• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Remaining Characters Unlockable Through Wii U Transfer

FreeFallUp

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LuigiTroid20
3DS FC
3222-5636-5087
You're accomplishing, what, exactly? You're not helping your argument. Lol, people didn't even give you a like.
Don't be a jerk. A little debate here and now can be good. But this is no longer debate. The only ones really arguing about this at this point is us. We're doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. That is insanity. This needs to stop.

It doesn't help that several of your posts make you sound pompous and arrogant in your own "argument". At least respect the fact that some people still have hope that some more fair variation of this rumor could prove true.

As for likes, I don't really care. The only time I hope for likes is when I make a post with a lighthearted, joking tone that I hope people find funny.

Just...lighten up. You seem like you can be a reasonable person, but this is going nowhere. This thread started innocent enough until people like us started arguing like this. Discussion over on that front.

That said, at least clear up some of the following.
I was talking about how Neogaf had the character topic and four slots were left, when they're really just empty slots. For the time being, I suppose.
Makes sense.

He's said that he wouldn't show bias to those with both, also. If you're going to play the "he changed his mind" card, I can do the same and invalidate any number of arguments.
Are you referring to my point on Ice Climbers here? If so, I already said there's no point to arguing this. It derails the topic.

Yes, I was. We all were at some point.
Not exactly sure which point this line is referring to. If you're referring to my (terrible) half joke about no one buying the Wii U version, you speak for yourself. I always intended to buy both.

Yes it is. That unlocked generic characters, not Nintendo icons. That, that's just Mario Golf.
Just giving an example. It's not too much of a stretch to think Nintendo may try a modified approach to such a philosophy in this case.

Edit:
Personally, as I've already said in this thread and somewhere else, I think there will be DLC but it will be much more fair than this. One thing I suggested was that you can buy the DLC but linking both games will give it to you free of charge. That would help sales to some degree without making a lot of people upset.
Good point made. I personally figured that would be the case, but somehow forgot to phrase that correctly in my previous postings...

Second Edit:
I've heard rumors that a couple people claim they've seen in-game models for Mewtwo, Dixie, ect. Is there any credence to this? Anybody that may have some credibility?
Hope I don't come across as a jerk, but I think the first post in this thread may help you with that. Eh, but for convenience sake, I'll post the link here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=129524882&postcount=14153
Can't say whether or not it is credible in and of itself, but the poster of that leak seems to believe that his source is credible.

Last edited:

NK1046

Smash Apprentice
I personally don't believe this (even though I want to so badly) but I don't want my hopes crushed again with Ridley and Mewtwo

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
It's a smart business move and Nintendo wants Smash to sell Wii U consoles, despite what Sakurai may or may not want for Smash. You think a Japanese game developer is just going to say "No" to his boss?

I imagine the best case scenario is that the alleged "Wii U exclusive" characters would be "free" to owners of both copies of Smash games, where as if you only own the 3DS version then you have to pay for said "DLC" characters. Outside of that, I think the transfer system just makes completing the Wii U version faster if you played through the 3DS version.

Considering Pokemon has been literally doing this exclusives to one version thing for YEARS to say that characters being exclusive to one game or another is out of the question is showing how ignorant one is.

Aside from everything else said, if there is one thing people buy Super Smash Brothers games for, its the characters, and if there is one game that was meant to sell Wii U's, its Smash Brothers Wii U. It would be foolish for Nintendo to think exclusive stages and game modes alone is going to convince someone to buy the more "expensive" Smash Brothers Wii U and a Wii U console over the "cheaper" 3DS version and Smash Brothers 3DS. Ask yourself, would you?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
It's a smart business move and Nintendo wants Smash to sell Wii U consoles, despite what Sakurai may or may not want for Smash. You think a Japanese game developer is just going to say "No" to his boss?

I imagine the best case scenario is that the alleged "Wii U exclusive" characters would be "free" to owners of both copies of Smash games, where as if you only own the 3DS version then you have to pay for said "DLC" characters. Outside of that, I think the transfer system just makes completing the Wii U version faster if you played through the 3DS version.

Considering Pokemon has been literally doing this exclusives to one version thing for YEARS to say that characters being exclusive to one game or another is out of the question is showing how ignorant one is.

Aside from everything else said, if there is one thing people buy Super Smash Brothers games for, its the characters, and if there is one game that was meant to sell Wii U's, its Smash Brothers Wii U. It would be foolish for Nintendo to think exclusive stages and game modes alone is going to convince someone to buy the more "expensive" Smash Brothers Wii U and a Wii U console over the "cheaper" 3DS version and Smash Brothers 3DS. Ask yourself, would you?
Sakurai is the boss in this situation. Besides, you think a Japanese game developer not named Capcom would trample on what the director wants in his game?

JLU51306

Smash Apprentice
I think the best bet is honestly for DLC, paid or free, around the time of the Wii U release (or perhaps even later, into early spring of 2015), if anything were to happen.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Sakurai is the boss in this situation. Besides, you think a Japanese game developer not named Capcom would trample on what the director wants in his game?
No, Iwata is the boss and he has made decisions even Shigeru Miyamoto didn't agree with in the past but guess what? The legendary Miyamoto still did what he was told.

And yes, I do think a Japanese game developer not named Capcom would trample on what a Director wants. You seen the **** storm the original Final Fantasy XIV Online was?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No, Iwata is the boss and he has made decisions even Shigeru Miyamoto didn't agree with in the past but guess what? The legendary Miyamoto still did what he was told.

And yes, I do think a Japanese game developer not named Capcom would trample on what a Director wants. You seen the **** storm the original Final Fantasy XIV Online was?
Like what? Certainly nothing this big and solely for money.

Anybody will tell you SE isn't any good either.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
Like what? Certainly nothing this big and solely for money.

Anybody will tell you SE isn't any good either.
Recent interveiws has shown Shigeru Miyamoto was "against" catering to the casual game market in the Wii's life span but he did it anyway because Iwata told him to and later, helped make the Wii one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Just because Square Enix is arguably "trash" now doesn't ignore the fact that other development companies besides Capcom have been known to have internal disputes with their lead directors. Tecmo Koei is another example of this because Team Ninja's Tomonobi Itakagi was sent walking because he thought he could do whatever he wanted instead of listening to his boss. Sure, he was grabbing ass, but a direct order is a direct order regardless.

Namco could fire Harada if he didn't listen. Hideo Kojima could get let go if he didn't listen to his boss at Konami. These guys aren't rock stars, they are paid employees and you get fired if you don't do what you're told in the real world.

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
"I don't want more characters because I don't want to pay more" sorry kids that's life. You can whine and complain like kids all you want but this is something Nintendo would realistically do. Why would I buy a Wii U when the 3ds is pretty much similar?

Wii U will have Ridley, mewtwo, Dixie and Chrous kids you say? Instant buy! I can download it onto my 3ds as well!? Omg more reason to buy it!

Seriously to those whinning and saying "but I don't want to pay extra for a game that's suppose to be complete" well tough luck Hun that's life.

Is $10 really that much? That's so cheap for dlc. I do t understand why so many people are crying over more content.

Jezz the smash Fanbase is the only Fanbase that complains about more stuff. Smh

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Recent interveiws has shown Shigeru Miyamoto was "against" catering to the casual game market in the Wii's life span but he did it anyway because Iwata told him to and later, helped make the Wii one of the most successful consoles of all time.

Just because Square Enix is arguably "trash" now doesn't ignore the fact that other development companies besides Capcom have been known to have internal disputes with their lead directors. Tecmo Koei is another example of this because Team Ninja's Tomonobi Itakagi was sent walking because he thought he could do whatever he wanted instead of listening to his boss. Sure, he was grabbing ***, but a direct order is a direct order regardless.

Namco could fire Harada if he didn't listen. Hideo Kojima could get let go if he didn't listen to his boss at Konami. These guys aren't rock stars, they are paid employees and you get fired if you don't do what you're told in the real world.
We don't really know what exactly it was about or to what extent. And the Wii was more Iwata's then Miamoto's anyway.

There's a difference between never listening and not letting the boss win every time.

Sakurai hasn't worked for Nintendo or HAL for years, and one can only imagine the backlash if Sakurai were fired.

"I don't want more characters because I don't want to pay more" sorry kids that's life. You can whine and complain like kids all you want but this is something Nintendo would realistically do. Why would I buy a Wii U when the 3ds is pretty much similar?

Wii U will have Ridley, mewtwo, Dixie and Chrous kids you say? Instant buy! I can download it onto my 3ds as well!? Omg more reason to buy it!

Seriously to those whinning and saying "but I don't want to pay extra for a game that's suppose to be complete" well tough luck Hun that's life.

Is $10 really that much? That's so cheap for dlc. I do t understand why so many people are crying over more content.

Jezz the smash Fanbase is the only Fanbase that complains about more stuff. Smh
Did I ever say I was against DLC? I have said Sakurai is, however.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
We don't really know what exactly it was about or to what extent. And the Wii was more Iwata's then Miamoto's anyway.

There's a difference between never listening and not letting the boss win every time.

Sakurai hasn't worked for Nintendo or HAL for years, and one can only imagine the backlash if Sakurai were fired.
Believe it or not, you can fire a contractor if you pay him to do a job an that contractor doesn't do it. Personally, if Sakurai got fire from making Smash games I wouldn't boycot the series anymore then I did Dead or Alive 5 or Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge after Itakagi left.

Hell, the way people talk on this message board I doubt anyone would boycott Smash is Sakurai got fired. You think casuals give even CARE who makes a Smash game? I would be a little sad if Sakurai didn't make the next smash but I'd still buy it because it's Smash and the reality is, he's not going to direct them forever. Miyamoto gave up the reigns to the Legend of Zelda and I still buy those games.

Also, Nintendo is Iwata's. If he told Miyamoto to make a Mario FPS we'd all have phiranna plants firing from shoulder mounted warp pipe cannons in Team Death Match.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Believe it or not, you can fire a contractor if you pay him to do a job an that contractor doesn't do it. Personally, if Sakurai got fire from making Smash games I wouldn't boycot the series anymore then I did Dead or Alive 5 or Ninja Gaiden III: Razor's Edge after Itakagi left.

Hell, the way people talk on this message board I doubt anyone would boycott Smash is Sakurai got fired. You think casuals give even CARE who makes a Smash game? I would be a little sad if Sakurai didn't make the next smash but I'd still buy it because it's Smash and the reality is, he's not going to direct them forever. Miyamoto gave up the reigns to the Legend of Zelda and I still buy those games.

Also, Nintendo is Iwata's. If he told Miyamoto to make a Mario FPS we'd all have phiranna plants firing from shoulder mounted warp pipe cannons in Team Death Match.
The PotD is a very widely known thing, and thus, so is Sakurai. To say it would blow a bigger hole in the profits then they would gain from the DLC/character transfer would be an understatement.

Nintendo is Iwata's, and the board of directors, traditionalists that believe in standing by instead of interfering with game development, to the point of not telling devs about upcoming add-ons like the CPP.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Maybe to keep the hype going for the Wii U version?
No, I mean why would they use Link as a placeholder? He fits quite well with "Giant 80s video game franchises", and that would suggest he could just be there for that.

If all the trophies are found and there is no Ridley, Snake or another genuine playable candidate (i.e. Impa), that would be a trigger for some interesting speculation. So I would be very interested to see a full list of trophies at this point.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
The PotD is a very widely known thing, and thus, so is Sakurai. To say it would blow a bigger hole in the profits then they would gain from the DLC/character transfer would be an understatement.

Nintendo is Iwata's, and the board of directors, traditionalists that believe in standing by instead of interfering with game development, to the point of not telling devs about upcoming add-ons like the CPP.
So despite the fact Metroid Prime was created by Retro Studios instead its original director Yoshi Sakamoto, you still wanna argue this? Despite the fact Rare had nothing to do with DK Returns and Tropical freeze, you still want to argue this? Even though Miyamoto started the Legend of Zelda series and left Eiji Aounamora be director since Ocarina of Time you still want to say Sakurai not being in charge of a Smash game will affect sales? Even the Mario series has been tossed between Intelligent Systems, NR&D 4, Cameloft, and numerous other 1st and 2nd party developers you still think that affects sales? Capcom made Minish Cap. Namco is making a Pokemon game. The average consumer doesn't care who makes the damn thing Halo sells because its Halo. A studio change didn't change that. Call of Duty still sells even if it jumps between studios. Who cares who makes the product as long as it's good. Unless you have been a long time Smash fan you only recognition of Sakurai is the guy who's the director of Smash for 3DS and Wii U an that is all most of those Pic Of the Day responders are aware of.

Considering all the DLC in Mario Kart AND in Pikmin 3, I'm pretty sure SOMEONE who has control in how Nintendo operates had a change of heart on how they operate. Smash Wii U and 3DS are not the first Nintendo games to have DLC and won't be the last.

But hey man, if Sakurai is the reason you buy Smash Bros. games, more power to you. I personally don't care who is the director, as long as the game is good.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice

From the hardcore community you are right but I don't think widely known is a great way to describe PoTD or Sakurai. I'm the only one of my friends who gets so into games he goes out onto forums and such and they all love Smash but wouldn't know who the heck I was talking about if I said Sakurai's name. Hell I'd be surprised if they knew Iwata's name...

I agree Nintendo gets great marketing out of the PoTD concept because a lot of gaming sites, and sometimes non-gaming like Yahoo, pick up the more interesting ones and more people find out about the game. But just because something has always been one way doesn't mean it can't work another way either...at the end of the day all most of us care about is a fun game.

My opinion is yes Sakurai gets free reign to do what he wants but he gets it because Smash is not only a great-selling game but also traditionally a console seller. If Smash 4 doesn't move Wii U's like Mario Kart did, I'd be surprised if there weren't some changes. And if Smash 4 ends up having nothing exciting about it beyond greater graphics and different stages (let's be honest, most of us only care about new characters above all else) it will be a bit underwhelming. And as I've said in multiple other posts and won't repeat, it makes too much good business sense for Nintendo to do this than it does to not do it. Even if it does contradict what Sakurai said over a year ago - who cares? Like I said before, majority of people who will pick up the game likely never read that interview in the first place...

BTW I saw an earlier point you made about people complaining if this doesn't prove to be true - and I agree with that. This is a scenario I want but I'm perfectly fine with the current roster as-is, especially given I'm just going to play with Fox 80% of the time anyways. But I still don't think anyone has definitively proven anything one way or the other and to act like you have by gathering up old, vague interviews or new, vague articles about functionality the actual developers haven't fully described was misleading.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
I'm not getting a bit curious about the lack of Isaac, Ridley, Impa and Snake trophies.

I honestly don't think they would, but if they were to actually have these unlockable characters from the Wii U version, these 4 would make a good set. There are others who haven't been seen yet, but the point is that there is a chance that the trophies might, once they are all unlocked, give some hints into what they're planning for the Wii U release. Though, as these kinds of things would be used for hype I'd expect one new character and the concept of the linked characters to be revealed in a Nintendo direct some time soon.

I wonder who the 3DS unlocks would be though (3DS link giving the Wii U version). You'd think any unlocks would have to be starters (for both versions), so maybe some newcomers who aren't entirely vital. I'd guess Shulk would be one, maybe Pac Man, Palutena and Robin as well? I'd guess it would be the same number as the Wii U version, not much to go on.

Oh well, could be interesting, better keep an eye on those trophies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So despite the fact Metroid Prime was created by Retro Studios instead its original director Yoshi Sakamoto, you still wanna argue this? Despite the fact Rare had nothing to do with DK Returns and Tropical freeze, you still want to argue this? Even though Miyamoto started the Legend of Zelda series and left Eiji Aounamora be director since Ocarina of Time you still want to say Sakurai not being in charge of a Smash game will affect sales? Even the Mario series has been tossed between Intelligent Systems, NR&D 4, Cameloft, and numerous other 1st and 2nd party developers you still think that affects sales? Capcom made Minish Cap. Namco is making a Pokemon game. The average consumer doesn't care who makes the damn thing Halo sells because its Halo. A studio change didn't change that. Call of Duty still sells even if it jumps between studios. Who cares who makes the product as long as it's good. Unless you have been a long time Smash fan you only recognition of Sakurai is the guy who's the director of Smash for 3DS and Wii U an that is all most of those Pic Of the Day responders are aware of.

Considering all the DLC in Mario Kart AND in Pikmin 3, I'm pretty sure SOMEONE who has control in how Nintendo operates had a change of heart on how they operate. Smash Wii U and 3DS are not the first Nintendo games to have DLC and won't be the last.

But hey man, if Sakurai is the reason you buy Smash Bros. games, more power to you. I personally don't care who is the director, as long as the game is good.
The difference being that Sakurai is still in charge, whereas those don't have the original developer in control in the first place. Also, Sakamoto decided to kick Retro in the groin by knocking Prime from cannon, so bad example.

Tons of people go on Miiverse, and will quickly bandwagon with the rest. Any kind of bad news spreads like wildfire in the SSB community on Miiverse.

Konno and Miamoto's ideas. Konno even pushed for Xbox-style accounts on the 3DS.

These old articles are almost always true, as Sakurai carefully plans out his games from the very beginning of development. His mindset has yet to change ove the course of SSB4's development, and has no signs of changing any time soon.

Cherenando

Smash Apprentice
No, I mean why would they use Link as a placeholder? He fits quite well with "Giant 80s video game franchises", and that would suggest he could just be there for that.

If all the trophies are found and there is no Ridley, Snake or another genuine playable candidate (i.e. Impa), that would be a trigger for some interesting speculation. So I would be very interested to see a full list of trophies at this point.
Yeah I agree the use of Link as a place holder seems kind of strange , but if you look at it from my point of view Link being there is strange too I mean being in the "all-star" option considering all star is like saying "here have this guy from this game and this oter game"
( in this case seems like saying "this company and this other company" , im just saying this since most of the are from a different company )

Mmm I wouldn't bother me as much if say they were all from the same company or just being 4 of them in the picture (nothing against Link he's cool)

But five? I mean why? It isn't necesary , sure Link is popular and awesome but it seems unnecesary since each character representing a different company would look better to me Also Considering Smash has a max of 4 characters per match it would be the perfect fit

Yeah I want to know about the trophies too (I'm pretty sure Snake wouldn't appear even if he's not a playable character , It would be a **** you to Kojima Lol)

anyways Im a believer

(NO , NOT OF THAT KIND)

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
The difference being that Sakurai is still in charge, whereas those don't have the original developer in control in the first place. Also, Sakamoto decided to kick Retro in the groin by knocking Prime from cannon, so bad example.

Tons of people go on Miiverse, and will quickly bandwagon with the rest. Any kind of bad news spreads like wildfire in the SSB community on Miiverse.

Konno and Miamoto's ideas. Konno even pushed for Xbox-style accounts on the 3DS.

These old articles are almost always true, as Sakurai carefully plans out his games from the very beginning of development. His mindset has yet to change ove the course of SSB4's development, and has no signs of changing any time soon.
Okay then, bro...

All I am saying is after the years of playing Smash since the 64, reading articles where Sakurai contradicts himself in the same interview, and knowing he is seriously competing with Capcom's Ono for the biggest video game developer troll award, I am taking everything he says with a grain of salt until it's released.

That being said, I believe Smash will have DLC. Fire Emblem Awakening had it, Mario Kart 8 had it, and Pikmin 3 had it. I believe there is going to be a bigger incentive for buying the Wii U version of Smash 4 other than stages and game modes and I believe it is characters. I believe 3DS owners who do NOT purchase the Wii U version will get those characters through DLC. I also believe anyone who completely rules out this possibility just because of lol "Sakurai said no DLC/3DS and Wii U will be equal" is being naive....at best.

And that is all I'm saying. As you know, you're entitled to disagree but yeah... like, that's cool, too, homey.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
That being said, I believe Smash will have DLC. Fire Emblem Awakening had it, Mario Kart 8 had it, and Pikmin 3 had it. I believe there is going to be a bigger incentive for buying the Wii U version of Smash 4 other than stages and game modes and I believe it is characters. I believe 3DS owners who do NOT purchase the Wii U version will get those characters through DLC. I also believe anyone who completely rules out this possibility just because of lol "Sakurai said no DLC/3DS and Wii U will be equal" is being naive....at best.
One last word, all those games had DLC because the developers wanted it. The FE team wanted to include a ton of past characters, but didn't even know if the game itself would sell, MK team wanted to do crazy stuff like a F-Zero track and a playable Link without intruding on the base game, and Miamoto kept coming up with new ideas for stages like "earning" Captains.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If there were remaining DLC characters, I think it has to be the Four Fighters of Fame: Ridley, Mewtwo, Chorus Men and Dixie Kong. I just hope that they are indeed DLC characters, and I think adding Ridley and Mewtwo to the roster through DLC would of course raise money from the 3DS version.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
If there were remaining DLC characters, I think it has to be the Four Fighters of Fame: Ridley, Mewtwo, Chorus Men and Dixie Kong. I just hope that they are indeed DLC characters, and I think adding Ridley and Mewtwo to the roster through DLC would of course raise money from the 3DS version.
DLC could be anyone, but if it's linked to the Wii U transfer it would be reasonable to expect they wouldn't have a "normal" trophy in the 3DS version. At this time we haven't seen Ridley, Impa, Isaac or Snake to my knowledge though, and all 4 are serious contenders.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
For anyone, literally ANYONE comparing the idea of WiiU to 3DS exclusive characters being like Pokemon, no. Just no. Pokemon ships multiple versions at the same time and is to promote trading between friends. And before you say go to your friend's house with a WiiU, that's still not the point. Pokemon ALSO has a full online trading system now, so...

Yeah, not a very valid comparison IMO.

This post does not reflect the likeliness of anything, I'm just pointing out that whenever people say Pokemon does the same thing I cringe because it's really not.

Last edited:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
DLC could be anyone, but if it's linked to the Wii U transfer it would be reasonable to expect they wouldn't have a "normal" trophy in the 3DS version. At this time we haven't seen Ridley, Impa, Isaac or Snake to my knowledge though, and all 4 are serious contenders.
Why would you say this, seriously? When has this ever happened before? NEVER! So why are fans trying to place the choice of hype characters and there return (via this weird thing that is seemingly a good business plan and a likely thing that Nintendo will do) off of an in game object that has no actual confrontation with the gameplay itself? Its silly, and with the inclusion of characters in the 3ds version having strait up trophies of themselves (Or what you would refer to "normal trophies") so this is good to go man. Your point has no real ground sir.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
Why would you say this, seriously? When has this ever happened before? NEVER! So why are fans trying to place the choice of hype characters and there return (via this weird thing that is seemingly a good business plan and a likely thing that Nintendo will do) off of an in game object that has no actual confrontation with the gameplay itself? Its silly, and with the inclusion of characters in the 3ds version having strait up trophies of themselves (Or what you would refer to "normal trophies") so this is good to go man. Your point has no real ground sir.
This is how the argument goes if it got confused:

1. If the Wii U links to the 3DS version to unlock further characters, the characters have already been planned from the start
2. Characters that are playable do not get 'normal trophies'
3. As such planned playable characters at release, that is, these 'transfer characters', would not have normal trophies, but instead the ones won through game modes, like the others
4. As such if a well known, and potentially expected playable character has no trophy in the 3DS version, they may well be unlocked through such a system

Again, if it comes down to DLC, it could be anyone, because they may not have been planned at the time. That includes assist trophies, stage hazard and such, as well as 'normal trophies', but of course this thread is the Wii U transfer argument.

Hope that helps.

WizKick

Smash Apprentice

Just because Square Enix is arguably "trash" now doesn't ignore the fact that other development companies besides Capcom have been known to have internal disputes with their lead directors. Tecmo Koei is another example of this because Team Ninja's Tomonobi Itakagi was sent walking because he thought he could do whatever he wanted instead of listening to his boss. Sure, he was grabbing ***, but a direct order is a direct order regardless.

Kojima is the VP of Konami, and the Director of his own subsidiary within Konami. Sure he could get fired if he didn't listen to the president, but I doubt it comes up all that much. ^_~

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Can we all agree on at least the following points?

1. Sakurai would be dumb, or trolling, to completely ignore the "Big Three" that hardcore fans want
2. At minimum, it especially makes no sense to exclude Mewtwo given his moveset has been established in Melee and given the fervent demand.
3. Nintendo, as a company, needs a Wii U game to come out to push console sales.
4. Smash 4, without any new characters from 3DS, is less appealing to those who will have already had it for 3+ months on the handheld.

It's nothing definitive, but again if Smash 4 on Wii U comes out with no new characters it'll be one of the bigger game blunders in recent memory IMO. If that was the case, Nintendo is straight-up dumb for not releasing Wii U's version first.

EDIT: Let me reiterate that I think the roster as-is looks great - I just can't believe anyone with a business sense wouldn't see the opportunity in giving gamers incentive in wanting both versions of the game...

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I saw an Impa trophy in the trophy compilation thread. Albeit it was Ocarina of Time Impa and not Skyward Sword/Hyrule Warriors Impa.

Also Snake has a very obvious reason for his absence, he's 3rd party. There aren't any guarantees when it comes to 3rd party characters. (Yeah he could still be in, but there are more likely explanations for his absence right now)

I'm kinda suspicious of Ray MK III and Custom Robo. As far as I know Custom Robo hasn't gotten a trophy either. I wonder if we've been underestimating it.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
It's not happening guys. The game is out. Sakurai is a weird dude: that's the reason for the roster we have. This is the final roster. No dlc.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
It's not happening guys. The game is out. Sakurai is a weird dude: that's the reason for the roster we have. This is the final roster. No dlc.
After seeing DLC in Mario Kart, Mario Golf, and Mario Brothers....

And Fire Emblem

And Pikmin.

And Hyrule Warriors.

I just think Nintendo's more open to DLC, especially that can sell like this one can. Maybe they're waiting for the Wii U. Maybe you get the characters free with the Wii U, and it's paid DLC for the 3ds otherwise. I don't know.

But I believe DLC is going to happen with this game.

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
After seeing DLC in Mario Kart, Mario Golf, and Mario Brothers....

And Fire Emblem

And Pikmin.

And Hyrule Warriors.

I just think Nintendo's more open to DLC, especially that can sell like this one can. Maybe they're waiting for the Wii U. Maybe you get the characters free with the Wii U, and it's paid DLC for the 3ds otherwise. I don't know.

But I believe DLC is going to happen with this game.
Sakurai is adamantly against both DLC and the Big 3. It ain't happening.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Here's how I think it should work:
1. You can only access the character(s) when you connect the systems together, until then you cannot access them.
2. If you don't have one or the other system, you can buy them through DLC.

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
Top Bottom