• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Road to WHOBO! (updated on 4-19-2013)

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
Brawl is one of the easiest fighting games (if it can be classified as a fighting game) there is.
I think the classification of "easy to pick up, hard to master" would apply to most, if not all fighters. I'm a traditional fighters guy, but at our last fight club I had a blast playing Smash; so much so that I'm considering picking up a Wii and a copy of the game whenever I get my money in May.

Noh

Smash Rookie
I don't mean to intrude on your guys debate but what's wrong with newgens? I am a newgen and I just want to know how they are "bad". I just want to know because I don't want to offend anybody if I attend any of the other LSC tournaments. Or is it some sort of jokingly rivalry with old generation vs new generation that I am not getting?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There's nothing wrong with newgens, and I'm pretty sure it's mostly meant as an inside joke (moreso for Houston).
The only problem I think most of us veterans in here have is people with naive mindsets telling us how we're in the wrong for disliking something that most of us frankly had to deal with throughout the 4-5 years we've been playing this game. It' tiresome to hear, and it's just annoying at this point.

Like the game however which way you want, but the majority is what defines a community's law, and if that majority dislikes a certain style of play, then it should really be no wonder why characters that optimize that style of play harbor such a negative atmosphere.

:applejack:

Tesh

Smash Hero
I don't mean to intrude on your guys debate but what's wrong with newgens? I am a newgen and I just want to know how they are "bad". I just want to know because I don't want to offend anybody if I attend any of the other LSC tournaments. Or is it some sort of jokingly rivalry with old generation vs new generation that I am not getting?
Its just a joke. Old gens are people from launch or Melee players who switched to Brawl, New gens are any people who have picked up the game after 08-09 (wifi doesn't count).

Not everyone catches on immediately to the jokes. I remember someone believing he had been "kicked out" of the local scene before ever attending a tournament.

Noh

Smash Rookie
That make perfect sense then lol. I always felt a non serious vibe when people post insults about each other. Also, the inside jokes pretty much sums it up for me lol. I just don't want certain things to happen, like what happened on..... *cough*HOBO39*cough*

EDIT: even though what happened in HOBO39 was instigated for something completely different from what I'm getting at.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
New gens are the best old gens are dummies who play games like Street Fighter 2 and TMNTTF

To answer your question

Old gens do not play TMNTTF because there is literally no reason to play it. iirc every char but one has an infinite chaingrab. plus, there isnt a scene for it.

its crap like this that makes me hate new gens. not only do they know literally NOTHING, they cant even insult us old gen correctly.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
actually labernash and xeven play TMNTTF and they're new gens so I recant my insult

old gens are dummies who can't move on to the evolution of fighters(brawl is the future minus tripping)

Xyro77

actually labernash and xeven play TMNTTF and they're new gens so I recant my insult

old gens are dummies who can't move on to the evolution of fighters(brawl is the future minus tripping)
oh nice, TWO newgens playing a game with no scene. proves my point.

Brawl is NOT the "evolution" of fighters (or smash for that matter) because:

1. Brawl/Smash is a PARTY game we turned into a "fighter."
2. Brawl is the slowest, least technical, most campy game of the series. This mean it is a step backwards.

You wouldnt know any of this because you are a new gen.

Sybawave

Smash Ace

oh nice, TWO newgens playing a game with no scene. proves my point.

Brawl is NOT the "evolution" of fighters (or smash for that matter) because:

1. Brawl/Smash is a PARTY game we turned into a "fighter."
2. Brawl is the slowest, least technical, most campy game of the series. This mean it is a step backwards.

You wouldnt know any of this because you are a new gen.
Said something worth something, can't remember that ever having happened since I've been here. Can't get over that fact that there exists someone that's actually THAT ******** to make that post actually decent.

TM_icecream, you're an idiot, kid. Get off the ****ing internet and back to your mother's mammary glands.

Xyro77

Said something worth something, can't remember that ever having happened since I've been here. Can't get over that fact that there exists someone that's actually THAT ******** to make that post actually decent.

TM_icecream, you're an idiot, kid. Get off the ****ing internet and back to your mother's mammary glands.
You dont read my posts enough and def dont know me well enough to know im a literal smash genius. You are too busy being a new gen melee player who has "i hate brawl " glasses on. Take them off and take a step back from hating me and you will start to like me.

Xyro77

Ok MAJOR update

The Lone Star Circuit (LSC) has been cancelled. Denti/Sanji (batou) were the two TOs that were going to do the Dallas event (April) but both of them have failed to hold up their end of the bargain. Losing one (maybe two, july) events and one major city basically makes this circuit pointless. So, the LSC is now a "Road to WHOBO" or "Path to WHOBO" or "HighWay to WHOBO" or whatever you wanna call it.

The schedule for the Road to WHOBO will be slightly altered and the championships (now known as WHOBO 5) will be much different.

Changes to the schedule:

April- Who's Tyler?
May- HOBO 40
June- NikeFest 55
July- Revolution 14 (if they get their act together in the next 2.5 months)
August- HOBO 41
September- no events. save money. get caught up in school.
October- WHOBO 5

Changes to the championships/whobo 5:

Last years LSC championships, we had pro bracket/AM bracket but since this is now a WHOBO, im doing away with that crap. The LSC points you get at each event will stop (luckily we only gave out point at ONE event so far) as well.

WHOBO 5 events/times/dates/prices and thread will be made within a week.

TOs (Mr.GW [april] Nike [june] and i hope Denit [july?]) who are running events for the Road to WHOBO series, PLEASE MAKE YOUR THREADS ASAP. When people wait, bad things happen.

Denti

Smash Master
Sorry that stuff happened. The week after Hobo I was supposed to find a venue but deep personal stuff came up in my life and I couldn't find a venue. I handed it off to the other TOs of DFW respectively as soon as I found out. It's a shame to hear they didn't do anything either. Sorry I missed the deadline.

Edit: There are people putting together a project M regional here. Maybe we could share venues on the same date and raise the interest of both of our events. Just a thought.

Xyro77

what is the date of the PM event? lololol dont tell us about it with no date? if it is in july then it would be PERFECT

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
what is the date of the PM event? lololol dont tell us about it with no date? if it is in july then it would be PERFECT
I am the one putting together the event. I said back in January that I am interested in putting one together mostly in anger. I never thought it would be taken seriously.

Xyro77

Evo is supporting everything but brawl. im not worried about evo hurting attendance at all. but if the july TO (dallas?) wants to move the date, then that is fine.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
So I guess tesh has to make a new video and logo lol sux to be a sonic main

Oh but really maybe we should do that AiB article but for Road to WHOBO and like get it posted

Tesh

Smash Hero
lol there is hardly enough worthwhile TX content (especially with most of our best sets never being saved), to make another video.

I do plan on making a compilation of just LSC/RTW events if we actually start recording hype matches and playing out grand finals.

TM_icecream

Smash Ace
Every singles set at Who's Tyler will be recorded because we're literally the best. You can make a Who's Tyler? 4 combo video by itself lol

Sanji Himura

Smash Journeyman
Evo is supporting everything but brawl. im not worried about evo hurting attendance at all. but if the july TO (dallas?) wants to move the date, then that is fine.
I was posing the question to Facebook earlier this month. Though no one in particular said they were going, I don't want to take any chances if I was orgainizing the event.

Tesh

Smash Hero

I thought I might put that in the middle of the original graphic, but with no name for the Dallas even now...

Top Bottom