• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Roy Social - R O Y B O Y Z

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I feel bad. I always think those people who main like 900 characters leave themselves little to no room for improvement, that they don't take competitive play seriously at all, that they're in their really scrubby phase like when I was that way in 2014 with Project M and wanted to main a bunch of characters until I realized the problem with that, etc. Those people who post the entire roster and say "here's my mains."

I was on FG (wasn't in a good spot for anther's) and ran into this guy who occasionally flashed his tag as "NUBS=MAINS" or something like that and other plain rude stuff. I kept getting my *** handed to me by a different character every match (including by Roy when I played Ike game 1 and Roy for the rest) and just felt disappointed in myself and like I was disappointing to other Roy mains. I don't think I'm that good, but I don't think I should ever be that bad. Especially since I feel far from anyone who mains 1-3 characters, or at least should be. I feel like my neutral's too weak compared to other things I do, and I'm looking to fix that now and make it my strongest feature.

Oh well, tomorrow at work shouldn't be too bad since it's my Friday and I've always got room for improvement. It's just something that's been bugging me for a bit but I'm good now that it's just out.
Back when I got the 3ds ver. and thought I was good because I played on fg I had like 5 mains. I remember playing a lot of zss, tink, megaman, sometimes mac (because I liked punch out, I didn't know people thought he was op) and marth. But whenever I ran into someone who committed to just one char I kinda thought that way too, thinking they needed to only practice one char to win, ugh... I cringe looking back.

However I still think committing to just one char isn't a very good idea, I believe it's clearly best to have at least one secondary to cover bad MUs or in my case, I just like a lot of the cast and their playstyles. Honestly, I haven't even looked into how roy/marth cover tink's bad MUs too much yet, I just really like their playstyles, I haven't even played the either any of the games they're from yet, I'm on my way though. I should really look into MUs a bit more for all my chars, I don't know enough about them to make good char counter picks yet.

Back when I got the 3ds ver. and thought I was good because I played on fg I had like 5 mains. I remember playing a lot of zss, tink, megaman, sometimes mac (because I liked punch out, I didn't know people thought he was op) and marth. But whenever I ran into someone who committed to just one char I kinda thought that way too, thinking they needed to only practice one char to win, ugh... I cringe looking back.

However I still think committing to just one char isn't a very good idea, I believe it's clearly best to have at least one secondary to cover bad MUs or in my case, I just like a lot of the cast and their playstyles. Honestly, I haven't even looked into how roy/marth cover tink's bad MUs too much yet, I just really like their playstyles, I haven't even played the either any of the games they're from yet, I'm on my way though. I should really look into MUs a bit more for all my chars, I don't know enough about them to make good char counter picks yet.
Back when I played Ike/Roy I just counterpicked based on character, stage, and player once I felt them out a bit. It worked surprisingly well, I felt like I had the more efficient pick for each match 96% of the time.

I did something similar with other chars and Ike around 3DS release, then rotated around solo mains because I don't really like anyone's playstyle and character enough to stick with them for long periods of time except Roy's, and that's how it's always been in Smash.

In PM I used to think I was so good for playing Mario/Falcon/Fox/Falco/Sheik/Lucario/Ness/Marth/Roy/Snake at the same time. I would practice all of them equally and thought it was good because I could consistently L-cancel everything, use character-specific AT's, and beat my friends. After lack of improvement, screwing up char picks so hard in bracket matches, and general opinion on it, I really narrowed it down.

I don't really know what's right in Smash at all for mains, it's so foreign to me. I don't know if 1 or 3 or 19 or 22 or 50 or random button is better at this point. I gotta prove some things and I want to be known for certain things, which has always conflicted with it. Just gotta stick to my guns.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Back when I played Ike/Roy I just counterpicked based on character, stage, and player once I felt them out a bit. It worked surprisingly well, I felt like I had the more efficient pick for each match 96% of the time.

I did something similar with other chars and Ike around 3DS release, then rotated around solo mains because I don't really like anyone's playstyle and character enough to stick with them for long periods of time except Roy's, and that's how it's always been in Smash.

In PM I used to think I was so good for playing Mario/Falcon/Fox/Falco/Sheik/Lucario/Ness/Marth/Roy/Snake at the same time. I would practice all of them equally and thought it was good because I could consistently L-cancel everything, use character-specific AT's, and beat my friends. After lack of improvement, screwing up char picks so hard in bracket matches, and general opinion on it, I really narrowed it down.

