsies.

His punish game is good, use his falling uair/jab/fthrow/dthrow as universal combo starters, fair strings, maximize pummels, know when everything kills, and create sick strings based on DI/landing/reactions and such.

I would type more if I didn't have to go soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom