• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Remember that "OFFICIAL THREAD" at NeoGAF?

There are 16 slots with an ? in the Unlockable Characters section.
And (I've counted) we only had 12.
Either this was a mistake or there are 4 characters that must be unlocked in a different way.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Still a 300$ perchase that nobody wants to do for a few characters.
Not at all. It would mean connecting to ANY Wii U or 3DS, meaning the player would not have to buy either system because they could connect with someone else's .

But at this point, I don't think Nintendo really cares about this issue, they need those Wii U sales.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace

Either this was a mistake or there are 4 characters that must be unlocked in a different way.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Not at all. It would mean connecting to ANY Wii U or 3DS, meaning the player would not have to buy either system because they could connect with someone else's .

But at this point, I don't think Nintendo really cares about this issue, they need those Wii U sales.
It's not even that the Wii U is bad. There's just bad stigma, as others in the thread have demonstrated. But regardless, the competitive scene for the game WILL be on the Wii U. The 3DS is more of an "early access" kinda deal to people who are actually going to be playing this years down the road.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
It's not even that the Wii U is bad. There's just bad stigma, as others in the thread have demonstrated. But regardless, the competitive scene for the game WILL be on the Wii U. The 3DS is more of an "early access" kinda deal to people who are actually going to be playing this years down the road.
If this is true, then Super Smash Bros for Wii U will have the smallest competitive scene. I doubt that the instal base plus some change will make a big community.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
If this is true, then Super Smash Bros for Wii U will have the smallest competitive scene. I doubt that the instal base plus some change will make a big community.
The ability to use the Gamecube controller, hell even having a c stick off the bat, and the easier streaming is going to solidify it. It has nothing to do with the install base. Competitive communities are not that big. Also, the Wii U already has a large enough install base to encompass the entire Smash competitive community, brawl and melee combined. Again, install base means very, very little win it comes to competitive communities.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

There's 4 empty spots on the CSS, but no character fills them.

Sakurai is in full control and said something like this wouldn't happen. Nintendo's bigwigs are smart enough to not step on Sakurai's toes.

Lol, casuals will play this for years. I know I did.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is in full control and said something like this wouldn't happen. Nintendo's bigwigs are smart enough to not step on Sakurai's toes.
Years ago. His opinion can always change.
Nintendo is in full control as always. I'm pretty sure that Iwata asked for Sakurai to make a Wii U version.

MugenLord

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MugenLord
3DS FC
4339-2485-7226
I won't say its far fetch but I recall that there will be some type of connectivity between the two from what Sakurai said through previous interviews. I'm not saying this is true but I can see Nintendo pulling something like this but they would probably make the characters purchasable through DLC. This was something similar to what Capcom did with Street FighterxTekken for PSP Vita, the Vita version included all 12 new DLC characters and if you purchased that version you were able to unlock all of the characters on your console version but if you didn't want the Vita version you could just purchase them through DLC.

This would be for players who are buying both anyway, so why spend extra for DLC on top of you buying the other version when you can be rewarded for simply buying the game twice.

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Issues =/= wasn't possible. Rosalina, remember? Until Sakurai comes out and says it wasn't possible because of the 3DS, you can't prove it. He even said "like the ICs," so we don't even know if Sakurai tried them in specific.
Just like you can't prove this:
It's the other way around. The Wii U version came second, and cut into SSB3D. The ICs being cut could of been the result of not being able to properly balance the game.
And yes, I do know there was more to your post (as in that you mention that we don't really know, but bear with me for a moment).

All I pointed out was that Sakurai had stated that developing Ice Climbers was a problem and guesstimated that it ate up too much development time, so they might have been dropped. Whatever, there's no point in arguing this. That will just further derail the topic.
Still a 300$ perchase that nobody wants to do for a few characters.
>Implies that nobody will buy the Wii U version
*end poorly designed attempt at humor and pointing out flaws in other poster's logic*:awesome:
It would mean connecting to ANY Wii U or 3DS, meaning the player would not have to buy either system because they could connect with someone else's .
I'll just repost this here as an addendum/complimentary set of information to what you've already said.
Remember, Sakurai mentioned that connectivity between the two games and what it entails will be talked about at a later date. This date is still TBA at the moment. If the rumor is at least partially true, then whenever that date actually occurs, we will likely find out then.

Remember people:
It was never stated in the rumor whether or not the characters would be solely a transfer between systems or DLC or some other outcome. Additionally, no one said all of the rumored character files exist on the 3DS cart. For all we know, there are only files relating to whether or not these characters can be transferred from the Wii U game or there could be icons in the game's data like with, as previously mentioned in this thread, the Mario Kart 8 situation.
On top of this, as other users mentioned, it's possible that the extra characters could either be free/paid-for DLC that just couldn't be developed in-time for the 3DS game or could be "time-locked".

Not necessarily. We have no idea how many people will buy Sm4sh Wii U, nor how much the install base will jump come its release. You're also discounting long-term sales for both the console and game (seeing as no one can predict the future).

There's 4 empty spots on the CSS, but no character fills them.

What logic are you going by? If you mean right now, then yes. If you mean that, "No character should belong there and that there will be no changes. This is the final roster.", then you may be jumping the gun a bit.

Sakurai only said that both versions would have the same roster, not that they would be acquired in the same manner (i.e. could include transfers).
Lol, casuals will play this for years. I know I did.

So you're a casual, then?:troll:

I also suggest everyone else try to remain on topic lest this thread be closed by the mods if we're not careful.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Is it possible that it might be other characters instead of Dixie, Chorus Kids, and Mewtwo?

Because Ridley, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, and Impa(I think?) trophies are still unaccounted for.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
People are willing to buy DLC for Street fighter,Mortal kombat, and tekken but when it comes to smash.O NO THAT WON"T WORK or NINTENDO WOULDN'T DO THAT.

Logic people.Logic

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Is it possible that it might be other characters instead of Dixie, Chorus Kids, and Mewtwo?

Because Ridley, Isaac, Bandanna Dee, and Impa(I think?) trophies are still unaccounted for.
I don't recall Impa ever having a trophy in the SSB games. As for trophies of the others, I'm assuming that since there's so many trophies, they might not be known until later.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
I'm thinking the characters should be included by default on the Wii U version and unlocked via patch/update on 3DS when the Wii U version releases. That would be fair for both sides and nobody would complain.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
I don't recall Impa ever having a trophy in the SSB games. As for trophies of the others, I'm assuming that since there's so many trophies, they might not be known until later.
Impa's a bit more prominent now, so she might get a trophy.

And you're right about a lot of trophies. Last stream I saw had like 436. And there's over 600 trophies, so we've got a ways to go.

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484

And you're right about a lot of trophies. Last stream I saw had like 436. And there's over 600 trophies, so we've got a ways to go.
If we take what we saw from the ESRB footage as truth, then there are exactly 686 trophies, thus making it hard for certain characters to show up quickly.

I'm expecting a Skyward Sword-style Impa trophy. It wouldn't make sense not to have one.

What's the point of Impa? Already have Sheik.
Impa can use magic in Skyward Sword, so she would be different.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod

I never got all the trophies in Brawl or Melee and I probably won't with SSB4. Sakurai puts way too much stuff in his games. Have you seen the stuff to do in Uprising and the trading cards?! There are games I will 100% and there are games I won't. SSB is one I will never 100% for my own sanity.

What's the point of Impa? Already have Sheik.
'Cause she's a badass and we want badasses like Wolf, Ridley, Snake, Mewtwo, and Impa? Hyrule Warriors boosted her appeal while Skyward Sword made her very key to the story.

Last edited:

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
That is actually the worst thing a game developer / publisher can do. It actually brought Capcom to the brink of ruin because they continued to do this ****.
Well... This is different though... You see... its not real DLC, Its like what they did with oracle of season's/ages, you would need to buy both games to get the true ending. (capcom made that though so...)

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
Well... This is different though... You see... its not real DLC, Its like what they did with oracle of season's/ages, you would need to buy both games to get the true ending. (capcom made that though so...)
There's also an example of unlockable characters through transfer between the Mario Golf N64/GBC versions, so...not that different from this potential situation.

Edit: Not to mention that was before DLC existed, so yeah...

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
The difference is, they didn't charge you for that ending. If the stuff is already on the disk, why should I pay twice for it? But I digress...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dunno if I went through the thread already, but hasn't all this been disproven due Dixie, Mewtwo and Chorus Men existing as trophies already in the game?

NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Dunno if I went through the thread already, but hasn't all this been disproven due Dixie, Mewtwo and Chorus Men existing as trophies already in the game?
Why does a trophy deconfirm a possible character as DLC? We know for a fact that several characters (if not all of them) have multiple trophies.

SANCHOCO

Smash Apprentice
I think some people(in other threads) have argued that you could get trophies of characters(in different forms) before you played them in classic/adventure mode

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Why does a trophy deconfirm a possible character as DLC? We know for a fact that several characters (if not all of them) have multiple trophies.
Are you mistaking this for the thing where this applies to characters only if from other games? Such as Mario = Striker Mario, Paper Mario. Falco = Assault Falco, etc.
We hadn't ever had any trophies based on the characters in their Smash-versions aside from their Classic and Final Smash-trophies.

Unless you'd expect the trophies to change in text or title, it's gonna be quite a stretch to expect DLC-characters when these supposed characters you think are there exist already as trophies in the game.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
My crazy theory is that the trophies hint towards DLC characters. I mean, the models exists, so all they need to do is animate them.

Last edited:
NNID
TheSir24
3DS FC
2191-8079-5484
Are you mistaking this for the thing where this applies to characters only if from other games? Such as Mario = Striker Mario, Paper Mario. Falco = Assault Falco, etc.
We hadn't ever had any trophies based on the characters in their Smash-versions aside from their Classic and Final Smash-trophies.

Unless you'd expect the trophies to change in text or title, it's gonna be quite a stretch to expect DLC-characters when these supposed characters you think are there exist already as trophies in the game.
I've seen on a stream a trophy of Kirby using his hammer, apart from the main Kirby trophy.

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
I think the idea that the 3DS' Wii U connectivity option is solely for transferring unlocks, custom moves, Mii's, coins, ect., and possibly to use the 3DS as a controller for the Wii U version as rumored.

This is NOT to say I believe that this prevents any kind of DLC option.

These are the logical possibilities I've considered:

-Actually having the Wii U Connectivity option unlock characters that the Wii U version has, that the 3DS does not, while also offering the characters as paid DLC for 3DS players.

-Paid DLC that launches for free (or paid) the same day as the Wii U release (Nov. 21st?) for both systems.

I've heard rumors that a couple people claim they've seen in-game models for Mewtwo, Dixie, ect. Is there any credence to this? Anybody that may have some credibility?

Now that we've learned Nintendo released a Day 1 patch for Smash on 3DS, I think it's safe to assume they plan on giving it digital support. Not to mention the 2GB of dedicated memory that is just 'sitting there' not being used. I want to believe that Nintendo would like to support Smash with DLC. I really would. Their support of MK8 gives me hope, and DLC of characters like Ridley and Mewtwo would really be great ways to drum up some hype for they're struggling system.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
This basic theory going around may sound bad, but you people have to understand that the Wii U is hurting badly. It needs something cheapish like this to boost sales, no matter how unfortunate it may be.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You're accomplishing, what, exactly? You're not helping your argument. Lol, people didn't even give you a like.

Just like you can't prove this:

And yes, I do know there was more to your post (as in that you mention that we don't really know, but bear with me for a moment).

All I pointed out was that Sakurai had stated that developing Ice Climbers was a problem and guesstimated that it ate up too much development time, so they might have been dropped. Whatever, there's no point in arguing this. That will just further derail the topic.

>Implies that nobody will buy the Wii U version
*end poorly designed attempt at humor and pointing out flaws in other poster's logic*:awesome:

I'll just repost this here as an addendum/complimentary set of information to what you've already said.

On top of this, as other users mentioned, it's possible that the extra characters could either be free/paid-for DLC that just couldn't be developed in-time for the 3DS game or could be "time-locked".

Not necessarily. We have no idea how many people will buy Sm4sh Wii U, nor how much the install base will jump come its release. You're also discounting long-term sales for both the console and game (seeing as no one can predict the future).

I also suggest everyone else try to remain on topic lest this thread be closed by the mods if we're not careful.
I was talking about how Neogaf had the character topic and four slots were left, when they're really just empty slots. For the time being, I suppose.

He's said that he wouldn't show bias to those with both, also. If you're going to play the "he changed his mind" card, I can do the same and invalidate any number of arguments.

Yes, I was. We all were at some point.
People are willing to buy DLC for Street fighter,Mortal kombat, and tekken but when it comes to smash.O NO THAT WON"T WORK or NINTENDO WOULDN'T DO THAT.

Logic people.Logic
Sakurai people, Sakurai.

I'm thinking the characters should be included by default on the Wii U version and unlocked via patch/update on 3DS when the Wii U version releases. That would be fair for both sides and nobody would complain.
Except those without internet.

There's also an example of unlockable characters through transfer between the Mario Golf N64/GBC versions, so...not that different from this potential situation.

Edit: Not to mention that was before DLC existed, so yeah...
Yes it is. That unlocked generic characters, not Nintendo icons. That, that's just Mario Golf.

This basic theory going around may sound bad, but you people have to understand that the Wii U is hurting badly. It needs something cheapish like this to boost sales, no matter how unfortunate it may be.
The wii u NEEDS to sell if people get the wii u for smash this is a.bigger incentive.
Sakurai don't care about money. Sakurai just wants to make sure many people like his game and don't feel buthurt.

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330
You're accomplishing, what, exactly? You're not helping your argument. Lol, people didn't even give you a like.

I was talking about how Neogaf had the character topic and four slots were left, when they're really just empty slots. For the time being, I suppose.

He's said that he wouldn't show bias to those with both, also. If you're going to play the "he changed his mind" card, I can do the same and invalidate any number of arguments.

Yes, I was. We all were at some point.

Sakurai people, Sakurai.

Except those without internet.

Yes it is. That unlocked generic characters, not Nintendo icons. That, that's just Mario Golf.

Sakurai don't care about money. Sakurai just wants to make sure many people like his game and don't feel buthurt.
I'm not talking about samurai I'm talking about nintendo.

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I'm not talking about samurai I'm talking about nintendo.
What Themandme said.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that they worked out an agreement. Sakurai is a good guy but this is not an impossible thing.

Personally, as I've already said in this thread and somewhere else, I think there will be DLC but it will be much more fair than this. One thing I suggested was that you can buy the DLC but linking both games will give it to you free of charge. That would help sales to some degree without making a lot of people upset.

Last edited:

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
Personally, as I've already said in this thread and somewhere else, there will be DLC but it will be much more fair that this. One thing I suggested was that you can buy the DLC but linking both games will give it to you free of charge. That would help sales to some degree without making a lot of people upset.
This is my take on what their most realistic business plan would be, if DLC were to happen.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
This is my take on what their most realistic business plan would be, if DLC were to happen.
We have Mario Kart 8 DLC and it looks fine to me compared to other DLC - I'm looking at you, Call of Duty.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Personally, as I've already said in this thread and somewhere else, I think there will be DLC but it will be much more fair than this. One thing I suggested was that you can buy the DLC but linking both games will give it to you free of charge. That would help sales to some degree without making a lot of people upset.
I'm really hoping that if the DLC is done at all, it's done this way, or the way in which it's being done in Mario Kart 8. Pay a reasonable fee for some characters or content to pitch the developers a bit of respect, and be on your merry way with some new characters / content.

It's no secret that Nintendo is hurting right now, but I have a pretty hard time believing they'd actually force a new console upon their fan-base that the person potentially had 0 use for other than getting 4 characters. It would especially be terrible for people who only own a 3DS, and would have to fork over 350+ dollars for a Wii U + its version. On the other hand though, as dirty of a business scheme as this is, it would be a tasty way for a company with its back against the wall to get people to buy Wii Us. As this point, I can't help but wonder how they plan on getting people to buy the game twice as it is (people like me who are only getting the Wii U version seem to be rare). Unless the Wii U has some absolutely mind-blowing content that the 3DS version doesn't, I just don't see it happening.

Last edited:

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I'm really hoping that if the DLC is done at all, it's done this way, or the way in which it's being done in Mario Kart 8. Pay a reasonable fee for some characters or content to pitch the developers a bit of respect, and be on your merry way with some new characters / content.

It's no secret that Nintendo is hurting right now, but I have a pretty hard time believing they'd actually force a new console upon their fan-base that the person potentially had 0 use for other than getting 4 characters. It would especially be terrible for people who only own a 3DS, and would have to fork over 350+ dollars for a Wii U + its version. On the other hand though, as dirty of a business scheme as this is, it would be a tasty way for a company with its back against the wall to get people to buy Wii Us. As this point, I can't help but wonder how they plan on getting people to buy the game twice as it is (people like me who are only getting the Wii U version seem to be rare). Unless the Wii U has some absolutely mind-blowing content that the 3DS version doesn't, I just don't see it happening.
Yeah, I don't think it will happen either. My point was directed at those who are saying it just can't happen. I have a strong belief that DLC will happen and that it'll be fair.

Top Bottom