• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Proportionally, Other M Ridley is the one that fit best in a shrunken down state. Smaller wings, smaller tail, thicker neck and limbs... people might hate on Other M design but I feel his Super Metroid-esque design would look very scraggly and flimsy at a smaller size, with stick-thin body features.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't want to watch that video, I have a feeling I'm going to be needing three vomit buckets after watching it, especially when reading you guys comments on them.... :sick:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
But Creator, don't you remember how all of the babies are present in the Spin-off games?

TIME TRAVEL.

(no those games are just spinoffs, but I do see yours and Saturn's point there...)

It's just that Dry Bowser was confirmed to be a separate individual in a Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games, which is a similar case to Metal Mario who is now also considered to be his own separate individual as well.
Wouldn't you think that after this is confirmed, he would remain to be a separate person from Bowser?
(Thats where I stand my ground).
I don't really care about the whole argument but I do need to say something about this here. Whether or not something is declared as cannon to be a seperate entinty of something else, Smash doesn't care and doesn't follow the canon of other games. If anything Smash has it's own canon, meaning it can do whatever the hell it wants. I mean in SSE it showed Yoshi napping in a forest Link when to go get the master sword. So whether or not Dry Bowser is a seperate entinty canon wise he could be considered the same as Bowser in Smash's canon. Just thought I would point that out.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
It's better than alot of topics that could be brought up, that's for sure. As for designs, in contrast to what many people say...I'm actually looking forward to seeing Ridley's Other M design.

While some will call it ugly, it doesn't look that bad to me. It's far from the worst design of Ridley there's been, and the new body style would make for a much more fair fighter, especially since Other M Ridley is the most battle-worthy Ridley to date, showing the most difference in fighting style, having a fair mixture of fighting in the air and on the ground. Not to mention his tail is shorter, which cuts down the whiners saying it gives him too much range in his attacks. I imagine his fighter stance to be basically as it is in the picture shown above.
I agree. I can't wait to see Mewtwo and hopefully Bowser Jr. I think they'll look great. As for veterans, what do you all think? I can't wait to see the Mario and Zelda cast get a revamped look. We've already seen Mario, Link, and Bowser. Imagine how good Zelda, Sheik, Peach, Luigi, and Ganondorf will look. And if Toon Link comes back, he'll probably look like he does in WW HD, which would be so sweet! Anyone else?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I agree with the Other M assessment, especially after looking at his DoA appearance which cleans up some of the quirks the Other M model had:

As for others, Zelda I could see going back to blond and maybe drawing cues from SS like Link, Ganondorf, maybe use his OoT or TP design as a base and just work from there drawing a bit from Demise.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah I have a feeling that Toon Link would look great in Smash Bros Wii U's new art style if he comes back. Peach would probably still wear her dress from Brawl but much more brighter and prettier looking. I'm most interested to see how Ganondorf will look in the new art style.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Personally I am hoping Ganondorf will go back to OoT look. I think it is because of his TP design that he was slowed down compared to his Melee version, due to TP version basically being an old man compared to how he looks in OoT. :/

Hotfeet444

Smash Master
NNID
FeliciaFan
3DS FC
1590-5624-2529
I agree. I can't wait to see Mewtwo and hopefully Bowser Jr. I think they'll look great. As for veterans, what do you all think? I can't wait to see the Mario and Zelda cast get a revamped look. We've already seen Mario, Link, and Bowser. Imagine how good Zelda, Sheik, Peach, Luigi, and Ganondorf will look. And if Toon Link comes back, he'll probably look like he does in WW HD, which would be so sweet! Anyone else?
I'd personally want Zelda to look like she does in SS of all things, it's my favorite design of Zelda by far and is absolutely adorable. But I'm interested if they're willing to bring back OoT Ganondorf thanks to the fact that they're taking OoT3D into consideration and it is the most recent design of Ganondorf. I mean, is it just me, or is Ganondorf's OoT3D in the same style as his artwork from Brawl?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Personally I am hoping Ganondorf will go back to OoT look. I think it is because of his TP design that he was slowed down compared to his Melee version, due to TP version basically being an old man compared to how he looks in OoT. :/
As much as I love Old Man-ondorf, I agree about going back to OoT. At this point it would just seem really awkward for him to be agile with that design. I suppose because of OoT3D it makes sense for him to go back to that design.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I'd personally want Zelda to look like she does in SS of all things, it's my favorite design of Zelda by far and is absolutely adorable. But I'm interested if they're willing to bring back OoT Ganondorf thanks to the fact that they're taking OoT3D into consideration and it is the most recent design of Ganondorf. I mean, is it just me, or is Ganondorf's OoT3D in the same style as his artwork from Brawl?

They could be. I would say he will look like the picture above, just darker and a bit heavier-looking, if you know what I mean. I feel like they'll do that for Ganondorf. As for Zelda, I think she'll just get a makeover like Link. Generally the same, just brighter. Maybe they'll have her blonde hair, or maybe just a light brown would be fine. As long as the Zelda cast looks awesome, though, I couldn't care less.

And, IMO I don't really like the SS Zelda. When I think of Princess Zelda I think of someone regal and mature, like TP and OoT. A mix between those would be my best bet. But hey, it's all friendly opinion.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I have a new (hilarious) topic.

GamesRadar predicts that these characters would be cut.

DISAGREEING:
Marth
Pokemon Trainer
Lucas
ROB

Not Agreeing, but could be de-prioritized:
Lucario
Ike

AGREEING
Toon Link (Not like I have anything against him, especially if a new Clone Link will most likely take his place anyway...)

OTHER:
Snake (I really don't know. I don't see Sakurai wanting to keep Sonic and not Snake, since he has sort of hinted his dislike of Sonic through Brawl.. If Sonic comes back, then Japan-pride-mode-ON Sakurai will take over and he will include Snake as well. And we all know Sonic is coming back. :p SEGA is really needy.

-- Speaking of Zelda designs:

Link: Well, what we got in the trailers.
Zelda: Skyward Sword would be nice
Sheik: Brawl style was good.
Ganondorf: OoT
Kid Link: ... if we HAVE to have another Link... then Classic Link would be my pick. But honestly, I hope we don't get another Link. Just make the default one work so we don't need two. :V

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings

Bullcrap on this, Dark Pit isn't just another color variation of Pit - he's an entirely separate character within different movesets and characteristics. Go read Dark Pit's discussion guide.
That doesn't matter because he's still just black Pit. He may have different items, but that doesn't change that he can easily please fans by being a costume. No character should be separate if their appearance only differs in color.

So instead of allowing Zelda to evolve into something of her own with Impa, a more recent character with the potential of uniqueness and desirability
Who told you Sheik was undesired and not unique? Your Calendar?

I understand that Sheik may have a chance with the recent OoT reboot on the 3DS
That's not why Sheik has a bigger chance than Impa :ohwell:

but to keep the Zelda series from advancing to its next stage (Skyward Sword)
Are you saying this is the new design for the eternity of the series' future.

and keep ourselves stuck in the past (OoT), is wrong on many levels.
So we should forget about Nintendo's past and pretend it never existed or had any impact or fans because why??? By your logic we need to remove C. Falcon, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., Takamaru,and Issac. How do you think they got in the game in the first place. Because they're old school? :facepalm:

Geno has a huge fanbase that wants to play as him, regardless of relevancy. Just like all the characters you removed for being "irrelevant". By your logic it doesn't matter how much people like a character or want to play as them and it doesn't matter what impact they had on Nintendo's history as all-stars. We can't keep ourselves stuck in the past, remember? It's wrong on soooo many levels.

You can't say the same for Ness or Lucas.
That's funny because I can. FYI EarthBound's fanbase is ENOURMOUS and way bigger than Geno OR Super Mario RPG. Where do you get this? Saying the truth hurts doesn't work unless you have something good to back it up. It doesn't work unless it's true, which in this case it is not.

I like Ike, but so far a pattern suggests Fire Emblem gets both Marth and another character who had a game recently.
That doesn't mean removing Ike. Why don't you just remove Marth? He wasn't technically in Awakening.

obviously a transitional character like Ike will get the cut.
I already said why he's not getting cut.

Fire Emblem can debut out of nowhere with TWO new characters
Out of nowhere? Fire Emblem has had several titles on the Famicom (NES) and Super Famicom (SNES). How is that out of nowhere?

What sort of rules make it illegal to only have one Golden Sun character.
I don't believe I said anything about Golden Sun having 2 reps. You shouldn't have Matthew & Issac because they'd be the same thing. It makes no sense to have both. If you want a second Golden Sun rep ass Karis, but Golden Sun characters aren't really popular enough to be in SSB.

The Mii is an obvious choice to join the roster, whether you like it or not.
But, I support Mii.

so might as well have the mother of all customization in the Mii. It's the mascot of Nintendo.
:mario64:

Ganondorf can stay as himself because OoT 3DS is fairly recent, giving him relevance.
Yes, Ganondorf wasn't added because he's the main antagonist of the entire franchise. He was added because of recency. :psycho:

to **** over Impa in favor of the outdated ****** Sheik makes NO SENSE.
Sheik is a very popular and beloved character. Zelda would be able to transform into herself instead of someone completely different. Makes sense to me. Was Sheik erased from history or something?

Comparing Fire Emblem's impact to Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Icarus, etc. is RIDICULOUS. Irrelevant series with little to no impact

Fire Emblem has no impact? :rolleyes:

They were only in the game in the first place to promote a recent WTF Japanese title.
Fire Emblem's been around since NES. Do you consider 28 years ago RECENT? And why is Fire Emblem a WTF franchise?

Now they've stayed because of their popularity in Smash
you mean like: :sheik: :ness2: :lucas: :jigglypuff:?

Also do you have a source saying these are the reasons characters are added and removed? Because after reading this I don't think you know how smash works at all.

So let's review

• Fire Emblem is a WTF franchise that is not popular and had no impact on ANYBODY
  • Any character that didn't appear in a game before 2009 is undesirable and needs to be removed. We need to move on and pretend they never existed. Unless it's Geno for some reason.
  • Nobody likes or cares about EarthBound and it has no fanbase.
Does anybody want to take it from here? Or am I too late to ask that?

CalumG

Smash Lord
DISAGREEING:

Snake (I really don't know. I don't see Sakurai wanting to keep Sonic and not Snake, since he has sort of hinted his dislike of Sonic through Brawl.. If Sonic comes back, then Japan-pride-mode-ON Sakurai will take over and he will include Snake as well. And we all know Sonic is coming back. :p SEGA is really needy
Where was it hinted in Brawl that Sakurai disliked Sonic?

mimgrim

Smash Hero
They could be. I would say he will look like the picture above, just darker and a bit heavier-looking, if you know what I mean. I feel like they'll do that for Ganondorf. As for Zelda, I think she'll just get a makeover like Link. Generally the same, just brighter. Maybe they'll have her blonde hair, or maybe just a light brown would be fine. As long as the Zelda cast looks awesome, though, I couldn't care less.

And, IMO I don't really like the SS Zelda. When I think of Princess Zelda I think of someone regal and mature, like TP and OoT. A mix between those would be my best bet. But hey, it's all friendly opinion.
Please not heavier looking. ;-; I want him to have his speed from Melee back. ;-;

TheLastJinjo

Banned via Warnings
I'd like to start a new topic:

If we have Pikachu, JigglyPuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo this means all of our Pokemon are veterans. (even though Mewtwo has his new form he is still Mewtwo.) I don't see that very likely at all. How should we fix this? There needs to be at least one Pokemon that hasn't been in Smash in some way or form

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Where was it hinted in Brawl that Sakurai disliked Sonic?

Many places.

There's a youtube video about it, but off the top of my head:

-Snake's codec: Snake says how he just doesn't like Sonic, despite Otakon saying how EVERYBODY does. (Fans vs Sakurai?)
-There's an event match where you have to get rid of 3 Sonics as Sonic, and the title was something like: "4 Sonics, could anything be worse?"
-The VERY brief scene in the SSE. (Granted, we could say this was due to time constraints)

It just feels like Sakurai had to give in to peer pressure and include Sonic.
Also...

-Sonic announced the day they pushed back Brawl's release date for the first time.

Could work both ways. People hating Sonic more because of this, or people not minding the delay now that Sonic was in.

-Sonic's terrible abilities in Brawl. (Again, could be blamed on the time constraints).

Reznor

work in progress

If we have Pikachu, JigglyPuff, Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, and Mewtwo this means all of our Pokemon are veterans. (even though Mewtwo has his new form he is still Mewtwo.) I don't see that very likely at all. How should we fix this? There needs to be at least one Pokemon that hasn't been in Smash in some way or form
Johto Trainer :smirk:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

In all honesty, Zoroark.

Reznor

work in progress
In all honesty, Zoroark.
we aren't getting a 5th gen rep Smash will skip it like they skipped 3rd gen

if Zoroark was going to get in he would replace Lucario the problem with this is Lucario is way more popular

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
How about an ACTUAL villain for Pokemon? :o
Mewtwo can hardly be considered a villain now, since he's seen fighting with the good guys in the new movie.

So we have:
-Team Rocket: Jesse & James (as Trainer?)
-Meowth (by himself, or backed by Team Rocket)
-Giovanni (too much of a specific character)
-Team Rocket Grunt (using Koffing, Ekans, and Meowth) or by himself.
-Blue/Gary Oak (Using Eevee-lutions)
-N (To represent Gen 5 which is kinda big)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Many places.

-Snake's codec: Snake says how he just doesn't like Sonic, despite Otakon saying how EVERYBODY does. (Fans vs Sakurai?)
-There's an event match where you have to get rid of 3 Sonics as Sonic, and the title was something like: "4 Sonics, could anything be worse?"
-The VERY brief scene in the SSE. (Granted, we could say this was due to time constraints)

Also...

-Sonic announced the day they pushed back Brawl's release date for the first time.

Could work both ways. People hating Sonic more because of this, or people not minding the delay now that Sonic was in.

-Sonic's terrible abilities in Brawl. (Again, could be blamed on the time constraints).
First one is an inside joke among the Japanese. Snake in the Japan version is voiced by the personon who voices Eggman. Get the inside joke now?
Second one, isn't there a simmilar thing with Dedede? So Sakurai dislikes his own characters? o.o
Last one, you said it, time constraints.

Sonic was the most popular character wanted so it is kinda understandable due to this. Plus Sonic was also planned for Melee I believe to, at least according to did you know gaming.

Sonic actually isn't that bad of character, and is actually very scary when in the right hands. A few people in my area main Sonic and are very good with him and are very scary when they use Sonic. lol

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Probably his un-inspiring moveset.
Pretty sure that had something to do with late inclusion :ohwell:
Many places.

Also...

I thought it was just rivalry amongst the third parties, and I believe the caption was something like: "C'mon guys, isn't one Sonic enough?" I don't think Sakurai necessarily disliked him seeing as he saw him as the most requested character in Brawl, and must've seen the logic behind it.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I wanna get 2 Pokemon Trainers, with the male Trainer having a redesign to fits gens 1-3 and having a pokemon from each gen, like Charizard, Grovyle, and Totodile. And a female Trainer design based off of gens 4-6 with a pokemon from each gen, like Infernape, Dewot, and Chespin.

Reznor

work in progress
Alright, and who exactly said it will happen?
i'm just talking out my ass right there :awesome:

How about an ACTUAL villain for Pokemon? :o
Mewtwo can hardly be considered a villain now, since he's seen fighting with the good guys in the new movie.

So we have:
-Team Rocket: Jesse & James (as Trainer?)
-Meowth (by himself, or backed by Team Rocket)
-Giovanni (too much of a specific character)
-Team Rocket Grunt (using Koffing, Ekans, and Meowth) or by himself.
-Blue/Gary Oak (Using Eevee-lutions)
-N (To represent Gen 5 which is kinda big)

-I would rather not have anime only characters in Smash its a crossover for video games
-Meowth would be awesome
-what would his pokemon be?
-this would be my main forever :love:
-would be awesome but maybe we could use the gen 2 rival instead (almost all the pokemon in smash are from gen 1 lets mix it up)
-N kinda sucks but this is just an opinion

Reznor

work in progress
Those 2 were actually in Pokemon Yellow.... So, they aren't anime only. lol
but they were created in the anime and put into a game trying to be like the anime so they are anime characters that happen to be in a game as a cameo

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Untitled-1.png

Jeez. Talk about arrogance.

Marth was the first FE hero and he's been in the most games, and is more recognizable, so seriously, why?

"This is about Nintendo All-Stars, not always about 'Nintendo's Latest Hits'." - Noah.

----

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422

Yeah, I can't see Mewtwo being a bad guy anymore either, but mainly after seeing this.

To address the question earlier though I would be perfectly satisfied with the Brawl line up for Pokemon + Mewtwo along with the Awakened Forme as Mewtwo's Final Smash.

Reznor

work in progress
They were still in a game and are thus not anime only.
so some one like (the one who will not be named) is as much a anime character as he is a video game character?

they are still anime character a cameo in one game doesn't change that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom