• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to WHOBO! (updated on 4-19-2013)

Tesh

Smash Hero
icecream, the gct is the file that contains your codes. just search your sd card for a file called "RSBE01.gct"

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I am announcing now that the Road to WHOBO will have a stop in DFW in July. The 2013 edition of The Fort Worth Classic is announcing now that it will make tentative plans to return to La Quinta Inns and Suites in Lake Worth/Fort Worth on July 20th, 2013. This venue decision was not taken lightly, and I hope that you would have a productive experience out of it in the process.

Tournament thread will be up in May at the latest.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Nah, he made this most recent change on monday. Before that, he just made 41 part of the circuit (remember when he said extending the circuit?) and mentioned bigger pot bonus etc.

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
I hope Whobo is mk legal, i was looking forward to m2k,anti,nairo,tyrant,etc without having to travel across the country or watch livestreams, whobos are usually fun anyways( not because of smash related things tho lol), but meh I'd rather just stay in NJ for vacation and train hard against mks since the days of brawl are pretty much counted, gotta go out with a bang at apex, GL with w/e tho.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I seriously doubt that Xyro would suddenly ban MK at WHOBO when we had several events prior to that where he was legal. MK banned events under Unity did not go over well, and you can point to Apex as the reason why.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Xyro did exactly what you just said during the string of events that lead to the last WHOBO. :applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Pwii, I really don't think those people will come to WHOBO anyway. They didn't come to WHOBO 3 if you recall and that was MK legal. And the best MKs that showed up were Ally and Dojo...both of which had the balls to show up for WHOBO 4. Atomsk and Inui too. Besides there are people that will show up to an MK banned WHOBO but not the other way around. And that might be an even rarer and more special occasion. As I said before, the pinnacle of MK legal competition will be SKTAR and Apex and I do enjoy that to an extent too. But just as low tier and mid tier are interesting, MK banned is too and I don't see the point of bending over to become a less appealing SKTAR/Apex.

I'm not sure why you think the... 400 dollar pot bonus or so will bring all of those people down to TX.

I don't see why there is so much emphasis on bending toward whatever NY/NJ wants to do. I didn't think TX, especially Xyro did that, regardless of if a few people might not show.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Pwii, I will not bend for a mk infested region. Anti/Nairo have never and will never come to tx. Plus those two are half of the top 4 right there and they are mk. BORING.

Sanji, as far as the road to WHOBO is concerned, only 1 event has been completed. I can still go mk banned if I want. This debate will all the mk users and new gens make me wanna do it so bad.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Pretty sure Xyro isn't going to force anyone to run MK banned. All the HOBOs before WHOBO 4 were MK legal anyway (or most).

Igetitpoppin01

Smash Apprentice
Oh I thought the pot bonus was going be way bigger lol, nv lol. It would be hype if top mks came down to tx, oh wellz someday.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Oh I thought the pot bonus was going be way bigger lol, nv lol. It would be hype if top mks came down to tx, oh wellz someday.
How would you expect that. Just look at attendance multiplied by whobo fee. I'm thinking 500 at best because there are more events this time around and icecream is doing a 5$ whobo fee apparently.

But that bonus splits between doubles and singles. I don't think the money alone would attact big names to TX just for MK dittos.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
To get an more exact estimate, I estimate there were 60 people at HOBO 39. That tournament's RtWHOBO's fee was $2. If everyone paid that fee, and Xyro would have to confirm that, the amount raised would be $120.

Who's Tyler 4's RtWHOBO fee is $5. So far, there are 16(counting ALSM's confirmation in the thread) people who are confirmed to show up. If everyone paid the fee, the amount raised would be $80. However, Icecream has promised that he would waive the WHOBO fee if setups were brought. If there were 7 people who brought a setup, Who's Tyler would only raise $55.

While I don't have the inside track, and I won't claim that I have one, that is anywhere from $175 to $200. Something to think about.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
So like, I completely forgot about Who's Tyler.
Is anybody even going to this? Don't think there'll even be an SA event from what I heard.

Xyro77

that never has happened in tx history so the chances of it happening soon are even lower than before. if u want a boring as mk filled brawl, go to EC or WC.

To get an more exact estimate, I estimate there were 60 people at HOBO 39. That tournament's RtWHOBO's fee was $2. If everyone paid that fee, and Xyro would have to confirm that, the amount raised would be $120.

Who's Tyler 4's RtWHOBO fee is $5. So far, there are 16(counting ALSM's confirmation in the thread) people who are confirmed to show up. If everyone paid the fee, the amount raised would be $80. However, Icecream has promised that he would waive the WHOBO fee if setups were brought. If there were 7 people who brought a setup, Who's Tyler would only raise $55.

While I don't have the inside track, and I won't claim that I have one, that is anywhere from $175 to $200. Something to think about.

yea its 120$ for HOBO 39 but i highly disagree with the fact that GW is waiving the whobo fee if u bring a full set-up but its his event so w/e.

i dont expect to pot bonus to be MASSIVE this time around cause dallas event 1 bailed on us and it seems nike bailed on us too. its just hobo 39, whos tyler, hobo 40 and dallas event 2. 4 events 3 cites LOL. i guess it doesnt matter though. whobo 5/reviving the scene is the main goal any way.

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
I have a question Xyro. Is there any possible way to move HOBO 40 to either June 1st or June 8th? I been thinking of the tournament regularity in the series, and it is 92 days from now to the FWC in July. Assuming that Nike bails on us, this would be a month without a tournament. However, according to a date and time calculator, the day that is half way of the 92 days would fall on June 5th, a Wed.

Should we do the smart thing and mess with the schedule around a bit so that the rest of the tournaments get roughly a same amount of time between each other? As things stand now, after HOBO 40, it will be over two months before the next one, and that is by design.

Xyro77

In light of recent events:

Dallas bailed on event 2
Tyler event 3 bombed hard
San Antonio bailed on event 4

I've come to the conclusion that the circuit/road to WHOBO is not going according to plan. I put too much faith in people that didnt really WANT a LSC/road to WHOBO. It's not your fault, it's mine. So what happens now? What happens next is that I'm going to pull the "tyrant with and iron fist" card and do what I should have done a while back. From this day forward, if any of you wanna be apart of the road to WHOBO/circuit, bring it. If not, that is totally fine, do what you want. Either way, my focus is ONLY on HOBO 40 and WHOBO 5.

Speaking of Whobo 5, I've decided to make it MK banned. Now before you mk nerds start crying, I need you to sit back and remember that though I am a stone cold heartless bich, I still will throw you mk wimps a bone. IF ANY MK MAIN (meaning people like tyrant/m2k/dojo/infinity aka 99% mk users) DARES TO ATTEND WHOBO 5, HE/SHE WILL BE ALLOWED INTO SINGLES AND DOUBLES FOR FREE. I will go into much more detail when the thread goes up this week.

I know this is a huge change in the middle of the circuit but tbh we really haven't had much of a circuit so far and thus I felt this change wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Xyro77

Mk banned at whobo? Time to brush upbig time on oli match up
and diddy and snake and falco and ICs

with mk banned, you can actually counter w/e bad MUs you have. without mk you will see some really odd MUs that actually turn out to be super fun.

whobo 4 had trela lucario vs shaky ness or ryo ike vs reflex PT......ect. fresh/new MUs (to most) bring excitement.

Was planning on HOBO/WHOBO being my last tournaments anyways.
Then you will go out strong. Im going to announce some events for whobo that is right up your alley.

Xyro77

IF I COUNT FOR FREE SINGLES IM DOWN
you either go 99% mk at events or have such terrible 2ndaries that even a stop sign could **** you.

so yes, you would get into singles/double for free. this rule was used at WHOBO 4 and it worked very well. tons of mk players still went.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Idk about 99% in a literal since.
I try to use puff at least one game every tourney. Other than that it's all MK.

I now would like to attend
Waive my venue fee too because ily

Xyro77

Idk about 99% in a literal since.
I try to use puff at least one game every tourney. Other than that it's all MK.
well your mk sucks so i can only image how terrible your poo poo puff is.

I now would like to attend
Waive my venue fee too because ily
even though your main is banned, you can still MM and friendly all the people you want with mk. I promise you will have fun. WHOBO 4 (mk banned) was the only whobo where i can honestly say that i ENJOYED the final 8 matches.

look at the results from last time......BEAUTIFUL!

http://www.smashboards.com/threads/...nned-national-we-failed-florida-texas.326126/

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Oh I know, I watched the stream all weekend long last year.

Ryo and True Blue vs Ally and Trela is probably the best doubles set ever.
I mained Yoshi then though lol MY PUFF IS A GODDESS

Top Bottom