• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Riivolution Q&A and Help Thread

Oninova

Smash Cadet
I've tried that too, but it didn't work. Maybe vbrawl is in the wrong folder? (it's just in brawlmods) It'd be much easier for someone running those hacks and Riivolution just to post a screenshot or an exact file path of all their files on their SD card in order for this to work...

The code for tags in replays is also the PAL one if it makes a difference.

Oninova

Smash Cadet
Bumping again. Sawwwry, it's just that there might be someone around right now who has an answer. And I've been trying to find a solution to this for hours...

EDIT: Never mind, I finally got it! For anyone else who has encounters the same problem, I'll post what I did just in case:
Basically follow every step in this post, up until where you download a file called RSBP.XML.xml. You'll find it's actually a .txt file, (something that took me unnaturally long to notice and fix) and that pasting it into your Riivolution folder as instructed won't do squat. So, simply convert into an .xml, or, you could download it already as I thought I'd take the liberty to upload a copy myself in return for all my incessant noob-ishness, if it's any consolation. You can get it here. Then just follow the rest of those directions. Thanks for the help guys.

LordshadowRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
How do you get PW's stage expansion system to work for riivolution? I put the .rel files and stage files, but just get the buzz of death.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
How do you get PW's stage expansion system to work for riivolution? I put the .rel files and stage files, but just get the buzz of death.
You will need to modify the .xml to say this:
<file external="/brawlmods/custom1/stage/melee/STGCUSTOM01.pac" disc="/stage/melee/STGCUSTOM01.pac" create="true" />

And you will need one of these for every custom stage.

Ultraxwing

Smash Ace
Question, Is there a better version for Riivolution? one that allows the STage Exspansin Code 2.0 to work, and allow you modify the characters that transform like Samus/Zss/Bowser/Zelda/Sheik?

Hikaru Kagi

Smash Rookie
Hello,

I got a question, when I load up Riivolution, it works just fine, but after I pick my character at the character select screen, and when i click start for the stage select to pop up, it freezes, what am I doing wrong? (and just to let you know,I'm not completely new at this, I've been hacking bawl for a while, but circumstances in RL came up, and I haven't done anything in a while, then I see this new program Riivolution, and have no idea how to use it :urg: )

agoaj

Smash Cadet
Hello,

I got a question, when I load up Riivolution, it works just fine, but after I pick my character at the character select screen, and when i click start for the stage select to pop up, it freezes, what am I doing wrong? (and just to let you know,I'm not completely new at this, I've been hacking bawl for a while, but circumstances in RL came up, and I haven't done anything in a while, then I see this new program Riivolution, and have no idea how to use it :urg: )
Maybe you should try my file replacement program, it makes the riivolution xml file for you.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Technically I'm editing a game other than Brawl right now, but how do I get Riivolution to read my gameconfig.txt? Gecko picks it up automatically, but Riivolution doesn't seem to.

Is character limit a factor to what Riivolution will accept? Because the gameconfig I'm holding is pretty huge.

colonelmcdoogle

Smash Rookie
Not working??

I recently downloaded riivolution in addition to multiple other programs to attempt to run these game mods on my wii. Seemed fun. Buuut I can't get anything to work. No matter what whenever I open riivolution it just says "/ssbb replacement " with and enable/disable option that does nothing when switch to enable. My Riivolution folder is in my apps folder and contains the following files:
boot.elf
icon.png
meta.xml
modlauncher.xml
RSBE.xml
SSBBtemplate.xml
and a config folder containing RSBE.xml
Keep in mind I'm that the riivolution file is in my apps foolder in my SD card's root and I'm using the homebrew channel. I will provide additional information if this is not enough to fix my issue. Its just hard to find everything I need to do this for some reason. No one person can tell me everything I have to do to get it to work. Thank you!

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
I recently downloaded riivolution in addition to multiple other programs to attempt to run these game mods on my wii. Seemed fun. Buuut I can't get anything to work. No matter what whenever I open riivolution it just says "/ssbb replacement " with and enable/disable option that does nothing when switch to enable. My Riivolution folder is in my apps folder and contains the following files:
boot.elf
icon.png
meta.xml
modlauncher.xml
RSBE.xml
SSBBtemplate.xml
and a config folder containing RSBE.xml
Keep in mind I'm that the riivolution file is in my apps foolder in my SD card's root and I'm using the homebrew channel. I will provide additional information if this is not enough to fix my issue. Its just hard to find everything I need to do this for some reason. No one person can tell me everything I have to do to get it to work. Thank you!
What does it say in your XML?

Depster

Smash Champion
For some reason, riivolution was deleted on my wii. I reinstalled it, but now the blue light on my wii flashes incessantly... Anybody know what I need to change?

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
The blue light flashes to show you that Riivolution is reading a replacement file from your sd card atm. For instance at the character screen it will flash when you choose character will texture hacks but not as those without. The reason it would be flashing constantly would be because its loading custom music.

Its meant to be a helpful addition

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
hey i just installed riivolution
and got everything from my old "private" folder to work except for the strapen file and my stage selection screen and character selection screen textures to work.
the main selection screen works now its just those.
i put the SSS and the CSS pac files in the menu2 riivolution folder and theyre still not working
can someone help with this? and the strap file in the "menu" folder and its not working

Damix91

Smash Journeyman
Depends if your NTSC or Pal

StrapEn has to go in /menu/strap/StrapEN.pac. Dunno about Pal. I think pal is /menu2/ sc_strap.pac

For CSS and SSS Pal you just put the files in pf/menu2 rather than /pfmenu2

For NTSC i think you might need to integrate them into pf/system/common5.pac using Brawlbox. Not entirely sure though

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
Does anyone know how to setup Riivoution's network code [link] to work from a private local computer. I've gotten the wii to make a connection and attempt to load files, but it crashes pretty fast on the character select screen.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
ok guys i replaced the files
sc_selcharacter_en
sc_selmap_en
in the common5_en with the ones i wanted (started with a new common5 btw 11.6 MB)
and it only rearranged the character portraits nothing with the background or any of that
in fact it made my common5_en.pac file smaller lol (11.3 MB)
any help guys?

MetroidMaster1

Smash Apprentice
okay...wasn't there a Rivolution setup that lets you load your stuff the way the SD loader code does? Only it supports sound effects?

Could someone link me to that please, thankyou :)
I want to make a sound pack for Lee since I'm planning a full psa and I know you guys don't feel like hearing all of Links sounds. (personally I don't either)

Wyte1000

Smash Rookie
Im having some trouble.
Im using the regular Modlauncher XML, and im trying to get some codes working for regular "Brawl with codes". Where do I put RSBE01.gct?

Wyte1000

Smash Rookie
Wii freezes when I boot anything but Brawl+ on Riivolution

My Wii freezes when I boot anything but Brawl+ on Riivolution . It just started doing this one day and I don't know why. I've tried everything I can think of, someone PLEASE help!

megazig

Smash Rookie
would anyone from either the modlauncher creation group or one or more of the brawl mod teams please join me on #rvlution on irc.freenode.net

I get people asking questions sometimes and would like to know a few answers myself to better help people get these mods going with riivolution.

nice work to everyone who has done the work on these mods, btw

--megazig

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
Need help with Riivo

Having problems with Riivolution. After every game when it's supposed to go back to the title screen the game freezes on the black loading screen. I'm on the PAL version of Smash Bros and I'm using a few codes as well as the XML patcher.

My codes:
[COLLAPSE="Codes"]
RSBP01
Smash Bros Brawl

Notrip
* 04817B68 C0220020
* 045AB110 00000000

Infinite repaly
* 040E771C 60000000
* 0494EBF0 60000000
* 0494EC90 60000000

Tagsreplay
* 0404BE7C 38A00000

3dpuse
* 040A9424 4E800020
* 0410B4E0 38800001

CSS [spunit262, ported by Tomie]
* 0667A88C 00000030
* 387E006C 3B600000
* 3C808068 38848560
* 7CBB20AE 7CA50775
* 41800014 94A30004
* 3B7B0001 2C1B0032
* 4180FFE8 48000038
* 04687B64 48000068
* 06687904 00000008
* 2C170028 41820168
* 02678560 0022FFFF
* 06678560 0000002D
* 00090D0C 02240E0F
* 14051501 1A280304
* 11210616 1F282928
* 0713250B 190A1828
* 12221017 1B1D1E1C
* 23200826 27000000

Regular Zelda Icon (CSS) [spunit262 ported by Deathwolf]
* 04687914 60000000

CSS fixes for Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Shiek V2 [spunit262, ported by Tomie]
* 8068B560 38800004
* 0668B57C 00000008
* 38000000 3880000F
* 04687914 60000000
* 0468F788 60000000
* 0468F71C 60000000

[/COLLAPSE]

Timsane

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to install riivolution with a usb stick rather than an SD card? I lost my SD card is why I'm asking.

On a side note I already have Homebrew installed and up to date. But I installed it when I had my SD card.

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
Is it possible to install riivolution with a usb stick rather than an SD card? I lost my SD card is why I'm asking.

On a side note I already have Homebrew installed and up to date. But I installed it when I had my SD card.
There's probably some sort of USB loader application you could get and then install it like that, I don't know any but if you search Wii Hack USB Loader something should come up.

Oldeeber

Smash Cadet
ok, so i downloaded project M and im using riivolution. I wanted to put melee fox textures in, so i put the downloaded FitFox00.pac and FitFox00.pcs in the brawlmods/projectm/fighter/fox folder and there is already a FitFox.pac and FitFoxMotionEtc.pac file and i DIDNT replace them, and i still cant get the textures to load. i also cant seem to get any of my own brstm's to work either but i can get stage replacement to work. im using a possibly(?) old version of riivolution so idk if thats the problem or not. it would be REALLY helpful if some1 could help me out, cuz i got it to work with demo 1 but not demo 2.

Timsane

Smash Rookie
There's probably some sort of USB loader application you could get and then install it like that, I don't know any but if you search Wii Hack USB Loader something should come up.
Well all clues point to "No" unless theres an exploit already installed to read from the usb stick so looks like I'll be waiting till I buy a new one. Thanks for the help tho!

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
ok, so i downloaded project M and im using riivolution. I wanted to put melee fox textures in, so i put the downloaded FitFox00.pac and FitFox00.pcs in the brawlmods/projectm/fighter/fox folder and there is already a FitFox.pac and FitFoxMotionEtc.pac file and i DIDNT replace them, and i still cant get the textures to load. i also cant seem to get any of my own brstm's to work either but i can get stage replacement to work. im using a possibly(?) old version of riivolution so idk if thats the problem or not. it would be REALLY helpful if some1 could help me out, cuz i got it to work with demo 1 but not demo 2.
Are you using the right XML? On the XML download page the 2nd one is the one that uses the file structure like the file patch code, this is the one I use and it will load textures etc. Try this out and if that doesn't work just use the File Patch Code 3.5.1 (not sure if there's a newer version) with Gecko, you can't do as much stuff but it still does BRSTMs and textures, models etc. Everything except funky CSS screens and changing the movies.

Maybe just try changing the folder tree so it's private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/fighter/fox as this is the usual file structure (if you're NTSC-U, if PAL then you want RSBP and if NTSC-J you want RSBJ).

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Do any XMLs exist that replace files based on Brawl's ISO file structure, like the file patch code does?

Also, about Bionic's XML, it seems inconsistent. It says textures go in SD:/brawlmods/textures/fighter. But just above that, it says you should have folders like SD:/brawlmods/vbrawl/fighter, which is more like the file patch code's setup. Which is it?

Also, does that code not support replacing every type of file? It only seems to mention a handful of things.

EDIT: Well, the post right above mine says the second XML in the OP follows the file patc code structure, so that answers my first question and makes the ones about Bionic's XML moot.

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
Do any XMLs exist that replace files based on Brawl's ISO file structure, like the file patch code does?

Also, about Bionic's XML, it seems inconsistent. It says textures go in SD:/brawlmods/textures/fighter. But just above that, it says you should have folders like SD:/brawlmods/vbrawl/fighter, which is more like the file patch code's setup. Which is it?

Also, does that code not support replacing every type of file? It only seems to mention a handful of things.

EDIT: Well, the post right above mine says the second XML in the OP follows the file patc code structure, so that answers my first question and makes the ones about Bionic's XML moot.
The XML does support more types of replacements than the file patch code, for instance you can do more with CSSes and you can replace movies so it's better if you can get it working. Unfortunately mine breaks, I may have to work out how the other XML is structured so I can use that one instead but most guides just tell you the file patch structure.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Do any XMLs exist that are set up to replace EVERY file? Because the ones I see in the OP seem to only include "regular" stuff like textures, music, common5, and so on. Hozu's and Bionic's seem to leave quite a lot unsupported.

Second question, for editing an existing XML. I can just imitate the structure of an existing line, modify the file paths, and paste it in, right? Then I should have myself a new, working replacement.

If that's true, I'm going to write an XML set up to replace everything. Bonus question... The XML description from Hozu mentioned that sc_selcharacter is not needed (not used?) when using Riivolution. Why? What other files are similarly unnecessary/ignored?

Third, also about editing. Riivolution will only replace by file, not by folder, correct?

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
Do any XMLs exist that are set up to replace EVERY file? Because the ones I see in the OP seem to only include "regular" stuff like textures, music, common5, and so on. Hozu's and Bionic's seem to leave quite a lot unsupported.

Second question, for editing an existing XML. I can just imitate the structure of an existing line, modify the file paths, and paste it in, right? Then I should have myself a new, working replacement.

If that's true, I'm going to write an XML set up to replace everything. Bonus question... The XML description from Hozu mentioned that sc_selcharacter is not needed (not used?) when using Riivolution. Why? What other files are similarly unnecessary/ignored?

Third, also about editing. Riivolution will only replace by file, not by folder, correct?
Sorry, I have no idea about any of this stuff but if you do make a new XML you should post it, sure it would help tons of people.

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
I finally get it. So much for needing help.

Basically, the reason why it looks like those XMLs only replace a few things is because there's no need to specify most replacements. Most of them get taken care of by (for example) Hozu's <folder external="/private/wii/app/RSBE/shared/" disc="/" />, which takes all files and folders you've got in /shared, and swaps them for the analogous files in the root of the disc. The reason why any of them are listed specifically is because the code assumes people have been removing the _en from a lot of their files because the file patch code demanded it, and those lines are just a fallback in case the replacement of them didn't work from the <folder external="/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/" disc="/" /> line. At least, I assume they're just a fallback. If you do have a FitCaptain01_en.pcs, it should be properly swapped by <folder external="/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/" disc="/" /> and you won't need <file external="/private/wii/app/RSBE/shared/fighter/captain/FitCaptain01.pcs" disc="/fighter/captain/FitCaptain01_en.pcs"/>.

About that last example, though, I'd like to point out that Hozu's code won't replace the .pac for FitCaptain01 unless _en is in the filename! There should be a <file external="/private/wii/app/RSBE/shared/fighter/captain/FitCaptain01.pac" disc="/fighter/captain/FitCaptain01_en.pac"/> in there, too.

Anyway, it looks like there's really no need for me to release any new XML. The one I'm making for myself is just a stripped-down version of Hozu's that fixes the FitCaptain01.pac problem and removes all the mod support (since I only play regular Brawl).

All problems solved. Thanks for the
complete lack of
help.

cubbydebry

Smash Rookie
Confused!!

Hey sorry this thread is kind of old, and im not sure where to go for help. I have been trying to get custom textures to load for the last three days. I cant figure out for the life of me where my codes go. Could someone post a sd card rootmap or some list of the files in each folder so I know where the file patcher codes go?
:cry::mad::cry:

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
Hey sorry this thread is kind of old, and im not sure where to go for help. I have been trying to get custom textures to load for the last three days. I cant figure out for the life of me where my codes go. Could someone post a sd card rootmap or some list of the files in each folder so I know where the file patcher codes go?
:cry::mad::cry:
If you're using riivolution then you need a folder called riivolution on the main root of your SD. Inside the riivolution folder goes your XML. I also have a codehandler and some config files in there but I think these are created by riivolution. You also need the boot.elf of riivolution as well as a couple of other files in your apps folder (these need to be in another folder called riivolution).

Go here for more help: http://forums.kc-mm.com/index.php?topic=12169.0

Top Bottom