• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Project M Social Thread Gold

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
It's that time of the month again folks!

Someone pick one of the following:

Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii ga Nai
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon
Yu-Gi-Oh
Dragon Ball
Katawa Shoujo
Katawa Shoujo(2)
Touhou
Touhou(2)
Two and a Half Men
The Legend of Zelda
One Piece
Katanagatari
Naruto
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Inuyasha
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Super Mario Bros.
Runescape
Warhammer 40k
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SWAT Kats: The Radical Squadron
Homestuck
Serial Exeiriments Lain
What's the stakes?

I don't tknow what's going on.

Depending on that is whether or not I'll choose Zelda or not.

shairn

Your favorite anime is bad.
3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
It's to pick his avatar for the month of september. It's a list of stuff he has a cereal box picture of, or some other miscellaneous snack.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
air conditioner broke in our house
Pfft I hear you

Except I LIVE IN COACHELLA

Daaaaamn, I can't imagine this weather without an AC. The sweating would be real.
Yes it is

Fortunately swamp cooler works today, and coach is dry today.

I still feel you though standard toaster a/c broke about the start of august, humiiiiiid

Last edited:

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
Kingdom Hearts I & II
Ace Combat 4
God of War 1 & 2
I have played all of those except ace combat 4, kingdom hearts ranks among my favorite in terms of gameplay
The story tends to annoy me in certain aspects, but I forever consider it a very good game, will definitely be getting the HD remix of KH2, so I can get final mix
What makes Ace Combat 4 a good game?
PS1 / PS2: Sly Cooper series, Ratchet and clank series, Jak and Daxter series, Legend of Dragoon, FF7-9, Crash Bandicoot.
Too many good games to list.
Never played the Sly Cooper series, but I've played a few of the Ratchet games. The last one I played in that series was Deadlocked. I've played all the Jak games, loved all of them (I think 2 was the weakest, since it got stale near late-mid). What is Legend of Dragoon? I've never heard of that.

I should probably clarify myself. I am very, VERY picky and reluctant when it comes to buying games. After wasting my money on numerous disappointments (Other M, Brawl, Infamous 2 to name a couple), I do not want to buy a game until I am SURE it is going to be worth the amount I pay for it. I want a game that has good mechanics that don't become stale within the first hour of playing, and a game that doesn't take <20 hours to beat it. I want a game that is engaging, and one that I can stand all the way through.

I firmly believe that a good game will last forever, and will always be good no matter the time. Average games that die out before the end of the year and bad games that make you regret buying it are not worth playing.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
I firmly believe that a good game will last forever, and will always be good no matter the time. .
Um, that's an odd standard to have. Since standards change over time and once good games (that were genuinely good) lose much of their quality and become merely average with advances in gameplay.

Such as sports games or racing games trying to replicate realism, eclipsed by later efforts.

And platformers like Mario 64, Jak and Daxter, and Banjo-Kazooie don't hold up either with the fetch-quests, and repetitiveness.

I would argue Kingdom Hearts too but I can tell you don't agree because you've set it in the canon of forever good games.....

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Um, that's an odd standard to have. Since standards change over time and once good games (that were genuinely good) lose much of their quality and become merely average with advances in gameplay.

Such as sports games or racing games trying to replicate realism, eclipsed by later efforts.

And platformers like Mario 64, Jak and Daxter, and Banjo-Kazooie don't hold up either with the fetch-quests, and repetitiveness.

I would argue Kingdom Hearts too but I can tell you don't agree because you've set it in the canon of forever good games.....
I can agree, but it comes down to ones tastes as well.

Just for loose example; Mario 64 is probably still my favorite mario game. Yeah I've played plenty after it but it's the one I really like the most. Even though newer ones control better they just don't feel as fun to play. It's probably the level design.

Mario sunshine comes close but I've never had the time to fully enjoy it since I only borrowed it from a friend. I think I could of enjoyed that one more though.

Galaxy just didn't do it for me though.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Good games don't become worse simply because better looking games exist. Racing/sports games becoming obsolete due to age is only a testament to how terrible these genre are. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are still masterpieces despite technological advances in Zelda games, simply because they're well built in their story, gameplay and challenge. Unlike modern iterations.

Repetitiveness was never popular, so the idea that any of these cult games lost quality because repetitiveness is just as unacceptable as it always was makes no sense. If you ask me, their mechanics and challenges vary much more than many, many modern games.

Last edited:

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Because early 3D games were made before we knew how much better they could be, just like early 2D games have looser gameplay compared to those of the 90s. When a medium is young there is much experimentation to see what works.

Zelda being great today doesn't invalidate the issues of its peers, which have aged much more in more than graphics.

Mario 64 has zero challenge, it's an easy game today. Climbing up a simple structure to grab a star over and over again is not all that compelling, nor does this pattern vary much.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Mario 64 has zero challenge, it's an easy game today. Climbing up a simple structure to grab a star over and over again is not all that compelling, nor does this pattern vary much.
I haven't played 64 in a long while, But I feel like there is more to it than that in terms of obstacles and what not.

Like I'm pretty sure that 64 has more challenge than Ocarina of time.

metroid1117

Smash Master
The story tends to annoy me in certain aspects, but I forever consider it a very good game, will definitely be getting the HD remix of KH2, so I can get final mix
Don't forget being able to play BBS:FM with a proper PS3 controller :p. (I've never played BBS at all, so I'm really looking forward to it.)

Kingdom Hearts has always been one of my favorite games because it's an RPG with real-time combat, so there's more execution skill involved than selecting/queuing actions to be performed. I know there are some people who really like turn-based combat, but it's just not my thing.

Last edited:

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
Madoka w/ 3 votes!

I have played all of those except ace combat 4, kingdom hearts ranks among my favorite in terms of gameplay
What makes Ace Combat 4 a good game?

Never played the Sly Cooper series, but I've played a few of the Ratchet games. The last one I played in that series was Deadlocked. I've played all the Jak games, loved all of them (I think 2 was the weakest, since it got stale near late-mid). What is Legend of Dragoon? I've never heard of that.

I should probably clarify myself. I am very, VERY picky and reluctant when it comes to buying games. After wasting my money on numerous disappointments (Other M, Brawl, Infamous 2 to name a couple), I do not want to buy a game until I am SURE it is going to be worth the amount I pay for it. I want a game that has good mechanics that don't become stale within the first hour of playing, and a game that doesn't take <20 hours to beat it. I want a game that is engaging, and one that I can stand all the way through.

I firmly believe that a good game will last forever, and will always be good no matter the time. Average games that die out before the end of the year and bad games that make you regret buying it are not worth playing.
Ace Combat 4 has some of the most rewarding aerial combat in any game. It's definitely the best of the Ace Combats that I've played, which are 4, 5, 6 and Zero. The storytelling is much better without the CGI, and I really connected with it.

Also the music is awesome.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
"Mechanics and Challenges"

Like...? Those games were a part of an era where 3D platforming was just emerging and to say that they're more varied than "many, many modern games" seems like a pretty bold statement. Super Mario 3D World felt like it had more variety than Super Mario 64, for example.

Last edited:

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
Mario 64 has always been an easy game. It's a casual game. It starts out ultra easy and becomes moderately challenging. The question isn't how hard it is on the grand scale of things, but what the difficulty progression is like. And yes, everything seems deceptively repetitive when you explain the premise in a single sentence. But it says nothing about the stage variety and different mechanics in each stages.
"Mechanics and Challenges"

Like...? Those games were a part of an era where 3D platforming was just emerging and say that they're more varied than "many, many modern games" seems like a pretty bold statement. Super Mario 3D World felt like it had more variety than Super Mario 64, for example.
Of course it had more variety, it's the same game with even more things added to it.

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I think whether or not a game ages well is a case by case basis.... except in the case of the visuals of the 32/64 bit era.
Take off the nostalgia goggles and those games look hideous by today and are harder to look at than games from the 16-bit era due to the blockiness of everything.

Pixels > Pointy bits

Anyway, it also depends on genre and the advancements made in it (and whether they were good and bad). Goldeneye 007 and the original Perfect Dark do not age well at all without NGs because there were so many advancements made in FPSes since those games were made to the point where they feel very archaic.

Another example of a great game not aging well at all is FF7. Not only is the presentation/graphics hard to look at now, but everything about the game, from the characters, character design, and story has been hit with the Seinfeld Effect; all of those elements became reused and overused to the point where almost everyone got sick of them/became cliche. Way back then, almos all of those elements were unheard of outside of a few exceptions,
like Phantasy Star 2 doing the perma character plotline death first.

There's also a factor of some games being difficult to get back to because of being used to mechanics from newer games and/or entries in the same series.
For example, MGS2 can be rather awkward at first when you play it with a game plan built around MGS3's 3rd person camera and CQC.

