• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quest to Become the Best

WatchYourRadar

Smash Apprentice
Kage, reading your post made me feel all tingly inside. Have you ever considered a career motivational speaking? This poundslap guy trolls hardcore and instead of warriorraging all over him, you post one of the nicest things ever. Mucho respect :D

Quic

Smash Journeyman
lol courage? supernatural things? you really talk like a warrior. lemme know if your back in our century.
You should know Kage is too manly to give a **** about time displacement.

a nub

Smash Ace
theres no guarantee that these players below tope would make it out of pools in big internationals. they are hardly better than tope who is an ok player as i said.
cuz colbol linguini and wobbles aren't top level players who are likely to make it out of pools amirite? bad troll is bad

Anyway this is supposed to be about jesse's blog. you coming to smash club today jesse?

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
they are not GUARANTEED to make it out. like armada would be guranteed. can you please learn to read you complete noob?

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
do you know the meaning of the word guaranteed? u can post as many tourney results as you want, these players arent so good that there isnt a chance they wouldnt get stuck in pools.
aigain, learn to read.

Quic

Smash Journeyman
Nub, I know he's annoying, but he's just a troll, just ignore him.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
Guys, guys, you're all missing the point. Tope, Colbol, Wobbles - none of them are guaranteed to make it out of pools. Unlike Armada. Obviously you need to take a closer look at the rules.

Armada Clause: Armada makes it out of pools, guaranteed.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
@quic: if troll stands for posting his honest opinion we are all trolls.

@spamus: funny joke but you dont get the point either? your a good player when theres no doubt that you dont make it out of pools. i.e. armada, mango, hbox, pp, m2k, amsah, armada...
(and NOT tope)

Divinokage

Smash Legend
lol courage? supernatural things? you really talk like a warrior. lemme know if your back in our century.
This is 2010, right? =) I guess you are too crude to understand the magic of certain things.

Kage, reading your post made me feel all tingly inside. Have you ever considered a career motivational speaking? This poundslap guy trolls hardcore and instead of warriorraging all over him, you post one of the nicest things ever. Mucho respect :D
I haven't really considered something like that. I just want to be someone that is looked up upon.. I want to give people hope. A hope that anything is possible when you put your soul into something you really want to do. Everyone can do something really awesome, you just have to realize what it is.. like I said you need vision. =)

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
This is 2010, right? =) I guess you are too crude to understand the magic of certain things.
but only for 2 more months so mark your calendar.
btw you could be too naive to understand the unmagic of certain things. that is statement vs statement.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I have dreams with Yoshi :) they're awesome. :)
Eww.

Stop acting like you know anything. Making it out of pools is overrated. Tope didn't even make it out of pools at Apex.

It's what you do in a tournament that people remember.

At ROM, during pool play, I was watching (although almost nobody else saw the set) when Jesse defeated Bam, one of the best Quebec players.

You don't have to be involved in the most hype matches to be good.
This. A lot of good matches and upsets happen in Pools, but they're rarely recorded or well known. For example, Hax beat Amsah, which is probably considered an upset.

Obvious troll, but I'll bite for fun:

tope is decent - but not good. in fact no one is surprised if he doesnt make it out of pools and no one is suprised if he makes it out of pools.
13th at Genesis and 9th at Pound 4, is decent hurrrrr. Also he had controller problems at Apex which is why he didn't make it out.

Says the guy whose logic is from the stone age.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
all hear is johns. u cannot have controller problems with sheik. tope isnt just that good. its as simple as that.

Spamus43

Smash Journeyman
@spamus: funny joke but you dont get the point either? your a good player when theres no doubt that you dont make it out of pools. i.e. armada, mango, hbox, pp, m2k, amsah, armada...
(and NOT tope)
Suppose a 48-man bracket, which is fairly typical for large events. Note that if a "good" player is simply not in attendance, if he were then he would take one of those 48 players. So that player (whose spot would have been taken) wasn't "good" after all. Then there are at most 48 "good" (by your definition) players, since there are only 48 bracket spots attainable.

Suppose further that everyone who gets 0-2'd is not "good." After all, if they couldn't win a single set in bracket, there was certainly no guarantee that they made it out of pools; they simply had a strong performance on that given day. Now we're down to at most 32 "good" players. It's likely that this line of reasoning could be applied to higher placings as well, but for now I think that stopping here is illustrative enough.

If we adhere to your definition of "good" we are forced to conclude that (at most) 32 people in the world are good at this game. Now, consider the number of people who play competitively. Certainly, some of them are good and some are bad; but I think it's fair to say that being in the top 32 warrants a label beyond "good" and, further, that using "good" in the sense that you are is overly restrictive.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Stop acting like you know anything. Making it out of pools is overrated. Tope didn't even make it out of pools at Apex.

