• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Roster Prediction Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Whoa-whoa-whoa, let's not go calling anything gay here. That's entering the realm of ignorance, my friend. Awesome is subjective, and I don't think it's quite fair for you to dismiss PSI as just bleh when you've likely never played an Earthbound game yourself. I've beaten both Super Mario RPG and Earthbound. Would you care to explain what makes Ness' powers "gay" where Geno's aren't?
Admittedly, I never played an Earthbound game (what's this "Mother"?) or Super Mario RPG, so I'm basing my opinions on either Smash, or videos on YouTube. That said, I don't feel empowered playing as Ness, while i would with Geno. And what, is saying the word "gay" banned? I'm will never go out of my way to call someone here that personally, I'm just using the term the same way one says "lame". And I'll take a point not to mess with Earthbound then. I don't want to cause trouble. :ohwell:

D

Deleted member

It's Year of Luigi. Clearly, Mario is going to be scrapped and Luigi will be in spotlight.

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
Admittedly, I never played an Earthbound game (what's this "Mother"?) or Super Mario RPG, so I'm basing my opinions on either Smash, or videos on YouTube. That said, I don't feel empowered playing as Ness, while i would with Geno. And what, is saying the word "gay" banned? I'm will never go out of my way to call someone here that personally, I'm just using the term the same way one says "lame". And I'll take a point not to mess with Earthbound then. I don't want to cause trouble. :ohwell:
Mother is the Japanese name for the Earthbound franchise. In Japan, Earthbound is known as Mother 2. Mother 1&3 were only released in Japan, which is one of the reasons why the series is generally referred to as "Mother".

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So, you would rather play as a child with a yo-yo, basball cap and bat, and some gay "PSI" powers, rather than an awesome alien from outer space with the powers of star magic. Okay... your problem then. :ohwell:
You are right... I like an awesome alien from outer space with star magic... that's why Kirby is in Smash and Geno is not. Geno is not an alien from outer space... Geno is a wooden puppet.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Just commenting, not necessarily replying to TheDevineDeity.

I used to prefer The I.T. Crowd (british version) over TBBT, but the latter has gotten pretty good lately, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's ingenious and funny, the way the contrasting personalities of the characters work, and how each side learns from the other. And basically, the premise itself about a couple of geeky nerds relating in a world where common people look at them like weirdos. It's definitely not a premise that a lot of people can relate to, so I'm sure that's one of the show's weaknesses.

I look forward to watching every episode, though I'm not exactly "part of" the fanbase.
It's not like there's MUCH better comedy out there, recently, anyway.
I rarely watch TV, and when I'm not watching Nick's TMNT, The Simpsons, Futurama, or the 2000th rerun of Friends, I'm watching TBBT and loving it.

But to each his own I guess.

I like Earthbound as well. I used to think it wasn't all that hot, until I played a marathon of all 3 games one after the other. One of the best gaming experiences of my life. I don't think I want to repeat it just so that special feeling doesn't go away. (....and not like I have a lot of time for RPGs lately. Pokemon will always be the exception).

-

I was reading the Iwata Asks segment of Punch Out the other day... Found out about several vintage Nintendo games I hadn't even heard about...

First ever Nintendo videogame... and it's about horse racing.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Sorry, I decided to take the rest of yesterday off so I wouldn't explode of frustration.

So here take this:
He falls in the lava at the end of the battle in the first half in the game. Same in NSMB2. Where is the proof that he's a different person?
So? Bowser has fallen in lava countless times before without becoming Dry Bowser before and after NSMB, we didn't see Bowser's skin melt off in either games, so it's not completely safe to assume that he's became him in both of those games.
Where is the proof that he's a different person?
Every single game that let Bowser and Dry Bowser be playable at the same time.
You can't assume he's a different person either.

I believe it's safe to assume something that's been proven in previous games can be applied to future games in most cases.
(1) Again, because it serves no purpose, it's pointless and a waste of time. Of course it's different, but it's not different enough for Sakurai to even bother implementing it. (2) Do you not understand the stupidity of a Character transforming into HIMSELF? If he reached this form after a certain amount of time THAT would make sense, but not switching back in fourth through them. (3)The point is that you say he still does everything Mewtwo does! So it doesn't matter which one you are, so you might as well close your eyes and pick one. (4)Sakurai does not have characters transform into a clones of themselves. That's enough to go on when I say it's almost certainly not gonna change this time. (5) It doesn't matter what you all think would be cool, it matters what Sakurai thinks is worth implementing and having present alongside others.
1 - It serves no purpose? Have you even played as Fox and Falco in Melee, or even Link and Toon Link in Brawl? The differences in weight, damage output, mobility, and speed are very large. Even to even make them their own separate characters (Which, you know, they are). Also, what gives you the right to deem it "Not enough"?
2 - You're suggesting that a character that transforms into his / herself is "stupid", so I guess that means Zelda's transformation ability is "stupid" too then.
3 - Well mostly yes, the idea is that her stats change, so the majority of her moveset would be the same for obvious reasons, except for attacks the involve Mewtwo's tail though... Since her awakened form doesn't have a tail.
4 - As of now, no. No character (except Zelda) transforms into themselves. However the entire point about adding in unique playstyles is to add something no other character can do, so that really means nothing.
5 - Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know you knew what Sakurai considers what is "worth" adding.
This Mewtwo swapping between each other would have been a good idea for Melee, but this isn't Melee. If Mewtwo and Newtwo have different enough abilities, that will make it likely. But so far none have been confirmed.
What makes it different from it being added now?
The point is people just want both looks, they think that no matter how pointless there ideas are, the look alone is what makes that idea not pointless. Because they'll get what they want. Whatever it takes to to make both forms available no matter how bias.
Exactly and doing this doesn't force you to play as the Mewtwo you don't want to play as while successfully advertising Generation 6 and we get a new unique playstyle in too.

I don't see why you say it can't be possible.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
I think the Geno fanbase, only because of their pre-Brawl days attacks about how you were a complete idiot if you were against him.

Reznor

work in progress
Just commenting, not necessarily replying to TheDevineDeity.

I used to prefer The I.T. Crowd (british version) over TBBT, but the latter has gotten pretty good lately, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's ingenious and funny, the way the contrasting personalities of the characters work, and how each side learns from the other. And basically, the premise itself about a couple of geeky nerds relating in a world where common people look at them like weirdos. It's definitely not a premise that a lot of people can relate to, so I'm sure that's one of the show's weaknesses.

I look forward to watching every episode, though I'm not exactly "part of" the fanbase.
It's not like there's MUCH better comedy out there, recently, anyway.
I rarely watch TV, and when I'm not watching Nick's TMNT, The Simpsons, Futurama, or the 2000th rerun of Friends, I'm watching TBBT and loving it.

But to each his own I guess.
I don't understand how its funny the first joke I've seen in the show was "i'm playing an emulator" and thats it that was the whole joke what is funny about an emulator

the biggest reason why some people hate it is because BBT don't know anything about comics and very little about games and because
also BBT is the reason we got all these fake geeks that are ruining comics

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I was reading the Iwata Asks segment of Punch Out the other day... Found out about several vintage Nintendo games I hadn't even heard about...

First ever Nintendo videogame... and it's about horse racing.
Screw Sheriff... EVR Race Jockey for Smash! :awesome: He totally deserves to get in Smash just for being the first ever Nintendo character! :troll:

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Mother is the Japanese name of the Earthbound series. To be basing an opinion like that based on observations rather than first-hand experience seems rather unfair. Gay isn't banned, but it's certainly a lot more respectful to simply say "lame" rather than treating a sexual orientation as a derogative. Personal taste, really. I was about to compare you to the new Noah-tiered user here, but you have keen timing to know when arguments are more destructive than productive, which I really appreciate. So thank you. I'm not looking for a fight myself, I just found it hard to stand by while hearing Earthbound being discredited that way.

You seem alright. Welcome to the forums.

TheCreator

Smash Lord
Geno is dumb. In general, and to think he'd be in smash is even dumber.
The word 'gay' is not banned. But saying it is pretty impolite. It's used socially really often, i even say it when with friends, but I have stopped for the most part, never realized how rude it was. It's like....saying "man that's asian as ****" and it being synonymous with lame or bad. Ikr, who started that and how'd it catch on so well? Crazy ass people.
Also @ AEM.....sorry dude, but I'm with Noah here. Like I think it's pretty safe to assume that Bowser and Dry Bowser are the same person...like....his name is bowser with an adjective in front. And in mario generally that adjective means skeleton. Why on earth would you just ASSUME they were different? Also the only real point you made for it, was that they are playable in the same game....baby mario.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Never had much love for Geno. I can appreciate people wanting him in Smash, but I think people who genuinely argue about his likelihood or how much he "deserves" it are, in many ways, selfish - Mario is such a wide, all-encompassing franchise, and including a character like that (who frankly, less than 1 in 100 Mario players will know about) seems like an injustice to the series as well as a middle finger to people who want a more recognizable, relatable Mario character. If Smash gets more obscure characters, let them be from obscure franchises. The beauty of the current Mario line-up in Smash is that it's pretty much impossible not to recognize who each of them are.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Love Geno clearly...but hey I'm an oldie and I actually LOVED mario rpg and have always thought Geno and Mallow should have remained staple mario characters. Dropping them was really one of the first times such main heros got dropped from mario completely and it was unexpected for them to never return imo.

As for smash, its a pipe dream. I was SHOCKED he had such a fan base I actually believed he was possible for Brawl. For Smash 4... I'm not holding my breathe at all on this one BUT it is possible sakurai heard the huge fan outcry last time and decided to sneak Geno in, If so I'm beyond pleased but again I'm not expecting it and the "why geno!? just no he's not important!" reactions I'm hearing THIS time around are much more what I assumed would have always been the reaction from the general public but for whatever reason he had a real fan base and thus a strong chance last time... though now i dont weigh my likely predictions on fan want but rather whatever sakurai wants cause he's selfish about the roster like that and again if HE heard the fan outcry LAST time and decided to put it on his list of Smash 4 stuff then MAYBE but I doubt it.

CalumG

Smash Lord
Love Geno clearly...but hey I'm an oldie and I actually LOVED mario rpg and have always thought Geno and Mallow should have remained staple mario characters. Dropping them was really one of the first times such main heros got dropped from mario completely and it was unexpected for them to never return imo.

As for smash, its a pipe dream. I was SHOCKED he had such a fan base I actually believed he was possible for Brawl. For Smash 4... I'm not holding my breathe at all on this one BUT it is possible sakurai heard the huge fan outcry last time and decided to sneak Geno in, If so I'm beyond pleased but again I'm not expecting it and the "why geno!? just no he's not important!" reactions I'm hearing THIS time around are much more what I assumed would have always been the reaction from the general public but for whatever reason he had a real fan base and thus a strong chance last time... though now i dont weigh my likely predictions on fan want but rather whatever sakurai wants cause he's selfish about the roster like that and again if HE heard the fan outcry LAST time and decided to put it on his list of Smash 4 stuff then MAYBE but I doubt it.
> Sakurai
> Whatever Sakurai wants cause he's selfish

Uhh... mind explaining that?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So, you would rather play as a child with a yo-yo, basball cap and bat, and some gay "PSI" powers, rather than an awesome alien from outer space with the powers of star magic. Okay... your problem then. :ohwell:
Bleh, there is so much wrong with this post, it's not even funny. :glare:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Worst fanbase of all time? Game of Thrones. People treat it like Jesus Himself arose from God's own creation. "Oh, Sean Bean this, dragons that, undeserving ******* winning awards only because of liberal Hollywood schemes this and that. Nothing more than a D-list show with subpar acting, too many characters and plots to follow, boringness in general, good guys always dying and bad guys always winning, etc. etc. etc.
You know it's originally a book series, right? And a pretty good one. As well, GoT may be ovverrated but Peter Dinklage (your so called "undeserving ****** winning awards), is a very successful and critically accalaimed actor, even before GoT. I can look over those previous remarks but calling Peter Dinklage undeserving just goes to show you are ignorant.

I'd also like to comment that using "gay" in a negative context is incorrect and, quite frankly, offensive. The same goes for any word that can be attributed to certain group of people/race/orientation/disability/etc.

And before you cry that I subscribe to the liberal agenda, I don't. It's my personal viewpoint and something that is detrimental to society.

Also, don't triple double quadruple postZ

And sorry about getting off track.

zauberdragon

Smash Journeyman
I've just made the huge mistake of watching youtube roster predictions for the last half an hour. As if that wasn't bad enough I ended up watching a 'Ridley is too big' video. Anyone fancy some serious Smash discussion to calm me down?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That reminds me.

One fan base I hate ..... Well, it's less if a franchise and more of a character fan base.

Those...those...Ridley supporters are a bunch of idiots. Seriously, Ridley? That group is just waaaaaaaaaay too big.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Excuse me? You were lucky I was sleeping otherwise I would have gone total sass machine. Its fine if you don't like Earthbound, that's fine. But something that you and all newbies on here need to learn is respect. You're basically criticizing one of Nintendo's first franchises in favor for something obscure and obsolete. Its fine if you support or if you are against certain characters, but show Earthbound and its fans and everyone on here respect. Rule #1: Don't force your opinion on others, you don't want to be hated on here, like Noah.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Saying gay as in stupid is ridiculous. No its not "banned", but using a word to criticize something when its just a word that defines who someone really is is totally offensive to anyone LGBT or pro-equal rights. Not trying to get off topic here, but plainly I suggest you think before you type.

I'm sorry guys if we moved on from the topic, I saw that post and I needed to put my two cents in. So what's the topic right now?

CalumG

Smash Lord
nabbit's just too perfect

that mario reveal was really just one of nabbit's costumes; yes, nabbit uses fludd now
"Nabbit's character gimmick is that he can't take damage - however, that's balanced out by him being unable to use items."

Sakurai: *laughs*

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I'm not a brony myself, but I myself am fine with the show and the concept of a brony. It's the type of brony, which can be any fanbase really, that decides to be a Jehovah's Witness and shove it down others throats wherever they go. I have a few friends that are bronies and they can be pretty cool. They let their fandom be a passive thing, which is good. It's just the ones that are very verbal and in-your-face about it that make the rest of the bronies look bad, really. Same goes for all other fandoms, furry or not.
Yes yes I know all this. But still the difference between them still is that I have met very few other fans of other shows that are just as bad as some of the bronies I met, I'm not even saying all of them are like that just some but I unfourtantly have met quite allot of them (mostly when I was in the YGO community) that are like what I said and if you meet enough of them... Well they can make you hate anything. lol Let me revise my first sentence in this reply actually, there is one other fanbase of a show that I have met that are just has bad as most of the bronies I have met, WWE fans. They try to pull the same **** on me as bronies did, the ones I have met anyway. Bit of advice, stay away from the YGO community. xDDDDDD

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Nothing much. The thread has been eerily quiet. You see, Noah isn't back yet. :p
On the brief subject of Noah, who has him on ignore and who doesn't? I'd just like to know if the people that even respond to him are in minority or majority right now.

Having him on ignore has lowered my blood pressure, I think.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
On the brief subject of Noah, who has him on ignore and who doesn't? I'd just like to know if the people that even respond to him are in minority or majority right now.

Having him on ignore has lowered my blood pressure, I think.
I had put him on ignore for a while, but then the thread became too confusing. So I unblocked him.

Lucky for me, I'm usually asleep when all the drama takes place here. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom