• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Quest to Become the Best

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I've gotten to the point where I default assume everyone on smashboards is a troll until they prove otherwise =PPPPPPPP

*waits on jesiah to reply*

D

Deleted member

go into every match with the mentality "just **** them". no matter how good/bad you do, it's always the fastest way to learn. turn your entire play style from that basic **** i gave you at the beginning of summer into giving swift and brutal death like it's your life's dedication. go into every match hungry to **** murder and pillage everything you can touch. if you see something awesome you can go for, always do it. by now the whole "don't do anything stupid" rule that I always use will be so ingrained into you that your natural play style won't let you, so if you're not sure if you should do something or not, it's probably alright.

evolve your play style and mentality towards higher reward plays.

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
"just **** them"

imagine your participating in the olympic games and you must be swimming against michael phelps. would u go in with a mindset like "i will win"? its silly and unreasonable to think so. however you can still do your best and pull off an honourable challenge.

just wanted to say that, umbreon

Quic

Smash Journeyman
"just **** them"

imagine your participating in the olympic games and you must be swimming against michael phelps. would u go in with a mindset like "i will win"? its silly and unreasonable to think so. however you can still do your best and pull off an honourable challenge.

Yes, you should get into a challenge like that thinking you will win, if you don't your doubt will hold you back, you shouldn't second guess yourself, be convinced of your own prowess instead of being afraid of your opponent's.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
also hitting on that point, I'd like to point out that Axe (the pikachu player that placed fifth at Apex, for those who don't know or live under misplaced rocks) he said that while playing Armada, he was rooting for him because he loved the way Armada played. Axe was so on spot that day that I personally believe that he could've beaten Armada. maybe if he had the mentality of "Yeah Armada is great, but I'm better" then Axe just may have beaten him

I hope he doesn't name search this because after re reading what I typed I almost feel like I accused him of something, despite him being on of my favorite players

PoundSlap

Smash Journeyman
well, i dont think axe could have beaten armada but i guess your right about the other bit.
but just out of curiousity: if your a player that isnt capable of the ATs, would u go into a battle against a top player like amsah, armada, mango with a winning mindset?

Pengie

Smash Lord
well, i dont think axe could have beaten armada but i guess your right about the other bit.
but just out of curiousity: if your a player that isnt capable of the ATs, would u go into a battle against a top player like amsah, armada, mango with a winning mindset?
The skill gap would be so large that it wouldn't make a difference to the result of the match, but they would probably do better because they wouldn't be discouraged by the player. The whole mindset thing only applies in close matches.

D

Deleted member

"just **** them"

**** that. **** harder. if it's unreasonable, you're not ****** hard enough.

M@1funk$hun

Smash Ace
I went to apex 2010 as my first tourney. ever.
I get mango in my pools
he's the best player in the world
I still couldn't ledgehop-nair
I took 2 stocks off his falcon and a stock off his falco
that's where winning mindsets get you, even if the skill gap is THAT large
now I know some stocks aren't enough to impress some people, especially you from the way you post, but what I'm saying is that even the underdog can try. and when he does
well
we got ourselves a game

BBQ°

Smash Champion
jesse, I'm wondering if you've found anything in smash that can be applied to real life. Got any philosophy? I'm talkin about deep ****.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I get mango in my pools
Holy ****. Props dude!

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
well you beat yaneev

I'm impressed man, he said he didn't even take a match so I wanna see you in action, looking foward to playing you bro

mers

Smash Ace
go into every match with the mentality "just **** them". no matter how good/bad you do, it's always the fastest way to learn. turn your entire play style from that basic **** i gave you at the beginning of summer into giving swift and brutal death like it's your life's dedication. go into every match hungry to **** murder and pillage everything you can touch. if you see something awesome you can go for, always do it. by now the whole "don't do anything stupid" rule that I always use will be so ingrained into you that your natural play style won't let you, so if you're not sure if you should do something or not, it's probably alright.

I think this makes so much sense. I often think of the game as "playing smash" instead of "just **** them." I still try really hard, but I do so much worse than when I'm focused on ****ing the opponent up as hard as I can. I think this is a huge part of why Mango is so good. He always wants to **** his opponent, and so he does it.

Except for sandbag Mango, who is noticeably less fun to watch.

SnowMan

Smash Journeyman
I get mango in my pools
that's where winning mindsets get you, even if the skill gap is THAT large
now I know some stocks aren't enough to impress some people, especially you from the way you post, but what I'm saying is that even the underdog can try. and when he does
well
we got ourselves a game
As much as I like encouraging most smash players, I don't mean to burst your bubble.

Mango just uses pools to warm up.

I agree mostly with this.

But during just friendlies with Jesse or anyone else in my region I know is better than me, I like to change my state of mind. Some matches, I play to focus on my mistakes and learn from them. Then I'll switch over to **** mode. I think it's healthy to balance out the two.

However, at tournies, unless you lost right away, keep yourself in **** mode.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Tournament Recap

Ok, finally got access to a computer. I wanted to talk about the tournament that happened over the weekend. It was awesome to begin with haha.

First off, both my partner and I started off playing bad in doubles. I stepped it up in Winner's Finals though, although unfortunately he didn't. I'm not saying that to be mean either, he actually played really bad. He was very upset with himself, and at the time I was pissed too. I decided to just step it up even more, and try switching characters to Sheik. We made it back to Grand Finals, and I started playing pretty good. Like, really good. Great feeling. At any rate, my teammate kept getting kneed at like 50, and just SD'ing and he even shinespiked me @ 0 ftl.

We lost, 3-2. To say I was upset was an understatement. I wanted to just freak out, but I thought to myself, what good can come out of this. First off, maybe it will motivate him to start playing again. He never practices anymore so maybe this will be the tourney to push him over the edge, to inspire him to start training again.

Second, I had a lot of confidence. My Sheik was playing very good. I decided not to play anyone else besides Sheik, I was playing too good to risk it. Not my best, but it's very rare anyone plays their best, I've noticed that.

And although I didn't know it at the time, there was a third factor that really came out of us losing. I went on a quest for murder. It was the maddest I've ever been at a tourney for some reason, and I just wanted to destroy everyone I played.

My first match was against The General, a very underrated Peach I believe, very technical and pretty smart. He played a lot with the NC guys over the summer from what I understand. First match I 3 stocked him low percent, and same thing with the second match. He switched to Fox the second match, but it was just edgeguards all over.

Second match was Kwan, another very good player. He plays DK though, which is bad news for Sheik. I won 2 stock low percent, maybe JV. As I was playing the match I was thinking to myself, how does any DK do this match? Spaced jabs absolute **** DK, and it's so easy to grab him.

I also see DK as extremely linear. Bair is telegraphed very easily, and also very easily beaten by DD grabbing or just shield grabbing even. He's going to try to grab me probably every time I'm standing within 3 feet of him (lol what else is he gonna do) so easy grab baits turn into retardedly long dthrow tilt combos. Edgeguarding DK is a joke.

Maybe the main thing overall that ruins DK's chances is the huge difference in movement between the two characters. Sheik can literally dance around DK, and he's just huge and slow.

Kwan switched to Fox and took me to FoD but I managed to 3 stock him. I don't think I did anything special, maybe he just wasn't too familiar with the matchup. *Shrugs* Still a great player though, his DK is really good.

Next match I played a really good link Player named Minh, but unfortunately he got 4 stocked on FD. I don't think his head was in the game, I didn't see him trying that hard...But then again every grab I got was pretty much death so it's like, maybe that's why I didn't see much haha. But nah, I've seen Minh play much better. He switched to Marth and it was a 3 stock. I felt bad because Minh IS REALLY good, I've played enough people to know that he's a great player, and it's crazy because his playstyle is completely unique.

Picture Azen. Ok, that's it. LOL no seriously, that is Minh. Pure intelligence, with little regards as to what "works" and what doesn't. He just does what he feels works, and it does. It's awesome to watch. Although I get so upset because the potential he has is literally amazing. He's like an asian, light side of the force version of anakin skywalker. Maybe he's yoda actually. Haha, wow wtf am I talking about.

Ok, next match was against...Oh Tuna. Now here was the beginning of 2 awesome sets.

First match was a Sheik ditto on Battlefield. I love Sheik dittos. It was pretty close, I had 2 lives and he had 1. He SD'd. I was like, aww, cuz I wanted to see if he could make a comeback. I mean, don't get me wrong I woulda done my best to shut it down, but still, that's when stuff gets tense.

Second match he switched to Fox, and it was a 3 stock on DL, with it ending with a wall jump fair. Haha, I figured that's how I'd want to go out, something really cool so I was like, why not. Melee's awesome because even when you get *****, if it's impressive, true Melee players will have respect for it.

Next match was on fountain of dreams vs his Peach. Idk, can't remember that match. Peach vs Sheik seems very easy unless the Peach is gdlk. Lots of grabs and needle edgeguards. Walling with aerials, etc. 2 stock maybe, three stock idk.

Grand Finals was where it got interesting. Tuna stepped it up like crazy. He started playing much more patiently, although I still had a lot of control. It's just...He was good at playing my game I felt. In every 1 on 1 competition, there is always someone reacting and someone provoking. The provoker is controlling the pace of the match, hence the opponent, or the reactor, playing "his" game.

I never felt like I really lost control in the neutral position, with smart shield play wavelands, and knowing when he was going to attack/crouch cancel a lot of the time, I was able to do pretty well.

However, he wasn't getting *****. Far from it, it was actually very close to even. It's like, he was good at playing my game, if that makes sense, and when he got a hit off he was great at capitalizing.

He was also extremely quick, so I had to constantly be ready for anything that wouldn't seem like it was normally a feasible option, due to his quickness and speed. To compensate for that, I directed more of my focus on spacing, and I tried to stay very nimble and loose, ready to WD back or lunge forwards at any moment.

Each match was a one stock, and at the end we were both at extremely high percent when he died, and he died from a trade that almost killed me.

At that point, in the past, I would have thought to myself, "It's the last game...Am I going to win the first 5, and then lose the next 6?" That's immaturity as a player, lack of confidence allowing my thoughts and emotions to take over.

But, I didn't even think about it this time. Just the same murderous intent I began singles with. That actually makes it even more impressive for him to have gotten me that close to dying. There was no mental or emotional change in my play, it was just him getting closer and closer to beating me. Haha, it's pretty cool to think about actually. Maybe his adapting skills were better than mine, however I guess each match was 1 stock, and when he SD'd it might have been 1 stock if he didn't, so maybe we're just super close in skill.

I went for a gimp the last game at 20%, and I set it up perfectly. I took his double jump with a nair, and since the only place he had to go was up with his up B, i could get off the ledge and quickly WD back on for the edgehog. I got all the way back onto the stage, and when I tried to WD, I crouched and dodged, and got fair'd all the way across the stage for it.

Looking back on it, that's so annoying, but so awesome. A situation that I can do probably like, 50-100 times in a row without messing up...Wd fastfall ledgeghog, i miss it when I need it the most. That's a sign of inexperience. Maybe I wanted to get it so fast I rushed it, and tried to WD before my getup animation was over. I think that was it. Just a little too hasty. Next time, haha.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Progress and Thoughts

Another thing too, that controller I was breaking in...If I actually ended up using that, Tuna would have beaten me 6-0, I guarantee it. It's horrible right now, until it becomes less stiff.

No Cash, a player from PA I believe, told me to hold the L and R buttons in on my controller that automatically light shields when I press either button. It works, but I can't lightshield which is a big part of my game. However, thanks to him, I played well. If it weren't for him I def would have lost, and then I would have had "controller johns" which I think is stupid, because a controller in Melee really does make that much of a difference.

Right now, I'm working on my execution. I'm literally practicing to become frame perfect, extremely precise and accurate, and deadly because of it.

I'm practicing deeper concepts, like being explosive. Exploding from neutrality into a blow comprised of accuracy, precision, and perfect spacing...and then moving back to either neutrality or a position to push my advantage to it's maximum...All in one, smooth movement.

Top players in Melee, rather, for any sport for that matter, all have a few characteristics in common. One of the main ones is that they seem to have more "time" than their opponents. This is just what it looks like to everyone else, but really it's a combination of perfect movement with great anticipation.

No wasted movement or executions. Everything that I do will become part of a unique, refined playstyle, with every action I do designed for a specific purpose...But, the actions I do choose will be executed gracefully and intelligently.

See, there's so many things to think about and work on in Melee when you break it down to its deepest levels. Let's just take a small example from a very large part of the game, technical execution. Putting together a string of actions so perfectly that you don't leave yourself open, you accomplish a goal, and it's all one swift action. Well, the last one is just a result of the first two.

Maybe you do a SH and overshoot it, in an attempt to chase them down. At the last second, you waveland back and when they go for the punish, you grab them and punish.

If you've choppy about it or hesitant, you're going to telegraph that to any good player pretty easily. Also, if you make it look like 3 separate individual actions, it's not going to be effective.

But to explode from a previous situation such as a WD backwards to avoid an approach, and then using the above example to make it seem like you're trying to go for a stupid punish and make it look like you're going to get DD grabbed...See, the opponent just missed something cuz you WD'd backwards, so now they're going to DD away to avoid you're punish. By using the above example, and by executing it smoothly and precisely, you really look like you're going to try and punish him, but you're going to miss. That's why it works so well, you're a step ahead and they still have to focus on punishing you for the attack they think you're going to miss.

That's a small example, but the depth in it speaks for itself. It's little situations like that that define the greats, and also separate them from the rest. Also, those little situations are invisible to many people's eyes when they watch videos, and I bet there are a lot that are invisible to me as well. This is because they happen so fast and so fluidly, that it just looks like gameplay. You don't see the normal situation for what it is, because it's part of a greater, refined whole that is a top player's unique playstyle that they've developed.

Haha, Melee's awesome and so is Tuna. Great, great player.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
The General went Fox? Tsk tsk shoulda stayed Peach lol.

As always, fun read Jesiah. Sorry I'm not responding on AIM I'll do it soon. =p

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
It's all good, bed time anyways...One last thing.

In case I didn't emphasize enough, I have an immense amount of respect for Tuna. It's pretty crazy how good that man is. I def expected it though since everyone told me he was going to be that good. (OTG and PC Jona) You guys were not joking. Awesome, you guys should come to the next one if you're as good as he is. I'd love to get tossed around some more, haha. See you guys @ Rom?

TunaCasserole

Smash Journeyman
Good **** Jesse, thanks for the shouts :D

You ***** the diarrhea out of my Fox and Peach, it was actually pretty embarrassing x_x In the WF I was trying to test the waters and see if I could find a matchup you didn't like, but you handled them all very well to my dismay. Thinking back on it now, I would've liked to try Falcon, since he was playing soooooooo **** good that day. That matchup is horrifying though, so I'm not sure how well it would've gone anyway :p. Really I just wanted to try to stay clear of the sheik ditto since, as by now you're aware, I haaaaaaaaaaaaate dittos :p

The reason I did better as the matches progressed, I think, is because I became less and less afraid of the matchup, and, that is to say, more comfortable with the flow of the matches. The matchup just seems to be get a grab, ****, then get grabbed, get *****. It's incredibly dynamic, and so I had to put myself in the mindset of "it's alright if I'm a stock down", since one grab can even things up very quickly.