At ROM, during pool play, I was watching (although almost nobody else saw the set) when Jesse defeated Bam, one of the best Quebec players.

Dude haha, I appreciate you trying to look out for me but not only is it completely unnecessary, but you were a major contributor in my last thread. I really respect your posts and read them very carefully. Don't waste your posts on this kind of stuff. Rather, read what I wrote about "free flowing" and looseness, and give me your opinion on that. That would be something I'm interested in reading, and something I think everyone else will be too.

tope lost his controller at apex and went all pika in pools. i know this because i was in his pool.
Wow, that sucks. Much respect to him for not freaking out about it like some people, probably myself would have too haha.

Why wouldn't it apply to everyone? It's very hard to notice it at first, like I said it's all in the mind. When you want to train and then you tell yourself: "Oh I'm too tired today, I don't feel like it" That's your weakness. But then what about what you always dream about? Why don't you follow your dreams instead? Through logic it makes sense, why wouldn't you want to feel awesome and at the top? Would you rather feel miserable and weak? What the ****.. lol.
Kage- Although I'm at the point now where I want to do nothing BUT practice, I used to feel tired/worn out, and not want to practice. I always fought through it though, and practiced anyways. As I progressed over the months/years, I found things to motivate me to practice. A big one is watching inspiring videos of top level players, another big one is picturing myself at a tournament and realizing that I don't want to settle for anything less than first.

You know what the biggest motivators are though? When I see them, I immediately get a smile on my face, and I turn the Gamecube on and practice for hours on end. I hope even when I'm at the peak of Melee's metagame, that I will still be able to find these instant and powerful motivators. What are they? Posts like these:

or probably because he DOES NOT EVEN MAKE IT OUF OF POOLS. Am I right?
nah, making it out of pools shows a certain consistency and even more, your skill. good players DEFINATELY make it out of pools. i agree that you can be good and still dont place in top 10 at toruneys but getting into the bracket is a must otherwise your just mediocre.
according to your logic im as good as jesiah because i dont make it out of pools
if you think hes so good and tourney results dont count why does this thread even exist? its just him johnning for tourneys that did not even happen yet.
all hear is johns. u cannot have controller problems with sheik. tope isnt just that good. its as simple as that.
I believe you can use anything and everything in the world of Smash to your advantage. Even someone with very little posts, who lives somewhere probably very far away from me that I may or may not ever meet, can still contribute to my progression and development.

So to anyone arguing with Poundslap, let him be. I look forward to reading his posts, truly.

On a different note, last night I had the privilege of being able to try and solve a high level problem with a player who is much farther above me in terms of skill, mindset and contribution to the community: Dr. PeePee. It was really fun watching his vids and analyzing them with him, and also extremely beneficial and interesting to see what sort of things players struggle with at the highest levels of Melee. For the first time ever, I was having extreme troubles coming up with solutions. Normally a creative player can think of multiple solutions to different problems, but the specific situation we were discussing, Jiggs' aerial mobility vs falco, every time I threw out a solution PP explained to me why that most likely wouldn't work.

We didn't really end up thinking of anything LOL, not yet anyways. Hbox is very smart, and is still improving even now. Props to both of these incredible players, for still having just as much passion at the top as they did when they were at the bottom. Same to you Kage.

Jeremy- I will be at Smash club tonight, I believe so. If i can't get a ride, I'm going to be in my room practicing the whole night, haha.

Tairseth

Smash Apprentice
Man have you seen Tope? You do that well?

Jesiah and Kage you guys have the spirit I love to see in smash. I believe in you guys. Ill challenge you both one day. Count on it! ;D

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
You don't stand a chance, muahaha! =P
Kage, we could use your speeches at U of A. Two melee players, both ganon mains XD

And Jesiah, I'm expecting to see your name up there in the top very soon. Win or don't go home!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481

Tope went all Pikachu....

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if I'm going to be with Autumn this evening, but if not I can take you to Smash club tonight, Jesse.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Dude, it absolutely ***** because now I have my old controller!!! There's only 1 problem...I can't light shield, and I do that a lot, especially in teams where I'm just light shielding half the time lol...Idk, it's a bit of a sacrifice but it's WAY better than using the crappy new controller, but hopefully I'll have that one broken in by ROM. Awesome man, thanks a lot.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I've been practicing my movements a lot today. I guess I'll describe how I practice my tech skill, and maybe you guys can tell me what you think, or talk about how you practice tech skill.

First off, I'm playing with all Marth today. I think it's important to be able to move as fast as possible. Don't take that the wrong way. I'm not saying you SHOULD be moving as fast as possible at all times. That's unnecessary. However, you need to be able to do everything as quickly as possible. I'll describe a quick practice method I use to help understand.

With Marth to practice my ledge game, I do the following:

*Dash Dance
*Running Dtilt the ledge
*Walk to the ledge and turn around and WD onto it
*Ledgehop Nair
*WD back to ledge
*Ledgehop dair

So I'm just practicing getting to the ledge as fast as possible, and doing moves in between to practice ledgehop moves. They don't have to be nair or dair, I do every aerial.

Now the fun, yet challenging part, is doing it all perfectly. Here's a more detailed look at every action.

*After the dtilt, I start the fast walk towards the ledge on the first interruptable frame of the Dtilt. While the momentum from my walk is still carrying me, i gently turn around so for a brief second, I'm sliding backwards. Then, do a perfect wd to the ledge, and fastfall it.

*The moment possible from grabbing the ledge is when I start the ledgehop aerial. This is to make sure that I can get the edgeguards that require very tight timing. If you jump too fast after grabbing the ledge, you're going to do a manual jump off the ledge which sucks. If you wait too long, you lose speed and frames of invincibility. So, getting that precise timing is key.

*The next step is L cancelling the aerials in combination with fastfalling consistently. Especially for the dair, it's very annoying to fast fall and L cancel hopping from the ledge. After I do get the L cancel, on the frame when the lag ends, do another perfect WD --> fastfall to grab the ledge, and repeat.

The series is just a little game I kinda made up to practice moving to and from the ledge as quickly and accurately as possible. Swift, would be the right word I s'pose. I change in little things too, like instead of WD'ing to the edge, I might do some repetitions where I PC to the ledge, or shorthop backwards.

Maybe instead of doing ledgehop aerials, I'll mix in a ledge-drop bair or fair the instant i can from the "grabbing the ledge" lag. Sometimes I'll just practice WD'ing to and from the ledge as far and quickly as possible. So, to get variety I mix in all those things once in a while.

The goal is to do it as much as possible and condition my muscle memory to the point where it's all second nature. Automated. I'm also paying attention to my hands and how they move, trying to keep them relaxed and loose, but still precise and aware. (By aware I mean I want my muscles in my finger to be able to execute upon reaction with no delay from when I begin the reaction.)

That's just one thing I was working on today, but yeah thoughts?

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
what are you hoping to achieve with this kind of training? i dont really see why u should practice mixups on cpus. these are situational and if your opponent doesnt react on your playstyle you dont need them. you can use them on adapting opponents but i dont really see a point in your methods. once you master the timing for the standard techskill-things, the rest is just peanuts and wont bring you that much further in a battle. you dont need a frameperfect ledgehop because you will get punished anyways if your opponents predicts. what leads me to the next point. if your consistent enough with techskill (which you should be as a "good" player) its important to focus more on reading. what attacks/strategies will counter what approches, the habits of the opponent and your own ones to avoid baits...

whats your main?

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
See, while reading is important and all...

Being able to have perfect tech skill during a match never hurts. The more second nature it is, the less likely you are to mess it up in a clutch situation.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
thats why i wrote its importan to get the techskill mastered. but how would u, for example, shield pressure frameperfect if your opponent knows that your going to do a late aerial and so he can punish it before? you can have the smoothest movement possible and it still wont help you if your opponent outsmarts you. good techskill is just a tool for the game, but you wont get better if your working on that tool, u must be working on your gameplay, once you reached the point where your techskill is "good". thats why someone shouldnt focus too much on some little movement adjustments.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
If you have nothing better to do, there's no reason not to. If you've already analyzed videos, and don't have anyone to play with, mastering stuff like that can only help you.

Also, I can't wait for someone to try to hit me out of my shield pressure (double shine JC grab =PPP).

@Jesiah

I was going to ask you what you do to keep your fingers/hands from getting too sore when practicing a lot? I'm already really used to the idea of keeping loose, making sure nothing's tense, etc (that's how people end up with carpal tunnel). I was curious if you had any other ideas? I've been practicing some rather technical things with fox, and after about an hour it beings to get tiring....

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
double shine grab gets ***** by shield smash di or one frame move out of shield id laugh if ur too slow and get rested while trying to grab

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
First, it does not get ***** by shield smash DI, because it's really easy to see shield DI and react to it.

Also, "one frame move" out of shield? You realize people's jumps have STARTING ANIMATIONS. Iirc they have like 5 or 6 frames to actually do something before my grab hits them. Most characters don't even have enough time to jump off the ground and actually do that one frame move, much less react FRAME PERFECTLY to a DOUBLE SHINE --> grab.

I mean sure, maybe if they're expecting it (somehow) and have frame perfect gameplay.

Edit: Realized you're a troll way too late; will stop responding now.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i shine grabbed out of shield twice with falco

double shine >grab out of shield is probably not that hard

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
Hello im mikehagger

just kidding but seriously, its always my honest thoughts that i write and if im too offensive sometimes i apologize and try to better. But im really a nice person and not a troll!

Top Bottom