• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to WHOBO! (updated on 4-19-2013)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Xyro, it wasn't directed at you.
If you had such an influence Sanj, then I'd have expected you to have a plan for cases like this. Still on you. Sloppy. :applejack:

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Key word, HAD! If it was two years ago, hell, even if it was back in 2007 when I was actively TOing, you might have had a case of me being sloppy. However, even then I did not have a sphere of influence that stretched beyond what you think I did. I was laughed out of SRK because I "insulted their community leader", and back then I had a Boris Johnson syndrome when it came to Smash. Now you tell me, with an average attendance of each of my tournaments of 25, would my influence have carried in the DFW community knowing all that?

Let's also consider another thing. Denti offered little to no communication to me until I confronted him about it. He was going to, and I am jumping to conclusions here, hang this circuit out to dry until I did something. I still have the Facebook conversation that will prove it. Will I publish it? Out of his privacy, I won't do it. Should I have paid attention earlier when this whole mess started and planned accordingly? You have a fair point. To take it as far to say that I should have had a backup plan in place when the circuit was announced is a bit uncalled for.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I think it's pretty called for.
And honestly, is there really any objection anyone has that isn't named G&W to the circuit being cancelled in favor of a "Road to WHOBO" series?

No.

:applejack:

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Then please explain, Oh Wise One, why Denti was so involved in the circuit and had everything in hand until he up and retired as of 8:30pm 3/15/2013? So far, it seems that you have yet to explain your need to blame me for Denti's lack of communication when all I have done is try to step up to the plate.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Espy quit trollin ya skrubbo

Sanji obviously had no need to have a back up plan of hosting a tourney for a circuit he was 0 part of.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I think that I have nothing further to say to you, espy. The record is pretty clear on this matter:

Exhibit A: When the circuit was founded, I was not involved in the discussions as to how the organization of the circuit was being handled.

Exhibit B: Denti was handling both of the Dallas events on the circuit.

Exhibit C: When Denti started having his personal problems, and retired as a result, he did call Xyro, but he absolutely refused to talk to the rest of the DFW TOs in the process.

Exhibit D: I found out about his decision to retire at about 8:30pm Friday. Still have the Facebook logs to prove it.

Exhibit E: After my initial conversation with Denti, I called Xyro to discuss the fate of the circuit.

Exhibit F: I was going to host a Melee/Project M tournament on April 27.

Exhibit G: During the conversation with Xyro, the fact that there was a two week gap between the initial date for Revolution 14 and my planned tournament came to light. To combat such a discrepancy, I agreed to move up my planned tournament to its current date, the 20th, splitting the difference as it were.

Exhibit H: I immediately set out to try to secure the venue, seeing as the man that is in charge of the tournament calender at the venue was in the building. It turned into a dead end because I had to call ALSM to "clear the calender".

Exhibit I: With the calender clear, I will call the venue in the morning to secure it, and post the thread shortly afterword.

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
W/e happens, tios pls put up threads up so I can make plans for x events, c what i can go/not go to pls :)

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
As I have said, I can't really do anything until after Noon today. After letting the chips fall and make those calls as well as getting the information from Xyro, I will post the thread instantly. I have it mostly finished and ready to go.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
^

Espy this is why there should be no problem.

LSC and WHOBO is more hype than just WHOBO.
Idk why I'm silly for thinking that

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
YO real talk LSC or whobo, I'm hyped, build massive potbonus, m2k will smell it from miles and tx will have its swift revenge.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
^

Espy this is why there should be no problem.

LSC and WHOBO is more hype than just WHOBO.
Idk why I'm silly for thinking that
People aren't hyped about the LSC you dimbo, they're hyped about the fact TX is having tournaments in general. If we removed the fact it even has the three words Lone Star Circuit in it people would just treat it like normal tournaments still and attend.
Anybody OoS that comes is mostly only going to come down for the championships and try to steal the pot bonus.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Me Denti sync and Sergio have hosted several tournies during this dry spell. We have had many tourneys, but please explain to me why all the events combined averaged like 20 entrants. The only scene that hasn't been hosting is San an(and Austin I guess)

However throughout the LSC, countless players have said they're coming out of retirement for it, or are getting serious about the game for it.

ALSM Fogo megafox Labernash Trela Batou and the list just goes on and on.

Tesh

Smash Hero
None of you are Xyro. Xyro is running the circuit/road to WHOBO 5 either way so its gonna be good.

If you were Xyro, you would get it.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Me Denti sync and Sergio have hosted several tournies during this dry spell. We have had many tourneys, but please explain to me why all the events combined averaged like 20 entrants. The only scene that hasn't been hosting is San an(and Austin I guess)

However throughout the LSC, countless players have said they're coming out of retirement for it, or are getting serious about the game for it.

ALSM Fogo megafox Labernash Trela Batou and the list just goes on and on.

Read below

None of you are Xyro. Xyro is running the circuit/road to WHOBO 5 either way so its gonna be good.

If you were Xyro, you would get it.

Bingo!

Yeah, honestly it IS because of me. But how? Is it because i am a amazing top player? Nope, i ain't no top player. Is it because i am the best TO on the planet? Nope, i ain't no best TO. Its because i take my HOBO/WHOBO series and make sure its the best thing we have ever had here in Tx (as far as brawl is concerned). I advertise my stuff like crazy to attract a wide range of players from different areas, i get people housing, i give rides, i do my best to make sure people have fun or at least walk away and not say "damn that sucked." Though people may not like me as a person or they may not like what i believe in (smash wise) i think that respect/trust me enough to know that when i do something, its gonna be good. I wouldnt have reached HOBO 40 (come this August) or WHOBO 5 (come this October) had people not trusted/respected me.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
That's all fine and dandy but I'm also talking about players who quit while you still hosted on the reg too.
It's not like the fact that this is LSC holds no weight to anybody, cuz these people aren't all coming back(and traveling to) because you're hosting a couple hobo's

Xyro77

Well we will see of any old gens come back. So far, none have. And tbh, it doesn't really matter. The point of this is to get new players playing and get our current players playing more often. Aka reviving the scene.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
TOs like Xyro, Zac/Sethlon, and Nike/Kyle defined Texas Smash for most of Brawl's lifespan. Most of the players that quit experienced top of the line TO hosting FROM these guys. It only makes sense for them to want to come back for the circuit because some of them returned to host.

Dallas gets poor numbers because the committed scene is relatively small on its own, and the only ones who want to drive all the way over there are the ones who either guarantee that Olimar doesn't get 1st, or don't care about giving Olimar money.
:applejack:

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
The second paragraph of your post defines everything about the scene that could cause me to quit.

People don't want to travel cause they don't wanna give Olimar money, or they do so they can take his money. He's not even the best character why does all of Texas and Florida hate him?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If you are seriously perplexed by such a thing, then you're beyond my help. :applejack:

Xyro77

The second paragraph of your post defines everything about the scene that could cause me to quit.

People don't want to travel cause they don't wanna give Olimar money, or they do so they can take his money. He's not even the best character why does all of Texas and Florida hate him?
Olimar is literally nothing but a campy/defensive/annoying character (literally less than 1% of all player actually LIKE playing vs an olimar or watching his boring matches). He and a few others represent the reason why most players HATE this game/wont attend certain events or regions. You wouldn't know (dont take this the wrong way) because not only do you use mk you also do not have 4+ years of brawl tournament experience.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
No but I have close to 3 years.

Olimar started from the bottom. It's not like people mained him to ride his D like I do MK.

I and a few other players actually like campy play styles. It's fun. My favorite matches are matches that go to time. Only old gen nerds hate camping and play dumb games like marvel

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
You like camping, that's fine. A vast majority of people hate camping, because it requires no skill or strategy and wastes time. You want to know why people quit Brawl and hate the game? It's because it's a boring campfest. It gets to a point where people start thinking, "I don't know the matchup, but if I camp I know I'll win!"

No one wants to see that, unless you need a good sleep aide.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I jokingly tell entrants at my tourneys "no camping!" If I'm low on time. I only don't like it in that situation as a TO lol.

When both parties camp it's a ton of fun. Like brawl camping isn't literally "run away the whole match" cause that'll eventually cause you to lose anyway. Brawl camping is chill in close enough range so if they trip or mess up you can strike.
Tawko, #4 in Tyler, mains snake. He's my favorite person to play. Every game is basically him throwing nades, me dodging nades and slow working towards him, then whoever spaces ftilt better. Takes forever, but it's so fun.
It's not like cod camping where you just wait in a corner till someone walks by(which isn't really that annoying.)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
And people who like to camp and intentionally do so to win do a good job at killing the spectator aspect of it. :applejack:

Player-4

See you in 25 years
No but I have close to 3 years.

Olimar started from the bottom. It's not like people mained him to ride his D like I do MK.

I and a few other players actually like campy play styles. It's fun. My favorite matches are matches that go to time. Only old gen nerds hate camping and play dumb games like marvel
ICs were second worst in Melee and Diddy was mid tier? What's your point? Games develop and progress, doesn't make the character any less gay/boring to watch just because he was first considered bad by people who didn't know the character full potential.

Lmao at Marvel being a dumb game. That game actually requires tech skill and work to be good at, running away doesn't and won't get you very far in the long run, if you look at people that are good 8/10 they know how to fight. The reason why people dilike camping so much is typically because they're wasting everyones time, congrats you out camped Foxyrushdown86 for 24 minutes, now fight Gnes.

I jokingly tell entrants at my tourneys "no camping!" If I'm low on time. I only don't like it in that situation as a TO lol.

When both parties camp it's a ton of fun. Like brawl camping isn't literally "run away the whole match" cause that'll eventually cause you to lose anyway. Brawl camping is chill in close enough range so if they trip or mess up you can strike.
Tawko, #4 in Tyler, mains snake. He's my favorite person to play. Every game is basically him throwing nades, me dodging nades and slow working towards him, then whoever spaces ftilt better. Takes forever, but it's so fun.
It's not like cod camping where you just wait in a corner till someone walks by(which isn't really that annoying.)
People that camp in corners in CoD are bad buzz killers or are those people that need 1 kill for a killstreak, otherwise that's easily taken care of with C4, nades, RPGs or just being a better gunner. Camping in CoD is so easy to get around, camping in Brawl not so much.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162

It's fine you like camping, but you are a definite minority. People want a fighting game to be faced-paced and energetic, not slow and campy. Hell, even Sakurai admitted camping is a problem.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea it doesn't really matter where olimar started. He can be boring and bad or boring and good. No one is calling Denti a tier *****, its just that no one wants to watch olimar exist. Its hype to watch olimar lose, but thats about it.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
I was mad hyped when Denti 3 stocked Seibrik at WABA. Finished with a hype whistle to up smash at like 180%. I love it~

MK is def more boring than Oli :(

@P4 this game really takes a lot of work. I've been practicing and studying since my first tourney(jan 2011) and I just now am getting 7th at 17 man locals. This games tech skill isn't as deep but it's more of a mental battle~

Tesh

Smash Hero
Boring is subjective, but I'd tell you most people find MK less boring than olimar. He is broken, but the vast pool of options gives him ways to be entertaining. Olimar is literally just a few overpowered options all the time.

Just because a game is more technical, doesn't mean it doesn't have a deep (or deeper) mental aspect. I don't know anything about other fighters, but just because you have to press more buttons per minute, doesn't mean there aren't lots of reads and spacing going into the process.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just because a game is more technical, doesn't mean it doesn't have a deep (or deeper) mental aspect. I don't know anything about other fighters, but just because you have to press more buttons per minute, doesn't mean there aren't lots of reads and spacing going into the process.
Please compare Brawl to SFIV. I dare you.

Xyro77

You think camping is fun and/or interesting to watch. F you!

You think MK is more boring to watch than olimar. F you again!

You think Denti beating seibrik is some legendary feat. He loses to MUs hes not familiar with.

You think a move (whistle) that negates all knock back and give a frame advantage is cool. This is literally F***ing BRAWL only ****!

You literally think 7th at a 17 man event in a NO NAME city is good or shows that your works pays off. Come play REAL players!!!!!!!!!!

You admit you ride MKs D because you are not good enough to use a real character. F you a 3rd time!

You think brawl is mentally challenging or more mentally challenging than Melee? F you a 4th and final time.

IceCream, i always talk about how bad new gens are and i find very few players who actually live up to 100% of the definition but you dude? Holy F you are every word of the definition and maybe even more. Now I've never met you in person nor have i played you but from what i am seeing here on SWF, you are an example of why people HATE brawl and its players/scene. God i cant wait till smash 4 so poo poo like you will be flushed.

Please compare Brawl to SFIV. I dare you.
Brawl doesn't have Guile.
SSF4 has guile.
SSF4>Brawl

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
The thing about getting 7/17th at Tyler tourneys was emphasizing that this game isn't a piece of cake. I'm putting in a ton of work and just starting to move up in bracket. But barely

Xyro77

Getting good at anything takes work. Unless you are a natural bad ass like myself.

And im pretty sure no one said this game is EASY. it is most def EASIER than melee though.

Top Bottom