There's other ways games can age badly too I bet.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Another example of a great game not aging well at all is FF7. Not only is the presentation/graphics hard to look at, but everything about the game, from the characters, character design, and story has been hit with the Seinfeld Effect; all of those elements became reused and overused to the point where almost everyone got sick of them.
I still haven't played through ff7 to this day and i know for some reason that I would definitely enjoy that game significantly, despite everything you just said.

PMS | Tink-er

fie on thee
NNID
emptymetaphor
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
If a game gets remade, and more quality content is added to it, and nothing is taken away, then the remake is the better game/

shairn

3DS FC
4742-6323-2961
I still haven't played through ff7 to this day and i know for some reason that I would definitely enjoy that game significantly, despite everything you just said.
That's likely due to the power of suggestion.

Last edited:

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Context and experience are usually more important on whether or not a person can play/enjoy older games.

Edit: I am doing way too much edits on these posts...

Last edited:

Mansta

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
NNID
WafflePi
3DS FC
1564-3739-4600
Switch FC
SW-6415-9435-2510
Mario 64 is easy af to me because I played it so much, it was one of my only games for almost 5 years.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Mario 64 is easy af to me because I played it so much, it was one of my only games for almost 5 years.
Yyyyup.
Second N64 game (First was Starfox 64) until 1997's christmas for me.
For someone who hasn't played platformers or aren't very good at them, the Bowser stages and the last few stages(Rainbow Ride, Tick Tock Clock, and Tall Tall Mountain I think) can be brutal.

Last edited:

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget being able to play BBS:FM with a proper PS3 controller :p. (I've never played BBS at all, so I'm really looking forward to it.)
Oh yeah, thank you for reminding me. I never played BBS, so I will be getting two games in one then in this case.

Ace Combat 4 has some of the most rewarding aerial combat in any game. It's definitely the best of the Ace Combats that I've played, which are 4, 5, 6 and Zero. The storytelling is much better without the CGI, and I really connected with it.

Also the music is awesome.
I remember playing the Ace Combats on the Playstation 1 as a kid, and having loads of fun with that. I think my dad has an Ace Combat for the PS3? I don't remember.
I'll have to check 4 out.

Also I'm gonna my two cents into my idea of an ideal game. My ideal game would be a game with similar depth and replayability found in high quality multiplayer games and fighting games.

Last edited:

HyperrCrow

Emotional Reality
Kingdom Hearts has always been one of my favorite games because it's an RPG with real-time combat, so there's more execution skill involved than selecting/queuing actions to be performed. I know there are some people who really like turn-based combat, but it's just not my thing.
Thissssssss
I love KH2 to death, parting with my PS2 way back when was extremely hard because of my love for this game. I put countless hours into it and playing Final Mix on the emulator has been a blast.

For the Mario 64 talk, that game is amazing. Of course I'm biased because I played it for so long on VC to the point where I started speedrunning 16-star at home whenever I had the chance.

OSCA MIKE

Smash Journeyman
This is a random question, but

What is it about older games that keeps you playing them?

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
(What was all that noise Smashboards? It included my previous message with this one 0.0)
DO IT

@ Comeback Kid Comeback Kid
@ MysteryRevengerson MysteryRevengerson
@ OSCA MIKE OSCA MIKE

(Heck I might find myself tagging a ton of ppl)
SSON play chrono trigger. Some things are just good, and Chrono Cross next; see if you think it is an improvement on the first game.
the consensus that it is NOT is so strong that I stopped looking for a copy.

For what it's worth, folks.

I was born in the middle of 1990. I am of the "N64/PS1/PC generation". Yet, my two favorite games of all time are on SNES (Chrono Trigger, A Link to the Past) and I actively seek Turbographix 16 games.

or is that spelled Turbographics 16?

I have played the original Need for Speed; it sucks and was for the "Real 3DO"

Not all games on the 3DO sucked though. Man if I could find the alien 1v1 star fighter game I would go ape $#|+ over it.

Command & Conquer for PS1 is infinitely superior to Starcraft for N64; Command & Conquer for PC is better than both but just as forgotten while Starcraft for pc is widely considered the greatest RTS of all time, (so also Chrono Trigger <debatably> the greatest game of all time) and these all came out at the start of my "gaming career". So yes it can be claimed that my generation is nostalgic...

But we have better reason than your Call of Duty 12, your Battlefield 5, your Need For Speed 99, your madden 2015.

Therefore, see if you do not yourself tout your Super Smash Brothers Melee, Project M, League of Legends, DotA 2, Warhammer 40K, Borderlands 1&2, Skyrim, Portal 1&2, etc to the next generation! For games do not age; new ones are simply born with greater technology.

The logic folks are using here reeks of calling Plato a bad philosopher because Newton came later, and saying Einstein is a better physicist than Newton for the same reason.

Although partly true, each of those guys would facepalm to hear you say it.

I think whether or not a game ages well is a case by case basis.... except in the case of the visuals of the 32/64 bit era.
Take off the nostalgia goggles and those games look hideous by today and are harder to look at than games from the 16-bit era due to the blockiness of everything.

Pixels > Pointy bits

Anyway, it also depends on genre and the advancements made in it (and whether they were good and bad). Goldeneye 007 and the original Perfect Dark do not age well at all without NGs because there were so many advancements made in FPSes since those games were made to the point where they feel very archaic.

Another example of a great game not aging well at all is FF7. Not only is the presentation/graphics hard to look at now, but everything about the game, from the characters, character design, and story has been hit with the Seinfeld Effect; all of those elements became reused and overused to the point where almost everyone got sick of them/became cliche. Way back then, almos all of those elements were unheard of outside of a few exceptions,
like Phantasy Star 2 doing the perma character plotline death first.

There's also a factor of some games being difficult to get back to because of being used to mechanics from newer games and/or entries in the same series.
For example, MGS2 can be rather awkward at first when you play it with a game plan built around MGS3's 3rd person camera and CQC.

There's other ways games can age badly too I bet.
this is pretty generally true. Oot was hard to look at as is MM (still loving both games though!) whereas Chrono Trigger is actually a game that got me to pause* and admire scenery for a minute. Wish they had had more room.

To fully enjoy FF7 you should keep in mind that it is the first. I think Saito would appreciate this.

*not pause the game, stop progressing for a bit

Last edited:

the man

Smash Apprentice

Sly cooper games aren't too long but on your first playthrough it'll take maybe 10-15 hours on the first game and 15-25 on the next two. That's if you like collecting stuff for pretty cool bonuses. The Sly collection is 30$ on PSN or Gamestop plus it's an HD remake, I think that's a bargain.

If you're looking for a long game that doesn't get stale then Legend of Dragoon is your game. LoD is basically an old school RPG with a new twist on turn based combat that was overlooked by the release of FF7. First playthrough will take about 40-50 hours. Probably 15 hours on the first disc. The best part? It's 6 bucks on PSN. Didn't sell nearly as well as FF but I personally enjoyed it more than FF7. Also, If you haven't played FF9, do it. My personal favorite FF. I think it's 10 bucks.

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
This is a random question, but

What is it about older games that keeps you playing them?
Well, I recently replayed DK64 because when I first beat it, I had failed to collect the last set of banana medals.
(No one told me I was supposed to pick them up!:c)

And that multiplayer mode is still pretty fun to me, I play it with friends from time to time.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Well, I recently replayed DK64 because when I first beat it, I had failed to collect the last set of banana medals.
(No one told me I was supposed to pick them up!:c)

And that multiplayer mode is still pretty fun to me, I play it with friends from time to time.
Banjo Kazooie?

But yes the arena on all lanky is hilarious, you can laugh like laddergoat with no substance aid of any sort

Get huge & fast and long jump toward the screen

Last edited:

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Except for Mech levels. :( Also ruining Tails's gameplay in the process.

Also in terms of old games vs. nostalgia, I recommend people go back and try and play FF6, really keeping your mind open to criticizing everything that's going on. It's really not as good of a game as I had it held up to be in my head. Chrono Trigger is by far the more timeless classic.

Apronoob

Smash Rookie
Quick question about PM tourneys (or just tourneys in general).

At every tourney I've been to or seen, there are older T.V's. I've heard its something to do with the lag that newer t.v.s have, but I only train on a newer t.v. which makes adjusting to the older ones really hard. While playing at home I can pull off all of my combos and AT's but on the older t.v's I can't pull off even a quarter of what I'm capable of.

Should I just go out and buy an older t.v. or is there another way around this?

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
Quick question about PM tourneys (or just tourneys in general).

At every tourney I've been to or seen, there are older T.V's. I've heard its something to do with the lag that newer t.v.s have, but I only train on a newer t.v. which makes adjusting to the older ones really hard. While playing at home I can pull off all of my combos and AT's but on the older t.v's I can't pull off even a quarter of what I'm capable of.

Should I just go out and buy an older t.v. or is there another way around this?
Go to goodwill.

However this is an excellent point; we COULD get used to either but ultimately better response = less frustration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom