• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quest to Become the Best

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Ok, who knows when User Blogs is going to be fixed, but the old Blog I had posted there had a lot of people viewing, and also a lot of active posters, so I'm continuing it here, for now at least.

LOTS of updates...I have 2 HUGE events coming up, and 1 HUGE obstacle standing in the way. The 2 events are:

AXS- November 6th, Syracuse
ROM 3- November 21-22 (I think)

And the obstacle is this: I bought a new controller and it got here a few days ago, and I have to break it in by Saturday.

The controller's control stick, due to being brand new, is extremely stiff, so here's what I'm doing to try and break it in.

* First off, when I get home from work at 7 everyday, I'm playing until I fall asleep at like 2 AM. It's very hard for me to keep playing when every time I try to shine I Side B due to the control stick being stiff, but I keep playing anyways even though it's discouraging.

* I walk to and from work which is a 2 mile walk there, so altogether it's 4 miles. I take my controller and rotate the control stick, and smash it left and right over and over to get it looser. In addition, during my half hour break, I also break it in by doing the same thing. I eat for the first 5 mins and then spend the other 25 listening to music and breaking it in.

*If I'm extremely tired after I get home after taking a shower and cleaning up after my roommates, I take an hour nap and then wake up and play till like 3. The only downside to that is that I have to wake up at 8 in order to eat, shower and have enough time to walk to work to get there at 10. So, I've been having to take nyquill when I want to go to bed to knock me out, since taking a nap makes me not tired at all even at like 2-3 AM. The nyquill makes me wake up dazed and confused but I don't care really.

So, I guess if I need any help with this, my question is: To everyone who has broken in a controller. Do you think I'm being efficient with my methods? Usually it takes 1-2 months for me to break in a controller, but I've never done it this way so I'm hoping I can do it in less than a week.

Syracuse is a big event for me. It's the main warm up before ROM 3, and it's my home region pretty much. I'm absolutely confident that at my best, no one attending (so far) stands a chance against me. That's one thing that has significantly improved in my Smash game, my confidence.

Confidence is all mental. I struggled with it for so long, but eventually after beating so many people and working SO hard on my consistency, eventually it's just gotten to the point where I don't get nervous anymore. Not only do I not get nervous, but thankfully I don't have what I call "delusional confidence" either, where you just think you're the **** but really you get stomped by people. It's a very realistic confidence, and I know that there's really not much that can surprise me at this point, and my combos and predictions are good enough to shake even really good players now.

My consistency has gotten much better, and that's what I call a "benchmark." A benchmark is when you do something while playing that is a result of hard work and training, and it's the most satisfying feeling ever. As a result, it has the effect of putting fuel/gas into a car...It keeps it going and moving forwards. If you never see improvement it's easy to get discouraged, but after you see improvement in an area you're working on, it motivates you more. At least, that's how it works for me. My consistency has gone through the roof, which in turn fixed my confidence issues.

I must admit, that was quite the hurdle. I thought I'd never get past it, and I was just trying to figure out different ways to practice based on faith alone. Blindly trying different things to get past this roadblock. Taj gave me some good advice...Just keep playing and eventually you will chip away at your weaknesses...It's inevitable. So, that's what I do. I like to have it planned out how to improve, but if I don't know how, I just play. Maybe my improvement is very inefficient sometimes due to improving blindly, but Taj is right...If you play it's inevitable that you will improve.

In terms of my actual gameplay, I've been working on a lot. Too much to say honestly, and with ROM 3 coming up, I don't want to give it away. What I will say is this though: I'm doing everything I can to make sure I have no limitations in regard to technical execution besides my own physical prowess so to speak. No hardware limitations.

Also, I'm very excited for ROM3.

darkoblivion12

Smash Lord
I dunno why, but I tend to break in controllers very quickly, maybe I just mash them really hard. Maybe takes me a few weeks, but your method should work out pretty well.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
Honestly, as far as new, break out players go, Mango is of the past, Dr PeePee is the of the present, and I think you'll be the next big name shortly. Make it into the Bracket at ROM3, because you can totally do it. =)

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
ive never heard of the OP. how can he be the next big name? is he using an alias?

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
this was his blog, but blogs failed and he has nowhere to post it. its really important to him so if your gonna say disrespectful **** gtfo of his thread.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
Jesse, you up for me stopping by for Smash tonight? I need an actual opponent and I could really use a night full of smash.

I've been training Other Mike to play Melee and he's really enjoying it, buy all he does is spam f-smashes and refuses to learn any advance techs. It's really frustrating and I fail to understand why he wants to become a competitive smash player but doesn't want to learn how to play the game.

Also, can I hitch a ride with you for AXS and RoM3? I'm trying my hardest to get my job back at the shop I worked at so I can afford going.

And one more thing, are you planning on going to Pound V? I'm considering driving down there.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
i just want to know who he is. can anyone tell? anyways he seems like a dedicated guy, playing for hours and even when hes not at home using his controller. at least thats what i see. others would see this as whining pre-johns.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
Jesse's the man, there's no doubt in my mind he's going to be a headline name in Smash in the near future.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i just want to know who he is. can anyone tell? anyways he seems like a dedicated guy, playing for hours and even when hes not at home using his controller. at least thats what i see. others would see this as whining pre-johns.
he's a guy that's going around america going to tons of different smash scenes, playing with lots of good players and going to lots of major tournies on the way.

if you know forward, he did this aswell. it's awesome and i would love to do it, it's just...insanely expensive.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I see.. Well have you come to the point where you no longer worry about yourself at all, Jesse? Sounds like you are pretty close. Everything that you do is definitely all about the mind, if you can't see yourself beating the crap out of top people then there's not really a point in continuing on a quest to become a great player. You need some type of vision or realizable goals that you can see ahead for motivation. If not, it's like running aimlessly at all directions without knowing what to do.

As for weaknesses, just know that.. you are NOT your weakness, you are a great person trying to achieve something awesome. The weaknesses that you have will burn away as you get stronger, all these doubts and **** will mean nothing, just do it and keep playing.

And then once you learn everything that you can, then you can apply it for real in your daily life.. and that's even more awesome. Realize your dreams! =P

strawhats

Smash Master
I see.. Well have you come to the point where you no longer worry about yourself at all, Jesse? Sounds like you are pretty close. Everything that you do is definitely all about the mind, if you can't see yourself beating the crap out of top people then there's not really a point in continuing on a quest to become a great player. You need some type of vision or realizable goals that you can see ahead for motivation. If not, it's like running aimlessly at all directions without knowing what to do.

As for weaknesses, just know that.. you are NOT your weakness, you are a great person trying to achieve something awesome. The weaknesses that you have will burn away as you get stronger, all these doubts and **** will mean nothing, just do it and keep playing.

And then once you learn everything that you can, then you can apply it for real in your daily life.. and that's even more awesome. Realize your dreams! =P
sig worthy **** right here ladies and gentleman,

Life

Smash Hero
@OP

I read somewhere that moonwalking tends to break in control sticks very quickly. I haven't had to break in a stick in a long time, but it's a thought.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
You got this Jesiah. :) Vman supports. :)
Haha, your Yoshi/Falco are awesome dude. I love watching your vids. Keep it up dude, and thanks a lot.

That was pretty good Kage, I not only completely understand what you're saying about the mindset, but also about it translating to real life. But, we'll talk more on that during ROM.

if you can beat yaneev (tuna)

ill believe the hype
Haha, dude it's not about the hype, you know that. It's about results. Hype means nothing, only tourney results mean something.

So, my controller's still pretty bad. I'm practicing today with people and it's nearly impossible for me to dash...And that's a huge part of Melee. Got another day or two to break it in...

Also, I've been practicing being a lot more fluid and free flowing. What does that mean? One type of action that comes as a result of this is being able to distinguish between committing to an action, and stopping halfway through to better position yourself. Like, if I'm in the air shorthopping towards someone, my mind wants to follow through and finish with a Fair on their shield...But, through conscious effort, you can either waveland back, or land and start dashdancing/grab right away. That's a very basic example, but the concept applies to a lot more. Stopping an action halfway through and doing something different.

At first, it requires conscious effort. If you manage to do it enough though, I think it translates into your playstyle as just something else you do. I think it takes a while though, to experience various different situations and apply this "free flowing-ness" to them, until eventually it's just second nature.

That's also a huge thing that separates good players from great...That mentality, and added dimension to their game.

Signia

Smash Lord
sig worthy **** right here ladies and gentleman,
but that's kind of a personal statement that only applies to Jesiah
"YOU are not your weakness" does not apply to very many people

but a very inspiring post, kage, don't get me wrong. Ganon fighting! (that's a starcraft phrase I think meaning keep repping that race/character)

Druggedfox

Smash Champion

Kage, when someone says they want to become the best, don't you usually tell them they'll have to beat you first? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
but that's kind of a personal statement that only applies to Jesiah
"YOU are not your weakness" does not apply to very many people

but a very inspiring post, kage, don't get me wrong. Ganon fighting! (that's a starcraft phrase I think meaning keep repping that race/character)
Why wouldn't it apply to everyone? It's very hard to notice it at first, like I said it's all in the mind. When you want to train and then you tell yourself: "Oh I'm too tired today, I don't feel like it" That's your weakness. But then what about what you always dream about? Why don't you follow your dreams instead? Through logic it makes sense, why wouldn't you want to feel awesome and at the top? Would you rather feel miserable and weak? What the ****.. lol.

Edit: What's actually stopping you from you and your dreams? =P

Kage, when someone says they want to become the best, don't you usually tell them they'll have to beat you first? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
loll.. well if you do fight me then of course I'll try to destroy you with everything I have.. You are fighting my dream as well. =)

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Stop acting like you know anything. Making it out of pools is overrated. Tope didn't even make it out of pools at Apex.

It's what you do in a tournament that people remember.

At ROM, during pool play, I was watching (although almost nobody else saw the set) when Jesse defeated Bam, one of the best Quebec players.

You don't have to be involved in the most hype matches to be good.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
nah, making it out of pools shows a certain consistency and even more, your skill. good players DEFINATELY make it out of pools. i agree that you can be good and still dont place in top 10 at toruneys but getting into the bracket is a must otherwise your just mediocre.
according to your logic im as good as jesiah because i dont make it out of pools

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
yes i was. and ill come to Pound V and wont make it out of pools cuz im good.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i dont understand why u care so much that other people think Jesse is good.

the guy is dedicated to smash and its interesting to hear his story. dont read the thread if you're not interested or "never heard of him"

haters gonna hate.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
if you think hes so good and tourney results dont count why does this thread even exist? its just him johnning for tourneys that did not even happen yet.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
nah, making it out of pools shows a certain consistency and even more, your skill. good players DEFINATELY make it out of pools. i agree that you can be good and still dont place in top 10 at toruneys but getting into the bracket is a must otherwise your just mediocre.
according to your logic im as good as jesiah because i dont make it out of pools
Did you even read what I just wrote? Tope didn't make it out of pools at Apex.

>_>

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
tope is decent - but not good. in fact no one is surprised if he doesnt make it out of pools and no one is suprised if he makes it out of pools.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
placing 3rd with like 2 big names going along? i can place first if i play against my schoolmates. tope is an ok player but hes definately no comparison to real top pros. and so is jesiah. but maybe in some year or so when chances are also high that good players might quit till then.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
These guys are a little better than your schoolmates.

1: Hungrybox ($510.00)
2: Dr PeePee ($318.75)
3: Tope ($191.25)
4: Colbol ($127.50)
5: XIF ($63.75)
5: Rayku ($63.75)
7: RockCrock
7: That Guy Over There (-Chad-)
9: Waffles (Wobbles)
9: Linguini
9: Harriet the guy
9: Cyrain
13: Dop
13: LoZr
13: DoH
13: IHaveSpaceballs

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
theres no guarantee that these players below tope would make it out of pools in big internationals. they are hardly better than tope who is an ok player as i said.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
if you think hes so good and tourney results dont count why does this thread even exist? its just him johnning for tourneys that did not even happen yet.
It's not about being good or not, it's about accomplishing things normal people do not have the courage to do. It's about following your heart and finding the supernatural things that happen when you do.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
lol courage? supernatural things? you really talk like a warrior. lemme know if your back in our century.

Top Bottom