I was definitely impressed with how you baited grabs -- apart from us tomahawking each other constantly during the whole match, you spaced yourself very well and capitalized even better. I actually tried to steal that spacing and incorporate it as much as I could midmatch, and it made a fair difference in my opinion. Like you were saying, I was doing my best to "play your game", but certainly, now that I think about it, I do remember thinking to myself that you were constantly the "leader", always setting the pace at the start of our matches, almost always taking the first stock and such.

Anyways, goooooood ****! I'll do my best to learn more about the matchup. Next tourney, maybe I'll at least take a few games :)

Jesiah is destined for greatness! All you nyukakas watch out for him.

Having now explained why Jesiah is so good....

$5 on PC JONA NIGAGAGAGAGAGAGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Edit: Imma do my best to get to Rom also, but honestly it's not looking great. Finding a ride will be difficult ahah.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Jesiah just FYI Userblogs is fixed and you can begin using your post there if you wish.

I'm going to leave this though because I feel it's appropriate and interesting for all melee players to read. If it gets spammy though, I'll have to do something about it.

otg

Smash Master
****, now I can't spam this thread with my usual trollin and $5 on Jona nonsense. Oh well.

All the best Jesse, I hope we get to play at ROM. Keep playing with Tuna, he needs good practice up there because I know he's barely playing at school.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
otg- What do ou mean trolling? I have 5$ on Jona too, haha you're fine man, don't worry about it. Your posts are welcome.

Sweet, userblogs is fixed, I can keep posting in there now. But should I? Well let's see here...To answer where I should keep posting, a question needs to be asked ( I Know the answer but just to keep things clear): What is the point of the thread?

Since I started playing Melee, I always find myself wondering how the best players did it. How did they practice, how often did they lose/win, what motivated them, what upset them, how much do they play, what is their mindset, etc. That stuff was so interesting to me. When you look at a pro's videos, it's very inspirational, and you see high level play at its finest. But, you're only seeing the results of everything they went through to get there.

A lot of those pros go on to start threads and really help the community, PP is a great example of that, as well as countless other dedicated and generous players. I could name them all, but that would take too long. I think that's great, but again, there's still not really a clear picture or story of how they got there.

So, the point of this thread is so that when I actually do reach the level I'm aiming for, there's no mystery. People will be able to read back from when I started my Smash trip this summer, throughout all the pages where I literally just dump my thoughts out, completely uncensored and raw. Some of my posts are ******** if you look at the old thread, but the point is, at the level I'm at right now and even previously, I'd feel more than priveleged to be able to peer inside the mind of a pro before they were as good as they are now. It's always interesting to see their thoughts now, but what about all the things they were wrong about? What about the things they were right about way back before they even knew anything?

So, I don't know. Given what I just said above, do you guys think it would be better in User Blogs or keep it here? There's a lot of good threads in Melee Discussion so I don't want to contaminate the forum with my silliness...But, it is called "Melee Discussion" and we are discussing Melee so, it is what it is. I guess for now I'll leave it here cuz I'm used to it here, but if mods or other people want it moved it's not a problem.

Tuna- You are destined for greatness my friend, and your friends Niko, PC Jona and otg. You guys all seem to have a love for the game, and if you can all play with each other...Well, that's what this community needs to keep it going, new talented players with dedication and access to each other. You guys do your best to play with each other and push each other, and whenever you can get to me Tuna you know I'll play whenever haha.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
i wish rochester wasnt so freaking far lol

i hate playing vs sheik

but if i play with someone for a long time i learn to adapt

i would probly go falco

edit $5 on PC Jona

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
That's what's tough about tournament matches, you have very little time to adapt. It's not like sitting down and playing someone for a few hours, which is a completely different game in itself.

5$ on jona

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
exactly lol

thats why you gotta use mad mindgames

like tomahawk > genious >shine grab lol

Darkshadow96

Smash Journeyman
Man... Reading this thread sure has inspired me. Jesiah's post, Umbreon's, Kage's, they all make so much sense. It really gives me a good mindset to think about at my next tourneys. Thank you all.

Top Bottom