• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
Thanks!
I would try this out however i'm lacking a sd card right now
2 questions for you though:
1.So if wanted to add options it would be like this:
Code:
				<choice name="Choice name">
					<param name="filename" value="choice"/>
					<patch id="stage"/>
				</choice>
2.what would i name the options?

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
Thanks!
I would try this out however i'm lacking a sd card right now
2 questions for you though:
1.So if wanted to add options it would be like this:
Code:
				<choice name="Choice name">
					<patch id="stage"/>
				</choice>
2.what would i name the options?
Well, yes, to expand the list of stages you want to choose from, that is what you do if you will be using macros for all of your stages anyway.

For the choice name, you give them names that describe the stage you want to choose to play on. For example, if I set Battlefield to the choice "Tabuu", I'd expect to play on the Tabuu stage whenever I select Battlefield from the stage selection screen.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
1.Got ya
2.I think you misunderstood me i meant the pac names
The files?
Code:
If you have a file named "choice.pac" that file will be used when this line of code is read. Is there something else I'm not understanding?

KingSlimeKnight

Smash Apprentice
I've finished and completed the Brawl Mod Launcher v2 for Riivolution. Works with Brawl+ 7.0, Brawl- 1.5, Project: M. Since Balanced Brawl 2 doesn't have any TXTs or has any GCT's that omits the File Patch Code, I can't test to make sure that works.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?jjtm2dm33ny

Place in the "riivolution" folder, along with codehandler.bin for Ocarina codes.

Code:
	=========== Where do I place my mods? ===================

X:/brawlmods/bbrawl/ - Balanced Brawl. RSBE01.gct goes in this folder, as well as all of the other "pf" files.

X:/brawlmods/brawlminus/ - Brawl Minus. RSBE01.gct goes in this folder, as well as all of the other "pf" files.

X:/brawlmods/brawlplus/ - Brawl Plus. RSBE01.gct goes in this folder, as well as all of the other "pf" files.

X:/brawlmods/custom1/ - Custom Set #1. RSBE01.gct goes in the root of this folder. Contains "fighter",
				"info", "info2", "menu", "menu2", "module", "stage" and "system" folders as well.

X:/brawlmods/custom2/ - Custom Set #2. RSBE01.gct goes in the root of this folder. Contains "fighter",
				"info", "info2", "menu", "menu2", "module", "stage" and "system" folders as well.

X:/brawlmods/projectm/ - Project: M. RSBE01.gct goes in this folder, as well as all of the other "pf" files.

X:/brawlmods/vbrawl/ - Regular Brawl. RSBE01.gct goes in the root of this folder. Contains "fighter",

=========== Where do I place my music? ===================

X:/brawlmods/music/ - Where you place "info.pac", and optionally, "smashbros_sound.brsar".
	X:/brawlmods/music/strm/ - Where you place all of your BRSTM files to be used in game.

=========== Where do I place my textures? ================

X:/brawlmods/textures/fighter/ - All of the character textures go here, e.g. X:/brawlmods/textures/fighter/captain/FitCaptain00.pac
	X:/brawlmods/textures/info/ - Anything that belongs in "info" goes in here.
	X:/brawlmods/textures/menu/ - Anythin that belongs in "menu" goes in here.
	X:/brawlmods/textures/menu2/ - Anything that belongs in "menu2" or "pfmenu2" goes in here.
        X:/brawlmods/stages/ - All stage textures (pac) + any module files (rel) go here.

=========== How about my movies (THP files)? =============

X:/brawlmods/movies/ - Place any THP files you have in here.
I has a question regarding to the xml...If I want to replace a trophy texture, where do I put it, and does the xml needs to be changed? Does putting it in X:/brawlmods/textures/toy/fig/ makes it work?

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
If you have a file named "choice.pac" that file will be used when this line of code is read. Is there something else I'm not understanding?
Nope that's everything
But thanks for taking the time to help me with this though i'm going to try it out and see if it works
There's a new riivolution/riifs now guys if you didnt know
Thank you for letting me know so noa i can downloadz it
Edit: okay for some reason the option thing doesn't load the file i want but weirdest part is the stage expansion code is working now -___-

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Random question tiem! :D I'm NTSC and using a SDHC card.

ok... Which Brawlmods XML is better...? Hozu's or Bionic Sonic's? err... well, which one should I use, lol. I'm considering these because I love the option to play the different mods whenever you want. I followed Hozu's tutorial and everything works great, except that CSS and main menu hax don't show up. hopefully i'm not offending you two :x
and speaking of that... where do main menu and CSS texture hax go in the SD? I'm using Hozu's xml, so my main "pf" folder is "shared". My CSS texture is in E:\private\wii\APP\RSBE\shared\menu2 and it doesn't work, but it doesn't freeze either. The normal css just loads... it does need the "_en" suffix right? and btw I have working CSPs loaded if that means anything :confused: I'm using ASF1nk's Dark Flaming Blue CSS, and I KNOW that I have the codes on too. I can see the alloys, Giga Bowser and Warioman at the bottom and I can play as 'em no problem. Doesn't even look like these work for Riivolution in the first place... I messed with the files name and path and got nothin'.
Where can I get japanese voice files for Riivolution and where do I put 'em in the SD? If there's any special rules I gotta follow, then say so plz.
You can make your own XML files... right? any tutorials on this? I wanna make some for music hack playlists in Tatsunoko vs Capcom...

hopefully that wall of text doesnt intimidate people... help, anyone? :o

Mr.Chuy

Chuy
1.I would say Hozu's but i haven't tried Bionic's
2.You have to merge those 2 files into the common5 to work and name it common5_en
3.LINK >:D
goes under shared->sound
4.yes you can make your own xml files however you need to know how to use the xml format

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
I would suggest Bionic Sonic's since it's newer and I'm assuming it works.

If you want to know the commands in Riivolution they're available here.

And this is the template for Tatsunoko vs Capcom to get you started.

I'm not aware of any actual tutorials that guide you through making XML files specifically for riivolution, but there are many resources on the web to help you learn the XML format.

EDIT: Also don't forget guys, riivolution v1.03 can run without SD cards using XML and other files straight from your computer. This has become a time saver for me.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
that's an awful lot of terms and words you have to know for making XMLs. I just want to make a XML that makes Riivolution load different folders, like how the Brawlmods do. I'll go over it and hopefully understand all of it x_x
Thanks for the .brsar, it works great! Can you tell me about merging the CSS into the common5.pac? I see how that would work, I checked 'em out in Brawlbox, the two files look exactly the same but I dunno which files to replace. Would this be the same way in getting a SSS background texture working? (both Dark Flaming Blue select screens)

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
please help me out in this one:

Code:
<Namq> idk how to separate Brawl+, Brawl- and/or Vbrawl with riivolution >.<
<Namq> do I need to create inside of smashmods folder a Brawl+ folder and put inside it the pf folder for brawl+?
<Namq> or I need to put inside of X:/brawlmods/brawlplus/ all the below stuff
<Namq> Folders --> Fighter, info, info2, menu, menu2, module, stage, system?
I tried finding help on the Brawl+ IIRC but it was dead on that moment, I really need this as I'm making projects which has filesize limit, and only riivolution can make them work

Thanks in advance

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
please help me out in this one:

Code:
<Namq> idk how to separate Brawl+, Brawl- and/or Vbrawl with riivolution >.<
<Namq> do I need to create inside of smashmods folder a Brawl+ folder and put inside it the pf folder for brawl+?
<Namq> or I need to put inside of X:/brawlmods/brawlplus/ all the below stuff
<Namq> Folders --> Fighter, info, info2, menu, menu2, module, stage, system?
I tried finding help on the Brawl+ IIRC but it was dead on that moment, I really need this as I'm making projects which has filesize limit, and only riivolution can make them work

Thanks in advance
Are you trying to use Bionic Sonic's XML? If that's the case, you'll want your folders structured using brawlplus as the root, so brawlmods/brawlplus/fighter, brawlmods/brawlplus/info, etc.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
@Dr.Mario84 well... only if that's fine with you. I dont need to do this but it would make things way more convenient :laugh:
ok... what I'm thinking is... I have 3 or 4 different folders inside my TVCUAS folder. each folder has its own seperate and different music files. so then when I start up Riivolution with TvC, it'll give me the "choice" to choose whichever music folder I want to load. Just like playing brawl and loading whichever mod you want to play when you start Riivolution. You see where I'm going? I'm looking for multiple music replacements pretty much, because each stage in TvC has only 1 song unlike Brawl. Trying to put more than 1 song in each stage. it's not all at once but I'm fine with it cuz I'm not listening to the same thing over and over again. ._. I know you didn't say you'd do the entire XML for me, but if you do, dont work too much on it... I'll feel bad/guilty o.O I'd work on the whole thing if I knew how...
If this is off topic then lets continue this in PMs/VMs. not even sure if this is possible in the first place, but it would be awesome if I could get this to work. it was just something I was thinking about doing :p I'm not trying to use Ocarina codes with it, I only care about music replacement for TvC.

NAMQ_DrunkeNFeasT

Smash Journeyman
Are you trying to use Bionic Sonic's XML? If that's the case, you'll want your folders structured using brawlplus as the root, so brawlmods/brawlplus/fighter, brawlmods/brawlplus/info, etc.
thanks, it worked ^^

but, the Brawlplus, intro screen (buffer, and all) didn't showed up :O can you help?

that was the file that is supposed to be in pfmenu2

I like Hozu's better personally. But Bio's supports more files and P:M (heheheh).
is that one in the OP? HOzu's XML file?

how/why it is better?

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
@Dr.Mario84 well... only if that's fine with you. I dont need to do this but it would make things way more convenient :laugh:
ok... what I'm thinking is... I have 3 or 4 different folders inside my TVCUAS folder. each folder has its own seperate and different music files. so then when I start up Riivolution with TvC, it'll give me the "choice" to choose whichever music folder I want to load. Just like playing brawl and loading whichever mod you want to play when you start Riivolution. You see where I'm going? I'm looking for multiple music replacements pretty much, because each stage in TvC has only 1 song unlike Brawl. Trying to put more than 1 song in each stage. it's not all at once but I'm fine with it cuz I'm not listening to the same thing over and over again. ._. I know you didn't say you'd do the entire XML for me, but if you do, dont work too much on it... I'll feel bad/guilty o.O I'd work on the whole thing if I knew how...
If this is off topic then lets continue this in PMs/VMs. not even sure if this is possible in the first place, but it would be awesome if I could get this to work. it was just something I was thinking about doing :p I'm not trying to use Ocarina codes with it, I only care about music replacement for TvC.
This isn't a very difficult task, mate. The following is the template provided from Riivolution.
Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
	<id game="STK" />
	<options>
		<section name="Testing">
			<option name="/TVC Replacement">
				<choice name="Enabled">
					<patch id="tvcfolder" />
				</choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>
	<patch id="tvcfolder">
		<folder external="/tvc" recursive="false" />
		<folder external="/tvc" disc="/" />
	</patch>
</wiidisc>
What I need now before I can continue with this is the file paths on the disc itself. I don't actually own the game so I don't know what goes where. If you or anybody else knows where to obtain these, that would be appreciated so I can finish guiding you.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
What I need now before I can continue with this is the file paths on the disc itself. I don't actually own the game so I don't know what goes where. If you or anybody else knows where to obtain these, that would be appreciated so I can finish guiding you.
ok, in the iso, all music files for TvC are in iso:/snd/stream/us
the music files are the SSD files, which are actual music files you'll hear in-game, basically like brstms, and the "bgm.srt" I think enables the SSD files to work... It's the most important file. If you need to get 'em for whatever reason then they're in here.
When you use Riivolution for this, you put everything in SD:\TVCUAS
Riivolution stuff for TvC is in here.

Thanks for helping me out!

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
ok, in the iso, all music files for TvC are in iso:/snd/stream/us
the music files are the SSD files, which are actual music files you'll hear in-game, basically like brstms, and the "bgm.srt" I think enables the SSD files to work... It's the most important file. If you need to get 'em for whatever reason then they're in here.
When you use Riivolution for this, you put everything in SD:\TVCUAS
Riivolution stuff for TvC is in here.

Thanks for helping me out!
You've tried this before, right? I take it it works if you create the file path /snd/stream/us. All of the SSD files are bunched in there along with the bgm.srt?

The readme makes it sound as though you can just place the SSD files in the TVCUAS folder without making a file path, which sounds odd to me. Does doing that really work?

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
You've tried this before, right? I take it it works if you create the file path /snd/stream/us. All of the SSD files are bunched in there along with the bgm.srt?

The readme makes it sound as though you can just place the SSD files in the TVCUAS folder without making a file path, which sounds odd to me. Does doing that really work?
It works, yeah to your last question. Its the same with Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii... no paths or anything, just put the stuff in the game's folder at the root.
I've been using music hax for TvC for a while, it works no problem. I'm just trying to use multiple custom soundtracks selectable in Riivolution .
the SSD files do go in the same folder with the bgm.srt. it's all in SD:\TVCUAS. If you dont have to use the /snd/stream/us path, then nevermind it. XD I thought you had to use it in order to get the XML to work... I was thinking of putting like 4 different folders in the TVCUAS folder, each with their own different songs, and being able to choose 'em in Riivolution by making them choices in the XML.

Really sorry for replying so slowly >.>

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
It works, yeah to your last question. Its the same with Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii... no paths or anything, just put the stuff in the game's folder at the root.
I've been using music hax for TvC for a while, it works no problem. I'm just trying to use multiple custom soundtracks selectable in Riivolution .
the SSD files do go in the same folder with the bgm.srt. it's all in SD:\TVCUAS. If you dont have to use the /snd/stream/us path, then nevermind it. XD I thought you had to use it in order to get the XML to work... I was thinking of putting like 4 different folders in the TVCUAS folder, each with their own different songs, and being able to choose 'em in Riivolution by making them choices in the XML.

Really sorry for replying so slowly >.>
I never tried that sort of thing so I never knew it was possible. If that's the case, this should be a since for you to get the hang of.

Now I can start hlpeing you out. What's going to be most important is the patch itself which won't be very different at all. With a simple change we'll be ready to go.

Code:
<patch id="music">
	<folder external="/TVCUAS/{$folder}" recursive="true" />
	<folder external="/TVCUAS/{$folder}" disc="/" />
</patch>
The {$folder} part of this is going to be changeable in the earlier sections of the XML. You will want to change it to the name of a folder in TVCUAS which has the music files you want to select. The folders will serve as your playlists. To swap between your folders you're going to primarily use choices.

Code:
<choice name="Playlist 1">
	<param name="folder" value="aFolder"/>
	<patch id="music"/>
</choice>
That is an example of using choices. For every folder you have, you are going to copy and paste the choices in the correct section and change the value "aFolder" to the name of a folder in TVCUAS. Your code is going to look like this in the end.
Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
	<id game="STK" />
	<options>
		<section name="Music Patches">
			<option name="Custom Music">
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                            <choice name="Playlist 2">
                                <param name="folder" value="anotherFolder"/>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                            <choice name="Playlist 3">
                                <param name="folder" value="yetAnotherFolder"/>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>
	<patch id="music">
        </patch>
</wiidisc>
I hope you understood this well and I hope this does work for you. If it doesn't, please let me know and I'll be happy to work out the bugs with you.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Wow, thanks a lot dude. I understand everything, and I added a fourth playlist too. :p
The $folder part confuses me though... What do you mean by "The {$folder} part of this is going to be changeable in the earlier sections of the XML."? Do all the playlists go in that folder? So it would be SD:/TVCUAS/Playlists/(playlists go in here)?
If I follow that, I rename the $folder inside TVCUAS into "playlists", right?
I'll try it out when I know that I set everything up accordingly :psycho:

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
Wow, thanks a lot dude. I understand everything, and I added a fourth playlist too. :p
The $folder part confuses me though... What do you mean by "The {$folder} part of this is going to be changeable in the earlier sections of the XML."? Do all the playlists go in that folder? So it would be SD:/TVCUAS/Playlists/(playlists go in here)?
If I follow that, I rename the $folder inside TVCUAS into "playlists", right?
I'll try it out when I know that I set everything up accordingly :psycho:
If you look at my final XML block, {$folder} is changed in the upper portion but it actually used in the lower portion. That's what I mean.

And that folder will serve as the playlist for your files. So you put all of your song files into a folder placed in the TVCUAS folder.

The value part of this line is what makes {$folder} changeable.
Code:
Right now with the value is "aFolder", which means it will go looking through the path /TVCUAS/aFolder and stop there to look for your sound files in a folder called aFolder.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
argh. I really can't tell what your trying to tell me.
It's half working though. I renamed the two "$folder"s at the bottom of your XML to my "aFolder", (is that what i'm supposed to do?) and when I start the game with Riivolution, it loads the songs from my "aFolder" successfully... but when I choose to load any other folder, (like your "AnotherFolder") it still loads the songs from my "aFolder". the Music Replacement works and all, but it's just loading the wrong songs when I want it to load others.
Everything is loading the files from "aFolder". How do I get it to load another playlist? If I were to put ALL my files into sd:\TVCUAS\aFolder, they would just overwrite each other. My other folders/playlists are in inside SD:\TVCUAS\aFolder. (wrong place?) each folder has their own music files in 'em... I'm sure my music files aren't duplicates.

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
argh. I really can't tell what your trying to tell me.
It's half working though. I renamed the two "$folder"s at the bottom of your XML to my "aFolder", (is that what i'm supposed to do?) and when I start the game with Riivolution, it loads the songs from my "aFolder" successfully... but when I choose to load any other folder, (like your "AnotherFolder") it still loads the songs from my "aFolder". the Music Replacement works and all, but it's just loading the wrong songs when I want it to load others.
Everything is loading the files from "aFolder". How do I get it to load another playlist? If I were to put ALL my files into sd:\TVCUAS\aFolder, they would just overwrite each other. My other folders/playlists are in inside SD:\TVCUAS\aFolder. (wrong place?) each folder has their own music files in 'em... I'm sure my music files aren't duplicates.
Can I see the XML file you're using?

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
	<id game="STK" />
	<options>
			<option name="Custom Music">
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
<choice name="Playlist 4">
	<param name="folder" value="JPN TvC"/>
	<patch id="music"/>
</choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>
	<patch id="music">
            <folder external="/TVCUAS/aFolder" recursive="true" />
            <folder external="/TVCUAS/aFolder" disc="/" />
        </patch>
</wiidisc>
I'm really not sure what to do with the $folder pretty much XD

Dr.Mario84

Smash Cadet
Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
	<id game="STK" />
	<options>
			<option name="]Custom Music">
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
<choice name="Playlist 4">
	<param name="folder" value="JPN TvC"/>
	<patch id="music"/>
</choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>
	<patch id="music">
            <folder external="/TVCUAS/aFolder" recursive="true" />
            <folder external="/TVCUAS/aFolder" disc="/" />
        </patch>
</wiidisc>
I'm really not sure what to do with the $folder pretty much XD
I'm sorry I confused you. I meant for you to copy my patch exactly the way it was. Please use this XML.

Code:
<wiidisc version="1">
	<id game="STK" />
	<options>
		<section name="[COLOR="yellow"]Music Patches[/COLOR]">
			<option name="[COLOR="yellow"]Custom Music[/COLOR]">
                            <choice name="[COLOR="yellow"]Playlist 1[/COLOR]">
                                <param name="folder" value="[COLOR="Yellow"]aFolder[/COLOR]"/>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                            <choice name="[COLOR="yellow"]Playlist 2[/COLOR]">
                                <param name="folder" value="[COLOR="Yellow"]anotherFolder[/COLOR]"/>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                            </choice>
                            <choice name="[COLOR="yellow"]Playlist 3[/COLOR]">
                                <param name="folder" value="[COLOR="Yellow"]yetAnotherFolder[/COLOR]"/>
                                <patch id="music"/>
                              </choice>
                              <choice name="[COLOR="yellow"]Playlist 4[/COLOR]">
	                          <param name="folder" value="[COLOR="yellow"]JPN TvC[/COLOR]"/>
	                          <patch id="music"/>
                              </choice>
			</option>
		</section>
	</options>
[COLOR="Red"]	<patch id="music">
        </patch>[/COLOR]
</wiidisc>
What you can change is in Yellow. What you shouldn't touch is in Red.

FireKirby7

Smash Lord
oh snap it works now! :D Just tested all of my playlists and they worked fine! It started working once I got that XML and moved all my playlist folders to TVCUAS. seems that XML was the right one the entire time lol. :embarrass
Thanks for bearing with me and helping out with pretty much everything :laugh: this'll convince me make more playlists... But for now, I wait for TvC textures... thanks again

Hozu

Smash Journeyman
that's an awful lot of terms and words you have to know for making XMLs. I just want to make a XML that makes Riivolution load different folders, like how the Brawlmods do. I'll go over it and hopefully understand all of it x_x
Thanks for the .brsar, it works great! Can you tell me about merging the CSS into the common5.pac? I see how that would work, I checked 'em out in Brawlbox, the two files look exactly the same but I dunno which files to replace. Would this be the same way in getting a SSS background texture working? (both Dark Flaming Blue select screens)
You simply open up common5.pac, look for sc_selectcharacter (might have _en at the end of it), right-click and choose import. You then choose the custom sc_selectcharacter.pac file you have. The reason you have to do this is because the game loads the everything from common5.pac, even though the individual .pac files are also on the disc. PW's File Patch Code tells the game to load from the individual .pac files rather then common5.pac.

Remember to have any codes the custom CSS needs.

Izaniki

Smash Apprentice
Trying over with Hozu's XML+guide. Will see how it works.

Side note: are there any known problems with using Riivolution on a regular SD card (2 gb) and playing WiFi against someone who isn't using Riivolution? My friend and I could play like 4 matches before it froze on the waiting room. Never happened before offline :(

That's the main reason I have to redo all of my stuff, cause it just wasn't working out :(

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
does it support codes and the whole snap like .rel files etc? if so, yes please! :D

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
@izaniki: Ignore I shall then.

@michi: So do I need to copy and paste some lines to tell it which files to patch and which ones not too? or will it just patch everything at once how it is now?

EDIT: never mind, got it working, but for some reason any stages that use .rels I use crash and burn on me... no biggy though. atleast the music works. ^.^

Darkmega

Smash Apprentice
hahahaha... frick... how do I make pal versions of em? I probably have a rough idea where I can find em but wouldn't PAL rels be different to edit?

Top Bottom