I don't really know what's right in Smash at all for mains, it's so foreign to me. I don't know if 1 or 3 or 19 or 22 or 50 or random button is better at this point. I gotta prove some things and I want to be known for certain things, which has always conflicted with it. Just gotta stick to my guns.
What I did was play just 1 char (for me it was tink) until you feel you're really good at them, not mastered, but close. By that I don't mean you have to play like a god with them, I mean you can play the char really well, you may not necessarily have good fundamentals, just be able to play that certain char really well.

Once I felt I played tink really well (I think I do anyway, maybe I just have really good fundamentals or something) I searched for a secondary... for months. I kept on trying new chars, Fox, Palutena, Shulk, Faclcon, and many, many others. I always played a bit of Marth as a friendly char, I eventually chose him as a secondary because I always have fun playing him (only a couple weeks after Roy got leaked, then released and I like him a lot too so I chose to secondary him as well because of them being what I'd call semi-clones). Once I feel I'm really good at Marth/Roy I'm gonna possibly pick up charizard, Ike or Mac as another secondary because of just how much fun I've had playing them lately.

I don't think I explained this very well, so, tl;dr: play your main until know how to play them really well then start a hunt for a secondary who you like. You mentioned something about playing Ike, if he's already your secondary, cool, Ike's fun. Otherwise once you feel you've mastered Roy (if you haven't already) start a secondary hunt and maybe start it with Ike.

What I did was play just 1 char (for me it was tink) until you feel you're really good at them, not mastered, but close. By that I don't mean you have to play like a god with them, I mean you can play the char really well, you may not necessarily have good fundamentals, just be able to play that certain char really well.

Once I felt I played tink really well (I think I do anyway, maybe I just have really good fundamentals or something) I searched for a secondary... for months. I kept on trying new chars, Fox, Palutena, Shulk, Faclcon, and many, many others. I always played a bit of Marth as a friendly char, I eventually chose him as a secondary because I always have fun playing him (only a couple weeks after Roy got leaked, then released and I like him a lot too so I chose to secondary him as well because of them being what I'd call semi-clones). Once I feel I'm really good at Marth/Roy I'm gonna possibly pick up charizard, Ike or Mac as another secondary because of just how much fun I've had playing them lately.

I don't think I explained this very well, so, tl;dr: play your main until know how to play them really well then start a hunt for a secondary who you like. You mentioned something about playing Ike, if he's already your secondary, cool, Ike's fun. Otherwise once you feel you've mastered Roy (if you haven't already) start a secondary hunt and maybe start it with Ike.
I might stay solo Roy for the most part. I don't feel comfy with a serious secondary and never truly did, I just get really uncomfortable with it after a while. I feel like messing around with some others for no constructive purpose and to spice up friendlies, that's about it. I'll see how it goes.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I might stay solo Roy for the most part. I don't feel comfy with a serious secondary and never truly did, I just get really uncomfortable with it after a while. I feel like messing around with some others for no constructive purpose and to spice up friendlies, that's about it. I'll see how it goes.
I'm with you on that. I kinda just like playing 1 character more than the others. Before, it was Pit, now it's Roy. Sometimes I'll play Marth, Falcon, or Lucario, but I'm always struck by how...floaty they are lol (well, except Falcon). I guess multi-maining just works for some people, where solo-maining works better for others.

---

I've tried recreating this gif myself in training mode a few times, but I'm not able to get the explosive recoil that seems to happen here. I get some recoil, enough to gently push me off the edge, but not anywhere near the blastzone. Can someone tell me what conditions are needed to cause this?

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CQGKxlUWsAAulwR.mp4

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
I'm with you on that. I kinda just like playing 1 character more than the others. Before, it was Pit, now it's Roy. Sometimes I'll play Marth, Falcon, or Lucario, but I'm always struck by how...floaty they are lol (well, except Falcon). I guess multi-maining just works for some people, where solo-maining works better for others.

---

I've tried recreating this gif myself in training mode a few times, but I'm not able to get the explosive recoil that seems to happen here. I get some recoil, enough to gently push me off the edge, but not anywhere near the blastzone. Can someone tell me what conditions are needed to cause this?

Wow, that was weird...

---

I could not recreate this, with different shield timings or perfect shielding. Maybe it's an equipment deal? Rare bug? Previous patch deal that was fixed under the radar and never accounted for since shield breaks are rare? Hmmmm....

