• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Road to LTC]Play a Real Game 2: February 1st, Irving TX- Melee/PM- $100 Pot Bonus!

Oracle

Smash Master
[Road to LTC]Play a Real Game 2
Hosted by Tourney Locator

Febuary 1st, 2014
Irving, TX

Notes from last time: Swiss went ok, but not as well as it could have. There was a good deal of confusion when people were in multiple events, and some matches took longer than they should have because they were not properly announced. This time, matches will be printed out and listed on the bulletin board. Each round will last for one hour, and each player will be responsible for using that hour to find and report their OWN MATCH by highlighting the winner on the match sheet. This is how swiss works in most other gaming tournaments, so there is no reason that it should fail here.

The other issue that held up the tournament last time was people leaving without telling anyone or ignoring their match being called. I will be cracking down on this by using a sign out sheet. One of the advantages of swiss is that if your match is done early, you have a good deal of time before your next match. Every time a player needs to go further away from the venue than just outside, he or she will place their name, phone number, and time of signing out on the sheet. This way, if you have to play a match but are outside of the venue, one of the TO's will be able to contact you and let you know you have something to do.

BE WARNED: THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN LEAVE WHENEVER YOU WANT WITHOUT REPERCUSSION. If you are out of the venue when your match is called and you do not return with sufficient time to cmoplete your match before the round ends, you will probably LOSE THAT ROUND. This isn't double elimination, so one round loss isn't the end of the world, but eating Whataburger is a silly thing to take a loss over.

POT BONUS: I have $100 that I will put as a pot bonus to one of the games, either PM or Melee. However, I can only provide a bonus for one game. On the Tourney Locator event (located here), click compete and comment "MELEE" if you want the bonus to go to melee, or "PROJECT M" if you want the bonus in PM. I will count the votes one week before the tournament, and whichever has more votes will be chosen! If you have no preference, then you can just trash talk in the comments section instead.

UPDATE: As of January 25th, PM has more votes than Melee, so the $100 pot bonus is confirmed for Project M Singles! This also means that we will be paying out to TOP 8!

If you have any questions, contact me (Oracle) at 214-914-2134. Texts are preferred to calling. Alternatively message me on facebook (Rob Dickson) or post in the facebook group.

Location: EPIK CARDS & GAMES 1735 N. Story Road Suite#116, Irving, TX 75061.

Entry Fees

Venue: $10 ($5 if you bring a setup)

PM/Melee Singles: $10

PM/Melee Doubles: $10 per team

PM/ Turbo Doubles: $2 per team

Schedule

10:30- Store Opens- PLEASE try to be here as early as you can. I don't want another repeat of the first one.
11:00- Sign ups Start
11:30- Signups End, Melee/PM Doubles bracket begins
12:30- Melee and PM Swiss Rounds Begin
4:00- Start Turbo Doubles Bracket
7:00- Swiss ends, Top Cut begins
9:30- Singles Bracket Ends, Finish Doubles and Turbo Doubles
12:00/Whenever- Leave

We can stay as long as we need to, but I want to get out by midnight, and will do everything I can to make the tournament run quickly and smoothly.

Note: There is no lunch break because you can find your own time to eat with the sign out sheet. There are a handful of restaurants very close to the venue, including a KFC within walking distance.

Explanation of Swiss system:
Instead of a traditional pools into bracket, I will be running rounds of swiss into a top 16 cut. What this means is that in each round, every player will be paired with a player that has the same record as them. IE if you lose your first round, your round 2 opponent will also have a 0-1 record. This continues until there is a clear cut top 16, which will be seeded into a bracket based on their records. My goal is to fit in six rounds for each game

This system is advantageous over pools/bracket because everyone gets to play more matches and its generally faster. No matter what your record is, you get to play a match every round in swiss, whereas in a bracket you're out after two losses.

Rules: Applies to Both PM and Melee
All matches will be played 2/3, except for top 5 (Winners semis and onwards, losers quarters and onwards)
8 Minute Timer, 4 Stock games
1. First round will be played on a neutral stage, struck in an alternating fashion (1-1-1-1)
PM Neutral stages- Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Pokemon Stadium 2, Smashville
Melee Neutral Stages- Fountain of Dreams (Singles Only), Yoshi's Story, Final Destination, Battlefield, Dreamland, Pokemon Stadium (Doubles Only)
2. After the first match, winning player/team select stages to ban from all legal stages. Three stage bans in PM, two stage bans in Melee.
3. Losing team/player then picks stage
4. Winner picks character
5. Loser picks character.
Counterpicks for PM:
Fountain of Dreams
Warioware
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Frigate Ophion
Delfino Plaza
Green Hill Zone
Skyworld
Castlevania
Yoshis Story Melee (Singles Only)
Skyloft (Doubles Only)

These stages are not set in stone: I still need to research more on the ceilings. It will still have three bans and roughly the same number of stages legal when I am finished.
Melee Counterpick stages- pokemon stadium, kongo jungle 64, mute city, brinstar, rainbow cruise,
Mr. Wizard's Stupid Rule- no stage may be played on more than once per set, unless agreed upon by both players

Payout:

Project M Singles:
1st- 50%
2nd- 22%
3rd- 12%
4th- 6%
5th- 3%
7th- 2%

Melee Singles :
1st- 55%
2nd- 25%
3rd- 10%
4th- 5%
5th- 2.5%

If fewer than 40 entrants
1st- 55%
2nd- 25%
3rd- 15%
4th- 5%

Other Rules- applies to all attendees
- don't trash the venue. The owner is a friend of mine and he was nice enough to lend us his store, so don't be a jerk.
- you can be loud and whatnot, hype is always appreciated
- food and drink is fine as long as you don't spill. venue has snacks and sodas as well, so buy some there to show your support!

Remember to Register on Tourney Locator!

Last edited:

Oracle

Smash Master
ANNOUNCEMENTS BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT STARTS

1. With an utterly dominant 19-4 landslide, PM has been confirmed to receive the $100 Pot Bonus! Keep in mind this also means that PM singles will also be paid out to top 8! Be sure to enter and get your chance at the money!
2. PM Stagelist has been finalized! It is similar to the list at the last tournament, but instead of kongo jungle 64 and brinstar, I've added back Yoshi's Island melee for singles and skyloft for doubles. These changes are reflected on the custom .gct and common5.pac. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT EVERYONE WHO IS BRINGING A SETUP FOR PM HAS THESE ON THEIR SD CARDS BEFORE ARRIVING TO THE VENUE. IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT ON YOUR SD CARD AND I HAVE TO INSTALL IT, YOUR VENUE FEE DISCOUNT MAY BE FORFEIT AND YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY THE FULL $10.
Installation instructions for the .gct
1. Download RSBE01.gct from here
2. Go into the "codes" folder in your sd card and replace the existing RSBE01.gct with the one you downloaded.
3. You're good to go!

Installation instructions for the common5.pac
1. Download the file from here
2. Go to this location on your SD card in windows explorer- SD Card > projectm > pf > system > common5.pac
3. Replace the existing file with the new common5.pac.
4. Make sure the file is explicitly named "common5.pac". IF IT IS ANYTHING BUT common5.pac YOU'LL FREEZE ON THE STRAP MENU

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BRING SETUPS! Even if all you have is a cube then bring it along and I'll try to find use for it. We need as many setups as we can get, and you get $5 off venue for bringing one so its a win win!

Last edited:

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
So hyped! This will be the first tournament I will get to be in the venue for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'll probably come. I might need a ride to and from there though.

Penguin_ftw

Smash Apprentice
food and drink is fine as long as you don't spill.
p sure I could spill a liter of soda on that carpet and no one would be any the wiser if it wasn't sticky and wet.

In all seriousness though I'm glad you're looking to remedy all the flaws from the last one

NoxD

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2891-1990
I thought there would never be a Project M tournament in the DFW area, and just Melee tournaments (in the winter time alone). I'll try to make it to this one, as I'm super excited. c:

@
Aliami - Ness Ditto me irl

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
I thought there would never be a Project M tournament in the DFW area, and just Melee tournaments (in the winter time alone). I'll try to make it to this one, as I'm super excited. c:

@
There are Project M tournaments here all the time, just slightly less frequently then Melee tournaments.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Man I can't wait to play on Kongo Jungle 64

In Project M

In 2014

D

Deleted member

@
:nessmelee: I don't do Ness dittos but I will do Nus dittos. :nessmelee:
I need to practice P:M again, haha. How about $10 MM?

@ Oracle Oracle If I go I'm bring 2 CRTs (The Nus CRT and the other 20 inch one) and my Wii with P:M. If Torin tags along or drives me he to and from the venue he can bring his Wii with P:M to complete my other CRT.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to pull out the Ness Climbers in Singles :3
:ness2:NUS CLIMBERS :ness2:
(They are legal, right? If Giga Bowser is they better damn be.)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I'd imagine Giga Bowser and the Climbers characters will only be allowed with gentlemens rule (and no one wants to play vs that **** so good luck)

NoxD

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0130-2891-1990
:nessmelee: I don't do Ness dittos but I will do Nus dittos. :nessmelee:
I need to practice P:M again, haha. How about $10 MM?
Maybe...I'm the kind of Nus player who doesn't PK Fire as much as I assume you do.
By Ness Climbers do you mean me and you in a double Ness team of awesomeNess?

EmLeingod

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmLeingod
Oh boy, I should definitely be able to make it to this! Will bring friends if I can.

D

Deleted member

Maybe...I'm the kind of Nus player who doesn't PK Fire as much as I assume you do.
By Ness Climbers do you mean me and you in a double Ness team of awesomeNess?
No, I mean using the Climbers/Reflection glitch to play as two Nus(es) at the same time in the P:M Singles bracket. :ness: :ness:

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
Gotta a few folks with me to come to this event! We should have at least two setups if everything goes well. Let's just hope the venue can hold two more setups this time. And that it doesn't rain.

D

Deleted member

Gotta a few folks with me to come to this event! We should have at least two setups if everything goes well. Let's just hope the venue can hold two more setups this time. And that it doesn't rain.
#FreeSetUps2014

We need more tables in the back @ Oracle Oracle . I might be able to bring one if the venue allows us to bring tables.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
Hey DG lets actually put some practice time into doubles for once... Just saying

TheFoolishPhilosopher

Smash Cadet
Definitely interested, but not sure about the logistics of going.
How far away is this from the DART transfer center in Dallas?
Would I be able to find a way there?

D

Deleted member

He picked one up from me today actually lol
Also Grabbit I heard you don't like tink/want to play peach instead. I am ashamed you have fallen to such shame. SOILED IT

G-Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
Also Grabbit I heard you don't like tink/want to play peach instead. I am ashamed you have fallen to such shame. SOILED IT
I'm sorry young man, but you've been fed misinformation. I consider myself a dual-main. I have been a Peach main in Melee since 2006/2007. Naturally I have mained her in Project M since her appearance in v2.0. I also picked up Toon Link in v2.0 and loved him ever since. I've never dropped either Toon Link or Peach throughout my time playing Project M. I do, however, have matchups that I prefer one over the other, or there are days when I'm feeling more confident with one more than the other. My Toon Link and Peach are both better than they've ever been, and I don't intend on dropping either of them EVER. I have been trying to put a lot of effort into adding Kirby to my tourney roster though. The three of them cover a lot of different character and player matchups in my opinion.

OAM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OAM37
Tyler will bring at least one carpool of players and at least one setup, provided I don't get a work schedule dropped on me the week before.

D

Deleted member

Since I love donating money, I'm gonna make an appearance at this tournament.

I also might be able to bring a TV.

XxavierPKRS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Xxavier
New member here.
Working on getting a few of my friends and I to get there for our first PM tourney. Should have at least 2 setups, hopefully including CRTs.
Are there no character/infinites bans for the Turbo Bracket? Or are people free to play broken turbo chars like Toon Link or Zelda who can just spam moves like at the end of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXNcZhIrZ1Y
I know that Turbo isn't going to be a major focus of the event, but it would still be nice to see infinites banned to keep the spirit of the game.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I wonder if you can escape it with SDI/teching? If not, I'm looking into MK Tornado infinite off the top :)

Turbo will probably be anything goes. The game mode IS basically meant to be broken as hell and ridiculous, and is stepping into new territory.

Top Bottom