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I could not recreate this, with different shield timings or perfect shielding. Maybe it's an equipment deal? Rare bug? Previous patch deal that was fixed under the radar and never accounted for since shield breaks are rare? Hmmmm....
First time I saw a gfy of something similar to this, they mentioned it was in a customs match, so I wrote it off as potentially influenced by equipment. Back then I thought it required perfect shield, though (that's what happened in the first gfy). I might dig out some equipment to see if I can recreate it with that. Maybe defense equip on the opponent, or an equip with special attributes.

First time I saw a gfy of something similar to this, they mentioned it was in a customs match, so I wrote it off as potentially influenced by equipment. Back then I thought it required perfect shield, though (that's what happened in the first gfy). I might dig out some equipment to see if I can recreate it with that. Maybe defense equip on the opponent, or an equip with special attributes.
Try pure attack, pure speed, and mixed atk/spd equips on the Roy and 200 defense or close on Marth. Maybe negative defense on Marth too.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388

That is really weird. Perhaps equipment was involved but the whole scenario kinda reminds me of this glitch:

Particularly when the player gets blasted off into the blastzone.

What's going on with this game!? :eek: lol

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Try pure attack, pure speed, and mixed atk/spd equips on the Roy and 200 defense or close on Marth. Maybe negative defense on Marth too.
Looks like attack equipment on Roy seems to be the culprit. 200+ attack equipment causes the effect noticed in the gif at 0%.

EDIT: also, lol, causes 100 damage on hit :p

Last edited:
That is really weird. Perhaps equipment was involved but the whole scenario kinda reminds me of this glitch:

Particularly when the player gets blasted off into the blastzone.

What's going on with this game!? :eek: lol
Olimar got those strength growths every single level and mixed those Energy Drops into all his drinks during happy hour.

Looks like attack equipment on Roy seems to be the culprit. 200+ attack equipment causes the effect noticed in the gif at 0%.

EDIT: also, lol, causes 100 damage on hit :p
Crits are ridiculous, the most I ever got damage-wise on anything was 376 on Flare Blade...

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
just finished downloading the partch, gonna test Roy a bit, but I'm probably the worst to say anything, since I'm heavily prone to placebo lol.

EDIT: Things feel the same to me lol. Other characters were hit, though, like Weegee's dthrow. I'll wait for testers to do diligent testing for the patch thread.

Last edited:

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
just finished downloading the partch, gonna test Roy a bit, but I'm probably the worst to say anything, since I'm heavily prone to placebo lol.

EDIT: Things feel the same to me lol. Other characters were hit, though, like Weegee's dthrow. I'll wait for testers to do diligent testing for the patch thread.
Hm... Want to test some things like jab blazer out, if it still works.(110% maybe?)

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hm... Want to test some things like jab blazer out, if it still works.(110% maybe?)
If you want to test jab > blazer out, here is the recorded info from the previous patch that we have on it.

1. Jab (credit to Royvolution Ream, EternalFlame, Junior Z, Cortte, Blue Beast) - The sour spot tip is definitely unable to do jab combos reliably. Its a little less finicky at the middle of the blade, but the time and spacing to do it is even more limited. The sweet spot Jab is really the only reliable means to do most combos. Even then, the window to do it is small.
    1. Double Edge Blade (Sweet spot 40 - 80%, Sweet spot jump Double Edge Blade 2 65 - 110%)

2. FTilt (Sweet spot 35 - 60%)

3. DTilt (Sweet spot 20 - 55%)

4. grab (Sweet spot 0 - 15%, dash grab setup 16 - 80%)

5. Blazer (Sweet spot 70 - 140%)

6. Jab (Sweet spot 0 - 40%)

7. Dash Attack (0 - 80%) - tested on Marth

8. Fair / Dash Fair (80% - 145%) - potential kill combo over ~ 100%

9. Dash Blazer (0 - 140%) - Turns into a kill setup at ~ 115%

10. Dash Nair (70 - 120%)

11. Uair (70%)

Last edited:
This is soooooooooooooo fire lol:

This is nice to have in the background as well:

A lot of royalty-free music is incredible as well, hidden bosses for sure.

http://www.audiomicro.com/moody-stark-atmospheric-strange-night-royalty-free-stock-music-770230

Why is this relevant...?

I've been tinkering a lot with nice royalty free tracks on Roy clips. I just wanted to share these beast tracks so I had to make an excuse to not rack up points like smokebomb.

^The only one truly worth watching, the music's just a bonus.

my notes on royalty free music and ones worth checking out:
volcano trap gunner olsen

break you in by vibe tracks

hands way up gunner olsen

by the fire-ah 2 music filtered catalog music

tall ships audionautix

impromptu in blue kevin macleod

Enjoy the making of the marios! I'm just about to experience the patch myself (all the wave 4 DLC bought already) and I'm excited.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-engimatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/page-5#post-20218629

"Nothing on Roy or Ryu. A few meaningful changes on Samus, will come back to her."

---

This is soooooooooooooo fire lol:

This is nice to have in the background as well:

A lot of royalty-free music is incredible as well, hidden bosses for sure.

http://www.audiomicro.com/moody-stark-atmospheric-strange-night-royalty-free-stock-music-770230

Why is this relevant...?

I've been tinkering a lot with nice royalty free tracks on Roy clips. I just wanted to share these beast tracks so I had to make an excuse to not rack up points like smokebomb.

^The only one truly worth watching, the music's just a bonus.

my notes on royalty free music and ones worth checking out:
volcano trap gunner olsen

break you in by vibe tracks

hands way up gunner olsen

by the fire-ah 2 music filtered catalog music

tall ships audionautix

impromptu in blue kevin macleod

Enjoy the making of the marios! I'm just about to experience the patch myself (all the wave 4 DLC bought already) and I'm excited.
That music is good. ~

Especially liked the one on the first yt Roy clip lol.

Last edited:

Guineapig126

Smash Journeyman

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Have yet to find a change on Roy.
So it seems shield stun was increased in the latest patch. Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-engimatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/page-9#post-20220175

I'm not smurt enough to hypothesize exactly what this could mean for Roy (or Jigglypuff, for that matter *cries*) but maybe someone else here knows what's up?

Either way, I like this change. Even if it gives Sheik even more safe approaches, it opens up some opportunities for characters.
Ohoho... Nair got suddenly interestingly better, Side B was untouched, it could now lead into shieldbreaks if done correctly? Need to test many things...
Otherwise, I think Swordfighter should be a bit happy, range and shieldstun and multi hit attacks are nice in the coming up.
(Don't stone me, just what I though off! One may correct me if I am wrong.)

Edit: Calculated... Roy's f-smash would have 14 frames of Shieldstun. Nice.

Last edited:

D3xter

Smash Rookie
NNID
DDexter
Assuming I calculated correctly, Roy's sweetspot tilts have at least 9 frames of shieldstun now. Neat

Thaeto

Smash Rookie
NNID
Endy_Enderman
Hey guys, I'm just a new guy to the Roy social, but I'm looking for some help with how to optimally play the character and know his strengths and weaknesses. Any info will help quite a bit.

I also have a Skype and would love to know if there is indeed a Skype group for Roy discussion. If so, please inform me.

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
So it seems shield stun was increased in the latest patch. Source: http://smashboards.com/threads/magical-engimatic-land-1-1-1-patch-notes.419067/page-9#post-20220175

I'm not smurt enough to hypothesize exactly what this could mean for Roy (or Jigglypuff, for that matter *cries*) but maybe someone else here knows what's up?
means Roy is safer on shield one of his biggest weaknesses
Jab is probably safe on shield now was like -7 before (which is enough to be shield grabbed by faster characters and get hit by other OoS options), should be something like -1 now. That is if the numbers I received are correct.
Hey guys, I'm just a new guy to the Roy social, but I'm looking for some help with how to optimally play the character and know his strengths and weaknesses. Any info will help quite a bit.
new guy?
tumblr_m3krsyljri1qzefcpo1_540.png

skype is lame btw, it kills socials, but that's just me

I also have a Skype and would love to know if there is indeed a Skype group for Roy discussion. If so, please inform me.
Don't get hit. If you hit them, keep hitting them until you don't hit them anymore. The shieldstun additions in this patch should help this.

means Roy is safer on shield one of his biggest weaknesses
Jab is probably safe on shield now was like -7 before (which is enough to be shield grabbed by faster characters and get hit by other OoS options), should be something like -1 now. That is if the numbers I received are correct.

new guy?
View attachment 75870

skype is lame btw, it kills socials, but that's just me
Agreeeed. Skype's a lame mess, especially groups, and I like just logging into smashboards to catch up instead of the cluster:foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee::foxmelee: skype is.

So now we got increased shieldstun in this patch - did Roy get unintentionally better now?

I was already out there breaking shields with Roy, now someone is locked into the fourth downward flurry of DED on shield and there's just much safer options around shields in general.

Roy's ground mobility plus how safe his ground moves are on shield (especially sweetspotted) are gonna create a graveyard outta the cast.

I'm gonna find all the angry stuff Roy can do to shields.

This patch is sexy. I want to do a bunch of 2v2 Mario Maker friendlies once I have time (maybe tomorrow, depends how work goes and how I feel after since last week was pure understaffed hell)

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440

I keep track of things in the roy skype group, there's a thread for it if you'd like to post your contact info there, or add me (skype name EnGardevoir), and I'll add you. Please put "Roy Skype Group" or something similar in the contact request. I have a lot of contacts added, and it'll help me keep track of you.

Skype groups offer a level of camaraderie different than social threads, and while people often join them from smashboards, people also often join through word of mouth, so they are an interesting and unique sub-slice of the smash scene. They are also very good for burst communication during the active times (usually afternoon to evening my time, in the eastern US). Once they settle, they can support fun chat games, such as weekly online tournaments. ^_^ I'll admit, as someone who frequents a few character skype groups, I'm a bit biased. ~

---

Also, I can def feel the difference in shield thanks to the new patch. I've been stuck in shield a few times, but don't forget that we have shield di to escape from some of the shield break setups.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
This patch is sexy. I want to do a bunch of 2v2 Mario Maker friendlies once I have time (maybe tomorrow, depends how work goes and how I feel after since last week was pure understaffed hell)
I'm always down for some Mario Maker 2v2s! Just tag me tomorrow, or whenever you're free if you'd like to play.

As for this patch, well, I have mixed feelings but I'll wait for things to play out. I'm glad to hear about the indirect buffs for Roy, but like I said, I'm not sure about the overall balance. One thing's for certain, a lot of people didn't take some changes too well. "They didn't buff X character or nerfed Sheik!? I give up on Smash 4!!", "X character is ruined thanks to the increased shieldstun!!", "WHY DID THEY NERF MY MAIN!! GONNA SWITCH TO SOMEONE ELSE ASDFGHJKL :hulk::hulk::hulk:!!", and so on... "Bi-monthly ****fest" is so true...

Last edited:

Furret

Long Body Pokémon
I'm always down for some Mario Maker 2v2s! Just tag me tomorrow, or whenever you're free if you'd like to play.

As for this patch, well, I have mixed feelings but I'll wait for things to play out. I'm glad to hear about the indirect buffs for Roy, but like I said, I'm not sure about the overall balance. One thing's for certain, a lot of people didn't take some changes too well. "They didn't buff X character or nerfed Sheik!? I give up on Smash 4!!", "X character is ruined thanks to the increased shieldstun!!", "WHY DID THEY NERF MY MAIN!! GONNA SWITCH TO SOMEONE ELSE ASDFGHJKL :hulk::hulk::hulk:!!", and so on... "Bi-monthly ****fest" is so true...
really? I've just been running into people that are like, Shield stun increase? cool... what's that?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
really? I've just been running into people that are like, Shield stun increase? cool... what's that?
You don't visit the competitive discussion boards a lot, do you? We'll see what happens though. We might get a balance patch down the road with buffs/nerfs for certain characters, taking the global changes in mind.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Croph Croph I got a room up now

Anyone else who wants to join, please add my NNID and quote this post (2v2's, wanna play on mario maker most)
I'm sorry... I was doing homework all night which was due by 11 pm (we hand it in online), and I just finished at 10:50 lmao I was freaking out the whole time. Anyway, I'm free right now if you're still up for some games.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Thread is dead? Time to open up my fan art folder. ~

For some reason, I think pictures with Roy and Roy koopa are extremely cute. Same as how I like pictures wtih Lucina and Meta Knight. Cute cute cute. ~

0324f451be2cd386f929e00de2b4048c.jpg

1783b7482efee6ab1e8843873f63b4ee.jpg

Thread is dead? Time to open up my fan art folder. ~

For some reason, I think pictures with Roy and Roy koopa are extremely cute. Same as how I like pictures wtih Lucina and Meta Knight. Cute cute cute. ~

I like em even if my roy koopa grudge will never die

View attachment 76192 View attachment 76189 yall wanted fanart

well heres what i was able to rescue from my dank maymay folder
Roy needs to be DLC.

for that god-tier hamtaro game for the gba

Top Bottom